Itching to get started

adding2n2is5

I had never heard of geocaching until about a week ago when eating dinner with friends that were traveling through. I had mentioned about recently getting a GPS for my car and they asked if I was going to get into geocaching. I told them I had never heard of it. They don't do it but they either know someone who does or have read/seen something about it.

A couple days later I remembered the conversation and decided to search about it. I came across the geocaching.com website and read up on it and read through some of this forum. I started looking through caches in the area and was surprised by the number of them. In the past 3 days, I haven't been able to stop reading up on geocaching and searching on the website about the ones in the area.

I so want to go out and find a bunch in this area but my auto gps isn't suitable for geocaching. I feel that some of the caches in the area I could probably find without the gps by using the maps and stuff but I'm not sure I want to try and then get discouraged if I can't find them. I really don't have the money right now to buy a gps for this sport, although I've been doing a lot of searching and research. Even though I am a tech geek and like to have the coolest toys (that i can afford), I think I would be fine with the Garmin eTrex H. I don't need it for routing since I already have a gps for my car... I would only need something to get me to the cache. What do the rest of you think?

How did the rest of you get started?

Welcome!

I started in a somewhat similar way as you. A buddy of mine took me out caching. We spend about 2 hours driving and getting lost, 45 minutes searching for the cache, and finally found it. A few days later I ordered my GPS and headed out to a cache near my work. I arrived at the parking, and had no idea how to enter coordinates. Luckily I had the manual and was off. Got my premium membership just a few days after that.

You could try and do some based on the maps on the site and the hint, but you would be suprised that what seems simple at the computer, you get to the area and it seems daunting, but give it a shot. Why not?

The etrex H should be fine. It hooks up to the computer using a serial cable, so you would need to buy a serial to usb adapter to download waypoints to it. Entering points by hand is fine at first, but if you have more than 2 to do, and want to avoid extremely easy to make typos, you will want to hook it up to your computer.

I started with the etrex Vista, and am thinking of upgrading to the SummitHC.

You could try and do some based on the maps on the site and the hint, but you would be suprised that what seems simple at the computer, you get to the area and it seems daunting, but give it a shot. Why not?

I will probably wait but it is going to kill me especially since I don't know when I will be able to get a GPSr.

I see that walmart has the eTrex H online for $85. I also see that amazon has the Venture HC for $117 which seems like a great deal.

We got started when I bought my husband a gps to use for his work (he was a long-haul truck driver then).

The model you are looking is one you might outgrow very quickly--it doesn't have base maps which really do help find caches, especially when you get a bit farther away from the road (Of course, I've been out caching with people who used the tiny little garmin geko and they found caches just fine, but they'd also been doing this for a few years).

It does at least have the high sensitivity receiver, and unlike the geko, it will connect to your computer via a cable to download cache coordinates--although you need to be aware that's a serial connection. Many newer computers don't have a serial port so you have to use an adaptor).

On the other hand, just moving up to the models haht come with the basic maps will make a huge difference. By order of additional cost/added features:

The Venture HC has a base map and can take additional maps

The Legend HCx is the same as above and has an expansion card (can load even more caches as POIs)

The eTrex Vista HCx is the same as above plus it has electronic compass and barometer

And if you do end up buying a unit that will take maps, adding topo maps (about $80) would improve you ability to find caches off road--adding city maps would let you have a portable navigation system (handy for times when you are out with friends and not using your car with the built-in). If you think you might use both topo and city maps, do buy one of the expandale ("x") units.

I received a GPSr as a Christmas present mostly for hiking and didn't use it much until I happened upon an article on Geocaching ... and thus started the addiction. So, I had my GPSr before I went for my first search. However, I know those that have done this without a GPSr and are in fact quite good at it (it is definitely more difficult, but if you find some easy difficulty hides in an area where there are some good landmarks from which you can work using maps and satellite imagery, you might have a reasonable shot at some success).

One suggestion would be to find someone locally who might be willing to let you tag along on a cache excursion. Have you searched for any events in your area in the near future? That would be a good way to meet up with some local cachers and I am more than willing to bet they'd be glad to some you the ropes. You won't need a GPSr to find the event usually -- the location is usually in the writeup in addition to the coordinates.

As for a basic started GPS, just about any handheld will do ... pick up a cheap on on eBay (like a Legend or a Yellow) ... but understand that if you get into this, you may quickly outgrow the unit or be hungry for extra features.

Good luck.

I had never heard of geocaching until about a week ago when eating dinner with friends that were traveling through. I had mentioned about recently getting a GPS for my car and they asked if I was going to get into geocaching. I told them I had never heard of it. They don't do it but they either know someone who does or have read/seen something about it.

A couple days later I remembered the conversation and decided to search about it. I came across the geocaching.com website and read up on it and read through some of this forum. I started looking through caches in the area and was surprised by the number of them. In the past 3 days, I haven't been able to stop reading up on geocaching and searching on the website about the ones in the area.

I so want to go out and find a bunch in this area but my auto gps isn't suitable for geocaching. I feel that some of the caches in the area I could probably find without the gps by using the maps and stuff but I'm not sure I want to try and then get discouraged if I can't find them. I really don't have the money right now to buy a gps for this sport, although I've been doing a lot of searching and research. Even though I am a tech geek and like to have the coolest toys (that i can afford), I think I would be fine with the Garmin eTrex H. I don't need it for routing since I already have a gps for my car... I would only need something to get me to the cache. What do the rest of you think?

