How to pick a coin designer

pghlooking

Let me start by saying that I want to keep this as a general thread as much as possible. At the very least keep it within the guidelines.

We all know you can come here and find a person to design a coin for you, but what we lack is a way to get honest feedback as to how these people are to work with. It seems anytime a thread is started about something negative, it gets shut down. While we would all like to think everyone here is 100% positive, that's just not the reality of life. This community is made up of people from all walks of life, and even we can have a few bad apples. It is like a cache. The good and bad feedback will both help paint an honest picture of the cache, while only the positive will never give you a true sense of what you are getting into.

So the question is...Has it come time to get a rating system, or at the very least, an honest feedback system like the caches use to know more about designers? Sure someone may design a nice coin, but have they been known to stiff people out of their money? Have they taken an excessive amount of time to deliver what was promised? Have they taken your ideas and created a coin of their own afterwards without your knowledge or permission? Things like this go very far when you are putting your money in someones pocket for a job to be done. When it comes to things like this, the negatives can far out weigh a few super duper design.

If we can't discuss them in the forums without it being considered a personal attack, then do we need a new avenue to do this? I personally believe the moment you stopped being a community member and began being a buisness you lose the protection of the forums from accussations that are suported by facts, and the community has a right, no a need to know. It is no different than the "feedback" given to Garmin and Magellan in the other forums. People have a right to complain about the service they receive when dealing with these companies, so why not here?

I am interested in this since I am looking at several coins to be designed in the very short future, and am not sure who I will be using. Since I have worked with only 2 artists in the past, I would like to informed before I choose someone to give my money to.

So what are your thoughts? Has it come time to have a place to go to get honest information about the people we are dealing with?

Good topic of conversation. As with any service I would think that you should only have to pay once you receive the product. i.e. you would only pay for the coin design once you are satisfied with it. Or you only give a small deposit to retain the person's services and pay the balance upon completion. I think that makes sense.

A rating system might be a good idea. But sometimes, as in life, it is not the work but just 2 personalities (the customer and the designer) that don't mesh well together.

As someone who has been ripped off by a very well know coin designer, I think a rating system would be great.

:) Oh no - that's awful ;)

I also think a rating system would be an excellent way to go. Kind of like ebay, divided into sections eg price, time taken for artwork, standard of the coin, etc

I absolutely agree. I think the good, the bad, and the ugly should be allowed to be discussed as long as it is done in a civil manner.

I also agree that once people turn things into a business that you lose the "personal protection" clause, and while people should not be nasty, feedback good or bad should be allowed.

If I see one or two complaints about someone I take it with a grain of salt, figure it was a miscommunication or whatever and don't worry about it. A negative review here or there is not going to destroy someone's business. On the other hand if there is a common link and a ton of issues with a certain vendor/business, this is a red flag. How are we supposed to know this if we can't be allowed to discuss it in a um, what's it called? FORUM..... Isn't that what forums are for? To discuss things? Oh wait, no, they're for cointests, I forgot.

Sure, it would require monitoring and some maturity on the part of the people posting, but hey, maybe we can actually rise to the occasion and be grown ups. And maybe, a little more feedback would let vendors know when there is a problem and allow them to address the situation and work it out. Granted some people are impossible to work with and it's not always the vendors fault, but that generally becomes obvious pretty quickly if that is the case.

I vote for an open forum (not that that's worth much).

Sure, it would require monitoring and some maturity on the part of the people posting, but hey, maybe we can actually rise to the occasion and be grown ups.

Usually the thread gets locked for going OT or for it starting to be too personal. I would rather see the offending party get a time out instead of ruining the feedback for the general community. I know of at least one person who uses the OT as a way to get the threads he doesn't agree with locked.

Ask for a client list of previous work, and contact the previous folks.

Now do you think they would give you the names of the people they stiffed or took over a year to design a coin for? :)

If they're silly enough to defraud people over and over that are part of a tight knit community, then they just might be ;)

I think Atlanta Gal has the right idea - my designer required payment first, and its been almost a year with no results. I've since used another designer who was paid when the design was finished and the experience was awesome!

