EarthCache Icons

BiT

This may be a cross post but it didn't get a lot of attention on the other forum.

I actively seek out EarthCaches while traveling. I now have the new Garmin Colorado and the EarthCache icon still appears as the traditional cache icon (green box). I have two issue with this. One, I want to see what caches in a given area are EarthCaches. Two, maybe a little more importantly, is that some searchers may be looking for a traditional cache at an EarthCache location and potentially cause harm to the location.

I've written to Groundspeak but they state it is a Garmin issue. Garmin needs more people to bring it to their attention.

This may be a cross post but it didn't get a lot of attention on the other forum.

I actively seek out EarthCaches while traveling. I now have the new Garmin Colorado and the EarthCache icon still appears as the traditional cache icon (green box). I have two issue with this. One, I want to see what caches in a given area are EarthCaches. Two, maybe a little more importantly, is that some searchers may be looking for a traditional cache at an EarthCache location and potentially cause harm to the location.

I've written to Groundspeak but they state it is a Garmin issue. Garmin needs more people to bring it to their attention.

Why dont you do a seperate PQ for Earthcaches and then load them selecting a different icon?

Simple really.

If I push them into the Colorado as a POI they don't have the cache page info. If I push them as an EarthCache only PQ, they still show as tradition green box but I will have the cache page data. If I push them as both a POI and then as as an EarthCache only PQ, the tradition green box overwrites the image of the POI so I'm back to the same as before.

Yep, I had a 60 CSx and pushed all my caches into it with the related icon. On the CO, it is all tied to the GPX file. The icon is coded on the GPX file. I believe all the icons are now correct EXCEPT the EarthCache icon.

Yep, I had a 60 CSx and pushed all my caches into it with the related icon. On the CO, it is all tied to the GPX file. The icon is coded on the GPX file. I believe all the icons are now correct EXCEPT the EarthCache icon.

Ill hold off on buying one till they fix it ;)

Maybe they will fix it in a firmware upgrade? Keep an eye on the garmin homepage

New Software update for the Garmin Colorados;

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3891

Changes made from version 2.51 to 2.54:

Added ability to turn elevation shading off, included in user profile settings

Added ability to log a comment with geocaching Field Notes

Added ability to save map selections to user profile settings

Added compass setting to saved user profile settings

Added tracback along current track

Added ability to determine public land survey or USGS Quad name for Topo 24k HD cartography

Added progress bar during software updates

Improved odometer distance calculation

Improved Wherigo engine

Improved backlight behavior

Improved compass / gps heading autoswitch behavior

Improved keyboard behavior in address & intersection searches

Improved behavior in low battery state

Improved behavior of turn-by-turn route recalcuations

Improved map drawing to eliminate redraws when not necessary

Improved map drawing to reduce partial map draws

Improved map drawing to enhance appearance of trails

Improved usability of WGS84 by listing as a datum rather than just a spheroid

Improved automatic track archiving when archiving very lengthy activity segments

Increased maximum number of GPX files processed to 200

Corrected guidance text to not truncate streets when not necessary

Corrected behavior of proximity alarms in custom points of interest

Corrected potential issues that prevented user alarm from sounding

Corrected map drawing above 75 degrees latitude

Corrected potential issue when attempting to delete profiles

Corrected issue that generated extra waypoints at poweron when 'Mark Waypoint' was the first listed shortcut

Corrected potential issue preventing 'Waypoints' from being listed in 'Where to?'

Corrected issue that prevented poor signal strength messages from disappearing if a fix was achieved

Corrected calculated issue that prevented complete display of large numbers

Corrected specified schema path for GPX files

Corrected Dutch keyboard to include 'Z' for address searches

Corrected User Grid to retain settings between power cycles

Corrected User Grid to allow 'E' and 'W' for longitude origin entry

The CO is great except the issue with the EarthCache icon. The newly added ability log a comment with geocaching Field Notes is awesome.

Anybody have a work around to get the EarthCache icon to show on the CO?

Ill hold off on buying one till they fix it :)

Maybe they will fix it in a firmware upgrade? Keep an eye on the garmin homepage

I must smile, that is not the truth, NO GARMIN MISTAKE . I called Garmin and I talked with programmers and they say that the problem must be coming from Groundspeak!!!!

It dosen´t matter if you got a Colorado or Oregon........ with every GPS_device of Garmin also the Nüvi Alround there is no Earth-Cache Icon .

The Way of the Icon:

1-in Listing

2-in GPX-File

3-also in GSAK

4-not in GPS?! Why

Is it possible that there is an same number or code for the earthcache and tradi-cache icon?

Garmin told me that the caches become there icons from the transfered file, that also means that you don´t have this icons in your garmin.

When you make a waypoint to an cache you only find the treasur-box closed or opened.

And thats why garmin says that the mistake is from Groundspeak.

Sorry about my bad english.

greets Sloan

Thanks for starting this thread! I never thought about updating the firmware on my Oregon to resolve this, but it will be a great help. It would have been really great during my vacation to the 4 Corner states in the US to have the EarthCaches stand out on their own. I'm going to update my firmware tonight!