Garmin City Navigator NT 2009 DVD Now Available

For those waiting. City Navigator NT 2009 Full DVD Version is now available directly from Garmin. They responded to my email asking when it would be available to say it was available: $99. This should make my fellow Colorado owners happy as I have been eagerly awaiting street maps and routing to caches. My Colorado 300 is now perfect!

linky:

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynav.jsp#

Edited by escapethematrix

Just purchased a full 2008 version off eBay and requested the 2009 update off the Garmin site. Probems prevented me from downloading the update, so I waited the 30min to talk to a rep, and they have agreed to send me a FULL copy of 2009 CNNT.

Can't beat Garmin's customer srevice (by phone)

Edited by by_accident

Hmm, I called to get the full version DVD today and (after a 30 minute wait on hold) they told me they weren't shipping it for two weeks. I guess I got someone who didn't know what he was talking about? I'm bummed. I don't want to spend the money on 2008 if I can readily get 2009, but I don't have any version right now! ;)

Edit: Oh, and he said to call back after July 15, that's when they were starting to take orders for it.

Edited by texaspride28

Anybody notice any major/minor changes ?

Just from looking at the software online at Garmin's website, I did notice at least one change in my area (Huntington, WV). The Guyandotte River doesn't exist on NT 2008, but it does on 2009 (YAY!). This was something minor that just bugged me since I drive on a road right by this river every other day and it doesn't show up on my GPSr. Of course they still haven't fixed some of the incorrect main roads, in my area. Oh well, can't have everything. ;)

PhilAun

Map still doesn't show my street. I'll pass.

Consider the task of keeping up to date with every single road in North America, from Interstate highways right down to a little street in some backwater town in the middle of nowhere. Really think about the effort that would take. I find it mind-boggling. No wonder things get missed. Still, in the areas I travel the data seems to be pretty good most of the time.

Remember that it isn’t just roads that get updated. The database of POI’s also gets updated. Having the latest version doesn’t mean that you won’t have any incorrect data. The system isn’t perfect, and some things that should have been updated get missed. Some data that was correct when it was collected becomes outdated when new businesses open and new roads are built, and old ones go away.

Having the latest version just means that you’ll have correct data more often and incorrect data less often. If you don’t travel much, if you don’t use the POI database much, you can probably get by fine with the older version; but that will increase the probability that you will get an unwanted surprise when using your GPS.

Consider that CN usually gets updated about once a year. I think the going rate for the updates from a dealer is around $60. Over a 12 month period, that averages out to $5 per month. Compare that to how much you spend on just one tank of gas; or maybe a coffee habit; or one meal at a fast food restaurant. Doesn’t seem like a high price to pay for getting the best results that you can with a sophisticated and fairly expensive piece of equipment.

Well, garmin told me that they are keeping part #'s the same from '08 to '09 but if you order city navigator nt now, full dvd, they will give you a free upgrade to '09.......I'm waiting until I'm sure I can get '09.

(My first post at Groundspeak Forum) I read this thread and encourage waiting until good reports are heard. I have been in the middle of Garmin's confusion for days. I received verbal and written confirmation that I would receive a full version CN NA NT 2009 DVD with part # 010-10816-00. I ordered on 06/27/08 and a 2008 version arrived 07/03/08. I just sent support a request for the 2009 update disk to remedy the problem. I will post results when known.

Well, garmin told me that they are keeping part #'s the same from '08 to '09 but if you order city navigator nt now, full dvd, they will give you a free upgrade to '09.......I'm waiting until I'm sure I can get '09.

(My first post at Groundspeak Forum) I read this thread and encourage waiting until good reports are heard. I have been in the middle of Garmin's confusion for days. I received verbal and written confirmation that I would receive a full version CN NA NT 2009 DVD with part # 010-10816-00. I ordered on 06/27/08 and a 2008 version arrived 07/03/08. I just sent support a request for the 2009 update disk to remedy the problem. I will post results when known.

( :( Already made a mistake posting while trying to update this post) 07/07/08 - Today I received a reply from Garmin support that they are sending a 2009 update disk to remedy the problem. If I have not been kicked off here by then I will report when the update arrives.

7/14/08 UPS just dropped off CN NA NT 2009 Update disk. Good service from Garmin made up for their error of shipping 2008. I suggest order, and if a mistake is made feel confident they will take care of you.

7/14/08 UPS just dropped off CN NA NT 2009 Update disk. Good service from Garmin made up for their error of shipping 2008. I suggest order, and if a mistake is made feel confident they will take care of you.

Somewhat.

Similar error happens to me, garmin is bit slow response to my report. The correct disk arrived after I departed on my trip, which mute the purpose why I wanted the update.

Somewhat.

Similar error happens to me, garmin is bit slow response to my report. The correct disk arrived after I departed on my trip, which mute the purpose why I wanted the update.

For me Garmin has always done such a good job I came to take it for granted. The 2009 map release seems to lack internal communication and controls. Support reps appear to be trying to take care of individuals with what they know and are allowed to do. In our case the response to the error demonstrated they are committed to customer service. I am willing to forgive them this time. Not getting the map in time for your trip is a greater inconvenience than I experienced and may not be as forgivable. I have no complaints with the update so far. Hope yours works well when you do get to use it.

