hording coins

sleepyrn

I am SO majorly annoyed and have nothing to do with my frustration but to rant here. I had a coin being held hostage, in a cache in Virginia, along with about 24 other coins. Some of these coins had been collected MONTHS before the cache even became active. Two months ago I pleaded with the cache owner to get my coin out of there - no response. Not only did he not do as I asked, he never responded to me at all. I asked recent visitors to the cache if they might go back and retrieve my coin - one said he would try. I asked the president of the local geocaching organization to intervene. He talked with the cache owner and that led nowhere. The president said he would go over to the cache in a "day or two" and remove my coin. That was about two weeks ago. Now, the most recent visitor to the cache reports that ALL the coins are gone. It is a members only, puzzle cache in a very remote location. The cache was still there just the coins gone. This was not a muggling, this was an intentional coin heist!!

It was so unbelievable of the cache owner to put that many coins in one cache. It made a perfect opportunity for some nefarious coin thief to get a great haul with just one cache. I am so angry and so frustrated and I have absolutely no recourse.

This was my third coin loss in about six months (though this is the only one due to the stupidity and selfishness of the cache owner). I am done with sending coins out and have started to ask people holding my coins while waiting to put them in the next cache to please mail them back to me.

Thanks for listening to me rant. I know there are no answers but maybe someone reading this will think twice about creating a coin jackpot like the one from which my coin was stolen.

Sleepyrn. Coins get lost. Coins get stolen. Coins are hunks of shiny metal. I suggest if you don't want to lose a coin, don't set it free. That is the only way to keep your coins.

Now that being said..here is my response from my heart. I hate losing coins too. If you email me your address I would love to send you a new coin. No strings, I would just like to return a smile to your face.

Jodi

P.S. are you a sleep lab nurse..or do you work nights.

Now that being said..here is my response from my heart. I hate losing coins too. If you email me your address I would love to send you a new coin. No strings, I would just like to return a smile to your face.

Jodi, that is very sweet. There is no need to send me a coin. The offer alone brought a smile to my face and for that I thank you.

s it possible that President did go to the cache and remove all the coins? It could also be that if there were a lot of coins that he just hasn't had the chance to distribute them yet?

I emailed the president and said "Please tell me that you picked up the coins from the cache as you said you would."

His response was "I wish I could...."

I'm so sorry to hear about this type of thing. It's true, when we send out a coin we have to be willing to lose it. BUT - at what point do TPTB get involved with this type of thing?

If someone is deliberately breaking the rules of cache ownership, shouldn't they be at least warned or suspended?

At what point can/should the local reviewer (yes I know they are volunteers and have real lives outside of caching) get involved?

It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch. It would seem to be in the long-term best interest of the Geocaching organization to get involved with these types of things.

Wouldn't it? ;)

I'm still a hopeful believer in the great geocaching community. I hope the president listened and just hasn't gotten them logged out yet. Hopefully he's not the brother of the cache owner.

The best case scenario is that a member cacher came through and decided to release all the coins but is still on vacation.

I only have one coin out there roaming and it disappeared for 5 months and then turned back up. I deeply appreciate all the coin owners who have released coins. I'm debating about drilling my next coin and attaching something to it to make it less desirable as a keeper.

Try to ignore this one bad experience and look at all the smiles you've given to those who find your other coins.

I sent a link to this thread to both the cache owner and the president of the local geocaching org. I actually feel bad for the president - he really had no ability to change anything (except retrieve the coins as he said he would) and he actually lost a coin or two also. However I would love to see a response from the cache owner. I'm not holding my breath, however.

I am the "president" that has been mentioned in the recent posts. I did promise that I would go to the cache and look into getting the coin in question out. What I did not plan on was a death in the family.

I have released 109 TBs and coins into the world and 24 have gone missing. I do not condone what this local cacher did, nor do I condone piracy, but I have no control over either. I am always sorry to see coins and TBs go missing, but it is something that seems to be a way of life here.

