Garmin Colorado 2.54 Beta Firmware release

Found this today.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3891

Changes made from version 2.51 to 2.54:

* Added ability to turn elevation shading off, included in user profile settings

* Added ability to log a comment with geocaching Field Notes

* Added ability to save map selections to user profile settings

* Added compass setting to saved user profile settings

* Added tracback along current track

* Added ability to determine public land survey or USGS Quad name for Topo 24k HD cartography

* Added progress bar during software updates

* Improved odometer distance calculation

* Improved Wherigo engine

* Improved backlight behavior

* Improved compass / gps heading autoswitch behavior

* Improved keyboard behavior in address & intersection searches

* Improved behavior in low battery state

* Improved behavior of turn-by-turn route recalcuations

* Improved map drawing to eliminate redraws when not necessary

* Improved map drawing to reduce partial map draws

* Improved map drawing to enhance appearance of trails

* Improved usability of WGS84 by listing as a datum rather than just a spheroid

* Improved automatic track archiving when archiving very lengthy activity segments

* Increased maximum number of GPX files processed to 200

* Corrected guidance text to not truncate streets when not necessary

* Corrected behavior of proximity alarms in custom points of interest

* Corrected potential issues that prevented user alarm from sounding

* Corrected map drawing above 75 degrees latitude

* Corrected potential issue when attempting to delete profiles

* Corrected issue that generated extra waypoints at poweron when 'Mark Waypoint' was the first listed shortcut

* Corrected potential issue preventing 'Waypoints' from being listed in 'Where to?'

* Corrected issue that prevented poor signal strength messages from disappearing if a fix was achieved

* Corrected calculated issue that prevented complete display of large numbers

* Corrected specified schema path for GPX files

* Corrected Dutch keyboard to include 'Z' for address searches

* Corrected User Grid to retain settings between power cycles

* Corrected User Grid to allow 'E' and 'W' for longitude origin entry

In case you are looking for it:

Setup->Map->Options->Advanced->Turn OFF Map Shading.

On the topos this not only has the effect of turning off DEM shading it also makes the background off-white instead of green. Much more readable in my opinion, I just hate losing the shading.

GO$Rs

Tracback is a bit of a joke. It's not the old tracback that put down intermediate waypoints and gave you guidance to these points. It looks like they took the Track Go feature from 2.51 and prior releases, just renamed the button "Trackback" and reversed the navigation along the track. The few times I tried navigation along a track it didn't work very well.

Also, I notice that when I delete a waypoint it crashes. Select a waypoint->Options->Edit Waypoint->Options->Delete Waypoint. Anyone else get a screen fade power off?

GO$Rs

Profile management has been there all along.

GO$Rs

Really?

Hmm, let me better describe what I have noticed as a new ability.

I am referring to the following change made by Garmin:

"Added ability to save map selections to user profile settings."

So, if your Colorado has more than one map loaded on to it, say Topo 2008 and City Navigator, you can set up a user profile to automatically choose the map you want displayed in that profile. Very handy.

Also, I notice that when I delete a waypoint it crashes. Select a waypoint->Options->Edit Waypoint->Options->Delete Waypoint. Anyone else get a screen fade power off?

GO$Rs

Same here. I tried it several time with the same result.

Right, my 300 also crashed. When I rebooted the 300 the waypoint I attempted to delete was still on the Colorado.

Edited by Barrikady

I am referring to the following change made by Garmin:

"Added ability to save map selections to user profile settings."

So, if your Colorado has more than one map loaded on to it, say Topo 2008 and City Navigator, you can set up a user profile to automatically choose the map you want displayed in that profile. Very handy.

Yes, that setting is new and it works. I'm glad they finally added that feature, probably on everyone's top 10.

BTW, you can still delete waypoints through the waypoint manager as work around.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

Same issue here. I was able to go into the waypoint manager and delete them without any problem

Other-> Waypoint Manager-> Click on waypoint-> Options-> Delete Waypoint

This works without it shutting down.

Looks like you can change the symbol of waypoints to a geocache or any of the symbols on the 60CS.

