Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

Hi

The receiver uses MicroSD cards, I use a 2gb for maps.

M0zez

Hello all

I have just purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. What memory cards and maps are available for this machine?

The more detail the better.

Thanks in advance

Don't buy the cards with maps installed on them as they work out much more expensive and you can't use the maps on the PC. 2GB microSD cards cost next to nothing these days. I just bought a 1/2GB Sandisk microSD for a trade item, as it was £1.50. ;)

Most walkers and cachers use Topo GB, so just shop around for the best price, as that certainly won't be the on the Garmin site.

.....Most walkers and cachers use Topo GB......

Not necessarily the case (no offence intended) as you might find it cheaper to use the MapSource base map with the excellent SMC contour set (free) overlaid.

I would be very surprised if it wasn't the case. SidAndBob's answer merely noted which one was most widely used, and said nothing about which was the cheapest.

I'm interested in the SMC maps, but am I right in saying that they are only contours, and don't have paths, ROWs, etc.? The quality of the non-contour data on the GB Topo maps is very variable, but they are a LOT more comprehensive than the other Garmin add-on maps, and there is simply no comparison to be made with the base maps which are useless for driving, yet alone walking!

Rgds, Andy

.....Most walkers and cachers use Topo GB......

Not necessarily the case (no offence intended) as you might find it cheaper to use the MapSource base map with the excellent SMC contour set (free) overlaid.

I agree with H'Nick. I use an Ordnance Survey Map (or Memory Map printout) along with Mapsource and the SMC contours on the Garmin. I've got a friend with the Topo GB maps and I don't think it bares any comparison with the detail shown on OS maps. - - - - - -

Although if I found a spare £120 down the side of the settee, I'd buy the Topo disc as well!!

The only reason not to buy Topo, if you have a CSx, would be the cost. If you're going to rely on maps alone I don't see why you would spend money on a mapping GPSr when an eTrex H would do fine. I did read on here several months ago that Topo can be found for around £80 now, which is a bargain in my book. To put it in perspective, if you bought all the paper maps to cover the UK it would cost over £3,500. :) And take up one heck of a space too. ;)

I love the CSx/Topo combination. I have used it extensively for over 2 years and feel Topo gets a very undeserved bad press.

It's not perfect, but there's nothing to stop you carrying a map, which ever solution you use.

I have heard good things about Memory Map, do they work with 60CSx?

No... MemoryMap is a program you run on your PC or suitable (not Palm) PDA.

Garmin mapping GPSr units will only accept Garmin map products and of those Topo is the best of the bunch. It shows contours, roads, most but not all rights of way, rivers, canals, lakes and railways with a good degree of accuracy. It does not show buildings as the OS maps do. It does, however show trig points which is nice if that's what floats your boat. :D