Best price

I don't use these as I have Garmin's Topo on my CSx but out of curiosity, I've just followed the quoted links to the OpenStreetMap site. Are the maps, as displayed on that site, the ones that you can now download to a Garmin mapping GPSr? If so, I'm definitely NOT impressed. Having just zoomed in to the area around where I live I can see so many mistakes that it makes the maps positively dangerous!. A lot of roads are missing completely, two are shown intersecting a major by-pass where there is absolutely no junction, fly-over or underpass and one major road is shown as terminating some yards short of a roundabout when in fact it is one of the major exits onto and off the roundabout. Sorry, but from my brief look, they're not to be recommended.
It's a case of work in progress. If there is data missing or errors it's for the user community to upload their logs and correct them. I personally only use it for the contour lines which make route selection easier for me. Around my location though the maps are is very accurate. When you consider it started as a blank sheet its a very impressive project in my book, one that can only get better and best of all is it's free. It's a case of try it, if you like it or can find a use for the data use it. If not then don't. If you've already invested in Garmin Topo software I'd be pretty peeved if Topo wasn't better anyway otherwise I'd have wasted my money but for a free resource it's the mutts bits.

My apologies.... I didn't realise that users were responsible for adding / correcting the road data. I thought that it was just footpaths, bridleways etc that we could add. How would I go on about correcting the mistakes in the road data that I noticed in my home area?

My apologies.... I didn't realise that users were responsible for adding / correcting the road data. I thought that it was just footpaths, bridleways etc that we could add. How would I go on about correcting the mistakes in the road data that I noticed in my home area?
No need to apologise for anything. I'm not clued up on that side of things, Talkytoaster is the man you need to speak to. I'm just hosting the files for him. I believe you just create an account and edit the map. I may have to have a go at it myself later.

Ian

I put my second SD card into my Garmin GPSMap 60CSx with the downloaded maps.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to Auto Route, unlike the MapSource base map with the SMC contour set.

The GPS said that there were no roads near my location, even though they were shown (and named) on the map.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

For all those interested:

I have just compiled the latest UK map tiles [with and without contours] into new UK maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

The UK maps I compile includes the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

This is true for both mapsets, with and without contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club].

The updated ones are prefixed with 081008 [the old ones are prefixed with 080910] and should be available on the following link [thanks to studlyone] in the next 24-48 hours. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 7th of October.

Link: http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/garminoverlays/index.php

If you want to grab them before the main hosting site is updated, you can find them here: http://talkytoaster.diinoweb.com/files/

Regards,

Martin

I have just compiled the latest UK map tiles [with and without contours] into new UK maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

This is true for both mapsets, with and without contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club].

The updated ones are prefixed with 081022 [the old ones are prefixed with 081008] and should be available on the following link [thanks to studlyone] in the next 24-48 hours. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 21st of October.

If you want to grab them before the main hosting site is updated, you can find them here: http://talkytoaster.diinoweb.com/files/

Regards,

Martin

The updated ones are prefixed with 081022 [the old ones are prefixed with 081008] and should be available on the following link [thanks to studlyone] in the next 24-48 hours. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 21st of October.

Sorry about the delay Martin, I will get the files updated tonight for you.

Ian

I've just got into geocaching and, for my sins, decided to buy the Garmin Oregon 300 as it is (so I thought) capable of using the maps on Memory Map. I have V5 of the whole of the UK which I bought last year.

When I got the Oregon I was a little disappointed to find the basemap is worse than useless, then that I can't use Memory Map after all. I then found the link to these particular maps which I hoped would at least get me going!

I don't know if I am doing something wrong but I simply cannot get these to install on the Oregon despite hours of effort. Right.....I've downloaded the file, re-named it GMAPSUPP.IMG as instructed and then installed it onto a Micro SD card. I've then plugged the card in under the batteries and turned the Oregon back on. Then, presumably, I go to Setup - Map - Map Info Select Map.....where I would expect to see the new map. But there's just the basemap.

It's really frustrating, to put it mildly, but at this rate I suppose I'll just have to fork out again for the Topo V2. But it would be nice to get these maps working so I can at least make a start!!!

I don't know if I am doing something wrong but I simply cannot get these to install on the Oregon despite hours of effort. Right.....I've downloaded the file, re-named it GMAPSUPP.IMG as instructed and then installed it onto a Micro SD card. I've then plugged the card in under the batteries and turned the Oregon back on. Then, presumably, I go to Setup - Map - Map Info Select Map.....where I would expect to see the new map. But there's just the basemap.

