What would you do?

This question is purely hypothetical? Would you do if you were caching in a small group and out of the'clear blue sky', one of your fellow cachers deliberately destroyed and/or threw away a cache container? ;)

I would immediately disassociate myself with said cacher and accept the fact that some folks are just butt heads, but I don't need to be around them if I choose not to be. Just my $.02.....cache on.

This question is purely hypothetical? Would you do if you were caching in a small group and out of the'clear blue sky', one of your fellow cachers deliberately destroyed and/or threw away a cache container? ;)

This individual clearly has some personal issues that need to be sorted out.

Firstly, I would notify the cache owner via a note on the cache page that there was a 'problem' with their cache. I would then send a PM to the owner with the gristly details.

My next step would depend on my closeness with the alleged offender.

Am I a close personal friend, or just a casual contact who might become the target of their next outburst of poorly controlled rage?

Sometimes, people need professional help, and attempts to 'help' made by others will only add to the problem.

If said hypothetical cacher was a registered active member and not a temporarily promoted muggle I would have to conclude that there are something seriously wrong with him/her. Thus I would keep a healthy distance to sa(i)d cacher, let's say... a state or two?

If it was just someone 'brought along for the ride and event' I would simply leave his/hers sad @#$ behind right there.

This question is purely hypothetical? Would you do if you were caching in a small group and out of the'clear blue sky', one of your fellow cachers deliberately destroyed and/or threw away a cache container? :D

I'd call him a freaking moron. I'm sure the conversation would hit some high notes from that point on. If they made good and fixed the cache we would likely keep on caching. If they didn't I'd probably drop them from the list of folks I cache with. Sadism has it's place, but only when dealing with masochists. Most of us don't appreciate our caches being destroyed.

This question is purely hypothetical? Would you do if you were caching in a small group and out of the'clear blue sky', one of your fellow cachers deliberately destroyed and/or threw away a cache container? :D

I'd call him a freaking moron. I'm sure the conversation would hit some high notes from that point on. If they made good and fixed the cache we would likely keep on caching. If they didn't I'd probably drop them from the list of folks I cache with. Sadism has it's place, but only when dealing with masochists. Most of us don't appreciate our caches being destroyed.

Yah, I'd probably do the same thing. Of course, like briansnat, I would hope I had a better sense about the friends I hang with these days and not have included that kind of person into my circle.

I like to think that I wouldn't be caching with someone like that in the first place. Maybe when I was 16 I would, but now that I'm an adult I do a better job of picking my friends.

Yup - if it did happen anyway - Last time I would cache with said hypothetical fellow.

I would replace the cache for him as well.

Well is this cache container one the fellow cacher owned or does it belong to someone else? If owned by someone else was the container still viable? Did the fellow cacher replace the container in question? Too many unanswered variables to give a good answer.

This question is purely hypothetical? Would you do if you were caching in a small group and out of the'clear blue sky', one of your fellow cachers deliberately destroyed and/or threw away a cache container? :lol:

I could see this happening with a small child and I forgive it. :D

I pride myself on my judgement of what sort of people I spend my quality time with...... So if it was an adult, I would first ditch and shun them and then question my own judgement for awhile after that... I don't care for that type of mentality. That's why I felt the burning micro coins were in bad taste.... :D

Well is this cache container one the fellow cacher owned or does it belong to someone else? If owned by someone else was the container still viable? Did the fellow cacher replace the container in question? Too many unanswered variables to give a good answer.

Wha..wha...what?? Too many unanswered questions??? What the hell were you reading???

This would obviously be a case of some random dillweed destroying someone else's cache, not one that they owned. What reason would a person have for destroying his own cache??

"Was the container still viable?" Read it again...it was destroyed!!!

"Did the fellow cacher replace the container in queston?" Ummm...highly unlikely. If said hypothetical cacher willingly destroyed a cache container for no reason, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the last thing this (person) would worry about is replacing the cache with another container.

Edited by mtn-man

I have to think that because you came to the forums this isn't really hypothetical. Secondly, you don't approve of the actions, otherwise I doubt you would have brought it up. Thirdly, either you have a bit of respect for the person, this person has a strong personality, or is somewhat of a prominent figure in the area. I can understand the reason for it being "hypothetical." Believe me, once you call out someone it can get more than a little bit complicated.

