Chincoteague Pony Coin

E.caballus

Krazytrollz and I were discussing a trade and started "chatting" about the Chincoteague ponies. Here's an early peek at our joint design:

0b54fdf7-fef5-4246-be10-dff96854fe82.jpg

We're thinking 3D with different levels - thickest in the front where the foal is, then the mare & bird on her back at the middle level, and the bushes and flying birds at the most recessed level. Possible tweaks: remove the rim and just embedded "Chincoteague Pony" in the sky area, make the bushes lower/less distinct so the sitting bird will be more visible.

For the back, we're thinking of having some horses swimming from a wrecked ship to Assateague under a glowing moon, with a glitter blue sea (which is one of the theories regarding how the ponies got there initially).

Would be trackable, sold via pre-sale with C&P if there's enough interest.

Any suggestions are appreciated :D

Some info on the ponies: http://www.assateagueisland.com/wildlife/pony.htm

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Nice design but just as an FYI, there is another designer (overseas I believe) that is doing a different horse breeds every month kind of thing. They've done the Arabian and Quarter Horse already.

Like I said just FYI.

I love horses but I've already got my 2 favorite breeds :D so I would probably trade for this one down the road if you went with it.

Even at this early stage I really like the look of this coin.....so cute with the foal and the little bird on the pony's back. Love the background and birds in flight too...... your plans for the other side sound wonderful as well.

Ali :D

Edited by Geo-Gophers

Nice design but just as an FYI, there is another designer (overseas I believe) that is doing a different horse breeds every month kind of thing. They've done the Arabian and Quarter Horse already.

Like I said just FYI.

Yup, I've got his Arab on display with my mustangs :lol:

I love horses but I've already got my 2 favorite breeds :D so I would probably trade for this one down the road if you went with it.

Sounds good. I love your designs and only have the Rainforest Jewel so far.

Wow, I love your idea for the back of the coin!

in the early 90's I spent some time on Assategue island... so many people who visit the Del & Ocean City beaches have no clue about this lovely little place with it's beautiful beaches!

Seeing all of the Wild Ponies was wonderful, and they're very protected in this State Park, so for the most part they are able to remain wild. (There were a few aggressive Ponies that seemed to want human contact, probably from being fed by tourists which is a no-no, lol)

Thanks for the memory! It is such a unique place in America, and not many people know too much about it!

I can't wait for your coin! :D

Wow, sounds very nice, we would be very interested in this coin. Hope to see it come to reality. We would def. purchase these.

We love the idea and we both love horses. With the wife being raised up on a farm, she used to have 7-8 all different breeds, she would love this coin and remind her of her childhood and all the time training her horses.

Barry of sweetlife

I spent many summers as a youth driving from Indiana to Chincoteague for vacation. I have many great memories of the horses and also times at the beach and crabbing at the bridge to make dinner at the campground.

Count me in for a few of these (presents for my parents and to add to my small but growing collection)!!!!!!!

Sorry for the silence. We tried several times to get swimming ponies from a shipwreck to the island, but just couldn't get the ratios correct for the heads of the swimming ponies to look decent when the whole coin is only 1.75". So we settled for just two ponies safely on land with a shipwreck in the background.

Sketches are at C&P for translation into dieart. They said they are pretty busy right now, so maybe another week or two before die art is ready for review, esp since the back sketch needs a lot of re-work. Here are links to the rough sketches if anyone would like to take a peek. Any feedback is always welcome.

Front Mare & Foal

Back Sunrise

Back Moonlight

We are thinking antique silver for the moonlight version, then antique bronze and/or antique copper for the sunrise version. Possible a couple of two-tones for trading only.

Sorry for the silence. We tried several times to get swimming ponies from a shipwreck to the island, but just couldn't get the ratios correct for the heads of the swimming ponies to look decent when the whole coin is only 1.75". So we settled for just two ponies safely on land with a shipwreck in the background.

Sketches are at C&P for translation into dieart. They said they are pretty busy right now, so maybe another week or two before die art is ready for review, esp since the back sketch needs a lot of re-work. Here are links to the rough sketches if anyone would like to take a peek. Any feedback is always welcome.

