Do you think its lame to put out paper geocoin versions?

AU96Alum

I think we'd all rather see the real thing, but I understand why folks send out paper coins.

I do grab the paper coins, as I like collecting the icons. I've got a couple of coins myself that folks can discover if they meet me, but I won't be sending them out.............they're too cool to get lost/stolen.

I just grabbed my first paper coin and now I have that empty feeling rolling around inside me. The associated tag said it was a "Replacement Travel Bug Dog Tag" for Tommy Trojan's "Happy Glow II". It also said that before retiring, he had more TBs than anyone else in the world (677 TB's plus 142 conis). Now, if this were a real coin or bug, I would be experiencing a little bit of awe right now. I'd be thinking:

"Yes, I had a pretty good day today. I hit a few caches and found this really awesome TB from someone who has a lot of TB's out there. It has weight, it has presence. Man if this TB could only speak. All the miles it's traveled (18,710 miles), the places it's been. It has a huge family of siblings - all traveling around the planet"

Instead, all I have is a laminated sheet of paper and an empty feeling :D

I'll pass it on, buy I WON"T LIKE IT AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME :D

As a new cacher (only 4 months old) and a newer coin addict (2 weeks!) I don't know how much my opinion will matter, but here it is.

I LOVE finding TBs and coins in caches. I LOVE checking their pages and seeing where they've been and looking at photos that cachers have taken of them. However, after sending my first TB out in the wild and having the first cacher not log his miles properly, I'm already disappointed in that.

As for the coins, I REALLY don't want to lose mine so I won't be releasing my favorites. And I think that's a shame. I have a beautiful Dark Side of the Cache coin and a Proximity coin and the cutest glow-in-the-dark Found It! and DNF micros (just to name a couple) that maybe some people will never even know exists because we're all afraid to share them. Are the real coins better than paper? You betcha! but as Bhob said....."Given a choice between a copy and nothing at all, I will take the copy every time".

I picked up a very nice Vermont proxy coin the other day and although I would have preferred the real thing, I enjoyed seeing what it looked like.

There have been a LOT of coins minted. Please send copies of yours rather than hide them away. I want to see them ALL!! I might even decide to buy or trade for one based on seeing a copy.

Tooey, you did a nice job with yours. Although I'd love to see the moun10girl for real, I'd appreciate finding this in a cache, and the time and effort you put into sending it out there.

There have been a LOT of coins minted. Please send copies of yours rather than hide them away. I want to see them ALL!! I might even decide to buy or trade for one based on seeing a copy.

Tooey, you did a nice job with yours. Although I'd love to see the moun10girl for real, I'd appreciate finding this in a cache, and the time and effort you put into sending it out there.

Thank you Nikon-ing - I agree with your sentiments also. I believe if you are going to send out a lame copy, try and make it look as good as you can, no it won't be the real thing, but do put some effort into it and you may just be rewarded, without losing your coins.

For the die hards that just don't like 'em - I'm sorry, but I'm more sorry about all the coins that get stolen, at least this way we still get to share, which is what I believe they were intended for in the first place.

Hey Nikon-ing:

Welcome to the forum, I don't think I've had the pleasure yet to meet you so to speak.

You said: "after sending my first TB out in the wild and having the first cacher not log his miles properly, I'm already disappointed in that." Believe me, we all feel for you because we've all been there. You don't need to be in the game long before you find one that's improperly logged or that it happens to your own coin. It's unfortunate, but it's going to happen, like caches being muggled.

You also said "As for the coins, I REALLY don't want to lose mine so I won't be releasing my favorites. And I think that's a shame. I have a beautiful Dark Side of the Cache coin and a Proximity coin and the cutest glow-in-the-dark Found It! and DNF micros (just to name a couple) that maybe some people will never even know exists because we're all afraid to share them."." It's a great point and essentially gets down to the heart of what we're talking about on this issue. You have coins that are particularly near and dear to your heart that you would like to share with other people but don't want them lost either. I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping your favorites and releasing other coins purchased for just that task. There have been threads on this forum asking how much your collection weighs that has received answers in the hundreds of pounds! Obviously, most people are not going to release every coin they have. Unfortunately, if you activate coins and make copies, your "activated coin" just became a little less commercially valuable if you wanted to sell it or trade it off, so many people don't activate the majority of their stock. Currently, I have about 150 coins, but only about a hald dozen activated TBs. I would love to share some of mine with the geocaching community, but won't activate most of them in case I want to offload them at a later time. Actually, I really like most of my coins and hate to part with ANY of them, but that's why I buy doubles.