This is the exact reason we need something to rely on for feedback. Most people are too timid, or not forceful enough to broadcast who took their money and ran with it.

Most people here are 100% on the up and up, but it only takes one or two to do alot of damage. Since we mostly rely on emails and such for exchanges, we don't know the person on the other end as much as we thing we do. Heck for the most part most of us wouldn't recognize the people from the forums anymore than the people at the grocery store. A little protection would be nice.

I don't post alot in these forums, I try to stay neutral on many topics but this one hits very close to home for me. I think some kindof system where people could rate their experience with coin artists would be wonderful. I am always looking for new people to help with my artwork and I think a system like this would expose me to more potential artists or people who know how to use graphic type software, which is fantastic! I also think it would protect people from possibly being ripped off by immoral people.

I've had a number of people write me to ask my experience with coin artists I've used along with mints too. I have always been more than willing to share my input in hopes that it will help that person have a positive experience when making their geocoin. I have had very rewarding experiences with one of the artists I use alot and I had a negative experience with another artist that I no longer use.

I know the frustrations first hand of working with someone who continually promises you the artwork you've paid for but always falls short of delivering. I also know how frustrating it is to see your friends & fellow geocoiners go through similar experiences with the same person only to realize they will never receive their artwork or the money they paid up front for their design. I honestly feel it would be extremely positive if there was a system in place where we could share our experiences with coin artists without people-bashing and drama involved.

That's just my 2 cents.

Now do you think they would give you the names of the people they stiffed or took over a year to design a coin for? :)

If they're silly enough to defraud people over and over that are part of a tight knit community, then they just might be ;)

True, but this community changes often, though not as much as it seems to have changed in the last few months. Many faces who were here as recent as a few weeks ago are gone now. New people come in every day. They don't know any of us. They don't know who to trust. They don't know the history of someone's actions like we do whether they are good, bad or indifferent. They see an artist's name, they see a coin they like and their initial enthusiasm for coin making goes into overdrive. They don't think but get carried away by the shiny.

So they need some form of protection from those who are unethical in their business dealings. I too think we should be allowed to discuss those who don't deliver as promised. If this really is our community then we need to protect all who come to reside here, even if it is only for a brief period.

In my experience, you can tell somebody your experience, but sometimes they just won't hear you.

In my experience, you can tell somebody your experience, but sometimes they just won't hear you.

That's true. And we already have folks in here who are reporting their bad experiences and there probably are more. If that doesn't scream a need for a rating system what does?

From Groundspeak's perspective, if enough people get burned by coin businesses/artists, where does that leave coin making? It only takes one bad apple to ruin a good thing.

...So what are your thoughts? Has it come time to have a place to go to get honest information about the people we are dealing with?

i think you expressed yourself in a very articulate way. the sad thing is what happens to people like bluemotmot who lost money, or to the other person who had their thread closed?

is there no recourse? and traders who have your coins but can never seem to get theirs in the mail to you. where do you go for help?

there should be something more than a ratings system to find out info. and if you don't know who is getting coins designed, how do you know their experience, especially with more new folks every day.

i didn't say this as well as pghlooking did, but i hope my thoughts came across.

finally after a few months i don't feel like such a newbie!

rsg

Interesting topic and I'm glad to see something like this come up in the forums.

I've had to listen to a number of my friends come to me and ask for help because the person they had paid, hasn't done their design or made the changes they needed. They had been waiting months and up to a year, sent emails, pm's and nothign seemed to work. It's really sad to see the people who are supporting this commercial eneavor get screwed over. as a matter of fact it really P****S me off because it affects all of us indirectly.

My question is how do people protect themselves? Seems like this wasn't an issue in the early days but now the stories are starting to see the light of day. You can't use these forums to "bash" anyone and I can understand that but something needs to be done, I'm just not sure what.

I don't think a rating system is going to happen but I think that might be a good idea. It doesn't even need to be much: maybe rated for a time factor and artwork received. We really don't need to know much more than the bare, important facts. If a designer doesn't deliver the art work on more than 2 ocassions, then they are not allowed to vendor or be on a coin designer list. I'm just throwing ideas out there for arguement sake.