Mark Waypoint>Edit>Change Symbol

It shows up as a Cache Symbol on the map, but still appears on the WP list and not on the GC list.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Anniebananie

Mine crashes too. Waypoint deletion works when you do it through the waypoint manager but if you do it from the map screen POOF!!! CRASHED UNIT!

Maybe in another 3 or 4 months they'll get this bug worked out!

Observation; I have never seen an update list as big as this one. Could have something to do with the two versions they skipped before letting us beta-testers get our hands on it (ver. 2.52 and ver 2.53).

One more thing, why are they only releasing BETA versions? The past two releases have been BETA. Hmmm

Edited by yogazoo

Tracback is a bit of a joke. It's not the old tracback that put down intermediate waypoints and gave you guidance to these points. It looks like they took the Track Go feature from 2.51 and prior releases, just renamed the button "Trackback" and reversed the navigation along the track. The few times I tried navigation along a track it didn't work very well.

GO$Rs

Same thing happens to mine ;)

Looks like we will always be bata testers for Garmin

When will we see a firmware update that is not bata :)

I really wish i did not update now. :)

now i will have to wait another 3 months for garmin to release the next "bata" update to fix this new problem :D

is there any way to go back to 2.51 ? it worked ok. at least my unit would not crash.

GO$Rs

Same thing happens to mine ;)

When will we see a firmware update that is not bata :)

I really wish i did not update now. :)

now i will have to wait another 3 months for garmin to release the next "bata" update to fix this new problem :D

is there any way to go back to 2.51 ? it worked ok. at least my unit would not crash.

Can you really complain about being a beta tester for Garmin? They state right on the page that it is beta software. They also have in big red letters.

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

I would like a stable software but this is progress towards that end.

GO$Rs

Yep! Here too...

I've been looking at a couple of these to try and figure out what they mean:

So far I haven't figured this out. I still can't get a proximity alarm on a custom POI although the CO seems to recognize that a POI has a proximity alarm distance. I see "Alert Information: xx ft" under the POI now.

* Corrected potential issues that prevented user alarm from sounding

This seems to refer to the fact that the alarm clock didn't go off when tones were disabled. The alarm goes off regardless of the tones setting now. Not quite as good as an independent setting like the 60csx but an improvement.

GO$Rs

I think this is another new issue but someone using 2.51 could verify:

Goto Geocaches->Options->Spell...

Spell out the name of a geocache/GCID until you narrow the list to less than one screen worth of data. Normally the spell would auto-abort at this point and leave you on a screen with just your narrowed selection list. In 2.54 it seems to flash that screen but then you get the entire geocache list back again, not your filtered results. This makes it difficult to filter out geocaches from a long list.

Waypoints seem to work fine, it seems to be specific to geocaches.

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

Spell out the name of a geocache/GCID until you narrow the list to less than one screen worth of data. Normally the spell would auto-abort at this point and leave you on a screen with just your narrowed selection list. In 2.54 it seems to flash that screen but then you get the entire geocache list back again, not your filtered results. This makes it difficult to filter out geocaches from a long list.

Duplicated the same issue here (using 2.54), pretty sure that's new

I don't get any descriptions of the caches and when I try to navigate to them or to exit it shuts down my unit.

No problems reading cache descriptions or navigating to them -- are your caches loaded in internal memory or an SD card? I did check to see if they had fixed the garbled text issue and that is not fixed.

GO$Rs

I don't get any descriptions of the caches and when I try to navigate to them or to exit it shuts down my unit.

No problems reading cache descriptions or navigating to them -- are your caches loaded in internal memory or an SD card? I did check to see if they had fixed the garbled text issue and that is not fixed.

GO$Rs

Internal memory, straight from a pocket query without any manipulation.

GO$Rs

It does that mine too after upgrading, I can live with that until they get it fixed.

However my inaccuracy problem (as of now) seems to be cured.

I had the unit on for about 30 min, drove out to a cache, walked .33 miles to it. Both the arrow and the distance to the cache worked perfect. Zeroed out 1' from the cache.

The track logs for my trip matched almost perfect, no major deviations along the entire route.

