Garmin Colorado 2.54 Beta Firmware - HAPPY?

The GARMIN COLORADO 300/400 - After 6 months on the market with the latest firmware 2.54b

Is it now a GPS that fits your needs and you can trust this unit also in an unknown territory?

Please answer only: YES or NO - Thank you? --------------- my answer is: NO

THE RESULT: (including all answers until Post #28)

:) --> 12 x YES

:) --> 10 x NO

:) --> 1 x Yes/No

Edited by freeday

NO

Several bugs that make the unit hang.

I can not connect it to USB with SD card install.

It just fade away and powers off.

How are you connecting your unit? I used to have this problem when I attempted to connect the unit to my computer when the unit was off. But, if I had my unit on then connected it to my computer, it worked just fine.

As for my feelings about the firmware update, I still have to play around with it more.

Edited by kingBLAOW

I can not see why anyone answer yes to a firmware that has sveral bugs that makes your unit to shut down.

What I am happy with is that there are some progress and that Garmin has not forgot us.

There are more significant improvemnts than bugs. Most of the bugs are minor. Just delete your waypoints through the waypoint manager and your fine. No shut down. As for the shut down of the unit when plugging it into the unit just turn it on first and let it boot then plugin. Yeh they are a pain but there are work arounds and as I said before significant improvments.

I can not see why anyone answer yes to a firmware that has sveral bugs that makes your unit to shut down.

What I am happy with is that there are some progress and that Garmin has not forgot us.

There are more significant improvemnts than bugs. Most of the bugs are minor. Just delete your waypoints through the waypoint manager and your fine. No shut down. As for the shut down of the unit when plugging it into the unit just turn it on first and let it boot then plugin. Yeh they are a pain but there are work arounds and as I said before significant improvments.

Yes, it's progress ... and it's a beta release, not a biggie.

i can't believe it - there are only 23 guys using a GARMIN COLORADO :angry:

I would imagine that there are some out there who look at it the same way i do. That being, paying $500+ for a gpsr that still has bugs to work out doesn't sound like that great of an investment. :D

Yes :D

Did a bunch of benchmark and geocaching this weekend with 2.54. Spelling bug was a pain a couple of times. Loved the field notes. Had to calibrate the compass several times though, even when the unit was powered on the whole time. But really like it as a whole.

I would say yes, because the only problems I am having with mine are the pointer pointing in the opposite direction of the cache location, and unable to use the "Download to GPS" link on geocaching.com. I can get only 1 cache to direct download, from then on the plug-in can not detect my unit as being connected.

YES and NO

It does all I need from it and I am not worried to rely on it but some features are annoing:

- when using in car, whenever I turn off the engine, I have to keep telling it to stay ON (there should be simple option somewhere in setup letting me to choose what should happen when external power is lost, I'd like the unit to stay ON untill I turn it off myself)

- entering or changing text is cumbersome and slow

No, I wouldn't trust it in unfamiliar territory, but I like it anyway. I didn't get what I feel is my money's worth, yet, but I hope to with future updates. My big gripes are random shut-downs when initiating a change in screen, even with batteries at half capacity or better, and location error .

No definitely NOT!!!

I paid €450 for this peace of trash and I definitely don't feel like it's worth it!

This unit is on the market for 6 months and the software is still beta XXX???

There was a version 2.51 BETA in April. July, there is 2.54 BETA. What's next Garmin?

How's that for an estimate: October 2.57 BETA, January 2009 2.60 BETA and ...... April 2009, 2.63 Final!!! ..... of course with a known issues list, items 1 through 101, which is almost the same as a beta version.

Well maybe August 2009 we'll have a software version that everyone's happy about!

Oh, please add this bug to the list:

Garmin Colorado hangs when it follows a track and loses the GPS signal (driving through a tunnel)... I wonder how people can count on this thing for saving their lives!!!

THE RESULT: (including all answers until Post #44)

:P --> 17 x YES

:D --> 17 x NO

:ph34r: --> 2 x Yes/No

I've been following this thread because I'm getting ready to replace my stolen Legend Cx. I think I'm going to have to rule out the Colorado until I see that yes column significantly higher. Garmin is beginning to remind me of Microsoft the way they release buggy software.

THE RESULT: (including all answers until Post #48)

:anicute: --> 18 x YES

:laughing: --> 18 x NO

:anitongue: --> 2 x Yes/No

Thank you everybody for voting.

Seems to be that there are 38 users having a colorado in this forum. (i thought there would be more guys)

Thank you one more time!!!