Fishing lure / tangled fishing line cache

DSC00882.jpg

DSC00883.jpg

I am the guy that posted these pics just to get some opinions from people because I am new to this hobby. I want to make different type caches. I am an avid fisherman. I used to help out on Sanibel Island Florida taking care of injured wildlife. Many birds are caught every yeas in discarded fishing line. We just went to Fort Myers beach for vacation and I assisted in helping a pelican that was tangled with fishing line. The bird probably got tangled diving for bait that was being used from the pier, but yes it does happen. My lure cache would not be and was never going to be a big tangled ball of discarded fishing line. I was going to and still am by the way going to use a 30 pound salt water leader line to secure in a tree or along the bank some where. It will be found by a very determined cacher. I will put it some place that is not fished heavily but will not seem out of place. I will also put a small label on it that any one who comes across it will realize it is not a lure for fishing. Wild life will not be injured by the type of line I will use. It is a stiff line and will not tangle around an animal. I will however consider using some other type of line in it place if I can come up with a viable option. I assure every one here, as an avid fisherman, mountain biker and outdoors conscience person, I will not be harming any animals. By the way, before any one says it, yes the hooks are cut. The barbs are gone. They are not dangerous.

The only way geocaching is going to improve, grow and prosper is for people to keep pushing the boundaries and coming up with new creative ideas to improve to sport. If we stop pushing the boundaries, the sport dies. For better or worse its how things get done.

Geocaching does benefit from "improvement" - thought not everyone agrees on what is improvement. Improvement may come from experimentation with new ideas as well. But what really comes from experimentation is knowledge and experience. Over the 7 or 8 years geocaching has been around, geocachers have learned what containers work and which get muggled easily. We have learned what lasts when exposed to the environment and what will need constant maintenance. We even learned what kinds of caches get mistaken for bombs and what kinds of hides get land managers and self-proclaimed defenders of the environment upset. (And that sometimes you don't want to get these people upset because this cause problems for all geocachers) It's fine to come up with clever ideas for new cache and great when these ideas are discussed in the forums. Listen to those who have gained experience - either personally or via reading about what has failed here in the forums. It sounds like this idea is one that many people with experience feel can cause problems. I'd probably drop this idea and look for another one that might work better.

It's not as if pushing the boundaries were a new concept. There's a nearby area that had several cachers constantly pushing the boundaries. Around 2001-2002. From what I can see in the aftermath, they had constant running battles with the reviewers (and the guidelines were a lot less strict back then.) No, you cannot hide a cache in an active electrical box! No, you cannot hide a cache where seekers have to slide underneath fences posted "No Trespassing". Albeit, some very interesting hides. ;) Reviewers keep closer tabs on those sorts of hiders. And those hiders seem to have left for other sites. Nope. Pushing the envelope for the sake of pushing the envelope is not being creative, nor advancing geocaching. Though they did bring us to some very interesting places. ;)

Yaaa!!! I'm a troll.

I KNEW IT! ;)

That would explain the incredible odor! ;)

But seriously folks...

It's good to read that the OP has dropped the 'ball of monofilament' idea.

I do suspect there will be an issue with a repeated need for replacements, but if the OP wants to be a shining example of cache maintenance as has been stated, there shouldn't be a problem!

As an environmentally conscious fisherman, I have a real issue with the 'ball of monofilament'. Not only is it environmentally irresponsible, it gives fishermen and sportsmen in general a bad reputation. A lot of sportsman are trying to counter this image though education and example.

Let me reiterate and make this very clear and state one more time.

I agree that the mono line outside in the wild with the cache is a bad idea, plane and simple. I still like the creativeness of the cache and believe it can be placed by other means and in a location that makes it a great suitable hide for cachers and non-harmful to wildlife.

Ill drink to that, cheers. And oh, it still smells here. ;)

Let me reiterate and make this very clear and state one more time.

I agree that the mono line outside in the wild with the cache is a bad idea, plane and simple. I still like the creativeness of the cache and believe it can be placed by other means and in a location that makes it a great suitable hide for cachers and non-harmful to wildlife.

Ill drink to that, cheers. And oh, it still smells here. ;)

Smells like hops. Here here!