As of right now I'm a happy man. I hope that I can get out sometime this weekend to give it a through flogging.

xshooter

GO$Rs

Definitely a new prob. with 2.54 - I am still on 2.51 ( for the next 10 minutes anyway ) and all works normal with the old beta version ( 2.51 ).

I have no problem viewing cache descriptions, etc as webscouter does in 2.54.

Seems to me that the ability to save the map preference to a profile doesn't help much, if the unit still won't auto-route to a geocache unless I specifically select the CN maps in geocaching mode.

It still continues to auto-route if I deselect the CN maps once the route has been calculated, however.

Ditto here, but if you click 'done' before you hit the next letter that brings you to less than a full page, you'll still get the filtered results. A less than elegant solution, but a workaround for now...

Interestingly, this doesn't seem to happen when search/spelling out waypoints - only geocaches.

Edited by Dosido

I have no problem viewing cache descriptions, etc as webscouter does in 2.54.

Seems to me that the ability to save the map preference to a profile doesn't help much, if the unit still won't auto-route to a geocache unless I specifically select the CN maps in geocaching mode.

It still continues to auto-route if I deselect the CN maps once the route has been calculated, however.

If I goto Geocaches->select cache->Options->Goto Location in automotive mode with CN and Topo selected I get an autoroute to the cache. If I change profiles to Geocaching (just Topo selected) I get a straight-line route, if I switch back to automotive mode it recalculates the autoroute.

Is this different than what you are seeing? Maybe you don't have topo selected in automotive mode and something about that causes the difference?

GO$Rs

If I goto Geocaches->select cache->Options->Goto Location in automotive mode with CN and Topo selected I get an autoroute to the cache. If I change profiles to Geocaching (just Topo selected) I get a straight-line route, if I switch back to automotive mode it recalculates the autoroute.

Is this different than what you are seeing? Maybe you don't have topo selected in automotive mode and something about that causes the difference?

GO$Rs

Hmm...not what I see at all...

I setup automotive mode with both CN and Topo selected. Geocaching mode with only Topo selected.

In automotive mode, I then went to Geocache->Select Cache-> (gives me a geocaching screen with CN map and straight line to dest.) Now I select Options->Goto Location and it autoroutes.

I then change to geocaching mode (profile change->geocaching), and I get an autoroute shown a Topo map.

I setup automotive mode with both CN and Topo selected. Geocaching mode with only Topo selected.

In automotive mode, I then went to Geocache->Select Cache-> (gives me a geocaching screen with CN map and straight line to dest.) Now I select Options->Goto Location and it autoroutes.

I then change to geocaching mode (profile change->geocaching), and I get an autoroute shown a Topo map.

Actually, I'd expect that to happen - when doing that with non-geocaching waypoints it normally puts the route on the map, and switching to Topo leaves the route, but turns off recalculation. To get back to the straight line to the cache, you need to go back and pick the Geocache from the Whereto (or Geocaches) menu. I suspect it is assumed you want the street route directions shown until you park the car and get out.

My routing works the same as g-o-cashers when switching profiles.

Here is a new one though: I selected a cache as found (2.54) then I marked it as unattempted which took it off of the found list. This is good. However, when I uploaded my field notes after caching tonight it uploaded as a found cache. Not good.

I do have to say that the compass seems to be much more stable to me when zero-ing in on a cache or waypoint. No more fluctuating and just plain whacking out when nearing a cache.

More bugs. 2.54 Beta

Having a big tracklog (Current.gpx) makes the unit turn off when connectiong USB cable.

It starts saving track 1% --> 100% then turns off.

I had to delte active track log from setup and the connecting USB to make GPS work OK

I've been looking at a couple of these to try and figure out what they mean:

So far I haven't figured this out. I still can't get a proximity alarm on a custom POI although the CO seems to recognize that a POI has a proximity alarm distance. I see "Alert Information: xx ft" under the POI now.

GO$Rs

Here in the UK we have 12,000 speed cameras.

