http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=calendar

I need help downloading the way points from Geocaching.com to my gps. I currently have the Earthmate PN-20 from De Leorme. I have downloaded the easy gps software from geocaching.com and I can pull up the information. When I go to upload the waypoints it says to add the gps. I attempt to download it and it cannot find my gps. Before that I had problems getting the way points onto my desktop. Can anyone help me figure out what program I can use to download the waypoints to my GPS. Thank you

I have not used EasyGPS, but getting Geocaching.com waypoints to the PN20 is a 3 step procedure:

1. From geocaching.com, select the 20 or so geocaches you want to download and save them to any folder on your hard drive. (you will only be able to save one page of cache files at a time unless you are a premium member) It will save them as a .LOC flie on your hd.

2. Open Delorme Topo USA map program and IMPORT the .loc file from your hd. That saves your cache waypoints within Topo USA.

3. Connect your PN20 to your pc via USB and do an EXCHANGE function in Topo USA to transfer the .loc file info to your PN20. Should only take a minute or two and the Cache waypoints will then be visible on your PN20.

Thanks for helping out geoprincesss!

Manny&tiffy, let me know if you still have questions about exchanging data with the PN-20.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Hi I am having the hardest time attempting to download the way-points to any file including the topo maps. This is what I have done. I have downloaded several programs including easy GPS, GPS swiss army and several others. Once I download way points from the geocaching web site I save it to a file on my desktop. The saved waypoints file shows only a white paper with the geocaching on it. I cannot open it with Topo Maps. It will show on easy GPS but I cannot load it to my Earthmate PN-20. It says that it is not compatible. What can I do so that I can get the way points downloaded to my GPS. I followed the instructions that geoprincesss left for me but it is not working out for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks again.

Thanks for helping out geoprincesss!

Manny&tiffy, let me know if you still have questions about exchanging data with the PN-20.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Hi I am having the hardest time attempting to download the way-points to any file including the topo maps. This is what I have done. I have downloaded several programs including easy GPS, GPS swiss army and several others. Once I download way points from the geocaching web site I save it to a file on my desktop. The saved waypoints file shows only a white paper with the geocaching on it. I cannot open it with Topo Maps. It will show on easy GPS but I cannot load it to my Earthmate PN-20. It says that it is not compatible. What can I do so that I can get the way points downloaded to my GPS. I followed the instructions that geoprincesss left for me but it is not working out for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks again.

Manny&tiffy,

I suspect your difficulty is with operating the interface between TopoUSA and your PN20, and possibly getting more confused with external programs like EasyGPS and GSAK which aren't necessary for loading basic Geocache waypoints to your PN20.

Chip Noble (DeLorme Staff Member) offered to help and has been an excellent resource for PN20 users. I'd suggest taking his offer to assist and emailing him privately via his post above.

Also, DeLorme has an EXCELLENT forum for helping PN20 and TOPO USA users. For help with specific PN20 or related products, consider posting to their site directly at http://forum.delorme.com/index.php

Take the GPX file from Geocaching.com and drop it on the Topo USA map, drag and drop the actual file, just like you would a file you wanted to put in a new folder. Dragging and dropping will open the file automatically.

The longer way around would be to use Draw then press File and Import. Change the file type at the bottom to GPX and then import your geocache file. I prefer drag and drop, since it is much faster.

Once you've imported the file just use the Exchange Dialog button in the toolbar or the GPS tab or the Handheld Export tab to send the waypoints. Make sure the PN-20 is turned on and connected with the PN-20 data cable. If you have things set up properly you'll see the contents of your PN-20 on the right and the contents of your Topo project on the left... just pick what you want to send and receive and you'll be ready to go!

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme