degrees and distance?

Rawktru

Hi this is my first forum post, well because i've run into a little trouble. I've decided to take up a local geocache, a multi, and i've hit a snag. The first two coordanits were bang on and i was able to find the caches but the second cache didn't have coords in it but a degree and distance ie 286° 160m. i've tryed to figure this out to no avil. Hopefully some one here can help me out.

--Jeff

Welcome to the forums!

Have you asked the owner for a hint?

However, this is not so much a puzzle as it is a lesson in orienteering or your GPS.

You can take out a trust compass from the initial point and (after knowing approximately how many of your steps are in a meter) take paces at a bearing of 286° (West-Northwest).

OR

There's usually a feature on your GPS to "project a waypoint" - which would do it for you.

OR

There's software called FizzyCalc that will project a waypoint knowing the distance and bearing.

You have not indicated if the 286° is referenced to TRUE North or MAGNETIC North. Lets assume for Geocaching purposes they used TRUE North. A FizzyCalc projection or a GPS unit projection has already been suggested. Or you could just determine which direction 286° is. Mark your location and walk in that direction till the GPS indicates you are 160 meters away from your mark. Determine the magnetic declination for your area (difference between TRUE North and MAGNETIC North) in case you need to search both areas. Note for reference: West by Northwest is exactly 285°.

You have not indicated if the 286° is referenced to TRUE North or MAGNETIC North. Lets assume for Geocaching purposes they used TRUE North. A FizzyCalc projection or a GPS unit projection has already been suggested. Or you could just determine which direction 286° is. Mark your location and walk in that direction till the GPS indicates you are 160 meters away from your mark. Determine the magnetic declination for your area (difference between TRUE North and MAGNETIC North) in case you need to search both areas. Note for reference: West by Northwest is exactly 285°.

Whether true or magnetic, if you don't know which, just mark as mentioned, walk in the 286° direction and then search in an arc in the general area of the 286° at 160 meters. One can do this with no special tools nor access to internet or computer. Just use your GPS.

I always use an arc to search for these type caches like so:

951534c6-ec7d-4b26-ac9e-84b4441aef59.jpg.

This is actually an interesting topic for me, although I am not even close to attempting of these caches (but a good one to save to favorites).

I think my GPS does allow me to "project a waypoint" (Garmin HCX Vista).

That being said, I would like to get a suggested website (not just do a google search, but one that will actually teach me something) to learn more about these orienteering basics - I know I am backing into this, but it would be nice to actually understand the process behind the GPS, instead of just following the GPS blindly.

Thank goodness I can mark the location of my campsite, it saves so much time when I head off to take the scenic route :D

Thanks in advance!

:D

Wow i've certainly sparked quite the conversation, thanks for all the help guys i didn't even get a chance to read all the others because right when Markwell replied i tested out the projecting waypoints feature on my etrex legend and set out to find my cache! thanks again all!!

--Jeff

This is actually an interesting topic for me, although I am not even close to attempting of these caches (but a good one to save to favorites).

That being said, I would like to get a suggested website (not just do a google search, but one that will actually teach me something) to learn more about these orienteering basics - I know I am backing into this, but it would be nice to actually understand the process behind the GPS, instead of just following the GPS blindly.

Thank goodness I can mark the location of my campsite, it saves so much time when I head off to take the scenic route :D

Thanks in advance!

:angry:

Projecting works good, but you are left with a single waypoint. If you mark the starting point (often a hard planted memorial or landmark) you can use the "rubber band" mode to make that arc....

6 of one, half dozen of the other. I prefer the latter.

Projecting works good, but you are left with a single waypoint. If you mark the starting point (often a hard planted memorial or landmark) you can use the "rubber band" mode to make that arc....

And if you don't want to have to search a whole arc, and do not know if it's magnetic or true north based, and do not want to do a 'projection', you can use your GPS's settings to do the work for you.

I.E. Set your starting point as a waypoint. 'GOTO' it. Set your GPS to True north. Walk that distance while keeping the reverse bearing whats written in the cache till you hit the distance written. If there is no cache there then change your GPS to Magnetic North. And walk the short distance along the arc till the back bearing gets back to what's written. The GPS does the magnetic declination for you.

Thanks in advance!

:D

Garmin has a manual on using your GPS with a paper map that provides a explanation of some of these basics. It's a bit out of date when it comes to the features that newer units may provide but it has some very useful information.

And if you don't want to have to search a whole arc, and do not know if it's magnetic or true north based, and do not want to do a 'projection', you can use your GPS's settings to do the work for you.

I.E. Set your starting point as a waypoint. 'GOTO' it. Set your GPS to True north. Walk that distance while keeping the reverse bearing whats written in the cache till you hit the distance written. If there is no cache there then change your GPS to Magnetic North. And walk the short distance along the arc till the back bearing gets back to what's written. The GPS does the magnetic declination for you.

I thought I said that... but thanks for the clarification.