If it were me:

• Completely disassociate myself with this person(s).
    • If the (ir)responsible person asks why, be upfront with them.
    • Let them know you're not going to say anything, but will not be part of such activity ever again.

[*]Quietly fix the cache if you can.

[*]Let the cache owner what happened without going into detail--possibly anonymously, if that can happen.

I'm curious though, was this a situation where the destroyer didn't approve of the cache? Did he do it out of shear maliciousness? Was the cache an illegal placement or against the guidelines? Hypothetically, of course. There are reasons for removing a cache, but it would be proper to offer to return the cache to the owner.

Wha..wha...what?? Too many unanswered questions??? What the hell were you reading???

This would obviously be a case of some random dillweed destroying someone else's cache, not one that they owned. What reason would a person have for destroying his own cache??

"Did the fellow cacher replace the container in queston?" Ummm...highly unlikely. If said hypothetical cacher willingly destroyed a cache container for no reason, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the last thing this (person) would worry about is replacing the cache with another container.

Wow, you need to calm down just a bit. None of the answers to my questions were available in the original post, otherwise I wouldn't have asked them. Go back and read the OP again and then read my questions again. Every one of your comments and statements is based on assumptions you have made that are not supported by the OP.

Have you ever been exposed to a "query" where you are presented with a hypothetical situation and you have to ask yes or no questions in order to figure out the situation? I have and I took this to be one. Your response proves the point of how easy it is to leap to wild conclusions that are not supported in any way by the information provided.

Edited by mtn-man

I agree with WRASTRO -- the OP left lots of open questions, way too many to give a definitive answer.

I destroyed a cache -- someone else's cache -- just two days ago. Well, at any rate, I picked it up and placed it in the nearest garbage can -- this required carrying it nearly a mile, which was somewhat difficult. I think my action was fully justified. And my action is not hidden; I won't describe the circumstances here since you can find my log very easily if you want.

Really can't tell why the OP asked the question.

Edward

... I destroyed a cache -- someone else's cache -- just two days ago. Well, at any rate, I picked it up and placed it in the nearest garbage can -- this required carrying it nearly a mile, which was somewhat difficult. I think my action was fully justified. And my action is not hidden; I won't describe the circumstances here since you can find my log very easily if you want.
I hope you at least saved the logbook.

"Did the fellow cacher replace the container in queston?" Ummm...highly unlikely. If said hypothetical cacher willingly destroyed a cache container for no reason, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the last thing this d****g would worry about is replacing the cache with another container.

Wow, you need to calm down just a bit. None of the answers to my questions were available in the original post, otherwise I wouldn't have asked them. Go back and read the OP again and then read my questions again. Every one of your comments and statements is based on assumptions you have made that are not supported by the OP.

Have you ever been exposed to a "query" where you are presented with a hypothetical situation and you have to ask yes or no questions in order to figure out the situation? I have and I took this to be one. Your response proves the point of how easy it is to leap to wild conclusions that are not supported in any way by the information provided.

Very good points! I am not sure what it was that set off the "crock it" poster so badly, but the questions which you posed in your first post were valid, relevant and important. And, I must note, those questions have still not been answered by the OP!

"Did the fellow cacher replace the container in queston?" Ummm...highly unlikely. If said hypothetical cacher willingly destroyed a cache container for no reason, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the last thing this d****g would worry about is replacing the cache with another container.

Very good points! I am not sure what it was that set off the "crock it" poster so badly, but the questions which you posed in your first post were valid, relevant and important. And, I must note, those questions have still not been answered by the OP!

You know...I have to apologize to all of you, because I truthfully didn't think that there were any unanswered questions. Now, after seeing some of your comments, I can see where someone might be unsure of how to respond without knowing all of the details.

Please accept my apologies for flying off the handle so quickly.

I had been on the "don't do anything to anyone else's cache" boat until I actually looked up paleolith's log. He thoughtfully took a picture of his example and, well, I've changed my opinion. He didn't destroy it. Nature did. He just cleaned up and after reading the log and thinking about it....I think I'd do the same thing since I don't have extra caches in my cachebag yet. To do that I need a much larger bag!

