Garmin Colorado 2.54 Beta Firmware release

Can you delete geocaches off the Colorado yet without having to connect it to the computer?

In the strict sense, no. What I do though is I keep multiple GPX files on my SD card, just not in the /Garmin/GPX directory. When I'm out in the field, and I want to change my list of caches, I turn the GPSr off, pull the SD card out and use my PDA to move GPX files around, then replace the SD card in the GPSr and restart it. It's a "poor man's" way to have more than 2000 geocaches in my GPSr (they're just not all active at the same time, kinda like using a Magellan eXplorist ;) )

The unit will shut down if auto-routing is running if you remove the 12 volt plugin. I switch to off road and it would prompt me with the turn off or stay on option if unplugged.

A number of people have reported this issue pre-2.54. It is an intermittent problem, I've seen it a few times myself but some people seem to see it more than others. It could be that 2.54 is making it more sensitive, similar to the issue with the unit not working with an SD card. I've heard reports of this before 2.54 but they seem to be more common with 2.54.

GO$Rs

For quite a while, my Colorado has refused to connect to one of my computers. It has locked up when the computer icon shows up on the display. I've been using 2.51b.

Now, when it was time to install this update, it didn't connect to my other computer either. Removing cards, tracks, waypoints and routes didn't make any difference.

I did get it going by keeping the power button pressed until it connected, though. Any of you having connection problems, have you tried that?

Now I need to see if the speed part works (these were just proximity alarms).

Another user on the wiki forums has reported the crash during the archive to current.gpx that happens when you plug into your computer. Not sure why some people see it and others don't but it seems to be an issue.

GO$Rs

Sorry if this isn't completely 2.54 related but could you explain how to get speed alarms to work? Or is that a UK unique feature?

Thanks

C

I'm not a real POI expert but I would start with this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=140808

You'll also need Garmin's POI loader, there are links to this tool on the home page of the wiki linked in my signature if you can't find it. The help file for the POI loader explains how to make custom POIs using Mapsource and how to set proximity alarms and speed alerts. It took me a little playing around but I got the proximity feature to work -- I haven't had the time to play with the speed alerts but storm has them working, there's nothing special about a UK Colorado so it should just work on any Colorado.

GO$Rs

Perhaps this last item means they've actually fixed the clock where it keeps the right time for a change! ;)

The stopwatch and various timers still run fast in 2.54. I just ran the stopwatch for 30 minutes and compared it to my 60csx -- the CO is ahead about 12-13 seconds, similar to what I had seen in previous releases.

GO$Rs

Has any of you had problem when connecting GPS to PC with a SD card in the unit.

It seems to be a bug that makes the unit shut down when using USB and a SD Card installed.

Remove the card and all works ok.

When GPS is upp and running in USB mode you can insert the card without shutdown.

This was no problem with 2.51B and did come with 2.54B

For me it's even worse! After I successfully installed the 2.54 beta, I try now to connect to the computer which fail either with or without the SD card in my Colorado 300. When I connect via the USB interface transmits the track log (normally) and then closes Colorado by itself (fade out). The same thing happens whether I connect to the USB with the unit initially switched on or off or use the switch to turn it on after the unit shut down and virtually all other combination. Very annoying!

This means that I can not transfer or download data from the device, or even switch back to 2.51. What can I do?

Bengt

Has any of you had problem when connecting GPS to PC with a SD card in the unit.

It seems to be a bug that makes the unit shut down when using USB and a SD Card installed.

When GPS is upp and running in USB mode you can insert the card without shutdown.

For me it's even worse! After I successfully installed the 2.54 beta, I try now to connect to the computer which fail either with or without the SD card in my Colorado 300. When I connect via the USB interface transmits the track log (normally) and then closes Colorado by itself (fade out). The same thing happens whether I connect to the USB with the unit initially switched on or off or use the switch to turn it on after the unit shut down and virtually all other combination. Very annoying!

This means that I can not transfer or download data from the device, or even switch back to 2.51. What can I do?

Bengt

Over on the wiki forums a user has determined that the colorado unit might hang if it doesn't have a satellite lock when you connect it to a pc.