Have you actually created a directory called GARMIN in the root of the microSD card?

If so have you placed the IMG file extracted from the ZIP file [and then renamed to GMAPSUPP.IMG on the card in this GARMIN directory]?

It won't work if you just rename the ZIP file, you need to extract the IMG from the zip and then rename the extracted IMG file. Apologies If you feel I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, as the saying goes, but I'm just ensuring that these first steps have been followed correctly first, before moving on to more trechnical solutions.

The maps I compile have been tested on the new Colarado and Oregan GPSrs from Garmin and are known to be compatible with them, however, I don't have either of these GPSrs, so I can't offer any specific advice on any non-standard installation instructions.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Since then a friend of mine who is a little more computer savvy had a go and it has installed perfectly. What he did differently I don't know but now I'm a happier bunny!

I'm glad it is working for you now. I expect to have updated maps available for download sometime towards the end of next week.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 081112 [the old ones are prefixed with 081022] and should be available on the following link [thanks to studlyone] in the next 24-48 hours. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 11th of November.

If you want to grab them before the main hosting site is updated, you can find them here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 090109 [the old ones are prefixed with 081112] and should be available on the following link [thanks to studlyone] in the next 24-48 hours. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 8th of January 2009.

If you want to grab them before the main hosting site is updated, you can find them here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Regards,

Martin

Have you actually created a directory called GARMIN in the root of the microSD card?

If so have you placed the IMG file extracted from the ZIP file [and then renamed to GMAPSUPP.IMG on the card in this GARMIN directory]?

It won't work if you just rename the ZIP file, you need to extract the IMG from the zip and then rename the extracted IMG file. Apologies If you feel I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, as the saying goes, but I'm just ensuring that these first steps have been followed correctly first, before moving on to more trechnical solutions.

The maps I compile have been tested on the new Colarado and Oregan GPSrs from Garmin and are known to be compatible with them, however, I don't have either of these GPSrs, so I can't offer any specific advice on any non-standard installation instructions.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Hi, Sorry I am not great on the IT front. How do I create a Garmin Directory on my Micro sd card?

Hi, Sorry I am not great on the IT front. How do I create a Garmin Directory on my Micro sd card?

Which GPSr do you have?

You should be able to connect your GPSr as a USB storage device, once that is done just create a directory/folder on the card as if it was a USB thumb drive. e.g. If your GPSr is connected via USB and in USB mass-storage mode as drive I: then you would simply open the drive and create the folder as usual on any other drive.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Which GPSr do you have?

You should be able to connect your GPSr as a USB storage device, once that is done just create a directory/folder on the card as if it was a USB thumb drive. e.g. If your GPSr is connected via USB and in USB mass-storage mode as drive I: then you would simply open the drive and create the folder as usual on any other drive.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

I have a etrex Vista HCX. I have a scandisk mirco sdcard. I used the USB mass storage, opened file, un zipped it and changed the name and uploaded to the mirco card using the GPS usb cable. When I go to map settings there is no map listed on the gps. I opened the device and made a folder called GARMIN to put it in. I have also tryed to upload it using the sd card adapter but the GPS unit does not recongise or let me open the map even though it is unzipped and rightly named in a GARMIN folder on the sd card.

I will try again and see what hapens?

Thanks for the help.

Paul.

I have a etrex Vista HCX. I have a scandisk mirco sdcard. I used the USB mass storage, opened file, un zipped it and changed the name and uploaded to the mirco card using the GPS usb cable. When I go to map settings there is no map listed on the gps. I opened the device and made a folder called GARMIN to put it in. I have also tryed to upload it using the sd card adapter but the GPS unit does not recongise or let me open the map even though it is unzipped and rightly named in a GARMIN folder on the sd card.

I will try again and see what hapens?

Thanks for the help.

Paul.

Well I've just uploaded the latest contour maps to a Vista HCX and they work OK. I did it by connecting the GPS to the pc in USB mass storage mode, opened the drive in Explorer, created a folder called GARMIN and copied the map file into that folder as GMAPSUPP.IMG

WHIPEEE!!!

I dont know what I did but I have downloaded it and its working on my Garmin Vista HCx :laughing:

Thanks for your help and for making it available to all of us.

