What you do when you don't have a GPS but still want to geocache.

iGeoCache

here is an idea you can try, pick a cache that has a 1/1 rating that is close to you or in an area that you know. then copy and paste the coords into google earth. you can get a pretty good idea where you should be looking and go and try to find it. this is how i found my 1st cache. it was in the local cemetary and by counting the rows of headstones along a tree line i was able to find it pretty easily, it was under a tree. until you get a gps, read all the great tips on the site and start making some plans to get your caches! good luck and welcome

Honestly you can cache without a GPS. Tougher to do, but you can.

Write down all the info for a cache in a notebook, then using google earth, pinpoint the location as close as you can in the viewer. Thankfully in Indiana we have a high resolution, so we can see a tree.

But you can get close.

Most cache owners will give you more then enough hints to really pin it down, and then they usually give you a good idea of what the cache itself is.

Just spend time.

My first post.

Fist you get an account with google.

Then click this link and click add to maps

Next you go to http://maps.google.com/ and click my maps.

Now find Get Lat/Long and select it.

Now any spot you click on google maps will show...

Example:

Latitude Longitude

42.505 -84.1784

42° 30' 17" N 84° 10' 42" W

And for you geocachers...

N 42° 30.300 W 084° 10.707

Cool huh?

Now when you do your cache searches use the map option so you know where to start dropping you Lat/Long finder and move it around until it is dead on. Then switch to satellite view and start zooming. Print or memorize the view at a level that will give you good landmarks.

NOW GET HUNTING!

Edited by Vater_Araignee

While it is possible to search for caches without a GPS, the listing guidelines do state that you need a GPS for hiding a cache.

Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

While it is possible to search for caches without a GPS, the listing guidelines do state that you need a GPS for hiding a cache.

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

And I can tell you that if you know how to find your Longitude and latitude then with some simple math you can have more accurate coordinates than most GPS units can provide.

In urban/suburban areas, there are usually enough landmarks visible on Google Maps to get you close enough to a cache to find it. Just copy and paste the coordinates and zoom in on the satellite view, then print the page and take it with you.

You really should get a GPS, though, if you are serious about geocaching. Rural areas are generally pretty featureless on Google Maps.

Not trying to be a troll, but there is another way. Google Earth gave me accurate cache co-ordinates for my first cache plant. Here's how I did it:

Start Google Earth. Zoom into the place where you wish to plant your cache. Get in about 300 - 500 meters above ground and look around. Find the exact place where your cache will be. Tap it with your mouse pointer. At the bottom of the screen you will see a little bar which lists the exact GPS co-ordinates - in degrees, minutes and seconds, no less. Write that down, then go plant your cache, then come back and report it here.

Laugh if you like, but that's how I planted my cache, and it's quite findable, I assure you. :D