The thing that is annoying me about this whole thread is that it has gone way off subject. I was asking people for comments or advise about some cache containers I have made. I did get advise. Thanks for that. But this is how it should have gone, " hey, those look like good cache ideas, but my only concern is that animals might get tangled in the fishing line. You need to be careful when placing it." Starting out with comments about foolishness or irresponsibility just got this whole thing off on the wrong foot. To say that the lure cache is a bad idea or should not be used is not the correct way to go about it. Expressing your concern and asking how the cache would be presented would have been a better way to go. I realize that some one did make a reply about the tangled fishing line in a tree but that should not end the idea of that type of cache. It should start a constructive conversation about how it could be done without detriment. I have sifted through and got a couple ideas that will aid me in making this a very enjoyable cache. I saw the other lure had a small metal tag attached to it. That would not look out of place on a fishing lure. I will put a Geocache.com sticker on it so it will not get pilfered. And once again, I will not use a fishing line that will get tangled. Or I will make it short enough that it will not get tangled.

There is not debating that many birds and animals get hurt from irresponsible fisherman that leave fishing line or hooks lying around. Lets stop making this thread about this. I was supposed to be a fun suggestion page. Lets get back to it.

I imagine you find googling pretty tough so here you go:

See, now you're gettin nasty. Someone doesn't share your point of view so you attack.. you'd be a good politician.

No. You disbelieved anectdotal experiences and you effectivley called me a liar. It wasn't a simple not sharing my point of view. A simple google search by you would have sufficed without you demanding proof from me.

Oh yah, one more thing...

you'd be a good politician.

Take that back and call me something dirty. ;)

Edited by TotemLake

The thing that is annoying me about this whole thread is that it has gone way off subject. I was asking people for comments or advise about some cache containers I have made. I did get advise. Thanks for that. But this is how it should have gone, " hey, those look like good cache ideas, but my only concern is that animals might get tangled in the fishing line. You need to be careful when placing it." Starting out with comments about foolishness or irresponsibility just got this whole thing off on the wrong foot. To say that the lure cache is a bad idea or should not be used is not the correct way to go about it. Expressing your concern and asking how the cache would be presented would have been a better way to go. I realize that some one did make a reply about the tangled fishing line in a tree but that should not end the idea of that type of cache. It should start a constructive conversation about how it could be done without detriment. I have sifted through and got a couple ideas that will aid me in making this a very enjoyable cache. I saw the other lure had a small metal tag attached to it. That would not look out of place on a fishing lure. I will put a Geocache.com sticker on it so it will not get pilfered. And once again, I will not use a fishing line that will get tangled. Or I will make it short enough that it will not get tangled.

There is not debating that many birds and animals get hurt from irresponsible fisherman that leave fishing line or hooks lying around. Lets stop making this thread about this. I was supposed to be a fun suggestion page. Lets get back to it.

As far as this OP in this thread was concerned, the inquiry asked for our thoughts on it. As far as my "thoughts" are on this particular cache idea, even though steps are being taken to ensure wildlife is not harmed by it, I still think it is an aesthetically bad idea. I'll even tell you why bearing in mind this is just my opinion. This game is supposed to be invisible to the general public. Our motto is Cache In Trash Out. Leaving lures in trees is generally done by someone not able to retrieve it or simply doesn't care, effectively creating a littered scene. I question the need to leave something out that is highly visible and detracts from the general scenery with something that looks like was left behind by a careless person.

The problem you run into with these forums is when an opinion is asked, many opinions are given. Telling people how they should respond.... well let's just say even my wife gave up on that fight a long time ago. ;)

Edited by TotemLake

The thing that is annoying me about this whole thread is that it has gone way off subject. I was asking people for comments or advise about some cache containers I have made. I did get advise. Thanks for that. But this is how it should have gone, " hey, those look like good cache ideas, but my only concern is that animals might get tangled in the fishing line. You need to be careful when placing it." Starting out with comments about foolishness or irresponsibility just got this whole thing off on the wrong foot.

I took issue with the idea of a tangled mess of fishing line being used to disguise the geocache as mentioned by jbhodj & Drake. A lure cache if thoughtfully done would be a unique if not cool cache. Short lived, but cool.

To say that the lure cache is a bad idea or should not be used is not the correct way to go about it.

Most of the posters were against the idea of the tangled mess of fishing line, not the lure.

Expressing your concern and asking how the cache would be presented would have been a better way to go. I realize that some one did make a reply about the tangled fishing line in a tree but that should not end the idea of that type of cache. It should start a constructive conversation about how it could be done without detriment.

