Owner Email Notification

Team ARK-ville

:) In the last couple days when I receive email notification that one of my travel bugs has been placed or that one of the items on my watch list has been logged, the email comes thru blank. There is nothing in the body of the email.

Is anyone else having this problem?

The weekly geocache newsletter seems to be working fine.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by arkville

I am having similar problems. Do you have AVG Anti Virus? I have my suspicions that the free version I have is giving me less than my money's worth. The message on the base of e-mails that certifies that it has been scanned has turned to gibberish too.

~erik~

I am having similar problems. Do you have AVG Anti Virus? I have my suspicions that the free version I have is giving me less than my money's worth. The message on the base of e-mails that certifies that it has been scanned has turned to gibberish too.

~erik~

We had the same thing happen to us and also the gibberish. We also have the free version of AVG. So, John uninstalled and then reinstalled the program. All is now just fine.

Shirley~

Today is the first time I have noticed this. I have had 3 like that today. On one somebody had logged 'Found cache' on one of my caches and when I looked at the cache page for that cache there was no new log. showing there. The other 2 were for a travel bug grabbed and placed in another cache. I am using AVG free also but that would not have anything to do with the log not showing on the cache page.

Same here today but completely blank, not even any gibberish. We tried turning off the AVG e-mail scanner and then a test log on one of my caches came through just fine. There was an odd AVG update this morning that required a restart - that is the likely culprit.

That still wouldn't explain why my 'found it' log on one of my caches is not showing up.

Is anybody else seeing this problem?

Same here today but completely blank, not even any gibberish. We tried turning off the AVG e-mail scanner and then a test log on one of my caches came through just fine. There was an odd AVG update this morning that required a restart - that is the likely culprit.

That still wouldn't explain why my 'found it' log on one of my caches is not showing up.

I have gone to our cache page before and wondered where the log went....they used an earlier date that is on the next page or they deleted their log. If you go to the user profile for the person - and found caches, this might catch what they did. - or not.

Shirley~

I have gone to our cache page before and wondered where the log went....they used an earlier date that is on the next page or they deleted their log. If you go to the user profile for the person - and found caches, this might catch what they did. - or not.

Shirley~

Thanks Shirley~, That's exactly what happened in my case. They had found the cache that they logged today quite a while back.

Probably is the AVG Free antivirus like the others posted. Now how do we fix it? Is turning off the email scanner the only way?

Well, we uninstalled and then reinstalled AVG Free. It worked for a day. Today I got an automatic AVG Update that required a restart. We had the "Automatic Updates" turned OFF, it updated and installed the update all on its own. Then to top it off the mail thingy started all over again...nothing on some and the weird message at the bottom of the message on others.

Bye, Bye AVG Free!

Shirley~

Watching this thread with great interest. Thanks for the suggestions!

But.....why is this happening suddenly (ie no AVG changes/updates etc at my end) when it was working before, happening only with Groundspeak emails, and only with some -not all- of those?

I received two cache found notifications this morning: one came thru as normal, the other was blank. Last week I received my weekly Groundspeak notification normally, the previous week it was blank, two weeks in a row before that I didn't get one at all! :anitongue:

Too much for my tiny brain.

da Big Cat.

I just noticed this yesterday. During the day I use an online email program, then when I get home I download everything to Outlook Express. The online email program was fine, more or less, but when I DLed everything to outlook at home, all my Groundspeak emails were completely blank.

I also run AVG free edition, but I dont think I want to turn email scanning off!

I have AVG and use the email client that is part of my Opera browser. I haven't had any problems with the content of Owner/Bookmark/Watchlist emails.

Could be an Outlook Express problem . . . ?

A few months ago GC.com changed something in the format of the emails which were problematic when I was using the Eudora email client. A Search should bring up that Forum thread.

About two weeks ago I noticed I was getting blank email from Groundspeak - Weekly Notification. I submitted a question about this and while waiting for response, I started clicking various options - with Outlook Express. I found what works :lol: but you need to do it each time you get blank email.

Click: VIEW -- ENCODING--WESTERN EUROPEEN WINDOWS - that is probably your defalt setting, but for some reason the blank email is being converted to UNICODE (UTF-8) - no clue where or why. - Huntski

Rather than throw out AVG try:

Tools -> Advanced settings -> E-mail scanner -> Check incoming e-mail = checked -> Certify e-mail = unchecked.

Edited to add: see http://beyondteck.blogspot.com/2006/05/bla...-microsoft.html

~erik~

You dont have to turn off AVG's E-mail scanner just the check box for Certify. It works for me. No need to reinstall or anything. Now that I have thought about it I have got some emails in the past that were blank from others then Groundspeek. Now I know why.

A added benifit is that I do not have to look at the Certificate at the bottom of every email. I felt it was anoying. :rolleyes:

Now may I ask................where is the entire Groundspeak LoBot weekly newsletter??? Received no header,

nothing! Anyone else out there having withdrawal symptoms? Please excuse me while I go outside to say rude words about this. I thought all was fine..obviously not.

I'm just glad it's happening in the land of my birth as well as here. I waited up until 0100hrs Saturday morning for my LoBot weekly newsletter. It is usually in my mailbox on a Friday evening. It snuck in about an hour after I went to bed, saving me from contacting AVG. Going back to see what it says now........it does have words I can read this time.

I was so glad to find this thread. Some of my emails worked and others didn't. Very frustrating.

I've tried changing the Encoding and that works fine. I also have AVG free, but haven't tried anything with that at this stage.

Thanks all.

Ack. Friday I actually received my Groundspeak Weelky Notification. In it were new caches from May 2008 to July 10!! It was a huge document Many I'd already received in previous weekly notifications, others I'd never heard of

No way AVG could be the problem with that one. Something's going on at Groundspeak.

I don't use AVG.. I use PC Tools.. and I have noticed that cache notification emails have stopped. I had a new cache published 4 days ago that has been found twice and had one DNF... never received any of the e-mails that should have generated for it. I was beginning to think it wasn't published for some reason...

I want my e-mails back!