Best price

I have seen the above at £99.99 + £7.05 delivery.

Can anyone beat this price?

Not for Topo [i personally wouldn't use it], but if you want maps for Garmin then you could use the free ones from OpenStreetMap [http://www.openstreetmap.org/].

I use them on both my Garmins and have the whole of the UK with or without contour data. The only downside it that they are a work in progress and missing some footpaths/bridleways but for most of the UK the road data is complete and many paths/tracks are included. If you like them then you can help by mapping where you travel and upload your track logs for use by the community to help improve the maps.

If anyone wants the ones I have just compiled from yesterdays data [uK Maps without contours 40MB, and with contours 141MB] just let me know and I'll place them somewhere so they can be downloaded.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

I have seen the above at £99.99 + £7.05 delivery.

Can anyone beat this price?

I've had a look for a cheaper pricve and I can't find one. Seems a good deal to me.

If anyone wants the ones I have just compiled from yesterdays data [uK Maps without contours 40MB, and with contours 141MB] just let me know and I'll place them somewhere so they can be downloaded.

I'd be interested in both versions please Martin. Even though I've already got Topo - you have to give the others a try too! :)

Same here, I'd be very interested in both if you can arrange it please.

OK, rather than upload them to one of my other domains and hosting services which would skew my webstats, I have uploded the files to Diino and Airset, details below:

http://talkytoaster.diinoweb.com/files/

File Name: 080702-UK-GMAPSUPP.zip contains 080702-UK-GMAPSUPP.IMG

Size: 41,020KB

Description: UK Maps (No Contours)

Alternate Link: https://www.airsetpublic.com/files/080702-U...?i=OYXyLFlbEpYE

File Name: 080702-UK+Contours-GMAPSUPP.zip contains

080702-UK+Contours-GMAPSUPP.IMG

Size: 141,644KB

Description: UK Maps (With Contours)

Alternate Link: https://www.airsetpublic.com/files/080702-U...?i=cdARiCzmRWdW

Please Note: Both these services have limited connectivity and/or bandwidth restrictions so please only download the files if you plan to use them.

Download the file you are interested in, unzip it, and save the unzipped file as GMAPSUPP.IMG and then upload it to your Garmin [make sure you have sufficient storage space first].

I use these maps on a Garmin GPSmap60c [non-contour version of map @ 40MB] and an Etrex Legend Hcx [the version with contour data too @ 140MB].

If you have any issues or questions feel free to e-mail me via geocaching.com. If there is sufficient interest then I will make these available on a dedicated hosting service and update the maps at least twice a month. Otherwise if anyone is willing to offer a place to permanently host them then that would be great.

Regards,

Martin

Same here, I'd be very interested in both if you can arrange it please.

OK, rather than upload them to one of my other domains and hosting services which would skew my webstats, I have uploded the files to Diino and Airset, details below:

File Name: 080702-UK-GMAPSUPP.zip contains 080702-UK-GMAPSUPP.IMG

Size: 41,020KB

Description: UK Maps (No Contours)

Alternate Link: https://www.airsetpublic.com/files/080702-U...?i=OYXyLFlbEpYE

File Name: 080702-UK+Contours-GMAPSUPP.zip contains

080702-UK+Contours-GMAPSUPP.IMG

Size: 141,644KB

Description: UK Maps (With Contours)

Alternate Link: https://www.airsetpublic.com/files/080702-U...?i=cdARiCzmRWdW

Please Note: Both these services have limited connectivity and/or bandwidth restrictions so please only download the files if you plan to use them.

Download the file you are interested in, unzip it, and save the unzipped file as GMAPSUPP.IMG and then upload it to your Garmin [make sure you have sufficient storage space first].

I use these maps on a Garmin GPSmap60c [non-contour version of map @ 40MB] and an Etrex Legend Hcx [the version with contour data too @ 140MB].

If you have any issues or questions feel free to e-mail me via geocaching.com. If there is sufficient interest then I will make these available on a dedicated hosting service and update the maps at least twice a month. Otherwise if anyone is willing to offer a place to permanently host them then that would be great.

Regards,

Martin

Many thanks for that. I'd be happy to offer up permament storage space for them on our server if you like as we have bags of space.

Ian

Just uploaded the countor one onto my Colorado and what a difference it has completely transformed the map into a usefull tool now that looks superb with the contour lines. Many thanks for the maps. I have sent a reply to your e-mail and the files are on the server now.

Just uploaded the countor one onto my Colorado and what a difference it has completely transformed the map into a usefull tool now that looks superb with the contour lines. Many thanks for the maps. I have sent a reply to your e-mail and the files are on the server now.

They are rather good maps, you can see why I use them rather than Topo; thanks for hosting them. I will update them at least twice a month and let you know where to get the updates from.

