Garmin Colorado 2.54 Beta Firmware release

Garmin 300 with Beta 2.54 software......

Maybe I'm just missing something obvious, but how do you access the "comments" you log (from within the Garmin 300) when you do log attempt using "add comments" after logging "found"?

After you enter the comments there doesn't seem to be a way to view or edit them on the Colorado. You need to connect the Colorado to your computer and read the geocaching_visits.txt file or upload this to Groundspeak/GSAK to see the comments as part of your fieldnotes.

GO$Rs

Garmin 300 with Beta 2.54 software......

Maybe I'm just missing something obvious, but how do you access the "comments" you log (from within the Garmin 300) when you do log attempt using "add comments" after logging "found"?

After you enter the comments there doesn't seem to be a way to view or edit them on the Colorado. You need to connect the Colorado to your computer and read the geocaching_visits.txt file or upload this to Groundspeak/GSAK to see the comments as part of your fieldnotes.

GO$Rs

Well, this is what I kinda was coming to the conclusion to. Seems kinda silly to add the abililty to create comments, and then not be able to view, or edit them.... Oh, well, leave it to Garmin.....

Well, this is what I kinda was coming to the conclusion to. Seems kinda silly to add the abililty to create comments, and then not be able to view, or edit them.... Oh, well, leave it to Garmin.....

I don't really mind not being able to edit/see the note - I actually use it the same way I used my Palm - I'd screw up the graffiti on occasion, but I didn't care as it wasn't going right onto gc.com - it was just to remind me what I did - left TB, etc. So, not a deal breaker for me. I write much longer online logs than I'm willing to plug in on either the palm or the Colorado.

I just discovered my 300 won't allow me to load custom POIs the normal way after updating to the Beta 2.54 software.

It used to communicate directly between the PC (XP) and my 300. The connection is fine, but it gives a nastygram that says "there was an error communicating with your device". The workaround is to use the POIs Custom Folder (Advanced) method, creating the POI file (the Poi.gpi) saving it to a location, then copy/paste it in the Garmin/POI folder on the unit when connected.

I just discovered my 300 won't allow me to load custom POIs the normal way after updating to the Beta 2.54 software.

It used to communicate directly between the PC (XP) and my 300. The connection is fine, but it gives a nastygram that says "there was an error communicating with your device". The workaround is to use the POIs Custom Folder (Advanced) method, creating the POI file (the Poi.gpi) saving it to a location, then copy/paste it in the Garmin/POI folder on the unit when connected.

I've had no changes in Custom POI loading with this firmware. Your problem is most likely elsewhere.

I've had no changes in Custom POI loading with this firmware. Your problem is most likely elsewhere.

Thanks, much appreciated. I'll try my PC and laptop at home. Glad to hear it's not due to the update.

Thanks, much appreciated. I'll try my PC and laptop at home. Glad to hear it's not due to the update.

I found that with the newer versions of the POI loader, it will error out if you happen to have a record in the GPX file with an empty URL... When it first started happening, I tried emailing and calling tech support, but they were of little help in finding/resolving that issue. They kept telling me "it works fine for us"...

Noticed the same thing with my CO300, thanks for the workaround.

Noticed the same thing with my CO300, thanks for the workaround.

Ok, I just found that my 300 w/v.2.54 beta would not communicate with POI Loader v.2.5.2. I tried it on 2 different PCs and my laptop all running XP. I uninstalled POI Loader 2.5.2 and went back to POI Loader 2.4.2 and it works fine.

I don't really mind not being able to edit/see the note - I actually use it the same way I used my Palm - I'd screw up the graffiti on occasion, but I didn't care as it wasn't going right onto gc.com - it was just to remind me what I did - left TB, etc.

Yeah... until you enter the wrong TB in the note for the cache, like I did last weekend. I realized it as soon as I closed the note, but then found that I wasn't able to edit it. It was a day of about 20 caches so wasn't easy to remember that by the time I got back home and did my online logging.

Yeah... until you enter the wrong TB in the note for the cache, like I did last weekend. I realized it as soon as I closed the note, but then found that I wasn't able to edit it. It was a day of about 20 caches so wasn't easy to remember that by the time I got back home and did my online logging.

Good point! The work around now, I guess, is to show found caches, mark the cache as unfound, and then mark it found, writing a new comment. Both caches will show up in the 'finds' file, but at least you'd have the correct number on the 2nd one...

