New GPS details 60CSX vs CX vista hcx vs legend hcx

hydroslyder

Hey everybody I'm new to geocaching and I'm in the market for a new gps, I don't mind spending the money to get something good but don't want to spend money on things I don't need. I've pretty much narrowed my options down to the Garmin 60 CSX or the Vista HCX, my two questions are both of these models have an identical model without the digital compass and barometer, are these features necessary or helpful for geocaching? My second question is I can find the 60 Csx for 303 and the vista hcx for 229, is the 60 csx worth the extra 70 dollars? When I do a side by side comparison on Garmin's website of the two the only big differences i noticed are bigger screen size and tide tables on the 60csx, screen size is kinda important as I will be getting the city navigator maps to use the gps in my car but tide tables I don't care about. If y'all had to pick which one would you go with to be mainly used geocaching and for driving directions the 60 Csx, the 60 Cx, the Vista Hcx or the Legend Hcx

You are so right, they are very close in features.

There are a few differences--and those differences can be well worth the extra money--but the trouble is some people prefer one and some the other. Bottom line: they are both very good units It really does boil down to which one you prefer the "feel" and look of. If it's at all possible for you to go to a store or a geocaching event and hold both of these, it would be well worth your time to do that.

The chip in the Hcx is different from one in the CSx. There are people who say it is as accurate and some who say better/worse--but the version in the HCx is newer and all the units that use it seem to have had some troubles lately.

The screen is larger on the CSx, the HCx has greater resolution on a smaller screen. We're talking slight differences both ways. I'm not convinced the average guy can notice the difference in a few pixels on something that small anyway. My husband uses his CSx to navigate while driving a semi.

The control layout and the way the units have to be held is vastly different. Everything you need is on the front with the CSx and it's on the sides with the HCx. My husband finds it easier to use the CSx while driving because the buttons are on the front. I find the CSx to be kinder to my wrists while geocaching (I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists). Other people appreciate and enjoy the smaller size of the HCx.

I recently got involved in a rather long and tedious argument about this very topic. (But you may find that thread helpful).

Personally, I feel the 60CSx is the best unit out there right now for geocaching. I just recently bought my husband one for his birthday (to upgrade him from the 60 CS I got him a month before the CSx came out). But you might prefer the HCx--and if you do, you can use the money you save toward a nice map.

Whatever you decide, happy caching to you!

Edited by Neos2

thanks for the informative reply. My only other question is what about the lower models to the 60csx and the vista hcx? The models that don't have an electronic compass or barometer, are these models just as good for geocaching, I guess I'm wondering is the electronic compass, that is the cause for the difference in price between say the 60csx and the 60cx, useful for geocaching? Or should i save my money and get the 60cx

Edited by hydroslyder

I personally find the electronic compass and barometric altimeter to be near useless for Geocaching. I know manyothers disagree but I just don't like the extra calibration needed and the fluctuations caused by so many objects. I have a nice compass with me anyway.

I personally like the LegendHCx but understand about the screen size. I must also admit the 60CSx has long been considered the best Geocaching unit available.

The barometric altimeter I have not used in 2 years of having a GPS with it 76CSx but on the other hand I find the electonic compass very useful, when you stop walking a non-electronic compass stops working so if you get to an area and are looking around for a cache within a couple of feet your compass is not accurate but an electronic will continue to work and that stops the neddle from jumping around like crazy. The non-electronic compass works off of positioning to the satellite and if the change is little it is not accurate. I have been know to set the GPS down to let it settle while I walk around looking and the electronic compass continues to work correct.

I personally find the electronic compass and barometric altimeter to be near useless for Geocaching. I know manyothers disagree but I just don't like the extra calibration needed and the fluctuations caused by so many objects. I have a nice compass with me anyway.

I personally like the LegendHCx but understand about the screen size. I must also admit the 60CSx has long been considered the best Geocaching unit available.

On the other hand I wouldn't buy a GPS without the electronic compass. You need to be moving at a fairly brisk pace for a non compass unit to know direction. When you slow down or stop, your GPS goes bananas. That doesn't happen with the electronic compass. It always knows direction, whether you are moving or standing still.

Being that the compass is magnetic, the same thing can throw it off as may throw off a regular handheld compass. Large iron deposits in the ground, proximity to other large metal objects, etc.

It's just a matter of personal preference.

I'm still pretty new to all of this so take my comments with a grain of salt. I did do research on both the vista hcx and the 60csx. Was considering the vista until I ran into a lot of comments regarding the unit freezing up. So that swayed me to the 60csx.

I bought mine from www.mympt.com for $284.88 which that includes shipping, handling and taxes. That was the best price I could find on the net or in a physical store. It is suppose to be here on Tuesday so I am anxiously awaiting the arrival.

I have the 60cx and have been caching for only about 2 months. It works well for what I have done. I also put it on my ATV with the handle bar holder and it works great for that as well. I have not used any other GPS but I know 4 other people that have either the 60cx or 60csx and they both are great. One thing to look at is the Colorado. I wish I would have had the chance to use one of these before I purchased mine because you can download field notes to the GPS and it is paperless geocaching. I found that newegg.com is a good price and I purchase a lot of electronics through them as well.

Petro51

Hey everybody thanks for all the help, I ended up going with the 60csx because of the larger screen, buttons on the front, and what seems to be better reports from all of you. I got it with the city nav pack and a 2gig card and it is supposed to be here monday, I'll let everyone know how it goes hopefully I'll be racking up the catches soon.

Thanks again for all the help

Well as an update, I got my 60csx in today and love it. I'm so glad I decided on this one, everything works great, even found my first cache today. It literally put me right underneath the cache. I got the City Navigator Maps and a 2 gig card and they work great as well. All in all I couldn't ask for anything more it works great