Bengt

Over on the wiki forums a user has determined that the colorado unit might hang if it doesn't have a satellite lock when you connect it to a pc.

You have to wait 15 seconds after sharecroppers question "mass estorage" Yes / No.

Try my work for me.

Forgive my English

Read back up this thread. People with this problem seem to have better luck if they allow the unit to acquire satellites before connecting it.

Thanks for clarifying that. I’ve been wondering all day how you lock a Colorado. No one made any mention that “locked” meant locked to the satellites. Da!

Apparently, not everybody experiences the reset problem when connecting to the computer. It occurs to me that this might be yet another power issue. The workarounds (remove your SD card, allow the unit to acquire satellites before connecting) have one thing in common -- they result in lowering power consumption at the time you connect via the USB cable. When you connect the cable, the unit switches to USB power from battery. If power is an issue, we have several possible sources of problems: (1) changes to the power handling logic in 2.54b, (2) variations from one unit to another, and (3) variations in the ability of individual USB ports to provide power.

Certainly, there must have been some change in 2.54b since people who never had problems before now have problems. On the other hand, not all USB ports are created equal. The USB spec allows conforming implementations to provide anywhere from 100ma to 500ma (in 100ma increments, I think). It may be that relatively minor changes in 2.54b are now causing problems for people who use low-powered USB ports?

All pure speculation, of course.

The unit will shut down if auto-routing is running if you remove the 12 volt plugin. I switch to off road and it would prompt me with the turn off or stay on option if unplugged.

A number of people have reported this issue pre-2.54. It is an intermittent problem, I've seen it a few times myself but some people seem to see it more than others. It could be that 2.54 is making it more sensitive, similar to the issue with the unit not working with an SD card. I've heard reports of this before 2.54 but they seem to be more common with 2.54.

GO$Rs

I've actually noticed the number of crashes on disconnecting the 12V has gone down for me on 2.54. I've only had it happen once so far vs about 80% when street routing. What I HAVE noticed though is the unit is a lot less happy when I connect it to the computer (get the saving waypoints thing and the unit powers off at 100%).

Read back up this thread. People with this problem seem to have better luck if they allow the unit to acquire satellites before connecting it.

Thanks for clarifying that. I’ve been wondering all day how you lock a Colorado. No one made any mention that “locked” meant locked to the satellites. Da!

Know it's obvious. Point was to suggest that the newbies read the whole thread (even off-topic responses like this), while giving the poster a hand by restating the result ;)

I find my 400t will crash if I plug the USB in and let it boot. To connect to my PC now all I have to do is boot the GPS normally wait a few seconds and then plug in the USB. Note - this is even when I am well indoors with no chance of GPS lock.

Does anyone know where I can get the .GCD 2.54 update file for Mac? I know I can phone tech support and they will mail it to me but it's a pain to do this from Australia.

Also has the bug where low batteries cause the unit to hang at the Garmin screen, and not be able to be turned off, been solved in this beta release? At the moment I need to take the batteries out to escape the screen.

Trying to remember off the top of my head...

Create a track then in automotive mode with City Select v7 (don't have anything else to try):

Shortcuts -> Where To -> Tracks -> Current Track -> Tracback

The unit starts navigating, then:

Shortcuts -> Route -> Select a turn on the route

The turn is shown. Then press the Back soft key. It takes me to a random screen instead of going back to the list of turns.

Andy

Edited by Team Spike

Bengt

I can now confirm that "the satellite lock routine" helped in my case. I went outside, let it lock on the satellites, run in to the computer and connected it before it understood that it no longer could see any satellites. Thank you all for your help! /Bengt

I find my 400t will crash if I plug the USB in and let it boot. To connect to my PC now all I have to do is boot the GPS normally wait a few seconds and then plug in the USB. Note - this is even when I am well indoors with no chance of GPS lock.

Has anyone tried this with no sat lock, but turning off the sat search ( assuming that it can be turned off before the "cannot find satellite, continue yes or no" or whatever the message is )?

Try the following.

1. GPS off, connect to USB PC

2. GPS on, connect to USB PC.

For me 2 seem to work, no satellte needed.

