Spoiler picture. Need Advice.

We need to ask advice for this cache a second time. “Tripple Swing” GC18WNT

After a number of DNF’s it was suggested in the forums that we raise the difficulty level up. We did.

The difficulty level is directly related to the fact that the container blends in so well with its surroundings. A finder who is fairly new to geocaching recently posted a spoiler to the gallery. A good picture but definitely a spoiler. We have no doubt that their intentions were good. They just like taking pictures of cache containers. So do we if it does not give anything away.

We see a few options:

1. Email politely to the finder and ask them to please remove the picture and explain why.

Problem. We don’t want to discourage this new geocacher from taking future pictures.

2. Drop the difficulty rating back down.

Problem. For those who have found it at the higher difficulty rating it messes with their stats. We are not big on stats but we know some are. Kind of a fairness issue for past and future seekers.

3. There is the option to let it ride and do nothing.

We could use a little advice. Yes. This does allow anybody who looks at the gallery because of this post in the forums to see the spoiler picture. Thats okay. If you are willing to spend the money on gas to visit our neck of the woods, email us and we will meet you there to swap some tales.

Option 1 was our first gut reaction until we started thinking a little more. How would someone new to the game react to an email asking them politely to remove a picture no matter how carefully worded. Maybe we are just over thinking the issue.

I agree with the others, and I wouldn't stress too much. If they understand that you don't want photos that give away the hide, why would that upset them? They just didn't realize it, and now they do - and it may help educate them on protocol for future finds (i.e., don't give away the hide in your logs/pics).

I'm not that worried about upsetting folks that posted a spoiler pic. If you, as the cache owner, wanted people to have "a better idea of where it is and what it's like" you would have described the container or posted a picture yourself. For the finder to do so is selfishness on their part.

It's very close to saying, "I found this one, but other people probably won't be able to, so let me help. It would be too difficult for future finders to be successful without my help, even though I was able to find it"

Some cachers do similar things by tying ribbons to trees, laying rocks in an arrow shape, pushing sticks in the ground near the cache, etc., and then mentioning in their log what the next cachers should look for.

If it were me, I would have deleted the log immediately and then sent a polite email explaining why, and invite the finder to re-log their find without the spoiler.

Option 1 was our first gut reaction until we started thinking a little more. How would someone new to the game react to an email asking them politely to remove a picture no matter how carefully worded. Maybe we are just over thinking the issue.

You can't be resposible for how they may react. Yeah, you're over-thinking it.

"While we really appreciate those that take time to post photos to their logs, we would rather you not post pictures that show the nature of the hide, and would like to ask you to please remove the photo that you posted on our cache recently. Thanks, and please continue posting pictures!!"

As they're new, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and simply send them an email and ask them to please remove the picture explaining that as the cache owner, part of the difficulty and joy of doing the cache is the uniqueness of the container and the picture unfortunately spoils that. You can try explaining that posting a spoiler log or picture is considered inappropriate -- but I might save that until after you get their initial response. If they respond with an "oops, sorry", then you can explain as a way to help them better understand the nuances of the game. If they seem uncooperative or react poorly, I'd just unceremoniously delete the log with not further interaction -- it is, afterall, the cache owner's perogative to determine who meets the logging requirements -- and then perhaps adding a disclaimer to your writeup that says spoiler logs or pictures will be deleted.

I know if I put a lot of work into a unique hide, I'd be a bit miffed if someone gave it away.

After a number of DNF’s it was suggested in the forums that we raise the difficulty level up. We did.

The difficulty level is directly related to the fact that the container blends in so well with its surroundings. A finder who is fairly new to geocaching recently posted a spoiler to the gallery. A good picture but definitely a spoiler. We have no doubt that their intentions were good. They just like taking pictures of cache containers. So do we if it does not give anything away.

We see a few options:

1. Email politely to the finder and ask them to please remove the picture and explain why.

Problem. We don’t want to discourage this new geocacher from taking future pictures.

Problem. For those who have found it at the higher difficulty rating it messes with their stats. We are not big on stats but we know some are. Kind of a fairness issue for past and future seekers.

We could use a little advice. Yes. This does allow anybody who looks at the gallery because of this post in the forums to see the spoiler picture. Thats okay. If you are willing to spend the money on gas to visit our neck of the woods, email us and we will meet you there to swap some tales.

If it were me, I would have deleted the log immediately and then sent a polite email explaining why, and invite the finder to re-log their find without the spoiler.