This really does affect Groundspeak too because it boils down to a loss of revenue for them. If I get screwed over by a designer and I've paid my money and I don't get what I paid for; I'm probably going to walk away from the coin project altogether and quite possibly from buying coins anymore. Of course there is a trickle-down effect to this and it can factor in to the "big picture."

I've worked with 1 designer about 2 times and I really liked the way he did things. I didn't have to pay upfront and he sent me the artwork within a reasonable time frame, made the changes quite quickly and sent me a "watermarked" image. I approved it, I then paid and he sent me the mint artwork. I wouldn't even minded paying him $25 as a down payment for his time because I know this can be a time-cosuming process.

I have a bunch of thougths on all of this but I'm going to shorten this up, lol. Here are some tips I think a person could do when choosing a designer.

1. Shop around and get opinions from others who have had their coins designed by others. Tell them to be honest. Ask more than 2 people! This is YOUR coin and you better be business savvy about it.

2. Talk to the coin designers themselves. Not only that but ask them who they would recommend doing your artwork. Let them know you are shopping around and if a designer won't suggest anyone else but themself, I'd steer clear.

3. Talk to the vendors of coins, they work with designers. They can tell you who is dependable and who isn't.

4. Talk to some of the people who are prevalent on the board, who you respect or who you think has a unbias opinion and have them point you in the right direction or get their opinions. Don't pick someone based soley on the coin designs they put out. It's tempting but it's burned quite a few people lately.

5. If you decide to work with a designer, make it a part of your contract (verbal/written) that you only pay a certain percentage upfront and the rest later. The more complicated your design might even require a bit more as a down payment. This can all be discussed with your designer. If you have to pay upfront and you don't try to protect yourself by bargaining somewhat, then you can only look in the mirror when things go up in smoke.

6. Just because you've worked with someone once or more than once, each time is a seperate business transaction. Handle it the same each time. It's your money and your investment.

7. Please take your time and do your research, don't be in a big rush (I know it gets exciting). I can say that 99% of the designers I know of do a wonderful job and you'll never have a problem.

I hope wherever this problem lies: Groundspeak will step up to the plate and issue a stern warning or like pghlooking said, give the person a "time out". It's not fair to the rest of us.

I agree that there needs to be a rating system in place. As with many other things, certain people find their way into a community to take advantage of the community. Why are we too timid to protect ourselves? Why does the designer have more value when the customer is spending the most to get their final coin to production? It is unfortunate that there are unscurpulous designers who hide behind the Geocaching curtain, only to obtain monetary gratification -- all in the name of Geocaching. These people need to be weeded out!

I ask the geocaching community to please consider a rating system. I promoted one designer whole heartedly at GW6 because he is reliable and well work on the design till it is completed. I told over 100 people about this person and if 10 people wrote him to do a design, then I am happy, he well deserves the business.

If I love a designer, or a coin maker, which there are a few, I will whole heartedly promote them and their coins because they so deserve the business. I will purchase every coin they make and promote them among my fellow collectors.

I think a rating system is important and shoudl be wholeheartedly considered.

I hope wherever this problem lies: Groundspeak will step up to the plate and issue a stern warning or like pghlooking said, give the person a "time out". It's not fair to the rest of us.

i agree with everything you said except for the last bit. i don't think a "time out" is adequate for any designer ripping folks off. time outs are for children who are still learning how to be people.

i think there should be a firm policy that says if you take people's money and do not deliver within the contracted time, you are out. period. do not pass go, do not collect a get out of jail card.

and if the money is not returned, well, it is a hassle, but there is always small claim court, which can be quite spendy if a person follows through and puts a lien on someone's property who has lost their suit. it may sound harsh, but these are tough economic times and people don't have the money to waste on dishonest, crooked designers. there is no excuse.

lara/rsg

i agree with everything you said except for the last bit. i don't think a "time out" is adequate for any designer ripping folks off. time outs are for children who are still learning how to be people.

i think there should be a firm policy that says if you take people's money and do not deliver within the contracted time, you are out. period. do not pass go, do not collect a get out of jail card.

and if the money is not returned, well, it is a hassle, but there is always small claim court, which can be quite spendy if a person follows through and puts a lien on someone's property who has lost their suit. it may sound harsh, but these are tough economic times and people don't have the money to waste on dishonest, crooked designers. there is no excuse.

lara/rsg

LOL.... a time out can be longer than a 5 minutes :) I think you are being maybe a little short-sighted about what a time out could accomplish, especially if it were a time lengthy one. Time does take care of some problems :D I do agree with there is no excuse to be ripping off people's money, so don't misunderstand me there.