However, as much as I don't like paper, I'll admit, that there's an element to discovering a coin you would never have seen otherwise that I appreciate. Be it paper or the real thing, it's cool to see a coin I have never seen before. As Tooey showed though, you can at least put some effort into your replacement to make it a little more "coin-like". I have yet to pass on moving any coin, and will probably continue moving paper, but like most, I really want the real thing. I also have to admit, that seeing my first paper one last night, tempted me to just discover what it looked like from the sheet and leave it for someone else to move.

Edited by nashuan

Hey guys. Thanks for the welcome and it is nice to finally 'speak' to you all. :D

I'm glad tigerboys started this thread. Although it may be like beating a dead horse for you old timers, it's a new topic for me and a problem I've been struggling with since I really want to share my coins!

Athough I'm new to the game, it's my impression that the majority of cachers are easy-going, fun-loving people and if you don't like the copies, just leave them for someone else. If you don't mind them, then take them, log them and let the owner know how much you appreciated seeing them.

That sentiment seems to be exactly what you all are saying.

If you're brave or rich enough to send them out there, thank you! If you're more like me (chicken and poor) then take a look at tooey's idea or the Vermont coin I recently found.

(I have to agree with some of you that a laminated photo just wouldn't do it for me.)

Hi,

I have just released copies of my first geocoins into caches. I've read some of the threads.

One thing I didn't understand was "get the icon"--what does that mean? I know that the coins come with a little icon on their page, but on all my lists for my profile (I've found two geocoins at least), I don't see a page showing all the icons on one page. So I was confused at what this meant. What am I missing?

Results so far--one person thought the copy was a great idea, one seemed disappointed, but yet retrieved it and took it from the cache it was in, and one that discovered it and left it in the cache, yet said it was a nice coin. That covers quite a spectrum.

I think people seem to cache for different reasons and enjoy different facets more than others so you can't make everyone happy. The "collector" in me (for example, sports cards) absolutely does not allow me to deface my coins in any way and send them out.

Every time I've retrieved a coin (and a TB), I've felt very responsible for it. Trying to find caches that were relatively safe as I could find. If I found a paper coin, I would feel less pressure, but still responsbile for it.

Well, anyway, was just trying to find out what "get the icon" meant?

thanks,

kris

Hi,

I have just released copies of my first geocoins into caches. I've read some of the threads.

One thing I didn't understand was "get the icon"--what does that mean? I know that the coins come with a little icon on their page, but on all my lists for my profile (I've found two geocoins at least), I don't see a page showing all the icons on one page. So I was confused at what this meant. What am I missing?

Results so far--one person thought the copy was a great idea, one seemed disappointed, but yet retrieved it and took it from the cache it was in, and one that discovered it and left it in the cache, yet said it was a nice coin. That covers quite a spectrum.

I think people seem to cache for different reasons and enjoy different facets more than others so you can't make everyone happy. The "collector" in me (for example, sports cards) absolutely does not allow me to deface my coins in any way and send them out.

Every time I've retrieved a coin (and a TB), I've felt very responsible for it. Trying to find caches that were relatively safe as I could find. If I found a paper coin, I would feel less pressure, but still responsbile for it.

thanks,

kris

When you click on someones profile, and then click on the 'Trackables" tab, it will show you the icons of all the tb's and coins they have moved, discovered, or own. Some people are really into icons..they want as many as possible! (nothing wrong with that, that's just what they like!!)

Hi,

thanks,

kris

"Get the icon" means to have the coins icon added to your Moved/Discovered page of your profile. When you discover or move a trackable you get the coin's icon on that page. It also keeps track of how many of each type of coin you have found.

It's been said in many threads many times, but there are going to be no "right" answers for this. The best thing you can do, IMO, is if you have a paper "coin" out there, make sure that it has a description about why it is a proxy, and note in its title "name" that it is a proxy.