Number 2 works for me too but only if I wait until the map is loaded. Yesterday I apparantly did not wait long enough. Thanks Jotne.

Out with the Colorado yesterday and noted the following:

Recalculating after going off route happened within 100 yards or so, maybe a bit less.

While the compass in the geocaching mode works better it is still not right. Swing to the left, swing to the right and then settle down? Sometimes.

The delete waypoint does cause my unit to shut down. It did not do that previously.

I think Garmin has abandoned the Colorados! Wow! No software update for a long time! Are they re-writing the whole thing again? If that were the case, how long does it take to re-write the software?

I believe you are correct in your assumption. Rumor has it that Garmin is releasing the Garmin Oregon in 2009 and it sounds like it is a replacement model for the colorado line. Model numbers will be 200, 300, 400t, 400i, and the 400c. I believe that they have come to the conclusion that in order to fix all bugs in the colorado line, it would take hardware upgrades, rather than just firmware upgrades.

I believe you are correct in your assumption. Rumor has it that Garmin is releasing the Garmin Oregon in 2009 and it sounds like it is a replacement model for the colorado line. Model numbers will be 200, 300, 400t, 400i, and the 400c. I believe that they have come to the conclusion that in order to fix all bugs in the colorado line, it would take hardware upgrades, rather than just firmware upgrades.

From what I see the Oregon is a touch screen Colorado. There are plenty of us that aren't interested in using a touchscreen model for geocaching (we would have bought Tritons). I'll bet the codebase is pretty similar between the models (except for the input part), so don't bank on the Colorado's death just yet.

Yes, the smart way to develop software for a line of products is to create a modular platform that can be reused over and over again. It is also the case that the more complex a product the more problems there will be with it.

My previous GPS was an eTrex Venture (2001). How would you like vertical lines on the display, flickering, only having to hold the unit horizontal to get and keep a lock, and the glue failing so the rubber peels off? I think Garmin have come a long way...

Andy

With 2.54 running, I can't use the "Send to GPS". It will not recognize my 300. Anyone else experienced this or know how to fix? Going back to 2.51 works, but I want to run 2.54.

It works ok on my 300.

You need to upgrade the Garmin Communicator plug-in. I had the same issue myself this morning.

Try the following.

1. GPS off, connect to USB PC

2. GPS on, connect to USB PC.

For me 2 seem to work, no satellte needed.

Same here - 2 works for me.

I tested how long my 2700 NiMH batteries lasted: - 13 hours, the same as firmware 2.51. :-(

Edited by ohoi

Has anyone tried this with no sat lock, but turning off the sat search ( assuming that it can be turned off before the "cannot find satellite, continue yes or no" or whatever the message is )?

Uh oh!

I have tried this with the following :

1 - GPS "turned off", not searching for satellites ( via "Use with GPS off" in satellite screen )

2 - GPSr looking for satellites

3 - GPSr plugged into PC, turned off, turn on

4 - GPSr with signal lock

In all four cases, my 400t will not go into mass storage mode ... I think that I may be gaficked!

This the first serious issue since I bought my 400t, which was when back in Jan/Feb, when they came out at REI?

edit : I have also tried spanner mode -> mass storage mode with "use with GPS off", as above

Edited by nicolo

I'm not having any trouble going into mass transfer mode with 2.54. I had lots of trouble with 2.51 and earlier.....and 2.54 seems to have FIXED the problem.

Try a soft reset. That ALWAYS fixed it for me with 2.51................

Uh oh!

1 - GPS "turned off", not searching for satellites ( via "Use with GPS off" in satellite screen )

In all four cases, my 400t will not go into mass storage mode ... I think that I may be gaficked!

This the first serious issue since I bought my 400t, which was when back in Jan/Feb, when they came out at REI?

edit : I have also tried spanner mode -> mass storage mode with "use with GPS off", as above

Well, I'm holding my breath on this one. It may be a problem with my laptop or usb cable - I am also unable to mount my AT&T Tilt and digital camera as drives on my laptop ... please, please!

Uh oh!

Ok I tested mine out and with my unit off I plugged in my cable and it lit up and connected with the computer and stayed on. I have a 300.