Glad they work well on the Colorado as well. Maybe we ought to include a list of Garmin models that have been tested with them?

Might be a good idea to post the new link too?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Hands up! This thread has been hi-jacked. :angry:

Keep an eye on eBay.

Another option is a used copy. You can get a free second license from Garmin (just say you're upgrading your unit). Make sure it's a pucker DVD copy though and that only one license has been used if you do this. Check with Garmin first if you are unsure about this.

Guilty as charged - I don't know if a passing mod would be able to split the thread or not.

Be very, very carefull with buying "second hand" software on e-bay as it is very easy to get burnt. Use all the normal common sense check like their feedback score etc and read the ads very carefully. You can havign said that pick up a bargain if you are carefull.

Ian

Okay - I know this thread has been hi-jacked but how do I install the maps? I can see that the other maps I have have a corresponding entry under HKLM/Software in the registry. Do I need to create an entry there? Or am I (most likely!) missing the bleedin' obvious?! :angry:

Hmmm - I've moved further with this but I just end up with an import of the far eastern part of Anglia. I have downloaded cGPSMapper and teh GUI frontend to get the files created for Mapsource - but not much success. Any advice as and when anyone can provide... :angry:

Ta and all that.

Hmmm - I've moved further with this but I just end up with an import of the far eastern part of Anglia. I have downloaded cGPSMapper and teh GUI frontend to get the files created for Mapsource - but not much success. Any advice as and when anyone can provide... :angry:

Ta and all that.

Do you mean the maps I compiled from OpenStreetMap or some other maps, such as Topo?

If you mean the ones I compiled, then you can either use Sendmap to upload them after loading the maps into Sendmap [available from here http://www.cgpsmapper.com/] or if you have a later model Garmin GPSr which uses MicroSD cards you can either load them directly on there, or by using the direct USB Mass Storage mode found in any of the HCX or equivalent models. In this case just place the GMAPSUPP.IMG in the folder named GARMIN.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster
Just a brief reminder if you wish to discus or even hint at illegal sharing of copywrite software. Please take it off this forum, to avoid a risk of a forum ban. Groundspeak take a severe view of those who are involved in software piracy.
A little confused :angry:

OpenStreetMap is opensource mapping data that is free the exchange and use.

Just a brief reminder if you wish to discus or even hint at illegal sharing of copywrite software. Please take it off this forum, to avoid a risk of a forum ban. Groundspeak take a severe view of those who are involved in software piracy.

Is OpenStreetMAp available via BitTorrent?

Is OpenStreetMAp available via BitTorrent?

No idea what BitTorrent is but you can find out more about it here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Edited by studlyone

Nothing to worry about here. The software and mapping that myself, Studlyone and Talkytoaster have been discussing is all open-source and free to anyone. But thanks for the heads up though... :D

A little confused :D

He wasn't referring to OpenStreetMap, or any of your posts.

I downloaded the ones mentioned in this thread, and they are very interesting indeed. I couldn't get them to work on the Garmin but I'm sure that's just me not trying hard enough. I did look at them in GPSMapEdit on the PC.

The detail they show is much more comprehensive than the Garmin Topo maps, but they are still incomplete (missing road names, etc.) and contain many more anomalies, many to do with water (holes in rivers, missing or misrepresented islands, very jagged boundaries). On the other hand, I'm sure they will continue to improve, whereas the Garmin ones won't.

Unfortunately there is one area where they fall short of the Garmin maps, and it is important to me. They don't allow routing. I use the Garmin Topo on an eTrex Vista HCx for geo-caching, but I also use it as a satnav on the motorbike. For this application it has the advantage over TomTom on my PDA of being more robust, more waterproof and has a longer battery life. It's not a very good satnav (it chooses very poor routes), but it does get me there and is a lot better than nothing.

If it wasn't for the routing, I think I would go over to these maps now, despite already having purchased Topo.

Rgds, Andy

Edited to say I started to type this before your last post, I realise you now know Deci wasn't referring to you.

Edited by Amberel

Unfortunately there is one area where they fall short of the Garmin maps, and it is important to me. They don't allow routing. I use the Garmin Topo on an eTrex Vista HCx for geo-caching, but I also use it as a satnav on the motorbike. For this application it has the advantage over TomTom on my PDA of being more robust, more waterproof and has a longer battery life. It's not a very good satnav (it chooses very poor routes), but it does get me there and is a lot better than nothing.

If it wasn't for the routing, I think I would go over to these maps now, despite already having purchased Topo.

Indeed you are correct about them not being complete or offering routing [although I believe that some progress has been made on that very issue]. The beauty of these is if you find data that is incorrect, incomplete or missing YOU can edit the map and fix the problem [via the website and no you don't need to be a geek or rocket scientist to do so] and everyone else gets the benefit. This is why I plan to re-compile the UK maps at least twice a month, to include fixes and additions made by everyone else.