Small claims court isn't even a realistic option here. Even if you lived in the same state, it would cost you more to go to court than it would be worth.

There is always handling things "Old West" style ;)

Let me be clear the time out I referred to was people posting off topic to get a thread closed instead of allowing the truth to be spoken. I feel those people should get the time out and not the thread getting closed.

I don't think a time out would work for designers who rip people off. I also don't think it would be fair to have GC police them in this manner. The time outs in the forums are for crimes committed here, not as a punishement for something that happens outside of here, even if initial contact was made through here.

To Georeynozos - If you paid for your artwork via Paypal on June 7th, then you still have a little over 2 weeks to file a claim through PayPal. And I very strongly suggest you do that too.

This whole scenerio wreeks of something that happened in these forums several years ago where a lot of people got taken for a lot of money. Don't let it happen to YOU.

Certainly there are problems in the coin design area, just like any business. I had hoped for a new coin in time for GW6, and certainly there was plenty of time, but the design never materialized. Then I hoped for something for this summer, but even if I had a design in hand now, there wouldn't be enough time to do it right.

It seems unlikely that most coiners, including myself, will specifically speak negatively about another in a public forum, particularly one that seems to be well liked and talented. However, we should be honestly talking amongst ourselves. Not passing on rumors, but facts and personal opinions based on our own experiences and those close to us. Certainly start with what you like, but then dig a little deeper and find out what you can from others that have used that designer in a similar capacity to what you hopefully will be.

As for me, I've recently 'fired' (for want of a better word) the designer I had hoped to work with, and turned elsewhere for what I'm looking for. Sadly, there has been no response from that designer (which also reflects badly business-wise), although I will keep trying, as I will also keep trying for a refund 'cause I'd hate to think my money was stolen. But then, I should have checked even closer. ;)

To Georeynozos - If you paid for your artwork via Paypal on June 7th, then you still have a little over 2 weeks to file a claim through PayPal. And I very strongly suggest you do that too.

This whole scenerio wreeks of something that happened in these forums several years ago where a lot of people got taken for a lot of money. Don't let it happen to YOU.

I believe she paid June 7, 2007. Which is last year.

It may be too late as her payment was in 2007, well over a year ago. Mine was in December, still too late. However, complaining to PayPal may work at least to raise a flag of concern on their end.

The one case I am aware of is also with a designer mentioned in another thread recently. In this case my friend had waited for almost a year and met face to face with the designer and was put off again indefinitely. My friend has just given up on ever seeing a design or getting his money back and is no longer that interested in doing a coin at all. In this case I think it might just be a matter of someone young and inexperienced trying to make a business out of a hobby and not being very committed to the basics of running a good business enterprise, like doing what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it and satisfying customers or else giving them their money back or realizing your reputation is your most valuable asset. There is a reason that the majority of small businesses go bust and these performance failures top the list. It is too bad too because everyone involved are really nice people, they just should not be trying to make a business out of it if they don't understand the basics of running a successful business.

I dont know if anyone would ever be 100% happy with any business 100% of the time. All designers, stores, minters etc have their triumphs and mistakes.

But the artist who made my Boomerang - well all I can say is that I love my coin, and couldn't have been happier with the process. It may have taken a little while longer, but that was because I didn't specify exactly what I wanted, and they had some 'life' stuff which got in the way.

Now if it had been a company made up of a large staff who could absorb sick days and bereavement leave and the like, then I wouldn't be as forgiving, but when it is one or two people who work from home with other responsibilities, then I cut them some slack.