I just returned home from a 2.5 month trip in Singapore to find out that someone out there has shamed the hobby. I am upset that some people out there think this kind of thing is ok. I made it a puzzle so that there was some reward at the end and Members Only. I collected these coins so others can come and spend some time in a great area and discover some really nice coins or take them if they wanted. And many people seemed to have enjoyed that. As the owner of the cache and the owner of 5 coins that also went missing, all I can do is say I feel for you. However, lets not confuse this with any admission of guilt. That solely lies with the one who took them.

Looks like one of my coins, TB1VPP5, went through this cache back in February and ended up at Geowoodstock and has not been seen since. It has been over a month now since it was shown as left in the event. Who knows where it went...??? Oh well easy come easy go maybe it will turn up. Small world though huh?

As the owner of the cache and the owner of 5 coins that also went missing, all I can do is say I feel for you. However, lets not confuse this with any admission of guilt. That solely lies with the one who took them.

I hope that the next time you are away from your caches that you'll appoint someone to look after them. This cache should never have been allowed to have so many trackables kept in it, and no way for there to be communication between the trackable's owners and yourself. Unfortunately this neglect made it just ripe for the picking by a thief. ;)

I collected these coins so others can come and spend some time in a great area and discover some really nice coins or take them if they wanted.

The part you seem to miss is that these coins were not yours to "collect". I can't speak for others but my coin should NEVER have been "grabbed", as you so eloquently log any time you pick up a coin, and held onto for 3 months before this cache was activated.

Reading the coin pages is painful. One of the coins was sent out by five children. The coin had only made one stop before being placed in your cache. You took my coin out of its initial cache - it never even made it out in the wild. How can you justify that? I did not send that coin out for you to "collect" it.

A good rule of thumb. If you can not quickly move a trackable along on its journey don't take it. They are not meant to be stored for an upcoming cache or event. The purpose is to travel.

Yuppers!!!

but if you must...

If planning on keeping for an extended period, the owner should be contacted, and if they're cool with it, go for it.. if not, don't hold it hostage.

It's just good manners. And if you ask.... I'd say more often than not, most owners would give ya the ok.. just because you asked. The NOT knowing what happened to the TB/Geocoin, is what causes angst. and/or drama. Just knowing can alleviate that. In this case it's better to ask permission than forgiveness.

My 2 cents... ;) -57

Sleepyrn, aaawwwww I wanted to send you my NURSEGIRL NERD!!!! Please reconsider. I also am a night shift ER nurse. I love it!

Jodi

Well, since you insist and since you are down in the trenches too.... email to follow.

Thank you - sincerely!

know the problem.

i have coin which is placed in a cache and the cache a couple times found, but my coin is not gelogd.

i have contact the person that put my coin in the cache and he answer that he put my coin in a other cache.

that is not so bad but the other cache is found also couple of times but my coin is not found.

i contact everybody who found the cache but nobody has seen my coin.

it drive`s me crazy but hè what can i do then only wait and pray that my coin someday will be logd again.

When I buy coins I tend to buy 4 or 5 because I usually will let one go knowing that their is a small chance they will go missing or just someone gets greedy and keeps it for themselfs.

On the flip side of the coin, I've had some really travel and still are.

It really is a coin flip and it is hard if we all get the same response of them going missing.

Hang in there though, not everyone is as bad as it seems

The cache, For - Over the Quarry, certainly looks like a Coin hoard or Jail and it's not even listed as a Hotel/Spa/Motel. Ironically a cache that finders have been discovering coins at all year is suddenly emptied. Something stinks in the State of Virginia!!

I'm guessing that one of the missing coins is yours? Just a guess, mind you.

No, I found the cache by looking through your activated coins. But I feel for you since a cache with that many coin icons that have only been discovered all year is pretty suspicious.

The cache, For - Over the Quarry, certainly looks like a Coin hoard or Jail and it's not even listed as a Hotel/Spa/Motel. Ironically a cache that finders have been discovering coins at all year is suddenly emptied. Something stinks in the State of Virginia!!