In regards to the OP's hypothetical question I would verbally & loudly educate said "cacher" then drive them home and not take them with me again. I'd not hang around or speak to them as they would have shown their true colors and who would need that around?

[paleolith: "I destroyed a cache -- someone else's cache -- just two days ago. Well, at any rate, I picked it up and placed it in the nearest garbage can -- this required carrying it nearly a mile, which was somewhat difficult. I think my action was fully justified. And my action is not hidden; I won't describe the circumstances here since you can find my log very easily if you want."]

Please accept my apologies for flying off the handle so quickly.

Please watch what you type as well. Moderators don't like having to edit several posts when you are quoted. This is pretty much a G-Rated forum.

"I accept your apology."

I always love when someone answers a question with there are two many unanswered questions. No there isn't, sometimes we have to react to what content is given to us. So the answer is we act according to our behavior as a person in that situation.

If more is revealed then a better explanation can be given. - Must be channelling George Carlin again.

I can also answer the question with another question... What would Signal do??? :D

Edited by Headhardhat

It depends on if we are caching in town or out in the boonies.

In town...

I'd comment on how much fun vandalism can be and discuss the finer points on the way back to the cars. When we get to his/her car, I'd key it good and yell "Yippy!!".

In the boonies....

Recent studies have shown that geocachers know best where to hide the bodies......

can we have a link to paleolith's log, please?

I believe this is the log.

Well, in that hypothetical situation...

I'm not sure they threw away anything viable. If they threw away the contents (unless those too are broken) that's too much. The bits and pieces of the container? Not a problem. They salvaged the log and it looks like they would mail it if the cache owner wanted it.

Now the cut and paste disable log doesn't have a lot of commonality wiht the cache. It reports a lot of DNF's and disables the cache as a result. People were finding and logging the cache. That's my standard of measure for viable cache. Viable container is another thing.

Edited by Renegade Knight

The OP hasn't responded to this thread... was it a troll?

If not, were are there any hypothetical explanations for this person's action? Was it a film can and this person hates pictures? Did it violate some personal taboo, like maybe the cache was a poorly cleaned peanut butter jar? Was it a piece of geotrash that really did need to be picked up and disposed of? Was the person just ticked off at the cache owner?

Thanks for so many responses.

I have been found out that my hypothetical was not so hypothetical or was it?

Actually there are a least two such incidences. One of which I may have observed but from a small distance, but far enough to not allow time for intervention.

The other was perhaps observed by two close friends and a couple of other cachers. In this one, a cache was pitched into the woods so a cacher who was following the group would not be able to obtain the smiley. The cache was owned by another individual who had nothing to do with any of the parties involved! In other words, the cache owner did not even know ANY of the individuals.

The other incident to which I observed involved destroying a cache that belonged to a friend of the cacher who was following the group in the first example. I was in absolute disbelief and simply put the incident out of my mind or attributed to the 'heat of the day' or I really didn't observe what I had observed. Get the picture? I just didn't want to believe it!

All of this terrible behavior stemmed from the hatred towards one cacher. for many reason that I will not go into. The best way to explain the behavior is one word...obsession. Obsession with the cacher who originally offended them.

I have between a Masters and a PhD in psychology and please believe me that none of you can absolutely be right in picking friends. Human behavior is too complex for perfect prediction. I will go a step further by quoting something we see on the news almost every night..."geez, he/she seemed so friendly and nice and was a really good neighbor.....I cannot believe he/she is a serial killer! Or, "yes, I married him but I had no idea he was that way!" Get my point? If we were perfect in predicting all behavior we would all be billionaires!

After these two incidents and some other behavior that was not so grievous but none-the-less bad, I severed all relationships with the person(s). No offense intended but dear friends, this little story is an example of not only disregarding the "Golden Rule" but doing it to your neighbor before they can do it to you!

This thing called "Geocaching" is nothing more than a game. A fun game but a game none-the-less but I am afraid some take the game and themselves much, much too seriously. Any more comments are welcomed but please don't take shots at each other. Like someone once said, opinions are like --- -----, everyone has one! So express the opinion freely but remember the rest of us has one too. Thanks.

