Windows Vista and CacheMate

I'm Geocaching with a Magellan eXplorist 400, using GSAK and CacheMate with a PalmZ22. Everything worked perfectly until my home PC crashed and had to be replaced. Unfortunately we picked up a new machine with Windows Vista and now I have problems. GSAK and my GPS are working fine, however I'm having a problem getting the information into my Palm. The Palm forums tell me that the problem is with CacheMate and CacheMate (Smittyware) tells me it's Palm. I tend to believe the problem is with CacheMate and am not expecting this to be cured anytime soon. Here's my question; has anyone else run across this problem and how have they solved it.....or is it time to bail on CacheMate and use something else on my Palm Z22 for paperless Geocaching (and if that's the case, what else works)? Any input would be greatly appreciated as we're going on vacation in a couple of weeks and want to go Geocaching. Thanks, Ken.

found this here don't know if it will help or not.

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?...essage.id=17980

Hello,

After many, MANY hours of searching these forums and other forums, I've finally found a solution that works.

Short answer: Bluetooth Hotsync works with Vista 64

If your computer has built-in Bluetooth support and working 64-bit drivers, then you're all set. If not, continue reading....

Someone on these boards tipped me off that Bluetooth worked. My laptop does not have built-in bluetooth, so I began hunting for a suitable Bluetooth USB adapter. As of now I found an adapter that I have been able to get working, but it is a bit of a hack. Broadcom has released Vista drivers for USB adapters that use their Bluetooth chipset, and they have included 64 bit drivers, but here's the catch: The drivers are unsigned, so Vista will install them, but prevent them from loading because they are "unknown". Here's what I did:

1.) Buy a Kensington or other major brand name USB Bluetooth adapter. I bought this one, but there are others. Whatever you do, do NOT try and save a few bucks by buying a cheap-o off brand adapter, because chances are it is using an unlicensed chipset and the drivers won't load. I know, I bought one and could not get it to work. Long story...

2.) Go here and download the latest Bluetooth drivers from Broadcom. This is the release that has preliminary Vista support.

UPDATE! The Broadcom drivers no longer seem to work properly as I found when I recently had to reinstall vista 64, so I found newer drivers released by Anycom that work with the generic Kensington adapter. Go to Anycom Support here and download the version 6.0.xx drivers for the Anycom Blue USB-200/250. You MUST have the 6.0+ version of the drivers. The site defaults to German, just click the USA flag in the top right to get English.

I believe that Anycom is actually the true manufacturer of the Kensington adapter since when you look at the pictures, the two adapters are identical, only difference being the color of the plastic. The Anycom drivers may also work with other USB adapters, but I'm not sure.

3.) Install the drivers above. You will get MANY warning messages that the driver publisher is unverifiable. Just select continue anyway to install the drivers anyway. After installation it may tell you to reboot. If not, reboot anyway once the drivers have installed.

4.) Here's the tricky part. When the system post screen comes up before the system boots, hit F8 to bring up the boot options (same method you use to boot into safe mode). Then select the last option, "Disable digital driver signature enforcement". This will make Vista ignore the fact that those Broadcom drivers are unsigned and load them anyway.

Once the system comes up, proceed with setting up Bluetooth Hotsync as per the normal method. It works! I was even able to sync with Outlook 2007 after installing the Office 2007 update.

Keep in mind you will have to disable driver enforcement EVERY time you reboot. That is until Broadcom gets their drivers digitally signed, which I imagine won't be very long.

Might want to make this a sticky, at least until Palm releases proper Vista 64 support.

Post relates to: Treo 650 (Cingular)

Message Edited by mephiska on 01-07-2008 09:01 PM

Edited by Buddaman

I had similar problems. I've gotten around them, though, using a USB cradle.

When you tell GSAK to export a GPX file for Cachemate, don't let it put the file in the Palm Quick Install program; just hit cancel at that point. Then run Palm Desktop as an administrator and drop your GPX file in at that point. Then run Hotsync as an administrator (I've got it set so it doesn't run automatically when Vista starts up) and sync the handheld. This is the only way I've gotten it to work reliably with my system (Vista 32 bit, Palm Tungsten T3).

Sorry if this is too obvious for the more experienced users.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the input so far everyone. I'm not sure if I have the 32 or the 64 bit Vista but my guess would be the 64 since it's so new (I'll check when I get home). Still, not that I want to give up on CacheMate but does anyone have an alternative that works well with GSAK and a Palm Z22 just in case thats my next option? Ken

Thanks for all the input so far everyone. I'm not sure if I have the 32 or the 64 bit Vista but my guess would be the 64 since it's so new (I'll check when I get home). Still, not that I want to give up on CacheMate but does anyone have an alternative that works well with GSAK and a Palm Z22 just in case thats my next option? Ken

I just found out that I have the 32 bit Vista. Maybe there is hope for me yet. Ken

I just found out that I have the 32 bit Vista. Maybe there is hope for me yet. Ken

I'm jumping in here late, but has anyone tried running the Palm software in XP SP2 compatibility mode?

If you want to try, go to the executable for the Palm Desktop, right-click on it and select Properties, then go to the Compatibility tab. I'd be more specific, but I don't have a Palm device to direct you to the executable.

Might help. Anyone?