I've been waiting for the 2 coins I've sent to the wild on missions to return to their missions. Instead, some numbskull out there stole them. I'm about ready to send out some kind of proxy--paper or some kind of trinket--to get their missions accomplished. I'm just ticked that they have been stolen. Of all the coins I own, the two given to missions in the wild have been stolen. Talk about reluctant to get them in the wild! I'm only able to speak to my own feelings, and they are that I'm not cool with sending more coins that I cherish to meet their demise. I'm surprised and confused at how some coins get THOUSANDS of miles, and mine went missing after no more than a few caches.

So, I'm thinking my proxies will be sent in honor of my lost coins, and I will note clearly on all parts of the new returning travellers what they are. To me, the mission is more important than the metal in your hand. Sucks to say, but I understand when I find a proxy in the field.

Sinking feeling when I pull it from the cache? Sure. Happy to move it on its mission? Darn tootin.

jm2c

One thing I've started doing lately when I pick up a coin from a cache is to include a thank you on the log to the coin owner for keeping the joy of finding a coin in a cache alive in this game. :(

I have nothing against proxies (although I do think it should be stated on the traveler's page clearly) and have moved a few myself. But I have to agree with those who've said it's just not the same thrill as handling the coin. I do admit that I did briefly consider it when I was new to geocoin collecting and was having a hard time parting with my new coins. But now I just love reading the logs from people who retrieve or discover one of my coins when you can tell they think they are really cool. It always makes me smile. :)

Hmm, that's weird. Even for the coins I've retrieved and dropped off in a cache, the icon I have looks like a travel bug--the bug icon.

Other people are seeing actual little icons on a list???

kris

I can see your icons. Click on your user name to get to your profile. Then click on the trackables tag. There they are! :(

Yeah well, I just had two of my coins go missing in the first week.....grrrr and no one has logged it out. I asked all 5 people who "visited" that cached if they saw it or picked it up....nada. It is already gone I believe for good. :lol:

When I come across other paper ones, I don't move them, but I will log it in as "Discovered" so I can get the icon...yes it really is about the numbers for me now...lol. I actually have more trackables in my profile listed more than the actual caches I visited as I go to places that have more than one trackable there...lol :D

Edited by tigerboys

Sorry to hear that tigerboys. Bummer. I believe that's the feeling I'm trying to avoid with my coin copies.

Regarding "get the icon", I believe I was screwed by the owner of the first coin I retrieved (or there's a bug in way they apply the icons). The owner deleted my retrieved it log since I didn't know what I was doing and put the actual number in my log. I don't see the icon for this coin on my profile. It also screwed up my other lists. I could not then re-do my retrieved it log. All I could do was drop it off even though technically I hadn't retrieved it. Dropping it off did not put the icon in my profile.

So since my profile is already incorrect, I'm finding it hard to get excited about "getting the icon" for anything else I'm coming across--real or copy. The OCD in me I suppose... :>

Sorry to hear that tigerboys. Bummer. I believe that's the feeling I'm trying to avoid with my coin copies.

Regarding "get the icon", I believe I was screwed by the owner of the first coin I retrieved (or there's a bug in way they apply the icons). The owner deleted my retrieved it log since I didn't know what I was doing and put the actual number in my log. I don't see the icon for this coin on my profile. It also screwed up my other lists. I could not then re-do my retrieved it log. All I could do was drop it off even though technically I hadn't retrieved it. Dropping it off did not put the icon in my profile.

So since my profile is already incorrect, I'm finding it hard to get excited about "getting the icon" for anything else I'm coming across--real or copy. The OCD in me I suppose... :>

If an owner deletes your log then the icon disappears from your profile. No bug there, just the unfortunate truth. You could've tried dropping it in a cache like you did and then retrieving it again out of that very same cache and then putting it back. Don't worry though, there's plenty of other icons out there to collect.

I created a fake Geocoin graveyard here in ATL. People can put all the fakes/copies/proxies that they find, in there.

Since that time, most of the fakes have dissapeared from this area. If there were a fake/copy/proxy Geocoin graveyard in every large city, I think the number of fakes out there would dwindle rapidly. Any fakes found in any of my caches will immediately go to the graveyard.