Thanks for so many responses.

I have been found out that my hypothetical was not so hypothetical or was it?

Actually there are a least two such incidences. One of which I may have observed but from a small distance, but far enough to not allow time for intervention.

The other was perhaps observed by two close friends and a couple of other cachers. In this one, a cache was pitched into the woods so a cacher who was following the group would not be able to obtain the smiley. The cache was owned by another individual who had nothing to do with any of the parties involved! In other words, the cache owner did not even know ANY of the individuals.

The other incident to which I observed involved destroying a cache that belonged to a friend of the cacher who was following the group in the first example. I was in absolute disbelief and simply put the incident out of my mind or attributed to the 'heat of the day' or I really didn't observe what I had observed. Get the picture? I just didn't want to believe it!

All of this terrible behavior stemmed from the hatred towards one cacher. for many reason that I will not go into. The best way to explain the behavior is one word...obsession. Obsession with the cacher who originally offended them.

I have between a Masters and a PhD in psychology and please believe me that none of you can absolutely be right in picking friends. Human behavior is too complex for perfect prediction. I will go a step further by quoting something we see on the news almost every night..."geez, he/she seemed so friendly and nice and was a really good neighbor.....I cannot believe he/she is a serial killer! Or, "yes, I married him but I had no idea he was that way!" Get my point? If we were perfect in predicting all behavior we would all be billionaires!

After these two incidents and some other behavior that was not so grievous but none-the-less bad, I severed all relationships with the person(s). No offense intended but dear friends, this little story is an example of not only disregarding the "Golden Rule" but doing it to your neighbor before they can do it to you!

This thing called "Geocaching" is nothing more than a game. A fun game but a game none-the-less but I am afraid some take the game and themselves much, much too seriously. Any more comments are welcomed but please don't take shots at each other. Like someone once said, opinions are like --- -----, everyone has one! So express the opinion freely but remember the rest of us has one too. Thanks.

You DO realize that folks are gonna dig and dig until they find out who they are and THEN:

promo-angry-mob.jpg

mob-angry.gifmob-angry.gifmob-angry.gif

mob-angry.gifmob-angry.gifmob-angry.gif

the-angry-mob.pngthe-angry-mob.png

Snoogans,

You are so right but there has been enough retaliation as it is. You wouldn't believe the scorn that these people display.

We have a local group in which the above mentioned offenders often spout the virtues of following the rules. Little do most folks know what they are really like.

If it was just me who observed their behavior that would be one thing but there are several others who have independently seen the same thing. The part I cannot believe is that even though several others have witnessed the poor behavior, they insist on keep caching with them. Maybe I am wrong but I believe if you know what these cachers have done and you still hang out with them, then you are condoning their behavior. Be gentle folks but I am sincerely interested in your feeling on this. Thanks again.

P.S. Did I mention that I happened to have my camera with me that day and I snapped a pic as the one caches was being watered down (destroyed)? What would you do with the pic?

Between this thread and your other one, I was just wondering if perhaps they added something bad to the drinking water in TN.

In your "hypothetical", I sure hope it was a micro.

hehe, I'd buy them a beer. :angry:

Joking of course. It wouldn't happen, since I'm pretty bullheaded, so we'd be there until the cache was back in place as it was. Kind of like if someone I was with tried to litter or something. I'd definitely call them on it, find out wtf they were thinking, and either convince them to fix it, or just fix it myself.

I'm the kind of person who's even annoyed at the "cachers" who don't bother to cover a container after their find, so someone intenionally wrecking or destroying a container just wouldn't be acceptable on any level for me.

I like to think that I would have the presence of mind to confront them o the spot, calmly, without anger but with plenty of words which would convince them of the error of their ways.

I've been around long enough to know that things often happen faster than I can respond, that I'm often more angry than calm on the spot, that the persuasive words come more easily later when I've had a bath and I'm sitting and writing.

But in most cases I would confront them, even if later and just by posting a NM log saying that I saw abcxyz throw the cache down the cliff (or whatever). Or by posting the photo.

But again I've been around long enough to realize that things aren't always that simple and that sometimes confrontation makes matters worse. Also I have a pretty thick skin, so retaliation short of physical violence or harm to others or to property would mostly amuse me. Many don't have such a thick skin.