Works fine on mine... deleted about 10 of them an no crashes.

Tracback is a bit of a joke. It's not the old tracback that put down intermediate waypoints and gave you guidance to these points. It looks like they took the Track Go feature from 2.51 and prior releases, just renamed the button "Trackback" and reversed the navigation along the track. The few times I tried navigation along a track it didn't work very well.

Also, I notice that when I delete a waypoint it crashes. Select a waypoint->Options->Edit Waypoint->Options->Delete Waypoint. Anyone else get a screen fade power off?

GO$Rs

Yes your cvorrect... sorry...

Works fine on mine... deleted about 10 of them an no crashes.

Sounds to me like your deleting waypoint through through the manager and not from the actual waypoint itself. Through the manager there is no crashing, direct through the waypoint you crash.

[Ok, I just found that my 300 w/v.2.54 beta would not communicate with POI Loader v.2.5.2. I tried it on 2 different PCs and my laptop all running XP. I uninstalled POI Loader 2.5.2 and went back to POI Loader 2.4.2 and it works fine.

I'm having the same trouble with my 300. Where can I find a copy of POI Loader 2.4.2?

Don

Did try upgrade last night from previous beta to 2.54b and it seems that the upgrade failed somehow, as I cannot turn device on anymore. :huh:

I have tried reset combination (two softkeys + power up), but it does not help. I had 2 GB SanDisk Extreme card in Colorado when upgrading - maybe this is the problem, as I have seen some mentioning of problems with SD card with new software.

When I connect Colorado to PC it claims it is unknown USB device, so it seems it still works somehow, but it is not properly initialized/started with software...

Any idea what to try before I call support on Monday and send it back?

Did try upgrade last night from previous beta to 2.54b and it seems that the upgrade failed somehow, as I cannot turn device on anymore. :huh:

I have tried reset combination (two softkeys + power up), but it does not help. I had 2 GB SanDisk Extreme card in Colorado when upgrading - maybe this is the problem, as I have seen some mentioning of problems with SD card with new software.

When I connect Colorado to PC it claims it is unknown USB device, so it seems it still works somehow, but it is not properly initialized/started with software...

Any idea what to try before I call support on Monday and send it back?

For next time, best to remove the SD card before attempting to upgrade.

If you can still access the Colorado from your computer in mass storage mode, and if you made a backup when you got the unit, I suggest you try returning to ground zero. First, copy the current contents of the unit to your computer's hard drive. (This will let you get back to where you are now if you have to send the brick back to Garmin.) Now clear all files and directories off the Colorado. (During an upgrade, upgrade files are merged with what's on the unit and then deleted. Clearing things out will avoid having the unit attempt to start or continue the upgrade the next time you boot it.) If you are on a Mac, don't forget to empty the trash on the unit. Now, copy all files and directories from your backup onto the unit. After dismounting it correctly, disconnect it. Take it outside, start it up, and give it a good 20 minutes to acquire the full almanac again. If all goes well, you can try the upgrade again. If not, it may well be RMA time. Tech support may also have other ideas about how to recover if you don't have a backup.

If you didn't back it up when you got it, best to do that first thing when you get the replacement :huh:

I'm not having any trouble going into mass transfer mode with 2.54. I had lots of trouble with 2.51 and earlier.....and 2.54 seems to have FIXED the problem.

Try a soft reset. That ALWAYS fixed it for me with 2.51................

OK, I'm changing my tune today.... I had huge problem connecting today and after finally getting a connection, I reverted to 2.51............ Seems to connect fine again. Maybe it is my unit.... Who knows.

I've noticed that if I log a cache as found and enter a comment, it doesn't mark it as found on the map. If I log it as found and don't enter a comment it's fine.. anyone else notice this?

I have noticed this as well, and have been meaning to test what I think may be causing it. After entering the comments in the log, I have two options for selecting "Done." The first is to use the rock'n'roller wheel, and scroll down and hit Done. The other is to use the right upper soft key to select done. I think that when I use the soft key "done" it doesn't register the log at all, but when I use the scroll wheel, it does.

Once I get some time to play with it, I'll post back here, in the meanwhile, though, if anyone else has played with this, your thoughts?