Oh, and there are pre-complied Garmin maps available for other parts of Europe and the rest of the World too. Handy if you plan to visit another country that you don't have Topo or other maps for.

Here's a link to the FAQ on the site which may answer lots of peoples questions about the maps as well as the legality and how you can help by contributing your own tracks from you own GPSr. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/FAQ

Hope this helps and clarifies some of the issues raised?

Regards,

Martin

OOO Talkytoaster this is brilliant thank you soooo much for sharing :D

I even managed to get it on my GPS without asking for help and that is an acheivment for a numty like me(Is a congratulations post in order) :D .

Congratulations! :huh::):D

Yes, it may seem daunting but getting these maps onto your Garmin GPSr is pretty starightforward, espcially if your Garmin has the ability to be a USB Mass Storage device [all of the HCX ones do, as I believe do the GPSmap60 CX and CSX models]. I have just sent studylone some updated text for the website which includes more details on how to install them.

I hope to have updated maps compiled and tested by next Saturday.

Regards,

Martin

Got them working on my 60Cx and they are great, just what I've been looking for.

Just one small question though, if I put them on the same micro SD as my roads& rec map the roads & rec map "takes over" is there a way to switch between maps (I can't find it in any of the menu's) or do I have to keep changing cards?

Cheers

mb

Got them working on my 60Cx and they are great, just what I've been looking for.

Just one small question though, if I put them on the same micro SD as my roads& rec map the roads & rec map "takes over" is there a way to switch between maps (I can't find it in any of the menu's) or do I have to keep changing cards?

I wasn't sure how to do this, but this link seems to provide the answer to your question.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/lofiversi...hp?t163273.html

Hope it helps?

Please let us know the definitive answer and whether it works for you or not as I'm sure others are interested.

[uPDATE]

A further look gives this answer from: http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/gps/faq.html#loadmulti

"Can I load multiple maps at once?

Yes, but you have to load them at one time since any subsequent upload effectively erases the ones before it. Under normal circumstances, only one map covering a given area will be visible at a given time due the map hierarchy. Transparent overlays are an exception, but if you knew about those you wouldn't be reading this question anyhow."

So, the answer appears to be only if you merge the various map sets into a single GMAPSUPP.IMG file or use Transparent Overlays instead [or seperate cards for each map set].

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

I managed to turn off the base map and the road&rec but the topo did not show through.

I have had to change the name of the topo to gmapsupp2.img to stop it trying to replace the road&rec map and I think this could be something to do with it.

Any ideas anybody?

They are rather good maps, you can see why I use them rather than Topo; thanks for hosting them. I will update them at least twice a month and let you know where to get the updates from.

Glad they work well on the Colorado as well. Maybe we ought to include a list of Garmin models that have been tested with them?

Might be a good idea to post the new link too?

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for these loaded the one with contours onto my Colorado and it looks good. :)

I have just compiled the latest UK map tiles [with and without contours] into new UK maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

The updated ones are prefixed with 080709 [the old ones are prefixed with 080702] and should be available on the following link [thanks to studlyone] in the next 24-48 hours. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 8th of July.

Link: http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/garminoverlays/index.php

Alternatively, if you can't wait that long, you can also find them here:

[please note this site has limited connectivity and bandwidth]

Regards,

Martin

Just checked on the openmapsource website and there isn't one already available to download so someone needs to compile one from there. If Martin can manage to compile one (not sure how much work it involves) I can certainly give it a home for everyone to download it from.

Ian

Just checked on the openmapsource website and there isn't one already available to download so someone needs to compile one from there. If Martin can manage to compile one (not sure how much work it involves) I can certainly give it a home for everyone to download it from.

Ian

No need to, as the UK map I compile includes the following areas already:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

This is true for both mapsets, with and without contour data.

Here's a picture showing the full areas covered in the maps I compile:

UK-Map.gif

Hope this clears things up?

Maybe Studlyone can add the picture above to the page on his site?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

For all those interested:

I have just compiled the latest UK map tiles [with and without contours] into new UK maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

The UK maps I compile includes the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 080801 [the old ones are prefixed with 080709] and should be available on the following link [thanks to studlyone] in the next 24-48 hours. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 31st of July.

Alternatively, if you can't wait that long, you can also find them here: http://talkytoaster.diinoweb.com/files/

(please note this site has limited connectivity and bandwidth)

Regards,

Martin

I came across this thread yesterday and tried out the free map on my Colorado. Seems really good, thanks to all involved.

A couple of questions though if I may (apologies if this is the wrong thread).

Firstly, I would like to continue to use my Garmin Topo for the road names and switch to OpenStreetMap for footpaths but renaming either map stops it showing in the list of available maps on the Colorado. Is there a naming convention I should be following, or do I have to use two SD cards?