I do think that allowing the practice to continue, with no one blowing the whistle, will just result in more of it.

Edward

I find it amazing that anybody would be so childish, or get so wrapped up in this. It's fun, and I'm having a blast doing this (only six found so far, but plenty of sight-seeing to go with them!), but I'd never get so emotionally wrapped up in it that I'd want to destroy somebody's cache.

In addition, I view the caches that I find as someone else's property, and I treat them as I would treat something that they loaned to me...with care and respect. Isn't that a simple common courtesy? :D

Snoogans,

You are so right but there has been enough retaliation as it is. You wouldn't believe the scorn that these people display.

We have a local group in which the above mentioned offenders often spout the virtues of following the rules. Little do most folks know what they are really like.

If it was just me who observed their behavior that would be one thing but there are several others who have independently seen the same thing. The part I cannot believe is that even though several others have witnessed the poor behavior, they insist on keep caching with them. Maybe I am wrong but I believe if you know what these cachers have done and you still hang out with them, then you are condoning their behavior. Be gentle folks but I am sincerely interested in your feeling on this. Thanks again.

P.S. Did I mention that I happened to have my camera with me that day and I snapped a pic as the one caches was being watered down (destroyed)? What would you do with the pic?

They may have been testing you. Since you did not respond by kicking thier @**, you obviously failed the test. If there is a next time, you should know what to do now. :D

If I read the insinuation right you have a picture of a cacher peeing on a cache? Oh yeah, I would publish it, with full ID, all over the internet!

Maybe a bit of public humiliation will do the boy some good.

If I read the insinuation right you have a picture of a cacher peeing on a cache? Oh yeah, I would publish it, with full ID, all over the internet!

Well folks allow me to tell you the most recent chapter in this story. We have a local group, which I was one of the three founding members and we have a forum. When I went onto the forum this morning, I found out that I was banned for "misuse of PMs (Private Messages). After reading all of your responses, I sent a PM to the cacher that I saw destroy the cache. In the message, I requested that the bad behavior stop and explained my reasons for rejecting their friendship. I went further to say that if the behavior didn't stop, I would publish the photo showing the cache destruction.

The only problem is the two admins on the board are very close to the vandal cacher. One admin is a relative and the other is a constant caching buddy. So much for the Private nature of Private Messages!

... So much for the Private nature of Private Messages!

NOTHING you post on the Internet is private! Board owners frequently read PMs. Everything posted online can be read by anyone who wants to badly enough.

As to the cacher in question having buddies, post the pic, if they still stand by him they will be tarred with the same brush.

Much like publishing the info on sex offenders in a neighborhood, sometimes it's good to know who lives among us!

If it were me, I doubt I would want to escalate things by posting the picture anywhere on the Internet. I would either confront the person directly (and diplomatically) with my concerns, or simply walk away from the relationship. (Definitely hang on to the photo, though.)

A good person who demonstrates poor judgment once or twice can be forgiven. If it has become obvious your 'friend' has a chronic character problem, however, then you must now decide which is more important to you: your friendship or your principles.

It’s not an easy choice, and I don’t envy you, but keep in mind it is your 'friend' who has forced you into this dilemma, not you. If what you’ve reported here is accurate, then it’s not your fault you’ve been forced to make the choice.

Well folks allow me to tell you the most recent chapter in this story. We have a local group, which I was one of the three founding members and we have a forum. When I went onto the forum this morning, I found out that I was banned for "misuse of PMs (Private Messages). After reading all of your responses, I sent a PM to the cacher that I saw destroy the cache. In the message, I requested that the bad behavior stop and explained my reasons for rejecting their friendship. I went further to say that if the behavior didn't stop, I would publish the photo showing the cache destruction.

The only problem is the two admins on the board are very close to the vandal cacher. One admin is a relative and the other is a constant caching buddy. So much for the Private nature of Private Messages!

Honest to goodness I thought I was reading about a bunch of teenagers with all of this and these people are retirement age?

Maybe they should go back and read their own website mission statement:

"The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others."

This the same group Konnarock?

Edited by Headhardhat