Front Mare & Foal

Back Sunrise

Back Moonlight

We are thinking antique silver for the moonlight version, then antique bronze and/or antique copper for the sunrise version. Possible a couple of two-tones for trading only.

these look GREAT!! can't wait...

Wow, it is going to be amazing. I bought my first geocoin to put in caches... Little did I know that I'd be hook on collecting once I received it. It was the Natasha Jack Russell coin, so beautiful I couldn't part with it. My next 2 are horse based the Arab & Quarter horse... Being an equestrian, I love all things horsey - I would absolutely love one of these!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Would it help to have actual pictures of the pony's? I have some digital shots stored somewhere from when we camped at Asseteque.

Would it help to have actual pictures of the pony's? I have some digital shots stored somewhere from when we camped at Asseteque.

Thanks for the offer of photos of the ponies. KrazyTrollz sent us several, and we did use them as the starting point for the sketches. She had one where one of the ponies was almost in someone's tent!

Roamed the Internet a bit and came up with:

http://www.thehiddengalleon.com/treasurehunter.htm

Not clear to me from the brief summary of La Galga that the ship carried ponies, but I haven't read the book. Wasn't able to find a manifest listing on the web.

Some other theories at:

http://www.vims.edu/GreyLit/SeaGrant/vmrb34-2.pdf

Start on page 13

The theory of the shipwrecked Spanish galleon is certainly the most fascinating one for me :D And makes for a nice coin design. :(;)

Oh this is a 'must' coin for me. I think it is going to be absolutely beautiful when it is finished. Where is the sign-up sheet?

Glad you like it :lol: No sign-up sheet other than being on CoinsAndPins' email notification list for their pre-sales. I just asked them today if they have a revised dieart done yet - hopefully soon.

Just heard from C&P that they are almost done with the design. :laughing::laughing:

Moonlight version will be with a glow moon:

d89fabd4-9906-4234-bdab-1f3df2d2a402.jpg

Tracking number on the edge, will have some seagulls added to the front rim.

Not quite sure what the gray areas for the horses' legs translate to in the mold, but they assured me the mint would understand.

Any opinion regarding whether the reflected water should glow also?

Just heard from C&P that they are almost done with the design. :laughing::laughing:

Moonlight version will be with a glow moon:

d89fabd4-9906-4234-bdab-1f3df2d2a402.jpg

Tracking number on the edge, will have some seagulls added to the front rim.

Not quite sure what the gray areas for the horses' legs translate to in the mold, but they assured me the mint would understand.

Any opinion regarding whether the reflected water should glow also?

Very Pretty coin, Grew up on a farm and had 8 horses while growing up. Would love to add one of these to our collection. Great work and great design. Job well done. Thanks for the update.

Any updates on when this coin will be ready for sale? Sure is beautiful.

I should be seeing another rev of dieart any day now, probably tweak it for a week and hopefully can be done before the holidays. Then some weeks to order samples, so probably Jan or Feb before C&P puts them up for pre-sale and another month after that for coins in hand.

We are thinking of doing the following finishes:

sunrise in antique copper

sunrise in antique bronze

moonlight in antique silver

Then a couple of two-tones which might be for trade-only or special editions:

two-tone moonlight with black nickel and shiny nickel horses

two-tone sunrise with satin nickel background and gold horses

OMG! My sister and I grew up in Texas, and adored all the Margurite Henry books...but especially Misty! We had ponies and we spent pretty much our entire childhoods with our ponies down by the lake, pretending to be shipwrecked on Assateague! LOL! My old copy of "Misty" is so broken down from the millions of times that I read it, that I have it in a protector and can't open it any longer. Thought about getting it rebound...but just looking at how worn it is reminds my of a perfect childhood.

So, being an awesome big sister, I enjoy finding gifts for my little sis that make her cry (happy cry!). ;) These coins are so beautiful, and will blow us both away! I'm signed up on the site and this will be my first preorder when they hit! Can't wait!