Do you think its lame to put out paper geocoin versions?

AU96Alum

I have come across several "Paper Version" geocoins since people do not want their coins to get lost or stolen after spending $5-$15. I usually roll my eyes when I come across these and just move it on after logging it. Now I just got one of the coolest coins I have had in the mail last night (Tengwar Geocoin). I am now actually considering keeping this one in hand and putting a paper version out. I am not letting this one go, so do you think I should just keep it and don't put out a paper version, or go ahead and put a laminated paper version out? hmmm....

Hey tigerboys:

I understand your concern for your Tengwar Geocoin's safety. The question of paper coins has come up many times on this forum. It is a debate that will have no end except so say that everyone will have to make their own calls on how best ot handle their own feelings on the matter. I haven't released many coins yet, but fully understand the fear of thier loss and have thought about putting out paper myself. Actually, I would probably glue a paper facsimile onto a wodden blank to make it more durable and more like a real coin.

Having said that, like yourself, if I found a paper coin in a cache, I'd move it along, but wouldn't get the same pleasure in "receiving" one of these as I would a real coin. I have a cache at my own house that has been getting a lot of attention and a lot of coins dropped off. I think it's awesome to see these coins in person, that I might not otherwise ever get to hold in my hands. If they stay for a few days, I pick them up and move them myself. I think most people would move paper, but would much rather see metal.

My advice to you is to keep your Tengway and purchase another coin as a travel bug. The Groundspeak travel bug is so generic that it isn't really a target for a cache thief, though I persoanlly would rather see an actual coin myself. Having said that, I would rather see that TB with a cute hitchhiker than a paper replica of the Tengwar. Plan "B" would be to buy another coin for release. I don't look at the trading pages here (no reason, I just never have), but you might want to pick up an already activated coin that you could have adopted out to you. Some people also post sales of their activated coin surplusses right here as well. These pre-activated coins will cost less than the non-activated counterparts and you can feel better about releasing these than ones you want to keep safe and sound. Just my two cents worth.

There is always a risk that the coin get stolen.

you can hold the coin in your collection, take the risk and send into the world, or make it a paper coin.

I will move real coins and papercoins, i love to get the icoon.

Last weekend we found a ripped cache with 3 coins. 2 real coins ans 1 paper.

I was happy that 1 was paper.

I have no paper coins send in the world but you never know i what i will do in the future.

I have come across several "Paper Version" geocoins since people do not want their coins to get lost or stolen after spending $5-$15. I usually roll my eyes when I come across these and just move it on after logging it. Now I just got one of the coolest coins I have had in the mail last night (Tengwar Geocoin). I am now actually considering keeping this one in hand and putting a paper version out. I am not letting this one go, so do you think I should just keep it and don't put out a paper version, or go ahead and put a laminated paper version out? hmmm....

If you don't want to lose your coin, just don't send it out. I would not send out a piece of paper. That is pretty lame. Who wants to "discover" a piece of paper?

I have a paper/wood coin in my possesion right now. I understand the idea behind it and even the reasoning. Just not impressed. I too would rather be holding a metal coin. If I dont want my coin to get lost (and I have had several go MIA), then I dont release it to the world. All I can say is IMO, buy another just like that coin and release it.

There are a plethora of threads on this topic dating back all the way to 2005 ;) I can see both sides of the coin so to speak. Personally, I don't move paper copies... and often miss them in the cache. My alternative solution is to make a photocopy of each side and stick a washer inbetween, put it in a nice plastic coin case and send it out. People enjoy finding something more than paper.

So basically, yes, paper copies are lame.

Many have mentioned this before , just not threaded to your question until now...

If you want to make your coin less desirable to thieves, drill a hole in it and attach a TB buddy or something else to it before you send it traveling. It won't stop a thief but it may last longer in the wild until someone says "cool a keychain!" ;)

Just make sure that your description clearly states that it's an image of the original. That way people can decide if they want to go hunting for it!

I completely agree with this. While it annoys some cachers that a real coin is not to be had I think it's a fair move to release a proxy coin of some type (laminated paper, photocopied coin in a plastic case, heck I even once saw an empty coin case with the tracking number written on it). But be sure to indicate in the coin description that it is a proxy or a copy. I wish I could afford to buy multiple copies of coins (one to trade, one to keep, one to travel) but on a student's budget that just isn't going to happen. Until the coin thief of our area is caught I'm not willing to turn loose the real deal.