I don't want the icon from fakes(but I do like icons), I don't want to move them(but I have), I also don't have the right to destroy them.

I just want them to go away.

Happy Trails!

Rixart

I created a fake Geocoin graveyard here in ATL. People can put all the fakes/copies/proxies that they find, in there.

Since that time, most of the fakes have dissapeared from this area. If there were a fake/copy/proxy Geocoin graveyard in every large city, I think the number of fakes out there would dwindle rapidly. Any fakes found in any of my caches will immediately go to the graveyard.

I don't want the icon from fakes(but I do like icons), I don't want to move them(but I have), I also don't have the right to destroy them.

Happy Trails!

Rixart

That's just awful! :lol: What gives you the right to stop TBs and coins from traveling? You say in your description "Once a coin has gone in, only the owner should retrieve it." You might as well just take them and throw them in the trash because some of those TBs could be traveling from thousands of miles away. I should be amazed that this cache was approved, but very little surprises me at this point. I promise you this... if I'm ever in the area, I'll collect them all and set them loose to travel again and I encourage others to do the same. Not everyone plays the game your way and you shouldn't have the right to ruin it for them. Shame on you and anyone who throws a replicate in your cache that they don't personally own. :huh:

Happy Trails!

Rixart

That's just awful! :lol: What gives you the right to stop TBs and coins from traveling? You say in your description "Once a coin has gone in, only the owner should retrieve it." You might as well just take them and throw them in the trash because some of those TBs could be traveling from thousands of miles away. I should be amazed that this cache was approved, but very little surprises me at this point. I promise you this... if I'm ever in the area, I'll collect them all and set them loose to travel again and I encourage others to do the same. Not everyone plays the game your way and you shouldn't have the right to ruin it for them. Shame on you and anyone who throws a replicate in your cache that they don't personally own. :huh:

I'm with him!! The Fox and the Hound, that is!!

Someone else is just enjoying playing God.

:huh:

Happy Trails!

Rixart

After discovering some of my TB's had been put into graveyards, I heartily agree with fox-and-the-hound.

Edited, even tho this has been quoted several times. I can do no more than to apologize and to do this.

Edited by ATMouse

We recently placed a series of four caches with a Jersey Devil theme. We happen to have one of the very nice Jersey Devil coins put out by Avroair and the NJGeocachers group.

We wanted to place the coin in the final cache for others to discover. Since we have recently lost one of our personal coins that was on a mission started in Key West, we decided to place a replica coin. We photographed front and back and then affixed the photos to a wooden coin and placed it in a coin envelope. At first glance it appears to be a coin, not just a laminated photo. Actually, no lamination was used.

Now, anyone we finds the cache will see a realistic replica of a related coin.

JD04 - Hunt for the Jersey Devil - Rt. 666

The cache description clearly states that we have placed a replica to be discovered. The caches haven't been out long, and so far, no one has "discovered" the coin even though several cachers have found the cache.

We'll have to wait a while to learn how other cachers react to the opportunity to discover the coin.

Happy Trails!

Rixart

After discovering some of my TB's had been put into graveyards, I heartily agree with fox-and-the-hound.

Just mentioning "TB / Geocoin Graveyard caches" makes me want to come out swinging.

Meh.

I see it as no worse than a TB hotel requiring that cachers trade 1 for 1 TBs. Some TBs get stranded for a long time because of these rules. Or that a "themed" cache asks that you trade only a certain type of item

"dog toys" or "Star Wars".

People are free to choose to follow the cache theme or not. The only TBs that are placed in the cache are "dead" TBs that the owner places there themselves(clearly stated on the cache page).

I do not follow up to make sure that all the FAKES remain in the cache. They do get removed, usually in the next day or so.

I really don't care.

What does bother me is the people who STEAL the cache container just to "get even" for my placing the cache. And of course the people who threaten physical violence for somone "just mentioning "TB/ Geocoin Graveyard caches" "

I don't tell you how to play the game or threaten you with violence. Yet you feel free to do that to me.

I wonder who is the more intolerant?

Happy Trails!

Rixart

Edited by rixart

Just mentioning "TB / Geocoin Graveyard caches" makes me want to come out swinging.