I will go along with this option. ^^^^^

I have pictures of some of my hides which I may e-mail to newbies after they log a DNF, but that is as far as it goes. For someone else to put up a pic is just plain rude.

I have pictures of some of my hides which I may e-mail to newbies after they log a DNF, but that is as far as it goes. For someone else to put up a pic is just plain rude.

I'll agree to this. The difficulty is in the hide (of which you're proud.) The longer the offending photo stays on the page, the better chance I have to print out that photo! Oops... ;) Don't let the newby spoil the hunt for others. Delete first. Then e-mail to explain why you deleted the find, and encourage him/her to relog without the picture.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

I would suggest option 1. They may actually thank you for helping them learn a little more about geocaching/logging ettiquite, or they may overreact and get pissy about it. If the latter, be sure to refer them to these forums so that they can complain about the meanie cache owner that wanted them to modify their log.

Me too. I've done that a couple times. In the note I send I always include their original log text, so they don't have to type it in again. I just request that the picture not be uploaded again and/or the text edited, depending on what was spoiled.

We see a few options:

It's a no brainer to me; if you don't want the picture to be there ask them to take it down. I'd ask nice, but still. It's your cache, you call the shots.

BTW: I love the container!

Edited by lrosell

As someone not quite new to the game, but still without a lot of experience, I can tell you that I have appreciated people telling me when I have done something considered to ba a geocaching faux pas. I believe your cacher probably didn't mean any harm, but I think most people would agree that the photo posted would ruin the hunt for those seeking a challenge. Also, from what I saw, I don't think you should lower the rating. The cache may blend in pretty well to its surroundings, but it's not impossible to find either.

I would email the cacher and explain that you appreciate their enthusiasm and hope that they continue with their photography efforts, but that the picture they posted would serve to spoil the hunt for others. If I received such an email, I don't think I would be offended or discouraged at all. It would open my eyes to something I probably hadn't considered when I posted the photo in the first place. Telling them politely will also serve to educate them so that they don't do the same thing to other caches.

I am the other half of 1fairygirl & gonegeofishing. Thanks everyone for all the great advice. We opted for door #1. email sent. Waiting for reply. I did put on my nicey nice hat. Initially "my" response was to delete the log. I am glad I did not. Thanks Knowschad. We tweaked your quote a bit. For some reason this hide has been the most fun to read logs from. Wanted it to stay that way without changing anything. It is a bugger to spot. Even for us. Thanks again.

We see a few options:

1fairygirl , I thik I was just in your neck of the woods a couple weeks ago??? did you send a little angel bear TB on a journey? if so I picked him up and moved him/her north a ways, ps I would agree e-mail & ask them to make a change, it's not what you say but how you say it and i'm betting you have the tack to do it well...

Somebody will need to talk with this cacher. I looked at her picture gallery, and it appears she often takes pictures of the cache and location. ;) Out of thirty or so finds, she has posted pictures of the cache and location on nine or ten.

Um, yeah...if you want to do that for your own little personal collection, that's cool. But don't post them on the site!

Leonw

1fairygirl is at work all day so I will respond to your statement. I could not agree more. Especially since I just noticed she just posted more pictures. Grrrr!!! Some are other caches she has done of ours. We have sent a couple of emails but have had no response. Our hides are already compromised. Deleting her logs is not going to help her understand when it is necessary to avoid taking a picture of a cache container. Opening up a dialogue with her hopefully will. We hope that she does not compromise any other hides of anyone elses. The caches are still in place and not muggled. That is something to be thankful for. I have to admit my patience is running thin after seeing the new pictures. :) This is a new cacher who needs to be educated. Not tarred and feathered. Maybe just shaving cream and feathers. :):)

We have sent a couple of emails but have had no response. Our hides are already compromised.

If the offending cacher is not responding, I think you'd be perfectly justified in deleting the log (or in your case "logs"). If nothing else will get her attention, that will. If I had a hide that I spent a lot of time putting together to make it challenging and somebody posted a blatant spoiler picture, I would have deleted it the moment I saw it regardless of how much of a newbie the cacher was - but that's me. Sometimes the stick is the better choice than carrot (or saying Pretty Please).

Matt

This cacher? has compromised at least a dozen finds with his/her pictures lately. OK, I snooped also and went to the gallery. At this point, it would serve the newbie justice if every hider deleted the find logs just on that alone.

Maybe it would be an immediate heads up to the offender.

Or, perhaps the cacher? is a dummy account just spoiling to upset the applecart, so to say.