That said, If you ever decide to release the coin after having a proxy out there all you have to do is wait for someone to log that they picked it up...contact them and ask them to destroy the proxy. Then mail the actual coin out for them to move on.

I also like the drill a hole and attach a tag via cable idea. However I have been unable to find the proper equipment around here. Can anyone with experience in this area point me in the right direction to find the needed gear? What to ask for? etc?

I think the most annoying part is when it doesn't say it's a proxy on the name of the coin. When the NAME says "proxy" then you see that on the cache page. That way if you are going to a cache with the idea to find a coin or add the icon you aren't disappointed when it's a proxy. ;)

You know whether it's a paper coin shaped image in a coin case or a washer attached to a TB Dog Tag it's still a traveler. There's loads of lame TBs out there and they are dealt with, ignored or moved along. At some point it will be muggled, trashed, dumped or vandalized in the cache it's in.

If you are afraid of losing your coin keep it. If you want to release a lame travel bug camouflaged as a geocoin release the Proxy but don't expect any oooohhs and aaaahhs. But if you want to avoid the nastygrams that paper coins attract be sure to call it for what it is ... a Proxy!

Bottom line it's your tracking # and your coin and you get to do with it as you see fit.

Just make sure that your description clearly states that it's an image of the original. That way people can decide if they want to go hunting for it!

I completely agree with this. While it annoys some cachers that a real coin is not to be had I think it's a fair move to release a proxy coin of some type (laminated paper, photocopied coin in a plastic case, heck I even once saw an empty coin case with the tracking number written on it). But be sure to indicate in the coin description that it is a proxy or a copy. I wish I could afford to buy multiple copies of coins (one to trade, one to keep, one to travel) but on a student's budget that just isn't going to happen. Until the coin thief of our area is caught I'm not willing to turn loose the real deal.

That said, If you ever decide to release the coin after having a proxy out there all you have to do is wait for someone to log that they picked it up...contact them and ask them to destroy the proxy. Then mail the actual coin out for them to move on.

I also like the drill a hole and attach a tag via cable idea. However I have been unable to find the proper equipment around here. Can anyone with experience in this area point me in the right direction to find the needed gear? What to ask for? etc?

Hey "The_Geomonkeys":

There was a response by dflye to this question in a thread that I often point people to. Check it out. The 1/16" cable and clamps (found right next to the cable) are inexpensive and easily found in most well-stocked hardware stores. the tag would have to be made up and laminated by you:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3451595

Some people won't move them, and that's fine -- they just don't get moved.

I would agree that making sure that you list it as a PROXY is the kind thing to do so that those who are looking for the actual coin don't waste their time for something that isn't a coin. And let's face it, plenty of us will revisit a cache we've been to before just for a coin (I've been to a terrain level 5 cache [mountain climbing] three times just to see particular travelers!), and it would be disapointing to have it be a laminate coy.

On the other hand, I've also been to a cache to see a coin only to find that it's already been moved, but not logged as such. C'est la vie!

It's your coin, do with it what you will. You'll never make everybody happy, so make yourself happy!

Lame? Maybe, but the only thing lamer would be to waste a perfectly good tracking code ;) Clearly state what it is in the description (even better in the name) and send it on it's way. Some people love'm, some hate'm, but at least while it's traveling it will make some people happy. :)

The trouble is, that tracking code is associated with a coin, so anyone "discovering" it or "retrieving" it, will see a coin icon in their list, even though they never saw the coin. I really don't see how this is any different than

simply passing around a list of tracking codes and letting people copy them (which is usually a frowned upon activity).

Lame? Maybe, but the only thing lamer would be to waste a perfectly good tracking code :) Clearly state what it is in the description (even better in the name) and send it on it's way. Some people love'm, some hate'm, but at least while it's traveling it will make some people happy. :D

The trouble is, that tracking code is associated with a coin, so anyone "discovering" it or "retrieving" it, will see a coin icon in their list, even though they never saw the coin. I really don't see how this is any different than

simply passing around a list of tracking codes and letting people copy them (which is usually a frowned upon activity).