Yorkie30 :laughing:

Glad it is working now, once you have done it correctly the next update should be a breeze for you. I update the compiled maps between once a fortnight or once a month depending on other workloads.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Martin

Can anyone upload some screen shots of the maps from an Oregon or Colorado please? I'm interested but will need to buy a memory card first.

Hi Stuey,

here are a couple of pictures taken from the colorado in an area you should recognise. The first two are the OSM mapping with contours and the last is TOPO GB V2 for a comparison.

IMGP1628.jpgIMGP1629.jpgIMGP1630.jpg

Can anyone upload some screen shots of the maps from an Oregon or Colorado please? I'm interested but will need to buy a memory card first.

Hi Stuey,

here are a couple of pictures taken from the colorado in an area you should recognise. The first two are the OSM mapping with contours and the last is TOPO GB V2 for a comparison.

IMGP1628.jpgIMGP1629.jpgIMGP1630.jpg

Thanks for those Steve, that's really useful :D

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 090128 [the old ones are prefixed with 090109] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 27th of January 2009.

If you want to grab them then you can find them here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

The UK maps I compile include the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 090225 [the old ones are prefixed with 090128] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 25th of February 2009.

UPDATE:

As the non-contour UK map is now over 55MB, I have also split it into smaller mapsets, one for England and Wales, one for Ireland and finally one for Scotland. This is only useful for older Garmin models with limited memory capacity. If required I may split England and Wales into separate mapsets too.

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com.

If you want to grab them then you can find them here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

I hope you find them useful?

Regards,

Martin

I hope you find them useful?

Useful? They are fab!!! I started adding to the map last month and have mapped all the streets in my home town, and also surrounding villages. I'm now starting to add land use and POI's too, so to see the results of my efforts actually on my Oregon's screen is great!

Useful, and much appreciated!

They are great, I really should start adding into it. Do I just stick the GPS on the dashboard to do my town?

I'm no expert (I'm new to this mapping myself), but all I do is drive and record tracks which are uploaded to the website that evening. Any new roads I add, and tag.... existing roads on the map that need refining get refined (depends on how different they are, and whether the existing map was added from a photo or old map).

I find that cycling around residential areas is easier than driving as you can get down the cul-de-sacs and turn round much easier and quicker than in a car. The GPS signal is better too.

They are great, I really should start adding into it. Do I just stick the GPS on the dashboard to do my town?

I'm no expert (I'm new to this mapping myself), but all I do is drive and record tracks which are uploaded to the website that evening. Any new roads I add, and tag.... existing roads on the map that need refining get refined (depends on how different they are, and whether the existing map was added from a photo or old map).

I find that cycling around residential areas is easier than driving as you can get down the cul-de-sacs and turn round much easier and quicker than in a car. The GPS signal is better too.

Thanks for that I will start on my town soon as there are very few roads shown, and thanks for the info on the hyperlinks, now resaving the files.

I just noticed that the hyperlinks to the UK maps are both linking back to the 090128 maps, not the 090225 ones. I just changed the URL and it is currently downloading the latest map, but it needs changing on the page :D

Cheers,

Stuey

Links are now fixed, thanks for pointing that out. I also fixed another incorrect link on the same page. Odd, as I checked them all earlier and they seemed fine. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Regards,

Martin

I just noticed that the hyperlinks to the UK maps are both linking back to the 090128 maps, not the 090225 ones. I just changed the URL and it is currently downloading the latest map, but it needs changing on the page :D

Cheers,

Stuey

Links are now fixed, thanks for pointing that out. I also fixed another incorrect link on the same page. Odd, as I checked them all earlier and they seemed fine. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Regards,

Martin

Can I also add our thanks to you for this.

My colleague at work is a big off-road cyclist and always adds bridleways and paths (where possible).

These are way better than the ones that Garmin provide.

Cheers,

Stuey

Regards,

Martin

Another update, again thanks to Stuey for spotting the problem. Seems that the contour data was incomplete, now fixed and a new UK+Contours mapset created and uploaded.

If you are using the UK+Contours mapset you might want to re-download it as the new one is now complete and weighs in at 171 MB (180,338,688 bytes) when unzipped. Yes, I have checked and tested it, again ;-)

This does not affect the non-contour version, or the split-maps.

Apologies to those affected, but this shouldn't happen again.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster