Adopting Earthcaches?

Carbon Hunter

Well, im rather keen to adopt a USA Earthcahe or 2 off another cacher and/or adopt one of my New Zealand ones out.

Let me know if anyone is keen on either. ;)

This got me thinking.

1) I have a whole series here in South Africa, and would consider to share with anyone wanting an African cache.

2) If you let someone adopt one of your caches - can you find it?

3) What is the general consensus on this? Is it acceptable practice having a cache where you've never been?

Edited by Carbon Hunter

Well, im rather keen to adopt a USA Earthcahe or 2 off another cacher and/or adopt one of my New Zealand ones out.

This got me thinking.

1) I have a whole series here in South africa, and will be more than willing to share with anyone wanting an African cache.

1) I have a whole series here in South africa, and will be more than willing to share with anyone wanting an African cache.

Sweet - Im keen....

I personally wouldnt, but you could.

I think (and this is just my opinion) you are opening a pandora's box here. As with normal caches the owner should be able to access the cache, and it seems to me you are cheapening the EarthCache Master level requirements by "trading" Earthcaches.

Also, since GeoAware requires proof of permission obtained by the placer, that placer should remain owner IMO. It would be hard for a cacher from NZ to stay in communication with a permission giver in SA.

I think (and this is just my opinion) you are opening a pandora's box here. As with normal caches the owner should be able to access the cache, and it seems to me you are cheapening the EarthCache Master level requirements by "trading" Earthcaches.

Also, since GeoAware requires proof of permission obtained by the placer, that placer should remain owner IMO. It would be hard for a cacher from NZ to stay in communication with a permission giver in SA.

Good top get your feedback on this - thanks - see point 3 above!

This got me thinking.

1) I have a whole series here in South Africa, and would consider to share with anyone wanting an African cache.

3) What is the general consensus on this? Is it acceptable practice having a cache where you've never been?

I doubt it's been done but... (similar to the exchange student scenario) It would be interesting to team up with another cacher from out of state/country to develop an earthcache at each location, then trade ownership. Caveats being: owners stay engaged with both earthcaches, other EC owner, and land owners. Thoughts?

I wouldnt go and find a cache that I adopt out - to me thats "cheating".

Also, 3 caches in New Zealand were done by a Canadian, remotely, using the web and google earth..... Top notch EC's to.

Also, 3 caches in New Zealand were done by a Canadian, remotely, using the web and google earth..... Top notch EC's to.

Can you post GC codes or links to these NZ EC's?

What would be the point? - also, Im only going on hearsay.

no pressure. I'm curious as to the quality of alleged EC's.

Maybe you could do abit of detective work...... and report back to us? :D

Maybe you could do abit of detective work...... and report back to us? :D

What's up with this? Visiting the site has to be a requirement. Unless someone can come up with a real virtual Earthcache that can be done from the sofa. Photos are a good way to prove you visited the site but not necessarily the only way. I would like to see these NZ EC's investigated and logs removed if they didn't visit the site.

Sure, why not? there are no rules and who would really care if you found it or not? Your finds are your finds and its no one else's business what you do with your finds.

I think the only time it would manner is when you are trying to get a earthcaching pin.

Thats my opion...