A trip to Steep Holm

With the disappointment of missing out on the Geocaching Flat Holm trip fresh in my mind (I booked too late and another large party filled the boat), I figured I'd console myself by going to Steep Holm instead. A bigger challenge for me as the only boat that currently lands there only sails occasionally and from Weston Super Mare - a distance for me in South West Wales - but not un-doable for a day trip as the Severn Bridge is about an hour's drive from where I live and I gather Weston is another hour and a bit.

Very provisionally, without confirming how many places are available, I'm thinking of going on the 2nd August. It's a full day on the island (someone told me they leave you for an entire tidal cycle but I may be wrong as there used to be a paddle boat that definitely did this) and leaves Weston around 9am (depending on the trip).

For me, it has to be a weekend and the 2nd is the only Saturday in August they sail. There are a couple of Sunday sailings later on in the month but I'd prefer Saturdays if possible (I'll post details of these other dates when I get the timetable).

Anyway - anyone interested in joining me? I gather most sailings are pretty full so I won't be alone, but it would be nice to have some Geocachers come along. There are two caches on the island - one that hasn't been found yet (though I dare say it will probably have been found by then).

Currently, I've got to wait for a printed timetable before I can take this any further, which should arrive early next week. Unfortunately they also don't take credit card payments - just cheques. Obviously they also say that the trip can be cancelled at short notice (with refund) if there's a cancellation.

Once a date has been agreed and if there are a few coming from South Wales, perhaps a lift-share could be arranged to save on fuel costs?

If you're interested in coming along, contact me through my Geocaching contact page (and post here to let others know you're interested) and I'll get back to the people who arrange the sailings early on next week to see what possibilities are available. If numbers don't work out for this date, maybe I'll consider a September date, but I'm working with 2nd August at the moment as its the only concrete date I have.

... Obviously they also say that the trip can be cancelled at short notice (with refund) if there's a cancellation.

Indeed! A group of 8 of us from the South East were due to be going there today, but the ferry was cancelled because of forecast high winds.

Rgds, Andy

Yes please put our names down for this trip. :D:D We'd love to join you. :D

P.M. us to let us know any more details as to costs, times etc.

... Obviously they also say that the trip can be cancelled at short notice (with refund) if there's a cancellation.

Indeed! A group of 8 of us from the South East were due to be going there today, but the ferry was cancelled because of forecast high winds.

Rgds, Andy

We tried to get to Flatholm 4 times before we eventually made it on the fifth attempt. Each time it was cancelled due to bad weather.

I can not make this as I will be at the Mega Event.

I want to do this trip this year and still hope to go either before or after you.

Don't forget you can also log the trig point and you could be first to log this as a cache. It was placed in May 2005 and as far as I can tell hasn't been found yet.

Hope you have a good trip.

Dave - The Gecko's

Would have been up for this, but I will also be at the Mega so won't be able to join you you either.....

However I know I am one of quite a few Somerset and Bristol cachers who are also very keen to head to Steep Holm, so maybe we could organise a trip for another date?

Hope you have a great time!

The Mega Event... Ah.

I knew there was something on that weekend that I should be aware of as I still might be going to this...

You can tell I didn't put my brain in gear this morning. Okey, 2nd is not a good date to plan for - I'll wait for their literature to come through and re-think the dates...

And yes, I've known a few people who have made more than one attempt to get to this Steep Holm, some still haven't made it.

As I was reading this I thought you had said you were going to the mega!!!!!

We will be at the mega event as well and also plan on going to Lundy and Flat Holm within the next 6 weeks!!! Sorry to hear you missed out on the one trip, there might be a cancellation from the other group and you might still make it!!!!

I was booked on that sailing too - for the Trig.

My brother and I are now rebooked for Sun 28 Sept (of course it's never windy late Sept :ph34r: )

Rob

Are there any sailings that go to Steep Holm and Flat Holm on the same trip?

Sadly no. Not only that, there are no sailings from the same country that go to both islands!

There are two companies* who provide regular services to Flatholm, sailing from Cardiff that I'm aware of and only one to Steepholm from Weston Super Mare.

As I'm now booked into the Flatholm trip I'll put the Steepholm trip back to another later date - I still really want to go there though.

I don't know what the situation is if you've got your own boat - I gather both are nature reserves and I don't know if there are any restrictions on landing. I know for sure that the Steepholm trips are always accompanied by members of the trust.

* I haven't been able to check, but one of these may not actually land.