I generally take pics of the cache in it's original location, but these are housed safely on my computer for my own personal enjoyment. As a cacher who loves taking pictures, whenever I find a cache I immediately look around for a view to include in my log. These never give away details of the cache. I hate it when people give me the answer without giving me the chance to figure it out for myself! Obviously this cacher has no clue that she is ruining it for everyone and needs to be told. Let her know photos of the area are acceptable, photos of the cache are not!

Wow, I would delete her logs. She's ruined a few caches that I would probably end up finding on a trip back down to CA and/or to see a family friend in that area of WA.

This is a holiday weekend, so it's doubtful that you'll get a response anytime soon. The last time she logged in was 6 days ago when she logged her last finds. I hope you get this worked out.

Hey gonegeofising:

I think you're doing the right thing here. I'm sure you feel bad deleting the logs and I agree it would have been nice if you could simply delete the offending photos, but you are obviously not looking to be mean-spirited. You've tried to contact her already and it might be that she has not yet seen the emails for whatever reason or maybe uses a new address now, but deleting the logs might help to flush her out. As I said previously, I'm sure it's more of an oversight on her part than intentionally spoiling the game for someone else. If she contacts you, explain your feelings in a non-confrontational way and either she will respond positively (which is what I expect will happen) or she will tell you off, but at least then you will know that you handled the situation as gracefully as possible. This is not really a life or death matter, I'm sure it will work out to everyone's satisfaction.

Nashuan

I'm new to this sport, and I can easily say that I would want to know immediately if I was stepping on anyone's toes, or in some way tarnishing other folks' experience with a cache.

I wouldn't be discouraged, or offended at all if a cache owner deleted my log and emailed me with a reason why. How else would I learn? :D

I'm new to this sport, and I can easily say that I would want to know immediately if I was stepping on anyone's toes, or in some way tarnishing other folks' experience with a cache.

I wouldn't be discouraged, or offended at all if a cache owner deleted my log and emailed me with a reason why. How else would I learn? :D

That's exactly what happened to me when I was a newbie and had made my first FTF. I was so overjoyed that I took some "revealing" pictures and added them to my FTF log. The owner politely emailed me that although I had them encrypted most cachers immediately immediately decrypt everything and that the pictures would give away too much. He politely asked me to delete them from my log which I did and it helped with my learning curve.

We're now good caching friends and laugh about the whole thing. Since the cache is so creative and my camera was better than his he asked for copies of the pictures in their original size. :D

WOW, I just checked this cache page again. Apparently she has re-logged the cache, with the picture! :D

The first time she posted it, it may have been from inexperience. However, there is no excuse to repost, with the picture, after you were told to remove the picture!

Some people.

Honestly?

I think you probably called more attention to the pic by posting here than you would have had you just left it be.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't look at the pics often and the log drops off the active page after 5 logs and the ones on page two never even get looked at with me.

As for the gallery... I look sometimes, but not so often.

I kind of think you called more attention to it here than you would have otherwise!

Anyway, good luck!

Naomi

A few thoughts:

• NOw that you've started the process you might want to follow through. Keep deleting the log until she complies. Doing it once and then giving up would tell me you weren't all that committed to the issue. Stick to your guns.
  • The cacher in question is young. She may (I say may as I don't know) not have the maturity to accept her mistake gracefully. Treat the situation accordingly.
  • The rating for the cache seems a bit generous. A three stars for something of that nature is a bit generous, IMHO. (Yes, I know that screws up some folks' Fizzy Challenge, if one is all you got...)

Honestly?

I think you probably called more attention to the pic by posting here than you would have had you just left it be.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't look at the pics often and the log drops off the active page after 5 logs and the ones on page two never even get looked at with me.

As for the gallery... I look sometimes, but not so often.

I kind of think you called more attention to it here than you would have otherwise!

Anyway, good luck!

Naomi

Quite possibly, but most of the cachers seeking this (or ANY) cache won't have seen this forum thread.

A few thoughts:

• Now that you've started the process you might want to follow through. Keep deleting the log until she complies. Doing it once and then giving up would tell me you weren't all that committed to the issue. Stick to your guns.
  • The cacher in question is young. She may (I say may as I don't know) not have the maturity to accept her mistake gracefully. Treat the situation accordingly.
  • The rating for the cache seems a bit generous. A three stars for something of that nature is a bit generous, IMHO. (Yes, I know that screws up some folks' Fizzy Challenge, if one is all you got...)

And as well another follow-up message that you don't want the photo of the container posted, and if you did you would post one yourself. Make it clear that the photo is the issue.