Which I did when I said this, "I think it is both foolish, and irresponsible. Thousands of birds and mammals die yearly when they become ensnared in fishing line that was carelessly left behind. By placing a cache using discarded fishing, you risk offending land owners as well as folks who dislike caching. Your cache could be used as evidence against geocaching, and it could give responsible geocachers a black eye."

I was referring to the method in which he wanted to hide the lure cache, not the actually cache.

I apologize to TotemLake for saying that any one "should" have responded in a certain way. What I should have said was "it would have been nice". Some people did respond positively to the idea. That was cool. I do understand every ones concern and believe me I am glad that people do care. I really enjoy this hobby and would not want to participate in it if the people were not environment conscience enough to take care when they do it.

Onto something TotemLake said, about the cache being invisible. I had never thought about that. Someone asked me " why isn't Geocacheing littering"? I thought about it. I told him that we maintain the containers and make they are not just lying around where every one can see them. And they usually blend into the surroundings. So back to TotemLake's invisible comment. Now I am questioning the lure cache. I guess I could put it on the bank tucked under something so someone not looking for it would not see it. But other than that, I do not think the cache would fit your invisible requirement. I will have to give this some more thought after all.

Well gotta go guys. I have some plastic 6 pack holders to throw in the lake ;) and some old oil to pour down the sewer. B)

We have a hide on the fringes of Totem Lake - the body of water, not the prolific forums poster - that is somewhat on point for this discussion. It is hanging in a tree and is only a bit larger than the lure pictured. It is in plain sight if you look at it from the correct angle. The casual visitor will likely never see it. The size of the container and the hide location are such that it should be very unlikely that any wildlife would ever attempt to cosume it. Check it out here: GC13R87

We have a hide on the fringes of Totem Lake - the body of water, not the prolific forums poster - that is somewhat on point for this discussion. It is hanging in a tree and is only a bit larger than the lure pictured. It is in plain sight if you look at it from the correct angle. The casual visitor will likely never see it. The size of the container and the hide location are such that it should be very unlikely that any wildlife would ever attempt to cosume it. Check it out here: GC13R87

Looks like a good way to do it.

But seriously folks...

I do suspect there will be an issue with a repeated need for replacements, but if the OP wants to be a shining example of cache maintenance as has been stated, there shouldn't be a problem!

If you folks would look back on the CCC thread, you will see that GR8Johnson NEVER PLANNED A HUGE BALL OF LINE. Somebody along the way Completely misinterpreted the entries and GR8 began to get persecuted and a huge misunderstood discussion ensued. If you all look back at your entries, you are preaching to the quoir. Though I don't have years of experience under my belt, I give fellow cachers the benefit of the doubt.

All of the cachers that I have met are environmentally conscious. I have practiced CITO back when it was Camp In Trash Out. I can't imagine anybody doing this sport without respecting the environment.

But seriously folks...

If you folks would look back on the CCC thread, you will see that GR8Johnson NEVER PLANNED A HUGE BALL OF LINE. Somebody along the way Completely misinterpreted the entries and GR8 began to get persecuted and a huge misunderstood discussion ensued. If you all look back at your entries, you are preaching to the quoir. Though I don't have years of experience under my belt, I give fellow cachers the benefit of the doubt.

All of the cachers that I have met are environmentally conscious. I have practiced CITO back when it was Camp In Trash Out. I can't imagine anybody doing this sport without respecting the environment.

How dare you use facts to support your point of view? How are the angst mongers supposed to keep the battle going if you come along and prove that they are fighting over nothing?

See post this post. The issue was never gr8johnson's lure idea, it was the ball of discarded monofilament thought up by jbhodj & Drake. Gr8johnson was never persecuted in the CCC thread. Here is the first post in this thread, to refresh your memory of what occurred.

An idea for a fishing lure cache was brought up in the cool caching container thread. Several cachers wanted to emulate the creators idea, and a mini debate ensued. Rather than derailing the thread, I felt it was a better idea to start a new thread.

Here is the post I took issue with.

"In regards to the fishing lure. I think its a great idea, and best possible hide would be to put in in a tree with some balled up and tangled up fishing line, posing like someone got in stuck there while casting and broke the line in frustration. Heck I would even try to get it placed out on a limb hanging over water to add to the effect.

Of course with respect to the environment and littering, you would have to make sure that no fishing line was improperly disposed of and if hanging over water on a limb, you may have issue with some with children ect.

I am taking your idea and running with it, I love it."

Edited by Kit Fox