I agree partially, but since you are in control of deciding whether you've actually "discovered" or "retrieved" a "coin" then it's up to you to decide what to do. Look at it this way... Groundspeak gives you 2 TB tags. One to send out and the other as a "backup". If your original TB goes awol for a couple years or is destroyed/muggled/etc. and you decide to send the other tag on to continue the mission then anyone discovering the second tag isn't really "discovering" the original TB are they? They're still getting the icon, still logging the find, but it's not the same. There's no clear cut solution, but the unfortunate truth is coins get stolen. This is only one answer to the problem and not a perfect one. ;)

Keep in mind that in the end, a geocoin is still just a "TB in a tuxedo". :)

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Lame? Maybe, but the only thing lamer would be to waste a perfectly good tracking code :) Clearly state what it is in the description (even better in the name) and send it on it's way. Some people love'm, some hate'm, but at least while it's traveling it will make some people happy. :D

I agree partially, but since you are in control of deciding whether you've actually "discovered" or "retrieved" a "coin" then it's up to you to decide what to do. Look at it this way... Groundspeak gives you 2 TB tags. One to send out and the other as a "backup". If your original TB goes awol for a couple years or is destroyed/muggled/etc. and you decide to send the other tag on to continue the mission then anyone discovering the second tag isn't really "discovering" the original TB are they? They're still getting the icon, still logging the find, but it's not the same. There's no clear cut solution, but the unfortunate truth is coins get stolen. This is only one answer to the problem and not a perfect one. ;)

The tag is the travel bug. The toy/keychain/whatever attached is just a hitchhiker. So, anyone discovering the dog tag is discovering a TB. :)

The tag is the travel bug. The toy/keychain/whatever attached is just a hitchhiker. So, anyone discovering the dog tag is discovering a TB. :)

Okay, but you'd still be discovering the "backup" bug, not the original TB. If it's a facsimile, how is that different from a facsimile coin?

Lame? Maybe, but the only thing lamer would be to waste a perfectly good tracking code :lol: Clearly state what it is in the description (even better in the name) and send it on it's way. Some people love'm, some hate'm, but at least while it's traveling it will make some people happy. :D

I agree partially, but since you are in control of deciding whether you've actually "discovered" or "retrieved" a "coin" then it's up to you to decide what to do. Look at it this way... Groundspeak gives you 2 TB tags. One to send out and the other as a "backup". If your original TB goes awol for a couple years or is destroyed/muggled/etc. and you decide to send the other tag on to continue the mission then anyone discovering the second tag isn't really "discovering" the original TB are they? They're still getting the icon, still logging the find, but it's not the same. There's no clear cut solution, but the unfortunate truth is coins get stolen. This is only one answer to the problem and not a perfect one. :D

Keep in mind that in the end, a geocoin is still just a "TB in a tuxedo". :D

The tag is the travel bug. The toy/keychain/whatever attached is just a hitchhiker. So, anyone discovering the dog tag is discovering a TB. :D

Okay, but you'd still be discovering the "backup" bug, not the original TB. If it's a facsimile, how is that different from a facsimile coin?

The copy tag is still a tag (travel bug).

I am not in favor of people writing travel bug tracking numbers on pieces of paper, either. :D

"A TB in a tuxedo" I like that. But while this is true, we started geocaching to hunt for treasure. There is a huge satisfaction in picking up a box and hearing the gentle clink of coins. We do not enjoy the paper coins, and will trade out any other trackable first. But we're a family of coin collectors, so we may be biased :D . That said, we understand the reason. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? If we treasure the coin, we activate it and keep in the "Discover Me" binder (that's a whole different controversy), or we buy 2 and send one out (an expensive proposition). So, that's just our take. This, as with alot of topics, has many viewpoints. We don't look down on those who put out the paper coins, we just don't understand the allure.

im against the idea of paper copies. there is always some risk involved with travel bugs and coins, and in my opinion, if you cant stand the risk then maybe this part of this hobby isnt something you should be doing.

i cant afford to buy many coins to keep and i live in a part of the world thats way off the beaten track and doesnt get as many coins passing through my way like many of you manage to see, and i dont do as many geocaches either due to several reasons. so when i do find a traveling coin in a cache i visit, i am very eager to hold it for a short time untill i drop it to another cache. this gives me the chance to closely examine and feel what it looks like, if i found a paper copy i guess i would be a bit annoyed and cheated and would probably ignore the coin and leave it in the cache and not log the coin find as its not the real coin.

like i mentioned earlier in this post, if you dont like the risk then you shouldnt put your coins out to travel.