If a strongly worded email such as "I would like my design by this date, and if that is not possible I would like my money refunded immediately" doesn't work, then there are problems.

Groundspeak is an appropriate place to handle a feedback system and they should implement one. I am glad that you started this thread PGH. I have been fortunate to always work with reliable coin designers and vendors but I have heard the tales of the ones who are not honest.

The fact that GS has an approved vendors list makes them accountable for those lists. If I hired a Groundspeak approved designer and they never delivered the product, I would think the forums would be the place for me to bring my situation after attempting to work it out in numerous private ways. So yes the forums should be the last resort of problems with vendors or designers.

Small claims court isn't even a realistic option here. Even if you lived in the same state, it would cost you more to go to court than it would be worth.

There is always handling things "Old West" style ;)

small claims court can be very effective even out of state because part of the settlement is the losing party pays for court costs if that is stated up front. so you sue for your money back plus court costs. i think the threat of a suit and being deleted from groundspeaks' designer/coin minters approved list would be enough to force the designer to refund money.

since this seems to have happened to more than one person, i am curious as to how people look themselves in the mirror in the morning.

if i sound angry i am. i consider valerie a friend and i don't like to see my friends ripped off! nor anyone here for that matter.

time to pack up coins for trading.

lara

As a solution Maybe a Goggle document On designers could be opened Where comments Positive and negative could be made .All it would take to make a comment would to be invited like the address list It would be open so all could read it and uncensored by Groundspeak . But as all things on the internet buyer beware with what it contains. Just a thought.

Edited by geocachingdragon

I believe she paid June 7, 2007. Which is last year.

Oh Jeez, last year??? Nevermind then.

;) WHY should Groundspeak have to even be involved with this issue? Just because geocoins are in existence due to geocaching, doesn't make Groundspeak liable for every good bad or otherwise transaction dealing with geocoins, travel bugs, GPSrs, Trekking poles or whatever else is related to the sport, sold by independent vendors, conceived by artists, born of the various mints or divvied up amongst cachers. Just because people deem this a necessity doesn't make it the gospel. If GS decides to bear that cross, that's up to them... Not anyone in the forums. I totally agree that some vendors have taken advantage of the general population, and that is wrong, no matter how you look at it. That's why theres an approved list by Groundspeak. I know several people that have had good experiences and bad.. but point blank.. it's ultimately YOU as a consumer's responsibility to do the research as to what artist to use, what mint to use, and what vendor, etc.... Use good informed judgement, ASK people that have done coins, compare prices, minting times etc.... Especially if this is your first coin adventure... Wading into the deep end right off the bat has bad news written all over it. Do the best you can and be as informed as you can be... Edited by 57chevy

I was kind of surprised when the other thread was shut down. If you were to look back at the forums over the last couple years, you would find various threads where at one time or another almost all of the larger coin makers have been called on the carpet (including Hogwild Stuff). Many times the complaints have been legitimate and if we vendors pay attention, we end up doing a better job running our businesses.

We have pretty much all weathered it, because along with the negative information people who have had positive experiences contribute to the story.

At first glance, talking about an artist seems more personal, but in reality they are also running a business that should be treated the same as the coin makers in allowing the free flow of information for and against. The vendor or artist has the right to defend or respond as well as others who have used vendors happy or not.

While at first this might seem brutal, I would argue this is really the most equitable way to address problems. It is much better than a single person having a vendetta against a vendor then starting a whispering campaign by phone and e-mail. When that happens there is not a free flow of information, just a single person (or small group) stirring up hatred and discord while the one being attacked has no venue to legitimately respond (some personal experience here). I would much rather have the issues aired in a public forum where both sides of the issue can be hashed out.

Ultimately good artists, coin makers . . . etc. will survive and thrive and bad one's won't, but allowing the free exchange of information here levels the playing field.

My Thoughts

I was kind of surprised when the other thread was shut down. If you were to look back at the forums over the last couple years, you would find various threads where at one time or another almost all of the larger coin makers have been called on the carpet (including Hogwild Stuff). Many times the complaints have been legitimate and if we vendors pay attention, we end up doing a better job running our businesses.