You may be suprised at how well you can do with a car GPS - many people in this forum use car GPSs or started with them. (What brand/model do you you have - there may be people here who can give you some advice. )

Also there are a number of experienced people here who do their geocaching completely without a GPS at all, or who - like us - started without a GPS. We did our first few just with good local knowledge and good use of hints, logs & thorough reading of cache pages.

I'd say give it a go!

Annie

You may be suprised at how well you can do with a car GPS - many people in this forum use car GPSs or started with them. (What brand/model do you you have - there may be people here who can give you some advice. )

Also there are a number of experienced people here who do their geocaching completely without a GPS at all, or who - like us - started without a GPS. We did our first few just with good local knowledge and good use of hints, logs & thorough reading of cache pages.

I'd say give it a go!

Annie

I have a navigon 2100 which does have a pedestrian mode. The one thing that would probably make it difficult is that you can't enter coordinates although you can have it show you current or waypoint/poi coordinates. So I could either pinpoint as close as possible to the cache and mark it and use that or I could have it show the current coordinates and move north/south east/west until I get the coordinates as close as possible and start looking. I might give it a try at an easy one to see how it does.

Another thought - see if there is an event occurring that you can attend. You ought to be able to find the place on a map even without a GSPr. Post that you'll attend, that you're a newbie, state your situation, and politely ask if anyone is interested in "showing you the ropes".

Chances are you'll have plenty of offers to join them for caching afterwards (depending on when the event ends).

Good morning... I'm not sure I'm doing this right as I am new to this myself and just getting familiar with the forums. This is my first reply and have yet to learn how to post a question myself...

I prob have about a month on you, I thought I'd reply; I started in June ('08) and luckily have a tech acquaintance who has helped me immensely... i do well once I know what i'm doing, but finding my way is where i get lost... ! Depending on what you are looking for, and if it's only to get tot eh cache, simple is good...

With the help of my friend I was able to find on Kijiji (by/sell/trading website) a brand new Garmin eTrex VentureCx GPS. It is great for what I need.. it's gonna take a while to get used to everything there is to know about geocaching. My machine is about a $200-$250 machine and I got it for $100 from a guy who was new as well, and already upgrading. My friend has downloaded some stuff for me onto it, maps, etc. that are really useful. I had the basics prior to last week, and used it this weekend with the downloaded information...it was very useful. A basic eTrex (black and white screen) i priced at Wal-Mart for $98 (+tax) so I am extremely excited and happy with what I was able to get.

A word of caution - buyer beware; as with any second hand item... :D

On a semi-related note: The thing I've found in starting out with this, is I need more patience and time to learn. I'm not a big technology buff, and trying to learn my way around any website takes more time than i seem to have, and i never seem to have found info i needed when I'm done. Unfortunately, the geocache website is turning out to be the same. No time to properly meander thru, to find what I need. I learn best being able to be with others who know what they're doing, and see, and ask questions ... it is easy to get discouraged when you're alone trying to learn techno machines and lingo, and manouever around websites that seem to keep bringing you back to where you started...but I'm still here. :D

I wish you well with finding a GPS and caching. I have found 4 to date and wish i knew more of what I need to know... but it's coming. Having said that... I live in Riverview, NB (Canada...not even sure where I'm at on the site here, replying to this!) and if anyone nearby is interested in a complete amateur tagging along to learn more... feel free to contact me.

gcrosie

From the very first moment a friend told me about geocaching, I said "I WANNA PLAY!! It was a while before I got my GPS but I've loved it ever since. Who could NOT love a treasure hunt??

I use what most people consider a car navigation unit. Garmin Quest. It is removeable to use as a handheld. It works just fine. So I have the best of both worlds...voice guided car navigation AND a geocaching unit. I love my Quest even though it makes me a bit of an oddball amongst cachers. You know...HORIZONTAL SCREEN...ohhh noooo! :)

Oh you are in for so much fun!

My only regret is not having all that much time to spend out caching. Today I got my first find in quite a while.

Just wait til you find yourself always pointing out cache locations to your friends as you drive by in a car. It's a compulsion.

Sadly, none of my friends are into it. :(

My advice would be to start with the caches in your immediate area. Look at the maps carefully and read all the postings... Since you are familiar with the area you will have a feeling where to look..We've found 4 caches close to home this way while waiting for our GPSr to get here..It just came tonight so we're looking forward to figuring out how to use it...Happy Hunting!!

The only other cachers that I've met (I'm fairly new) don't seem to have any trouble finding caches with a car mounted unit (at least according to some of their logs). I guess they can hand enter coords into their unit.

When you research local caches read the finders logs and hider descriptions/hints. Look of things like "easy park and grab (PNG)" or "magnetic". These are usually next to roads. The magnetic micros and nanos are sticking to something metal. Make sure to have a pen handy for these little boogers because they usually have only a logbook. It's a bummer to find one and not be able to sign the log. Been there, done that. :)

Just getting started here, as well. I took my daughters with me to help my sister move last month. When the last box was unloaded she suggested mom stay with the younger two and her and I take the older two for a little fun and did we have hiking shoes and bug spray. I almost vetoed the trip as it was late and going into the woods near dusk didn't seem smart after a long day. She won and I'm glad, we found one of the three we were looking for and the girls LOVED the treasure hunt!

Just tonight I am trying to figure out what kind of GPS to buy. My husband and I decided it would be a nice anniversary gift to each other (ten years...a few nights away from the girls would be nice, but why not get something that will keep giving!) Our budget is around $150 and right now we are looking at the Garmin Venture HC. We are not sure what we are doing, really, but are excited to get started! We have done some letterboxing so this is a bit of a high-tech step beyond it.

trying traditional

www.tryingtraditional.wordpress.com