Chincoteague Pony Coin

E.caballus

Glitch :):D Just heard from the mint that they can't make the back 3D with the hard enamel colors flow/look right so they are suggesting to do the back in 2D. I showed them the beautiful Year of the Ox, but they pointed out that there is a circle around the center 3D part. We could possibly do a 2D edging around the ship and ponies, but not sure how that would turn out.

Anyone have suggestions on how to possibily keep the back in 3D?

Glitch :):laughing: Just heard from the mint that they can't make the back 3D with the hard enamel colors flow/look right so they are suggesting to do the back in 2D. I showed them the beautiful Year of the Ox, but they pointed out that there is a circle around the center 3D part. We could possibly do a 2D edging around the ship and ponies, but not sure how that would turn out.

Anyone have suggestions on how to possibily keep the back in 3D?

It took me awhile to find which thread this question was asked. I have a seen a couple of coins with 3D artwork use enamel and translucents. I have a suggestion but not sure it will work (basically putting pressure on the mint). The back of the ET 2007 had 3D hands (I can send you a picture if you need it) and they did use translucents around the hands. It appears they did it as a "soft" translucent, much like a "soft" enamel. Ask them if they could do it in a soft enamel/translucent versus the regular. They may say no but if you go back and forth they may give in. Just a thought but it has been done.

There are coins with 3D and soft enamel colors, like this one:

http://img.geocaching.com/track/log/6f2cab...50849ab1072.jpg

So may be it is possible with soft enamel translucent colors. Good luck!

Thanks - I think C&P actually did that coin too, but they said they can't get the translucent colors we want in soft enamel. Sounds like they already went ahead with the recessed 3D approach - we'll see how the samples turn out.

Samples are back!

Trying to decide which finishes to use. Here are a couple of photos:

Antique Silver:

b8544c38-d56c-4e62-9118-cee8d46a3cd2.jpg

Black Nickel:

697461cc-b2f7-4bce-8049-fa5a476f5377.jpg

Antique Copper:

12ed1957-d698-445a-ac31-02382bd52b70.jpg

Polished Gold:

73a505cb-d1f8-44c3-bc53-484b02858d54.jpg

Other possible finishes are:

Antique Bronze

Polished Copper

Polished Nickel

Antique Silver with Black Nickel Horses

Polished Nickel with Gold Horses

Some will be offered for pre-sale in April probably and some will be for trade-only.

I just got the C&P pre-sale email and they are listed, but only the AB and AS. Sorry, not my decision.

As the designer, I think I can order some AC and N/G as well - please drop me an email with what you would like and I'll see if I can. I guess I can trade them or sell them myself, so unfortunately there will be a bit of extra shipping cost. I plan on getting a few AS/BN for special trade-only as well.

I just got the C&P pre-sale email and they are listed, but only the AB and AS. Sorry, not my decision.

As the designer, I think I can order some AC and N/G as well - please drop me an email with what you would like and I'll see if I can. I guess I can trade them or sell them myself, so unfortunately there will be a bit of extra shipping cost. I plan on getting a few AS/BN for special trade-only as well.

Can I get 3 AC & 3 N/G?? (sent email too)

Nice to see such a great response to this coin! I love these ponies and to see them on a coin is awesome! I cannot wait to see them in person! My hat is off to Hilda and her daughter for all their hard work on the artwork, they sure did a great job!!!

I will have some of the trade only silver/black nickel coins. A very limited number of the copper ones if someone missed out on those (possibly 1-2) and a few of the nickel/gold ones as well.

Have a great evening all :antenna:

Sonya

Any updates?

I just got a mail from C&P that my order (for the AB & AS) is shipped, now i'll have to wait :P

I'm kicking myself for not getting in on this coin sale. I don't know what I was (or wasn't) thinking. I took my daughter to see the running of the ponies when she was in the 5th grade. It was fascinating. Marguerite Henry wrote Misty of Chincoteague about one of the wild ponies on the island. She wrote several other horse themed books, too.. all centered around the wild ponies. I'll contact Coins and Pins and see if I can pick up some of the coins for her. Thanks!

I got a set this weekend, and they are beautiful! Problem is, I had preordered two sets, but received an email that there had been a miscount, and I would only get one set. I did get a prompt refund from Coins and Pins, so that's not a problem. I'm just bummed because one set was for me, and one was a gift for my sister (who was big into Misty too!).

This is the first time I've done a preorder. Is there anyway I can get a couple more without it taking a lot of time and effort? And is it normal to not be able to get a full order (4 coins) when one does a preorder?

All that aside...they are simply beautiful!

Edited by stargazer21

I got a set this weekend, and they are beautiful! Problem is, I had preordered two sets, but received an email that there had been a miscount, and I would only get one set. I did get a prompt refund from Coins and Pins, so that's not a problem. I'm just bummed because one set was for me, and one was a gift for my sister (who was big into Misty too!).

This is the first time I've done a preorder. Is there anyway I can get a couple more without it taking a lot of time and effort? And is it normal to not be able to get a full order (4 coins) when one does a preorder?

That's a real bummer you only got one set :-( I have no idea what happened and I haven't had any issues with the pre-orders I've done w/C&P in the past (for other coins). Did you ask C&P if they plan on ordering a few more? Glad you like them :-)

That's a real bummer you only got one set :-( I have no idea what happened and I haven't had any issues with the pre-orders I've done w/C&P in the past (for other coins). Did you ask C&P if they plan on ordering a few more? Glad you like them :-)

Heard back from C&P...they were very nice and apologized. They also said there would be some more, and they would let me know!

YAY!