PhilAun

Did try upgrade last night from previous beta to 2.54b and it seems that the upgrade failed somehow, as I cannot turn device on anymore. sad.gif

When you say it doesn't turn on does it just freeze at the Garmin logo?

There is a bug in 2.54 that can eventually result in the Colorado not being able to boot. In my case and the users who I've talked to it has something to do with loading certain gpx files. In my case I loaded a older gpx file I had created in ExpertGPS which contained two waypoints that didn't contain a <name> tag. I've talked to other users (mostly Czech) who are experiencing the same problems, but it doesn't seem to be the same root cause as mine although they end up in the same "freeze at Garmin logo" situation.

In either case the best way to recover is use this procedure. When you get the Colorado into USB mode just delete the GPX files it is loading and reboot.

GO$Rs

I've noticed that if I log a cache as found and enter a comment, it doesn't mark it as found on the map. If I log it as found and don't enter a comment it's fine.. anyone else notice this?

I have noticed this as well, and have been meaning to test what I think may be causing it. After entering the comments in the log, I have two options for selecting "Done." The first is to use the rock'n'roller wheel, and scroll down and hit Done. The other is to use the right upper soft key to select done. I think that when I use the soft key "done" it doesn't register the log at all, but when I use the scroll wheel, it does.

Once I get some time to play with it, I'll post back here, in the meanwhile, though, if anyone else has played with this, your thoughts?

PhilAun

I think you are correct. I've been scrolling down and hitting Done and my comments and caches have been showing up as found on my unit.

GO$Rs

Here is a new bug for my unit. If I use the Where To button then hit tracks my unit shuts down. Not good.

My 300 did this as well. I think mine was caused by the Current.gpx file being too large, but I have no way of proving that. It could be from another cache.gpx file as I did have some scrambled cache descriptions. In any event I got it working again by doing a Master Reset as described here in g-o-casher's FAQ;

M11.) How do I master reset my Colorado?

Warning: This procedure will delete information (waypoints, routes, tracks, etc) from your GPS and settings may be set back to factory defaults.

1. Power the unit OFF

2. Hold down the two Soft Keys for 2 seconds

3. While continuing to hold the 2 Soft Keys down, press and hold down the Power button for an additional 5 seconds

4. Release all buttons, and select YES to the prompt asking "if you want to clear all user data?"

Well I got gitty and took the plunge upgrading to 2.54b.

Ran into two issues so far:

1. As reported, manual deleting waypoints cause the unit to crash and shut down. When the unit is powered up the waypoint still exists. The only known way to delete a waypoint is through the Waypoint Manager.

2. Barometer trending is buggy that I brought up in the barometer thread. Here are some snapshots of the barometer during the overnight. The unit was shut off around midnight and here's what it looked like until about 8 AM. It has been properly caliberated as far as I can tell.

Screen 1

Screen 2

Screen 3

Screen 4

Screen 5

Screen 6

Edited by ryguyMN
Did try upgrade last night from previous beta to 2.54b and it seems that the upgrade failed somehow, as I cannot turn device on anymore. sad.gif

When you say it doesn't turn on does it just freeze at the Garmin logo?

There is a bug in 2.54...........In either case the best way to recover is use this procedure. When you get the Colorado into USB mode just delete the GPX files it is loading and reboot.

GO$Rs

I had the same problem. All I know is the unit froze up on me twice in two days, then finally stopped powering on. I would power it up and the Garmin Screen splash would appear then slowly fade. Same symptom when I plugged into my PC. Hard re-set would not work so I shipped back to Garmin.

see my post

I just received my 400c unit back in the mail today (one week turn around not bad). Brand new unit with no explanation on the issue. That scares me a bit.

I took the plunge and have had no new issues in anything I have been doing, although I admit to not really doing too much.

I have been connecting, unconnecting and reconnecting to my PC numerous times though and have never once had an issue. I almost never have a signal when doing this and I have done it from both on and off states. It loads into USB mode every time and I can copy all my track logs easily.

I also have an SD card loaded at all times.

One thing it fixed is auto archiving. This just never worked for me, especially if I left it on all day and hit the 10,000 limit. It just seemed to write over my current.gpx and I rarely got any archive files. I now get an archive file about every 9,800 points if I just leave it on and record every second. Very handy since I use it to geotag my photos.

I also ran a battery test, while doing almost nothing and it lasted over 15 hours.