2408ez2.png

I now have a Visual and Audible warning [Proximity Alarm] :lol::D

Topo can now appear on a white background:-

1484dk6.png .. 134qq6.png

Fantasic Improvement

Edited by strumble

That's great with the proximity alarms. I created one myself using Mapsource and the POI loader but I couldn't get it to fire when I got within range. I'll have to play around with it a bit more. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work other than downloading the POI database?

GO$Rs

More bugs. 2.54 Beta

Having a big tracklog (Current.gpx) makes the unit turn off when connectiong USB cable.

It starts saving track 1% --> 100% then turns off.

I had to delte active track log from setup and the connecting USB to make GPS work OK

I have a ~2MB current.gpx (this is about as large as it gets) and don't have any problems with this, I still see the track save and count down but no shut off.

GO$Rs

Here is a new one though: I selected a cache as found (2.54) then I marked it as unattempted which took it off of the found list. This is good. However, when I uploaded my field notes after caching tonight it uploaded as a found cache. Not good.

I'm pretty sure that this is the way it worked in 2.51, once you mark a cache as found an entry gets put into the visits file. When you mark the cache as unattempted there isn't any logic that removes that log on the CO. I'm not sure if an unattempted fieldnote gets put in the visits file. If it does then the software interpreting that file (ie. Groundspeak) could probably remove the found field note ahead of it.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

How are your routing options set in each profile. For me

Geocaching:

Guidance Method: Off Road

Calculate Routes for: Car/Motorcycle (I'm not sure what this means in off road mode)

Avoid: On (U-turns)

Off Road Transitions: Auto

Automotive:

Guidance Method: On Road for Time

Rest: Same as above

I verified again this morning and my map settings are the same as yours and I can do the goto location in either profile and the type of route will switch as I switch profiles, it always recalculates.

GO$Rs

That's great with the proximity alarms. I created one myself using Mapsource and the POI loader but I couldn't get it to fire when I got within range. I'll have to play around with it a bit more. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work other than downloading the POI database?

GO$Rs

The database was already in ithe unit showing the 'zonned' UK database, but without and 'proximity alarms' which are in-built in the data base, which are downloaded twice monthly!

What I saw before today:-

315jf4.png

I now get the view above plus the visual alarm at 0.5miles [shown in the first screenshot today] and an overspeed beep until I slow down! The beep is not continuous but roughly every 5 seconds until you slow down then it stops.

As I live in a rural area with only three cameras available to try it on, but I will try some more options later.

I made no alterations to the unit to receive the two new proximity alarms [visual and audible].

This the detail [inbuilt] on selecting a speed camera POI. The alert distance varies according to speed.

137il0.png

Edited by strumble

GO$Rs

Same thing happens to mine :lol:

When will we see a firmware update that is not bata :D

I really wish i did not update now. :D

Can you really complain about being a beta tester for Garmin? They state right on the page that it is beta software. They also have in big red letters.

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

I would like a stable software but this is progress towards that end.

So, based on your premise, if all Garmin ever releases is "BETA" updates for the next two years then I should not complain because, hey, they warned me it was BETA? Thats a bunch of crap! Then if that's the case, they haven't released a true "Polished" version that I DO have a reason to complain about in almost 6 months. :D Just because they say it's a BETA version doesn't really, in my mind, excuse them for releasing this junior varsity, subpar crap.

ABSOLUTELY! I think we have every reason to complain about it! I paid $500 for a unit in January and here we are in July and the "new" "BETA" firmware makes my unit crash when I delete a waypoint, among other new bugs.

For the past 6 months when people ask me what I think about the Colorado (I work at a sporting goods store) I've had to tell them that it's a great unit but is in need of some decent firmware to live upto it's potential. Sadly, after this firmware release the storyline remains the same.

I was able to get the proximity/speed alarms to work this morning, it was user error on my part. In the POI loader you have to load manually and tell the POI loader that the database has proximity alerts in it. I got them all the way to work this morning on 5-6 custom POIs that I created. Now I need to see if the speed part works (these were just proximity alarms).

Another user on the wiki forums has reported the crash during the archive to current.gpx that happens when you plug into your computer. Not sure why some people see it and others don't but it seems to be an issue.

GO$Rs