...The tag is the travel bug. The toy/keychain/whatever attached is just a hitchhiker. So, anyone discovering the dog tag is discovering a TB. :D

Agreed. If the TB Tag is the TB, then the tracking code is the geocoin...Unless folks are really, really just wanting to touch the coin while they could truly care less about the TB.

...I am not in favor of people writing travel bug tracking numbers on pieces of paper, either. :D

Good comeback.

That said someone could cut the rest of the coin away and leave nothing but the orginal Tracking Number.

I know you would still see that as on a par with the paper.

Why would someone do that? And, of course, I would not be in favor of that. I do not agree with your statement that the "tracking number is the geocoin". If the TB is the dog tag (the entire tag), then the coin is the entire coin.

I know I don't really post ever, but I'm a long time lurker. This topic got me particularly interested because I recently bought one of the coins from the GPS Adventures Exhibit up in CT and I was considering making a replica (granted a good one, with weight to it and everything) because I would hate to see me first coin get stolen. I think lindsychris said it best in a post awhile back...

For those that think everyone should only release (throw away) real coins, PLEASE just release $10 bills with TB tags on them instead. The result will be the same...

Just to clarify... according to Groundspeak:

"Description: A Groundspeak Travel Bug* is a unique tracking tag that you can attach to items and give them goals for others to try and complete!"

So a TB is a tracking tag attached to an item and together they become the TravelBug from what I gather. Much like a coin with a laser engraved numbered added to it becomes our beloved geocoin. If the original tag/item combo goes awol and your backup tag (referred to as a "copy" by Groundspeak) is then put into use on a new item you still have a valid TB. If a coin goes awol (or is never put out), but the copy continues on, well then it's still a TB. Our "TB in a tuxedo" becomes a TB in a tuxedo Tshirt (which many may not be a fan of), but it's still a valid traveler. :D

I don't release facsimiles, but I'm not saying I never will. I do think it should be clearly marked what is out there though. I didn't get into caching for the treasure, but it is a pretty cool factor. :lol:

I did that a few times when I first started out but now I just buy more than one and release one and keep one to look at and then sometimes I release it too. The paper ones eventually disappear and that is ok too. I guess people could release copies if the original gets stolen, but finding one is not nearly as interesting as the real deal. I love moving coins and TBs and even more creating them and putting them out. I just created some new TBs today. I do not think I have ever replaced one with the copy tag, but I guys I could. I have a drawer full of copy tags. What would happen if you thought one had gone missing and put out a copy and the the original popped up again? It would result in some strange mileage, huh?

I know I don't really post ever, but I'm a long time lurker. This topic got me particularly interested because I recently bought one of the coins from the GPS Adventures Exhibit up in CT and I was considering making a replica (granted a good one, with weight to it and everything) because I would hate to see me first coin get stolen. I think lindsychris said it best in a post awhile back...

For those that think everyone should only release (throw away) real coins, PLEASE just release $10 bills with TB tags on them instead. The result will be the same...

If you include the price of the dog tag, many travel bugs cost much more than a typical geocoin.

If you are nervous about your first geocoin, start with a very inexpensive one.

Just to clarify... according to Groundspeak:

"Description: A Groundspeak Travel Bug* is a unique tracking tag that you can attach to items and give them goals for others to try and complete!"

So a TB is a tracking tag attached to an item and together they become the TravelBug from what I gather.

I read that Groundspeak quote as "A Groundspeak Travel Bug is a unique tracking tag" which you can (if you wish) attach to items.

Maybe geocoin makers should always sell you two coins: the "real one" and a "copy" (identical to the real one). ;)

I agree that the difference between a TB and a Geocoin is huge.

A TB is the tag itself and whatever is attached, is.....well, attached.

If the tag goes missing, you release a tag that is the exact same thing.

If your coin goes missing you don't have an exact replica to send out and paper just doesn't cut it IMO.

