FTF? Logged?

Time4Crime

Are First to Finds (FTF) just for bragging rights or are they "logged" somewhere? I just had a FTF today bu am unsure how/if I should "claim" it. Couldn't find the answer anywhere!

Nothing but bragging rights unless the CO left you a $100 bill as FTF prize. ;) It actually HAVE happened. Must be nice.

God help us all if Groundspeak ever decide to make a FTF logging feature.... :)

Nothing but bragging rights unless the CO left you a $100 bill as FTF prize. ;) It actually HAVE happened. Must be nice.

yes, it is very nice.

as for logging it, you log it just like any other find. if you feel a need to make a fuss about it, be sure to say so in your log.

i think it's tacky, but the world is chock -full of people with no taste. there's no shortage of people who dance in end-zones, so go ahead if that's what you want.

YIPPEE! A FTF! ;) FTFs should be embraced and highly celebrated. I think that a big fuss should be made over FTFs and that other cachers should be in awe to those who made the find. Those who show distain over FTFs are not being totally honest. It is one of the many enjoyable facets of the hunt. I like the prizes given for the FTF and I enjoy placing a FTF prize in my new caches. :) --- Seriously, I do believe in most of what I just said. It is different strokes for different folks. Although I find FTFs very enjoyable, I realize that it means nothing to other folks. Just like everybody has their own opinion on micro and nano caches, there is no set consensus on FTFs. There is more than enough variety in Geocaching to satisfy us all.

Are First to Finds (FTF) just for bragging rights or are they "logged" somewhere? I just had a FTF today bu am unsure how/if I should "claim" it. Couldn't find the answer anywhere!

No need to "claim" it anywhere. FTF is just a fact. It's nothing that needs to be claimed or awarded. Many people don't give a whit about who the FTF is. Some make a big deal about it. I's a matter of personal preference.

I know some of the stats generators count FTFs, but they go by whether you were first to log online, which doesn't always mean you are the FTF.

[

I know some of the stats generators count FTFs, but they go by whether you were first to log online, which doesn't always mean you are the FTF.

I would hope our fellow geocachers would be honest and not claim any FTFs that were not theirs.

First to log online has nothing to do with FTF. This website lists finds in order they are logged, not found. Just because you logged it first doesn't mean you are FTF. By logging first you aren't "claiming" anything but a find. It has nothing to do with honesty. It just means you got to your PC first to log it.

Edited by briansnat

[

I would hope our fellow geocachers would be honest and not claim any FTFs that were not theirs.

First to log online has nothing to do with FTF. This website lists finds in order they are logged, not found. Just because you logged it first doesn't mean you are FTF. By logging first you aren't "claiming" anything but a find. It has nothing to do with honesty. It just means you got to your PC first to log it.

Sorry, I misunderstood. You are right.

I love geocaching, however I may stay away from reading the forums because there are a lot of cranky people out there. :D Can't we all just get along?

I don't think there is anything wrong with discussion. Because people have differing ideas doesn't mean that they aren't getting along. In fact a lot of the discussion here is between people who are good friends.

I love geocaching, however I may stay away from reading the forums because there are a lot of cranky people out there. :lol: Can't we all just get along?

99.9% of the time we do all get along. The discussions may get spirited but are friendly. For my part, I have used the forums not to just interject my views, but to listen to other viewpoints. I have even been persuaded to change my mind. I believe that this has made me a better geocacher. Now let's all join hands and sing Kum-Bah-Yah! :D

Thanks for the info, my question is answered. I have seen a few rooters (GCs) who seem to be a bit daft about the FTF. I saw one of the "counters" mentioned above recording FTF, as well as someone near me who is not claiming FTFs for his milestone to be 10% FTF (he's at 495 finds with 50 FTF). Quirky but to each his own (actually impressed by the old bugger's Geo work!). I doubt if I'll actively seek FTFs, but that seems to be an interesting twist to this; so many vritions to satisfy different personalities!

anyone is welcome to claim my FTFs if they want. i'm not keeping track and i'd sooner start using smilies than a stat generator.

i don't keep track of my FTFs and if a cache owner want to put my name as having "FF honors", i will ask for my name to be removed from the page.

there's no official or accurate count of FTFs nor even an official count of first-to-log, thank goodness. it's an unreliable and meaningless stat.