Secondly, OpenStreetMap lists as three maps all named "type name" and with the comment "maps uploaded with sendmap" even though I dragged and dropped them in Windows. Have I got something wrong here?

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The latest updated ones are prefixed with 080828 and should be available on the following link [thanks to studlyone]. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 27th of August.

Please note that these new versions include wider contour data to the tip of Scotland and down as far south as the Channel Islands. These have been compiled from the 1GB World tile source from the OpenStreetMap site as well as the contour data from the Scottish Mountaineering Club.

I plan to try and re-compile these maps from the latest data about every two weeks.

Regards,

Martin

Firstly, I would like to continue to use my Garmin Topo for the road names and switch to OpenStreetMap for footpaths but renaming either map stops it showing in the list of available maps on the Colorado. Is there a naming convention I should be following, or do I have to use two SD cards?

Secondly, OpenStreetMap lists as three maps all named "type name" and with the comment "maps uploaded with sendmap" even though I dragged and dropped them in Windows. Have I got something wrong here?

You will need to use 2 SD cards, as the maps can't co-exist [as far as I know] with others; you can only have one GPSMAPSUPP.IMG file active [unless the Colorado supports this specifically].

Secondly, the type name is fixed when I compile them; not sure how I can easily change this, sorry.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

This is true for both mapsets, with and without contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club].

The updated ones are prefixed with 080910 [the old ones are prefixed with 080828] and should be available on the following link [thanks to studlyone] in the next 24-48 hours. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 9th of September.

Regards,

Martin

link: http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/garminoverlays/index.php

As they have not been updated on that link yet, I have also published them here: http://talkytoaster.diinoweb.com/files/

Martin

Sorry, the double post bug strikes again! ;-)

Edited by talkytoaster

As they have not been updated on that link yet, I have also published them here: http://talkytoaster.diinoweb.com/files/

Martin

I've been away for a few days and so have not been able to action the update to the map data. I will have the new files up for you later this evening.

Ian

I have downloaded the maps (contour version) and have copied them to a second card for my GPSMap 60CSX.

They are working just fine. The card is a 2GB card. Transfer was direct onto the card from my PC via a card adaptor on not by the SendMap option. The instructions on the other forum were very useful and accurate.

On my first card, I have the MapSource base set with the excellent SMC contour overlay set.

I will be interested to see if there is any difference between the two sets over the coming months.

In the meantime, thanks very much for this excellent resource.

Martin

I've been away for a few days and so have not been able to action the update to the map data. I will have the new files up for you later this evening.

Ian

Brilliant. Loaded to Legend Hcx using 'Mass storage' function. No problems. Compared to the Garmin base maps these are the bees knees. Thanks

I don't use these as I have Garmin's Topo on my CSx but out of curiosity, I've just followed the quoted links to the OpenStreetMap site. Are the maps, as displayed on that site, the ones that you can now download to a Garmin mapping GPSr? If so, I'm definitely NOT impressed. Having just zoomed in to the area around where I live I can see so many mistakes that it makes the maps positively dangerous!. A lot of roads are missing completely, two are shown intersecting a major by-pass where there is absolutely no junction, fly-over or underpass and one major road is shown as terminating some yards short of a roundabout when in fact it is one of the major exits onto and off the roundabout. Sorry, but from my brief look, they're not to be recommended.

Edited by Pharisee
I don't use these as I have Garmin's Topo on my CSx but out of curiosity, I've just followed the quoted links to the OpenStreetMap site. Are the maps, as displayed on that site, the ones that you can now download to a Garmin mapping GPSr? If so, I'm definitely NOT impressed. Having just zoomed in to the area around where I live I can see so many mistakes that it makes the maps positively dangerous!. A lot of roads are missing completely, two are shown intersecting a major by-pass where there is absolutely no junction, fly-over or underpass and one major road is shown as terminating some yards short of a roundabout when in fact it is one of the major exits onto and off the roundabout. Sorry, but from my brief look, they're not to be recommended.
It's a case of work in progress. If there is data missing or errors it's for the user community to upload their logs and correct them. I personally only use it for the contour lines which make route selection easier for me. Around my location though the maps are is very accurate. When you consider it started as a blank sheet its a very impressive project in my book, one that can only get better and best of all is it's free. It's a case of try it, if you like it or can find a use for the data use it. If not then don't. If you've already invested in Garmin Topo software I'd be pretty peeved if Topo wasn't better anyway otherwise I'd have wasted my money but for a free resource it's the mutts bits.

Previously I just used the SMC contour maps, I can not afford the Topo maps so these are great for me. Especially as they are free :P

Some areas are much better than others for detail, we found several urban caches in Southport and it was great as it had road names on the maps. The addition of footpaths and rivers/streams and lakes is excellent. Now I need to work out how to add back to the maps to improve them with the GPS trails I am creating.