Colorado : ok with compiled version for test, but crash with published version

geotrouvetou

I need help :

If I compile my cartridge "Paris - Parc Andre Citroen" (http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=6fdf22dc-37b2-4722-bb72-59a9f99f06ed) with the "Compile a Cartridge GWZ File" page (http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/compile.aspx) or with the "publish to my machine" in the builder, then the garmin-colorado can start my cartridge (gwc file) without problem.

But if I publish my cartridge (same lua code + same jpg files) with the menu "Tools>Publish cartridge" in the builder or with the link "upload gwz file" on Wherigo site, then (after the download of this new version) colorado crashes when my cartridge starts ;) . (I have no problem in PocketPC and no problem in the emulator)

What's wrong with the publishing method or with my cartridge ? ;)

I do have the same problem with my Te Pau cartridge.

When I publish it om my PC and send the colorado package to the colorado it works fine. Ather publisching it crached.

There is a difference between the compiler in the current builder and te compiler on the internet.

It works fine for PDA's.

Greetings Bosscout

Bonjour, Goedendag,

I've just downloaded and tried your cartridges on my Colorado (FW 2.54b).

While Bosscout's seems to work fine (I was able to go to many zones, answered some questions I did not understand), Geotrouvetou crashes right at the beginning. So maybe there are different problems, one fixed with 2.54b, the other not? :-(

This type of bizarre activity with the Colorado has caused me to take multiple checkpoints along the development of the cartridge. That way, I can back up to a previous working version and isolate the offending issue.

I typically only add three or four things/activities/etc. between each save and I document in a separate text file all of the changes made since the previous checkpoint. Tedious but sure makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot when something blows up.

What's wrong with the publishing method or with my cartridge ? :huh:

So you try publishing to the site via the builder and the resulting cartridge crashes when you run it on the Colorado, but when you publish to the site via the upload on the site itself, the Colorado can run the cartridge? Is that correct?

I don't know the programmatic differences between publishing via the builder versus the web site. If what I paraphrased from your question is right, I think this will be a Groundspeak question. Someone will probably respond during the work week, then.

Did you create the cartridge 100% in the builder?

So you try publishing to the site via the builder and the resulting cartridge crashes when you run it on the Colorado, but when you publish to the site via the upload on the site itself, the Colorado can run the cartridge? Is that correct?

Not exactly ...

I noticed that there are 4 ways to generate a playable cartridge (gwc file) :

(1) with builder : Tools>Publish to my machine (for test locally)

(2) with builder : Tools>Publish cartridge (for "official" publication on Wherigo)

(3) self made : make a zip file including jpg files and lua file, rename zip to gwz and use Compile a Cartridge on Wherigo to get a playable gwc file (for test only because the produced gwc file is not officially published to Wherigo repository), choosing "garmin colorado" for the target device.

(4) self made : make a zip file including jpg files and lua file, rename zip to gwz and use the link "Upload New GWZ File" in the menu of the cartridge edit form (on Wherigo website). This is a way to publish a new version (gwz file) of the cartridge. So, after that, the official gwc file can be download on the cartridge's page.

=> it works fine in pocket pc

=> Colorado :

OK for the beginning with (1) or (3)

Crash with (2) or (4) (click on the "play" button then the colorado displays the main menu and dies (not responding and hard reset needed)

NO ... sometimes I edited manually the lua file for minor changes in texts, or for completion-code (read in the forum), copy/paste for duplicated parts of text. But there is no parsing error.

Maybe an error ? :huh:

(I've attached the source files of my cartridge V1.3 below, I hope it will help).

Greetings + Thanks.

Paris___Parc_Andre_Citroen.zip

Edited by geotrouvetou

Not exactly ...

I noticed that there are 4 ways to generate a playable cartridge (gwc file) :

(1) with builder : Tools>Publish to my machine (for test locally)

(2) with builder : Tools>Publish cartridge (for "official" publication on Wherigo)

(3) self made : make a zip file including jpg files and lua file, rename zip to gwz and use Compile a Cartridge on Wherigo to get a playable gwc file (for test only because the produced gwc file is not officially published to Wherigo repository), choosing "garmin colorado" for the target device.

(4) self made : make a zip file including jpg files and lua file, rename zip to gwz and use the link "Upload New GWZ File" in the menu of the cartridge edit form (on Wherigo website). This is a way to publish a new version (gwz file) of the cartridge. So, after that, the official gwc file can be download on the cartridge's page.

=> it works fine in pocket pc

=> Colorado :

OK for the beginning with (1) or (3)

Crash with (2) or (4) (click on the "play" button then the colorado displays the main menu and dies (not responding and hard reset needed)

NO ... sometimes I edited manually the lua file for minor changes in texts, or for completion-code (read in the forum), copy/paste for duplicated parts of text. But there is no parsing error.

Maybe an error ? :)

(I've attached the source files of my cartridge V1.3 below, I hope it will help).

Greetings + Thanks.

Paris___Parc_Andre_Citroen.zip

The working procedure for the Te Pau Wherigo is exactly the same. I still have the problems. The latest firmware for the colorado has been loaded. Here in Holland I have same clients who wants toe bring there colorado back to the shop.

I can provide you with more information in needed. Please send me a mail for more information.

Geetings Bosscout.

I have just encountered exactly the same symptoms with my new cache http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...34-a20e859b220b

This is exceedingly frustrating - works fine on the CO compiled locally, but compiled on the site or uploaded from the builder it crashes the CO on hitting "Play".

With a hint from Tequila I managed to fix the issue. It seems the CO didn't like the long introductory message that was displayed on hitting "Play". I therefore split that up into a series of shorter Dialogs and it seems to proceed fine now.

I wish TPTB would at least respond that they have noted this issue and intend to fix it :sad:

We'll take a look at this!

Thanks J2B2 - if they are not cached in the bowels of the Wherigo website and if it would help I will happily send you the source code from the problem versions off line.

There is clearly a difference in the behaviour of the online complier and that embodied in the builder - given that I had been running this repeatedy in the version compiled locally with no problems and never dreamed that the online version would produce different results.

I was having this problems last night. I found that if you named the file with a shorter name it should work. I had one named "Where in Sioux Falls in Carmen Sandiego.lua". I could compile and use it in the emulator but when I would compile and send it to the Colorado it would say that it couldn't open cartrige. So I tried to compile it online and it wouldn't even compile. I just got an error. So I renamed the file to "Carmen.lua" and it compiled and worked just fine on the Colorado from the builder.

I think this is the same issure you guys are having.

StaticTank

I now know what you are talking about. I had the same issure with my intro instructions. I also ran into another problem where using a comma in the dialog boxes cause lines of text to be cut off. I believe that this is due to the fact that the Dialog code uses commas as delimeters. It would be nice if this wasn't something we had to worry about.

StaticTank