Geo Coin/Travel Bug Etiquette

While out caching with my son today, I came across two hides where each contained a travel bug, the first ones I've ever seen (I'm still a noob). I took the TB from one, but I'm holding it right now until I find another sutiable cache to put it in.

Is it acceptable to replace something as important as a coin or bug with a small, inexpensive toy? I feel like I should provide something more significant as a replacement item. Can someone please provide me with a short etiquette lesson?

Is it acceptable to replace something as important as a coin or bug with a small, inexpensive toy? I feel like I should provide something more significant as a replacement item. Can someone please provide me with a short etiquette lesson?

Geocoins and travel bugs are not trade items at all. This is because the owners of these bugs want them to keep moving, not sit in a cache awaiting a cacher with a nice item to trade for.

So, you don't need to, and in fact should not, leave anything at all in trade for a travel bug or geocoin.

This is standard practice.

TBs and geocoins are not ordinary swag and not considered trade items. They are travelers owned by other cachers, and their goals involve moving from cache to cache, so you can take/leave them without swapping for anything (so they keep moving). As a TB owner, thank you for appreciating our travelers, and helping them on their way! :D Be sure to properly log them in and out of caches online, so their chronology stays intact and we can live vicariously through their travels.

So if I come across a bug or coin I don't need to replace it with anything?? Wow...OK, I'm glad I asked.

Now, a related question. How long is too long to be holding on to a bug before placing it in another cache? The one I took today I found near the end of our caching day, and we were right within a rather small mileage area. I think I would have felt kind of goofy if I had placed this bug a mere two or three miles from where I had found it. Can I hold it for a week or two before I place it in another cache say...50 miles away? or do I need to get it into another cache...ANY cache...as soon as possible?

So if I come across a bug or coin I don't need to replace it with anything?? Wow...OK, I'm glad I asked.

Now, a related question. How long is too long to be holding on to a bug before placing it in another cache? The one I took today I found near the end of our caching day, and we were right within a rather small mileage area. I think I would have felt kind of goofy if I had placed this bug a mere two or three miles from where I had found it. Can I hold it for a week or two before I place it in another cache say...50 miles away? or do I need to get it into another cache...ANY cache...as soon as possible?

You can place the bug or coin in the very next cache you come to if you want. Just try to place it in a cache that you feel is not likely to be muggled, or in a cache that is fairly active if you are in urban area. No need to worry about moving it a long distance, especially if that distance doesn't help the bug on its mission. A lot of bugs and coins have a mission of just moving from cache to cache and being found by as many cachers as possible.

Two weeks is the recommended limit for the time that you hold a bug or coin, but if you want/need to hold it longer it is a nice courtesy to email the owner and let them know why you are holding it.

Edited by WRASTRO

Thanks everyone for replying so quickly. Your replies have really taught me something. I will do my level best to get the bug into another cache in very short order.

Be sure to read the TB/coin's goal first (on its page or sometimes they have an attached tag). Dropping it into the next cache ASAP isn't always what the traveler wants (altho that's often the goal - simply to move around as much as possible). The guidelines say you have two weeks to move a traveler, and sometimes keeping it a few days enables you to help it further along the way or accomplish a goal (visiting waterfalls, e.g.). I've occasionally kept them longer than two weeks - for example, when I found a TB that wanted to go to New Mexico, and I was going there in a month for the holidays, so I could deliver it directly (I put a note on the TB's page to make sure it was ok with the owner).

Edited by hydnsek

Be sure to read the TB/coin's goal first (on its page or sometimes they have an attached tag). Dropping it into the next cache ASAP isn't always what the traveler wants (altho that's often the goal - simply to move around as much as possible). The guidelines say you have two weeks to move a traveler, and sometimes keeping it a few days enables you to help it further along the way or accomplish a goal (visiting waterfalls, e.g.). I've occasionally kept them longer than two weeks - for example, when I found a TB that wanted to go to New Mexico, and I was going there in a month for the holidays, so I could deliver it directly (I put a note on the TB's page to make sure it was ok with the owner).

Thanks for the tip. That explains why the tag that was attached had the word "Switzerland" written on it. Well, I'm not planning any trips to Switzerland or anywhere else in Europe, but I know of several communities here in Wisconsin with a large Swiss population. I'll plan on dropping it in a cache near there and keep my fingers crossed that a local finder will take it back to his homeland. I know it's a longshot, but a fella can dream, can't he??

Edited by crockett3663

Thanks for the tip. That explains why the tag that was attached had the word "Switzerland" written on it. Well, I'm not planning any trips to Switzerland or anywhere else in Europe, but I know of several communities here in Wisconsin with a large Swiss population. I'll plan on dropping it in a cache near there and keep my fingers crossed that a local finder will take it back to his homeland. I know it's a longshot, but a fella can dream, can't he??

Keep in mind, that while you may only move it a couple miles or even farther, you never know what the next cacher can do to help the mission. Think of ity in regards to the "7 degrees of separation"

I found a supposedly trackable item that I can't find on the website. It says it is an "official Geo-Cache Travel Button", with instructions to log and move to another cache. But the number on the button (FH0804TB08) does not come up on the trackables search, nor does the name (Fire Hawk). What do I do now? This is the first reference I have seen to a "Travel Button" instead of a Travel Bug.

So, you don't need to, and in fact should not, leave anything at all in trade for a travel bug or geocoin.

This is true although the exceptions I have come across are "TB Hotels" where the owner's instructions are to only trade one TB for another. Pick up one, drop one. Pick up 5, drop 5, etc. The reason being to keep the hotel full of travellers at all times.

Personally I don't agree with that kind of policy because I would hope the vast majority of cachers would not be a hog and remove too many TBs from a hotel. But, I followed instructions and even traded.

So be aware that there MIGHT be an owner restriction on even trades for TBs in a few instances. Other than that, I take a TB so it moves. I also try as often as I can to take photos and post them. It's so fun to SEE where a TB is...not just get a blank log when its picked up or dropped.

So...I'm leaving now to photo my latest TB pick up. :huh:

I agree with the previous posters except I usually have a number of trackable items with me. I don't trade sway with trackables. Swag gets traded with swag.

If I take one out of cache, about 75% of the time I'll put one of my other trackables in their so that they can continue on their merry way. Just my part of keeping the game going.

BTW, the other 25% of the time, the trackable will be deposited in a new cache of mine.