We have pretty much all weathered it, because along with the negative information people who have had positive experiences contribute to the story.

At first glance, talking about an artist seems more personal, but in reality they are also running a business that should be treated the same as the coin makers in allowing the free flow of information for and against. The vendor or artist has the right to defend or respond as well as others who have used vendors happy or not.

While at first this might seem brutal, I would argue this is really the most equitable way to address problems. It is much better than a single person having a vendetta against a vendor then starting a whispering campaign by phone and e-mail. When that happens there is not a free flow of information, just a single person (or small group) stirring up hatred and discord while the one being attacked has no venue to legitimately respond (some personal experience here). I would much rather have the issues aired in a public forum where both sides of the issue can be hashed out.

Ultimately good artists, coin makers . . . etc. will survive and thrive and bad one's won't, but allowing the free exchange of information here levels the playing field.

My Thoughts

i like this even better than the "old West" way that tsun suggested. :D

calm rational minds prevail over hotheads!

lara

You know some of the coin designers are also coin minters so paying someone up front for artwork and being stiffed is bad but even with that you are out maybe $100.

What if you paid them for your coin dies, payed 50% up front for the minting, or paid up front for the icon and tracking and never received any coins? People could be out hundreds of dollars. This is something that could happen and a feedback system could prevent that.

Especially if this is your first coin adventure... Wading into the deep end right off the bat has bad news written all over it. Do the best you can and be as informed as you can be...

Judging by what's in this thread, these are not the first coin adventures for many of us. The first time, I didn't hire a designer, but things generally turned out better. Using what I learned from my first experience (don't be in a big hurry) should have made this one better. This time, my mistake was not asking other customers about this particular design service. Having done business with this person before without problem seems to me to be a reasonable recommendation. The problem is that the related design services don't live up to the standard already set.

Maybe an off-site optionally anonymous review site would be in order.

:D WHY should Groundspeak have to even be involved with this issue?

*snip*

.....theres and approved list by Groundspeak.

You pretty much answered your own question here.

The fact that Groundspeak has an approved list for vendors, shows that they're at least slightly discerning with whom they do business with. If a business on this list goes AWOL...or defrauds a client, it stands to reflect poorly upon Groundspeak for "approving" them. Remember, those clients are also Groundspeak's clients, and they look to that list as a way to gage trust.

If Groundspeak is selling tracking codes to a designer/vendor/business who has been found to be repeatedly failing to provide a service as represented, then it would be in Groundspeak's best interest to re-evaluate the "approval" of said business.

ETA: Spelling.

Edited by YemonYime

HOLY SMOKES! Cant say there has been a more "Usefull thread" in all my time here! Now if it could all be put into action.

As said before, many great ideas may very well just get shot to hell after a long go around waiting for a design, especially when you already have the funds invested that are now gone!

Geocoin Design is as much a buisness as the companies that sell the coins! You wont just let a 10.00 coin go unreceived after purchasing it, now would you? Why should it be any different for a design you pay 100.00+ and the time/energy for?...well IT HAPPENS~Way more than we even know!

The frustration out weighs the money ten-fold and I know this FIRST HAND!!! Over a year after my payment and Id say over 40 emails (many unresponded too) and PMs of "I sent it", "Next week" "Where were we???", "Didnt you get it" "I sent it to the Minter" and "OH, My ferocious Spam filter" I was finally told "Have the CAD Artist fix it" (which I already tried) ~ I chose a different designer, design was done in 2 days and finalized within a weeks time with payment due AFTER design was finished!!! (He followed my every word and suggestion!!! :lol: ) ...That is really just a snippet of what I went through! :D

I wouldnt wish this upon anyone that is Giddy as a school girl about their NEW Cool design, that they are so anxious to get done...It really takes all the sunshine away! :D - Trust me!

Kay, now what to do!!! Best thing Id say is

1. ASK AROUND!!! Not just one person, but many! Untill there is a rating system this is all we got!

2. Pick the coins you really like the design of and find out who designed it!...Then get feedback from others asking about this designer. (2nd Part especially!) May help to choose great designs related with your idea.