I'm guessing that one of the missing coins is yours? Just a guess, mind you.

No, I found the cache by looking through your activated coins. But I feel for you since a cache with that many coin icons that have only been discovered all year is pretty suspicious.

When I started asking for my coin to be removed I also emailed a recent visitor who had "discovered" my coin to ask if the actual coin was there or if it was a proxy. I was initially worried that the cache owner was holding the real coins and put proxies in the cache to be discovered. I couldn't figure out why it was being discovered so often and not moved. I was assured that the actual coins were there, so that was a relief, at least.

And to all who have written to say that coins get lost, coins are stolen, it is part of the game, part of the risk in sending them out... I do know all that. I have lost other coins and accepted it as part of the game. It was just the way this whole cache was set up that really irritated me. That and the lack of response from the owner.

Also, after calming down some I changed my mind about requesting my coins to "come home". I will leave them out there traveling as planned. Though I may not send any others out, but that remains to be seen.

Thanks to all for your input, I feel better.

The lightbulb did not click on until just now, but I also e-mailed someone about a certain cache with a large amount of coins and they told me mine was the real deal in the cache.

My view is this on TB/Coin hotel caches, if it is done right, hidden in a manner that is easy to find and be used as it is meant to be used then you might see a lot of coins and TBs in the cache, which is what you want. Now it is up to the owner to actually maintain it and move coins/TBs along if they have been sitting in the cache around.

Sleepyrn--glad to hear you are going to let your coins keep moving around

If planning on keeping for an extended period, the owner should be contacted, and if they're cool with it, go for it.. if not, don't hold it hostage.

It's just good manners. And if you ask.... I'd say more often than not, most owners would give ya the ok.. just because you asked. The NOT knowing what happened to the TB/Geocoin, is what causes angst. and/or drama. Just knowing can alleviate that. In this case it's better to ask permission than forgiveness.

I Do this, sometimes i keep them for months if i can give them a big boost on their mission. but i always e-mail and ask and i always take them to travel to all the caches i get in the meantime.

My view is this on TB/Coin hotel caches, if it is done right, hidden in a manner that is easy to find and be used as it is meant to be used then you might see a lot of coins and TBs in the cache, which is what you want. Now it is up to the owner to actually maintain it and move coins/TBs along if they have been sitting in the cache around.

Hotel Caches should be placed close to transport hubs (Air, Rail, Sea). although not too close to cause concern by the authorities. (don't know if this one is or not as i haven't even looked) They are supposed to facilitate the movement of coins/Tb not act as prisons so we can all go visit to discover them.

i like Icons (no point in lying) but i also like to see the numbers go up, be that my cache numbers or the number of miles a coin has travelled. There is no joy in JUST discovering a coin unless you know that you are heading in the opposite direction to the mission.

I have been considering one close to my home. We live close by one of the biggest roads from Scotland to England and have 2 large sevice stations on the road. But i am nervous about the above happening. It would never be left completely unattended as my brother works at the service point so we are over there every day picking him up or dropping off but even if that got raided with 5 coins in it i'd be gutted that your coin had gone walkies.

Anyway, Just my 2pence...

Edited by ljay

One of the coins was sent out by five children. The coin had only made one stop before being placed in your cache.

I have the five children who sent out the coin mentioned above. I decided to check on its status tonight and realized what happened. I am quite sad and dreading reporting the news to them.

Greetings. Email me through my profile with your address, I will send you a new coin for your children to set free. And tell them with every sad event , there are always good ones to follow.

Glenn

One of the coins was sent out by five children. The coin had only made one stop before being placed in your cache.

I have the five children who sent out the coin mentioned above. I decided to check on its status tonight and realized what happened. I am quite sad and dreading reporting the news to them.

Greetings. Email me through my profile with your address, I will send you a new coin for your children to set free. And tell them with every sad event , there are always good ones to follow.

Glenn

Glenn, you are truly so giving and sweet!