Meh.

I see it as no worse than a TB hotel requiring that cachers trade 1 for 1 TBs. Some TBs get stranded for a long time because of these rules. Or that a "themed" cache asks that you trade only a certain type of item

People are free to choose to follow the cache theme or not. The only TBs that are placed in the cache are "dead" TBs that the owner places there themselves(clearly stated on the cache page).

I do not follow up to make sure that all the FAKES remain in the cache. They do get removed, usually in the next day or so.

I really don't care.

What does bother me is the people who STEAL the cache container just to "get even" for my placing the cache. And of course the people who threaten physical violence for somone "just mentioning "TB/ Geocoin Graveyard caches" "

I don't tell you how to play the game or threaten you with violence. Yet you feel free to do that to me.

Happy Trails!

Rixart

Wanting to do something and actually doing it are not the same thing, but regardless... two wrongs doesn't make a right. TB Hotels don't have a right to require trades either. Just because someone else is behaving badly doesn't mean we should resort to similar measure. Likewise, no one should be stealing your cache either, but what do you expect when you put something out there encouraging bad behavior? How can you act surprised when you're providing the example? :lol:

Meh.

I really don't care.

Happy Trails!

Rixart

Wanting to do something and actually doing it are not the same thing, but regardless... two wrongs doesn't make a right. TB Hotels don't have a right to require trades either. Just because someone else is behaving badly doesn't mean we should resort to similar measure. Likewise, no one should be stealing your cache either, but what do you expect when you put something out there encouraging bad behavior? How can you act surprised when you're providing the example? :lol:

Because you chose to ask a specific question, I have a specific answer for you.

you asked..."Now that I've thought about it a bit more, how do you decide what is a replicate? I've seen objects with the numbers engraved directly on them from TB tags. How do you know if it's an original? How does anyone who's visiting your cache to partake in this deplorable behavior know if it's an original?"

The graveyard only accepts TBs that are dead, and only from the owner. I have had several people attempt to place a "dead" Jeep in the graveyard and they recieved a stern e-mail from me directing them to re-read the cache page! Coin copies are easy to recognize, and no one actually prevents anyone from moving them.

The tone of your post makes it seem that you would gladly ignore the theme, or vandalize or steal my cache, as others have done in the past.

I did not sayI was, or act surprised when my cache was stolen.

I assumed that some Geocacher like you, who disagreed with me, had done it, and felt justified in the theft.

I recognize your right to do so, but I disagree with the choice.

"Wanting to do something and actually doing it are not the same thing".....I don't normally resort to this particular source, but check with the Bible on that one.

So promoting violence is not the same as actually being violent? Check with Homeland Security on that one.

Again, I disagree.

Happy Trails!

Rixart

Meh.

I really don't care.

Happy Trails!

Rixart

you asked..."Now that I've thought about it a bit more, how do you decide what is a replicate? I've seen objects with the numbers engraved directly on them from TB tags. How do you know if it's an original? How does anyone who's visiting your cache to partake in this deplorable behavior know if it's an original?"

The graveyard only accepts TBs that are dead, and only from the owner. I have had several people attempt to place a "dead" Jeep in the graveyard and they recieved a stern e-mail from me directing them to re-read the cache page! Coin copies are easy to recognize, and no one actually prevents anyone from moving them.

The tone of your post makes it seem that you would gladly ignore the theme, or vandalize or steal my cache, as others have done in the past.

I assumed that some Geocacher like you, who disagreed with me, had done it, and felt justified in the theft.

"Wanting to do something and actually doing it are not the same thing".....I don't normally resort to this particular source, but check with the Bible on that one.

So promoting violence is not the same as actually being violent? Check with Homeland Security on that one.

Again, I disagree.

Happy Trails!

Rixart

Like I said, two wrongs doesn't make a right. Stealing/vandalizing your cache isn't acceptable behavior either. I don't promote violence or vandalism (I am saying I can empathize with the frustration and anger). I do however promote TBs and coins that travel. I would never trash a cache, but I wouldn't let TBs rot while they have missions to fulfill either. I recognize your right to play the game the way you want to even if I disagree with your methods. I just wouldn't expect others to play your way though. :huh:

edit to add: I responded to your email, but you'll have to unblock it to read it.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I disagree. The topic question is "Do you think its lame to put out paper geocoin versions?" and this cache appears to be a direct response to people putting out paper facsimiles of geocoins. Obviously some people think they're lame and this is an example of their response is to go out of their way to stop paper geocoins or alter their travel patterns to their own ends. Seems OT to me.