3. If its not done efficiently...MOVE ON! There should be progress being made and if a designer is swamped, then they should be responsible enough to give you an extended timeframe or not accept the project!...everyone respects honesty!

3b (side note). Patience is a virtue and these designers know this, while it may take time to work out the finalized details, there really should be progress or communication as to why there is not. Try to take into coinsideration all aspects i.e.~Multi-person coins are gonna take longer as everyone has an input, so there will always be setbacks, changes, etc...a Good designer should be able to work through probs such as these. So think of what you are putting the designer through before aborting the project. The more prepared you are for the designer the faster and better the result will be.

I also don't understand why threads of people complaining about artists get closed down right away. Whenever coin sellers don't come up with the goods after taking our money, we can always talk about that freely (like with the Babushka coin last year). What's so different about designers?

As a solution Maybe a Goggle document On designers could be opened Where comments Positive and negative could be made .All it would take to make a comment would to be invited like the address list It would be open so all could read it and uncensored by Groundspeak . But as all things on the internet buyer beware with what it contains. Just a thought.

I kinda like the idea, but it is basically flawed since anyone invited to comment also has the ability to fully edit anything that has been written before, even though it is possible to see the editing history, I don't think it would be long before folk gave up on trying to make their views visible for all to see. I believe a forum is the place to do it, if not this one then maybe we should create one, there are free forum hosting sites - and there is as much (little) advertising on them as this one. I realise that it would be yet another site to visit and we like (most of us) everything in one place, but for those of us considering minting a coin it would be valuable to have access to information that simply isn't allowed in these forums.

just my two pennies FWIW

Just remember, from the geocoin guidelines:

# Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale or trading of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller.

# Individual negotiations or information exchanges should take place through private e-mail or telephone correspondence, not on this board. Please use the communication tools provided on the site or private email.

I believe a forum is the place to do it, if not this one then maybe we should create one, there are free forum hosting sites - and there is as much (little) advertising on them as this one. I realise that it would be yet another site to visit and we like (most of us) everything in one place, but for those of us considering minting a coin it would be valuable to have access to information that simply isn't allowed in these forums.

just my two pennies FWIW

This seems like a simple solution.

Just remember, from the geocoin guidelines:

# Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale or trading of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller.

# Individual negotiations or information exchanges should take place through private e-mail or telephone correspondence, not on this board. Please use the communication tools provided on the site or private email.

I do not beleive that collectors will hold Groundspeak liable or responsible for the actions of a fraudulant seller. But just as you have closed down my thread, which was a responsible action in your mind, you should be alerted that there is fraud and close down the communications of the fraudulant seller. If it is not your responsibility to shut down a fraudulant sellers thread, then it is not your responsibilty to shut down my thread because obviously, Groundspeak is not liable.

It is unfortunate the the messenger was killed in the delivering of the previous message, while the seller of said fradulant services is free to continue fradulant schemes on Groundspeak.

You held up your end as far as the buyer was concerned and closed down the thread, stayed true to Groundspeak rules, but what will happen when the seller comes out with "another great coin, err sheme). Will this person be free to promote another scheme while the previous thread works its way out of sight of unsuspecting buyers.

This forum is based on sharing information. Just as Groundspeak is not liable for deals between coin buyers, minters or designers, they are also not liable for free flowing thought and should not make themselves executioner because the previous email just so happened to fit into the mold of said guidline.

Edited by georeynozos

I believe a forum is the place to do it, if not this one then maybe we should create one, there are free forum hosting sites - and there is as much (little) advertising on them as this one. I realise that it would be yet another site to visit and we like (most of us) everything in one place, but for those of us considering minting a coin it would be valuable to have access to information that simply isn't allowed in these forums.

just my two pennies FWIW

This seems like a simple solution.

the simple solution would be for Groundspeak to allow the free flow of information in this forum that is already in place.

do people on the list of minters, designers, etc, pay for the privilege of being on that list?

from reading all the responses here, it seems that this is a discussion that is long overdue.

rsg

rsg