I don't cache for the treasure either, but it's always fun to find coins. Finding paper is....well, finding paper.

I said it before: If I saw the Mona Lisa I would be impressed. When I see a picture of the Mona Lisa, I'm not.

Finding paper is....well, finding paper.

I said it before: If I saw the Mona Lisa I would be impressed. When I see a picture of the Mona Lisa, I'm not.

We won't move paper coins because they're just that... paper.

We released about 20 real coins this weekend in a new caching territory for us. I have yet to log those caches but when we do, there will probably be a few happy folk to see new icons in their woods.

When they go to find the cache, the only paper will be the log book... I can only think of one other use for paper in the woods ;)

I'm probably too inexperienced to express an opinion, but in a word, yes.

I understand the reason for putting out a paper version, but it's just not the same.

Simple answer..Yes, I think it's lame. Send it(the real coin) out to travel, or don't.

I think if you're afraid of it getting stolen or lost, then just don't release it. You can still activate it and take it to events for others to discover, this way you still get to share the joy of the coin and you know where it is at all times.

I don't see how a paper copy is any different than me scanning a picture of a geocoin and emailing it to others to discover. And that's called 'virtual logging', which is against Groundspeak policy and will get a tb's page locked forever.

Edited by coreynjoey

...I am not in favor of people writing travel bug tracking numbers on pieces of paper, either. ;)

Good comeback.

That said someone could cut the rest of the coin away and leave nothing but the orginal Tracking Number.

I know you would still see that as on a par with the paper.

Why would someone do that? And, of course, I would not be in favor of that. I do not agree with your statement that the "tracking number is the geocoin". If the TB is the dog tag (the entire tag), then the coin is the entire coin.

I have a TB that needed to fit in Micro Caches, so I trimmed the tag down and engraved some info on the back. On the other side, all that is visible of the original image is the "Bug" icon, and the tracking number. I trimmed off the excess on the edges. Of course, before I ever put it into a Cache, I lost it and had to release the full sized version anyway. the one pictured was actually the copy tag, but that part was trimmed off,

59fe88c3-03ab-404d-bec5-cd6c7d95b77a.jpg

I think if you're afraid of it getting stolen or lost, then just don't release it. You can still activate it and take it to events for others to discover, this way you still get to share the joy of the coin and you know where it is at all times.

I don't see how a paper copy is any different than me scanning a picture of a geocoin and emailing it to others to discover. And that's called 'virtual logging', which is against Groundspeak policy and will get a tb's page locked forever.

After reading everyones thoughts on this thread and many others on the same topic, I think this is the best plan of action. I'll have plenty of other coins down the road to release, but I'm going to hold on to my first one. If you're ever in the Rockland County, NY area, send me a message. I'd love for you to discover the coin, especially if you can't make it up to the exhibit in CT yourselves.

Lame? Maybe, but the only thing lamer would be to waste a perfectly good tracking code :D Clearly state what it is in the description (even better in the name) and send it on it's way. Some people love'm, some hate'm, but at least while it's traveling it will make some people happy. ;)

I have wondered this myself. The official policy is that if you do not actually see a coin and log it anyway--that is virtual logging and against the rules.

How is printing your coin's tracking number on a piece of paper and sending it out traveling any different or better or more 'approved' than putting your coin's tracking number on a list and either emailing it to people or handing it out at events to be discovered??

They BOTH look like virtual logging to me as you never actually see the coin in either case. ;)

Oh, and yes, I think paper copies are lame.

I think it's pretty lame not activating coins and setting them free, but then I think it's pretty lame that coins get stolen. I think it's pretty lame that not enough people appreciate the fact that there are copy coins out there to be discovered and enjoyed, if you want to feel that coin so bad buy one, I go hunting for coins to get the icon, if I see a real coin it's a bonus - but I don't expect that many to be travelling in the future as this sport/game becomes more widely known about. I don't want to put out copy coins, but I don't want any more of my coins stolen either - so the next one going out is a copy of a stolen coin. Think it's lame, leave it where it is. This is what it looks like, I don't think it's brilliant, but at least it will be out there.

7dc81563-ca3c-4e4f-86a9-e8bea909d8ce.jpg

3b9498f4-f85f-4514-9f81-b860b4c22ed6.jpg