I have used a stat generator type program in the past, not positive but i believe it was called Cachestats, that uses keywords to determine the number of ftf's you have found. It looks for this keyword (ie: ftf, first to find) in your logs, so if you think that you may want to someday keep up with ftfs, then you may want to go ahead and put "ftf"somewhere in your online log,,, that is, on those caches that you did indeed find first.

I have used a stat generator type program in the past, not positive but i believe it was called Cachestats, that uses keywords to determine the number of ftf's you have found. It looks for this keyword (ie: ftf, first to find) in your logs, so if you think that you may want to someday keep up with ftfs, then you may want to go ahead and put "ftf"somewhere in your online log,,, that is, on those caches that you did indeed find first.

Mudfrog is right. You enter a key phrase for Cachestats to find. You are just starting out so you are lucky. Make sure you RESERVE the phrase FTF for you ftf logs and use it. Don't us it anywhere else on other logs.

I have about 89 FTF's now, but started late with the above advice given to myself. My FTF find logs all had the FTF phrase, but when I was second to find or third, my logs read such as this: "I could have had FTF but Joe beat me by ten minutes." It took me hours to glean all those non-ftf logs with the FTF in them. I finally got it right now and make it a practice to NEVER use 'FTF" in a log that's NOT an FTF. I'll say something like: "I could have had first to find, but Joe got there before me!"

With a premium membership, you can create a bookmark list for your FTF caches.

Yup, some of us like the thrill of trying to get to a new listing first. It's why GC implemented "NOTIFICATIONS" and I like that.....

I'm an FTF hound, but have slowed down recently due to gas prices....

There's an individual in this area who lives for the FTF. The chances of her getting the FTF spot are so high that I left a special FTF prize in my latest cache that I knew she would particularly enjoy (I'm sure others would have liked it too, but might have been a bit perplexed).

The publication notice popped up on her Blackberry while she was standing in a check-out line and she almost just bailed out to get to the cache! Calmly, she completed her purchase, drove home to get her GPS, then drove the 20 miles to the cache. It was an easy one, and she had signed the log probably within a half hour of the cache publication. She's logged finds as early as 5:30am.

Recently she had hidden one that was right on my way to work. I figured I had a chance, so I went for it at 7:45am only to find that another very vigorous cacher had been there an hour and a half before me.

I'm not that determined and will take any find whenever I can, but she was nice enough to hide a cache in my neighborhood that I couldn't fail to get the FTF (unless I had been out of town or something). It may be my one and only, but you never know, when the timing is just right...

You are just starting out so you are lucky. Make sure you RESERVE the phrase FTF for you ftf logs and use it. Don't us it anywhere else on other logs.

Here's the CacheStats program. By default it searches for the acronym FTF, then shows you every log where you used it so you can decide whether is was really an FTF or just a log where you mentioned the acronym. You can tell pretty quickly which it is and click a Yes/No button. Using it I made a list of my FTFs in about five minutes.

You are just starting out so you are lucky. Make sure you RESERVE the phrase FTF for you ftf logs and use it. Don't us it anywhere else on other logs.

Here's the CacheStats program. By default it searches for the acronym FTF, then shows you every log where you used it so you can decide whether is was really an FTF or just a log where you mentioned the acronym. You can tell pretty quickly which it is and click a Yes/No button. Using it I made a list of my FTFs in about five minutes.

I must have an old version as I don't believe it gave me the opportunity to filter them like that.... or I may have been using something else..... it was a while ago...

Anyway, now I only put FTF in an ftf!