I would tend to agree with twolpert's comments above about the USB connection issue being another variation on the power issues in the Colorado.

I still haven't seen a connection issue in 2.54 with my CO, w or w/o GPS lock. It always seems to go into mass storage mode.

GO$Rs

Updated to 2.54 beta today on a Colorado 300. All went fine. No power issues at all. I'm using Spanner mode and it asks every time whether to enter mass storage mode or not. Select yes and it connects fine. Tried it in the cache mobile with a car adapter. This time selected 'no' for mass storage mode and it went right to the map screen.

I can confirm the delete waypoint crash and the spell geocache bug where the filtered list disappears.

The text entry when logging a cache as found is very nice. We visited two caches and dropped off 3 TB's and picked up another. Very handy to note what was left and picked up. I wouldn't want to do a long log entry but a few numbers or letters for a TB is a good thing. When using field notes to post a log at gc.com it puts that note right in the comments section of the log. Very nice.

I'm planning a call to Garmin tech support next week about the two bugs. Since these are easily reproducible a few phone calls from some users ought to get a fix in the next release. Probably shouldn't assume that Garmin follows these topics.

edit to add: I connect the GPSr to the computer with the GPSr turned off. Connecting the device turns it on and asks whether to enter mass storage mode or not.

Edited by The4B's

More BIG bugs.

Adding 6000 cache (20 files 34MB) to SD card (Garmin\gpx folder) and Colorado will not boot.

Try to remove card boot unit and insert card, and it hangs.

Remove Cache and unit works normaly again.

Adding the same cache to the unit, and they do not list.

More BIG bugs.

Adding 6000 cache (20 files 34MB) to SD card (Garmin\gpx folder) and Colorado will not boot.

I don't see how this is a bug - there's a 2000 cache limit for the unit, so I wouldn't expect that a 6000 cache file would work.

Here's a cache that made my Colorado shutdown last night. I tried to go to it but it caused my 400t on firmware 2.54 to shutdown everytime.

I just loaded that cache in my 300 and while it didn't crash, the beginning of the description was garbled. I stripped out the html table that The Selector inserts and everything worked fine.

More BIG bugs.

The Colorado will only display 2000 caches. Try with fewer caches in your query.

Uh oh!

Ok I tested mine out and with my unit off I plugged in my cable and it lit up and connected with the computer and stayed on. I have a 300.

Same here

More BIG bugs.

Along with having a limitation of 2000 caches and 1000 waypoints which you greatly exceeded, there is also file limit size on the gpx files. While the exact file size is not specifically known it is anywhere between 8-10 megs you might have issues. I have gone as far as a 7 meg file and all is well.

Oops, I may have forgot the 2000 cache limit.

Even if I have to many Cache, the unit should not hang when I have them on SD card, still a bug.

Using only 500 geocache for the nearest one and the 6000 rest as GPI (Nüvi solution) do work fine.

Edited by jotne

Along with having a limitation of 2000 caches and 1000 waypoints which you greatly exceeded, there is also file limit size on the gpx files. While the exact file size is not specifically known it is anywhere between 8-10 megs you might have issues. I have gone as far as a 7 meg file and all is well.

Yes. We did some testing and the 8 to 10 MB is the range. It seems like it isn't just 8 - 10 MB per file but 8 - 10 MB worth of new gpx files that get loaded at the same time. You can read about it at this GSAK thread. Since we've kept our total new batch of files less than 8 MB we've been good.

This was all done with firmware version 2.51. We haven't tried anything new experiments with version 2.54 so it may have changed. There is mention in the Garmin documentation that the total number of gpx files allowed has increased to 200, so maybe there is a change in the file size too.

Here's a cache that made my Colorado shutdown last night. I tried to go to it but it caused my 400t on firmware 2.54 to shutdown everytime.

I just loaded that cache in my 300 and while it didn't crash, the beginning of the description was garbled. I stripped out the html table that The Selector inserts and everything worked fine.

I just checked it on my Colorado 300, firmware 2.54, loaded from the same GSAK data base, one right after another. The 300 doesn’t shutdown. I get distance and time to next but no cache description, web page, logs or hints.