I really don't care.

Happy Trails!

Rixart

Again, I disagree.

Happy Trails!

Rixart

Like I said, two wrongs doesn't make a right. Stealing/vandalizing your cache isn't acceptable behavior either. I don't promote violence or vandalism (I am saying I can empathize with the frustration and anger). I do however promote TBs and coins that travel. I would never trash a cache, but I wouldn't let TBs rot while they have missions to fulfill either. I recognize your right to play the game the way you want to even if I disagree with your methods. I just wouldn't expect others to play your way though. :huh:

edit to add: I responded to your email, but you'll have to unblock it to read it.

I have never stuck someone in my life. I am not promoting violence. "To come out swinging" is a phrase.

I apologize if you felt threatened or were frightened. It was never my intention...it meant to me to argue.

Found in a "sports-related phrase dictionary": come out fighting or come out swinging – Boxing: To go immediately on the offensive, often pre-emptively; or, to strongly defend oneself or one's beliefs.

Edited by ATMouse

The coin owner is obligated to remove logs that mention the tracking code, or risk having GC.com lock the coin. It would have been nice if the owner had simply sent you a message asking that you edit your log. However, if you still have the coin tracking code, you can simply add the log again (back-dating it, and this time leaving out the tracking code). I would not expect the owner to delete your log this time.

First off, no one has the right to stop someone's trackable from traveling, whether it's made of metal, paper, or any other material.

Secondly, TB graveyards are not necessary for "dead" bugs, since they came up with the Mark Item Missing option. A simple click, and they are removed from the cache inventory.

Thirdly, it's not dead if it's a traveling replica, it's alive and moving, so let it go.

Fourthly, a cache shouldn't have a mile long list of TBs that are not in the cache, since people expect to find TB's when they get there, so all the "dead bugs" should be marked missing, not left on the cache page. If you send me a list of the ones that are not actually in the cache, I will be happy to mark them missing for you.

Fifthly, if you are removing paper copies and stopping them dead in their tracks, you are totally in the wrong doing that. They are not yours to decide what to do with. And you are probably making people mad. This is supposed to be fun.

And sixth, fake graveyards add fake mileage. "Dead" bugs have been known to resurface years later.

I would like to know what has happened to any paper copies left in this cache.

1) I think it is lame for people to attempt to "control" others. I do not play by the "rules" of Travel Bug graveyards, 1-1 trades, etc, etc. If I see a TB I will generally move it. Regardless of whether I think it's cool, cute or even relevant. It's respectful of others to move it.

2) Paper coins do not bother me. I will not move them because I only want icons from real coins I have seen or touched. However, the tracking number was paid for. If someone wishes to use their paid for tracking number on something else - so be it.

There is ONE danger that has been mentioned years ago, but bears repeating.

The "swap" of a real coin for a paper coin.

If paper coins become "acceptable" in the game, then it will allow coin thieves to take a real coin, make a paper copy, place the copy in a cache, and have it travel a few more times before the owner may even be aware that the swap was made.

3) My comments on the paper coin graveyard are such that I will be banned from the forums for at least 2 days if I express them.

1) I think it is lame for people to attempt to "control" others. I do not play by the "rules" of Travel Bug graveyards, 1-1 trades, etc, etc. If I see a TB I will generally move it. Regardless of whether I think it's cool, cute or even relevant. It's respectful of others to move it.

2) Paper coins do not bother me. I will not move them because I only want icons from real coins I have seen or touched. However, the tracking number was paid for. If someone wishes to use their paid for tracking number on something else - so be it.

There is ONE danger that has been mentioned years ago, but bears repeating.

The "swap" of a real coin for a paper coin.

If paper coins become "acceptable" in the game, then it will allow coin thieves to take a real coin, make a paper copy, place the copy in a cache, and have it travel a few more times before the owner may even be aware that the swap was made.

