How can I find a Wherigo cache without a Garmin CO or Pocket PC

wakebrd

I'm in an area that has a wheigo cache. I don't have a Garmin Colorado or pocket PC. I was told that I could find the cache with a laptop. How can I go about finding this cache? I want to be able to add a ne symbol to my stats. Any help would be great.

Ed (wakebrd)

www.wakebrd.com

GC1A738 So Simple. Even a Caveman can find it.

OK, I was looking in your listed home state!

This is so simple. Sorry, I couldn't resist! It looks so simple (this time).

The cache page tells you everything you need to know:

Laptop's can download the builder and use the emulator option."

Within the Wherigo builder (used for building Wherigo cartridges) there is an emulator. The emulator is used to check out how a cartridge works without actually having to be at the location of the cache. Think of it a simulator.

So here are the steps:

1. Download the latest version of the builder to your computer (laptop/desktop).

2. Install it.

3. Download the cartridge to the same computer.

4. Open the Wherigo builder.

5. Open the Emulator.

6. Run the cartridge. This involves visting all the zones and following instructions. May take a while to get the hang of this.

7. From taking a quick glance it looks like at the end of the cartridge you will receive the final coords to the cache itself.

Come back and let us know how it goes (either way)!

Good luck,

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

FTF on all 3 of Michigans Wherigo Caches

Edited by DeRock & The Psychic Cacher

I must not have something loaded right. I've tried on 2 other computers and get a error message.

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Unable to load DLL ZoneEngine.dll’. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Within the Wherigo builder (used for building Wherigo cartridges) there is an emulator. The emulator is used to check out how a cartridge works without actually having to be at the location of the cache. Think of it a simulator.

So here are the steps:

1. Download the latest version of the builder to your computer (laptop/desktop).

2. Install it.

5. Open the Emulator.

6. Run the cartridge. This involves visting all the zones and following instructions. May take a while to get the hang of this.

7. From taking a quick glance it looks like at the end of the cartridge you will receive the final coords to the cache itself.

Good luck,

Deane

Make sure you have the following requirements for the Builder install before you try installing:

Operating Systems: Windows 2000 SP3; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP SP2

Memory: 128 MB of RAM

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (Get it now)

Hint....it's usually the last one that hangs most people up. The .NET Framework is free, but it does require some time to install.

Thank you for those nice, easy, simple steps. I hope to take the emulator to the Battle of Franklin site tomorrow and find this cache.

So here are the steps:

2. Install it.

5. Open the Emulator.

Good luck,

Deane

Just a heads up to others following this thread-

The cartridge and geocache mentioned by the origianl poster invited the player to use the emulator to play the cartridge and find the cache.

Some who have created a Wherigo geocache and associated cartridge do not appreciate that this "shortcut" exists. They may, in fact, consider it cheating.

To combat this shortcut some are now using techniques to prevent the use of the emulator to play their cartridges.

So be aware - the instructions I've outlined above may or may not work for each cartridge.

Deane

I will in fact be attempting the emulator "trick" very shortly & report back as there hasn't been a response. For your efforts, I greatly appreciate this. I will probably be flamed for this, but I don't care for the proprietary software, yet I do appreciate the ideas of the Wherigo & for what it stands for. As I see them, they are a multi for virtual locations, fantastic! What I do disagree with is the cost of the hardware that are capable of running the Wherigo cartridges. For this reason alone, I will be taking my laptop to my closest Wherigo & hoping that I can gather all the information before the battery dies in hopes of collecting the final.

The only other Wherigo that I have ever done was when there was 4 of us following one person & his very high end Garmin. While I fully understand that the Wherigo is supported by Geocaching, it is not their product, however I firmly believe that there was never any intention on anyone's part to create an exclusive club for those that can perform the Wherigo caches. So in short, those of us who have to do an emulator "cheat/hack" as it is called, don't hate on us. :ph34r: We're still going from site to site & making the hike & enjoying what you the creators have mastered for us. We just have to do it in a non-conventional way. B)

In the three years since this thread was last used, other Wherigo players have come on the scene. Where Garmin once led the way in this field, they have since fallen back and will soon drop out of the race as evidenced by the fact that their new Montana won't do Wherigos.

I'd say the players that are taking over are iPhone and Droid. Each has an app that is at least as functional as what Garmin put out. The iPhone app can even download carts directly without syncing to your computer. Yes, there is still cost associated with owning one of these devices, but such smartphones are becoming ubiquitous in our society. This is a good thing since Wherigo can (one day) take advantage of these interconnected devices and we can create more interesting interactive multiplayer carts.