3) My comments on the paper coin graveyard are such that I will be banned from the forums for at least 2 days if I express them.

We usually get two of an item that we place on a tb tag. The copy tag goes on the second item and we keep it for ourselves. It's not the exact same one out in the wild but we do get to keep a part of it. Our Svitava (Czech Republic) Green Jeep Travel Bug didn't seem to last very long at all. It appears to have been hoarded by some Jeep happy cacher and despite emailing the owner of the cache we have no real reason to believe it or the cache is even still there at all. We even attached a realistic looking drivers license laminated travel card as well but apparently it looked too cool to keep moving. The other jeep we intended to release to travel to Texas has not been released for this reason. Apparently if you attach a tag to a cinder block you get better life out of it. A little creativity though and it's good as gone.

As for coins we pick up two when we make a purchase. One for keeps and one for release. We're still a little apprehensive on releasing some for the same reasons above. We've thought about sending out proxies instead, and we've found our share, but decided against it because of people like mentioned previously making 'graveyards' for things they deem 'unworthy' of travel.

It's a shame there are some that feel they have to make a personal judgment that will ruin the game for so many others.

:lol:

Fifthly, if you are removing paper copies and stopping them dead in their tracks, you are totally in the wrong doing that. They are not yours to decide what to do with.

Agreed.

The notion that someone would come here and essentially brag that they are doing that to others is disgusting to me. In my mind, this person is no better than a thief.

Please READ the above posts.

I am NOT a thief.

I am NOT stopping their travel.

I am NOT removing them from circulation.

I am NOT preventing anyone from moving the FAKE geocoins.

I am expressing MY opinion about FAKES with this listing.

I was tired of finding FAKES when I expected a real coin.

Is a little HONESTY too much to ask from Geocachers?

Is it so difficult to write COPY in the coin name?

I simply made a place where FAKES is what one could expect to find.

There are no living TBs in the cache. There are rarely any FAKES in the cache.

But if you found one and you don't want it, here is a place for it.

Get a grip, people.

Rixart

Please READ the above posts.

I am NOT a thief.

I am NOT stopping their travel.

I am NOT removing them from circulation.

I am NOT preventing anyone from moving the FAKE geocoins.

I am expressing MY opinion about FAKES with this listing.

I was tired of finding FAKES when I expected a real coin.

Is a little HONESTY too much to ask from Geocachers?

Is it so difficult to write COPY in the coin name?

I simply made a place where FAKES is what one could expect to find.

There are no living TBs in the cache. There are rarely any FAKES in the cache.

But if you found one and you don't want it, here is a place for it.

Get a grip, people.

Rixart

The moderator herself said it was wrong. This is from your own cache page:

"Having gotten sick and tired of finding sad,pathetically disappointing, fake, plastic-coated photocopies of Geocoins in caches all over Georgia, I decided to make a cache just for them.

This is a Graveyard, NOT a hotel.

Once a coin has gone in, only the owner should retrieve it. Cachers are welcome to discover all the coins that have made it into the cache, but if you please, do not take any fake Geocoins from the cache. Leave them so that others may discover them."

You claim you are not stopping them but here you say only the proxy's owner can retrieve them from the cache. What if the owner lives hundreds of miles away? Did you ever stop and consider that? You say your cache is a "graveyard not a hotel" so that sounds pretty much like a plan to remove them from circulation to me.

As for getting a grip, why don't you take your own advice? If you see a proxy coin and don't like it, then don't move it.

It's simple when you stop and think about it. :lol:

Edited by ThePetersTrio

I have had communication with rixart, and no paper coins are being destroyed, trashed, harmed, thrown out, shredded or maimed in this cache. They are being moved. That is all I wanted to know.

The only thing that bothers me is having a real active cache with "dead", inactive bugs listed in it. Usually those are either marked missing, or people drop them in their own archived caches. It's misleading. People from out of town may expect to find those when they find the cache.

Please do not berate, email, threaten or dissuade Rixart for expressing his opinion regarding paper coins. Lots of people love them, lots of people don't love them, and we are all entitled to our opinions.

So, I now return you to the topic at hand.

Paper coins in caches: Lame or Not Lame?