Somewhat.

For me Garmin has always done such a good job I came to take it for granted. The 2009 map release seems to lack internal communication and controls. Support reps appear to be trying to take care of individuals with what they know and are allowed to do. In our case the response to the error demonstrated they are committed to customer service. I am willing to forgive them this time. Not getting the map in time for your trip is a greater inconvenience than I experienced and may not be as forgivable. I have no complaints with the update so far. Hope yours works well when you do get to use it.

Somewhat.

Here is what I experienced, that made me not that happy.

On Jul 2, I got the wrong 2008 disk, I already purchased unlocked almost one year ago, called them, provided the order #, get this reply "are you sure when you order the DVD, it says is 2009 version?" I was asked to forward them the order email.

In fact, I already have the 2008 version unlocked as seen on mygarmin history, we all know from mygarmin experience, in that case, 2008 is not an upgrade option, 2009 is the only clickable upgrade, garmin should not question this in the first place, it is how their web service is designed.

Then immediately I forward them my order email, on Jul 2.

Garmin emailed me back on Jul 8, 6 days later, telling me the correct one was to be shipped on Jul 9, totally a week to resolve it (well, Jul 4 was a holiday).

I have 3 Garmin gpsr, paid update every year since 2005, plus two different version topo 2008 and 24k national park topo maps, all regsistered, they should know what type of customer I am.

Edited by dualcore

Just purchased a full 2008 version off eBay and requested the 2009 update off the Garmin site. Probems prevented me from downloading the update, so I waited the 30min to talk to a rep, and they have agreed to send me a FULL copy of 2009 CNNT.

Can't beat Garmin's customer srevice (by phone)

Received disk from Garmin, but unfortunately they sent me 2008 instead of 2009. So another call to Garmin, another lengthy hold, but this time I got someone who was able to fix the original problem preventing me from getting the 2009 update in the first place. Now that that has been corrected, my gpsr is up to date with the latest version.

:huh::):huh:

FIRST POST.

i'm looking for a definitive answer on whether or not City Navigator North America NT 2009 update will work on an out-of-the-box 60csx?? what about an out of the box colorado 400t?

there are one or two forum posts (elswhere, i think) that indicate it's a stand-alone product, and a couple others that say it must have a 'full' version to be usable. other than that, everything i see is cryptic at best.

i ordered the update with a 60csx, but i'm ready to return the 60csx in favor of a colorado 400t. the software sits unopened on my desk cuz i don't wanna blow $60 if i can get it free with a 'full' 2008 version. the box, like any info on the net, is unclear about just whether or not "updating the preloaded North American maps on your Garmin GPS unit" means it'll update the 60csx or colorado 400t base maps. i know it says update, but has anyone experience in this matter??

btw, my ol' lady and i are really looking forward to starting our geocaching career. never done it before. :anitongue:

FIRST POST.

i'm looking for a definitive answer on whether or not City Navigator North America NT 2009 update will work on an out-of-the-box 60csx?? what about an out of the box colorado 400t?

there are one or two forum posts (elswhere, i think) that indicate it's a stand-alone product, and a couple others that say it must have a 'full' version to be usable. other than that, everything i see is cryptic at best.

i ordered the update with a 60csx, but i'm ready to return the 60csx in favor of a colorado 400t. the software sits unopened on my desk cuz i don't wanna blow $60 if i can get it free with a 'full' 2008 version. the box, like any info on the net, is unclear about just whether or not "updating the preloaded North American maps on your Garmin GPS unit" means it'll update the 60csx or colorado 400t base maps. i know it says update, but has anyone experience in this matter??

btw, my ol' lady and i are really looking forward to starting our geocaching career. never done it before. :anitongue:

--------

Good choice getting the CSx. You will be able to do it all. Out of the box you have a base map. The update is for a specific map. Your GPS has no specific map in it. You will want to purchase a full version of the 2009 CN NT. You can get it on DVD to install on your computer and then download to the GPS. This is the way most want to go. An alternative is to buy the map on a SD card. If you purchase the DVD you will need to purchase a 2 GB micro SD card for the GPS to store the map data (located under batts). I suggest purchase of the Map DVD from Garmin and the card from a store like BestBuy or Circuit City. Check the Garmin FAQ regarding their suggested card. I had good success with San Disk. Do not get a card brand or type not suggested by Garmin. If you go the DVD route turn off energy saving modes in your computer because the download to the GPS takes almost two hours. Do not worry about it if the map you order turns out to be a 2008 version. Garmin will ship a 2009 update disk at request. Once you have put a full version map in your GPS you will only need to buy updates in the future. Hope this helps out. Have fun caching

Do I understand it correctly that you can not buy a full version of City Nav 09 and install in on a Nuvi 200W, you can only do an update to 09? I want to get the full version so I can use it on the 200W and my 76csx. Thanks.

You "could" buy a full version. However, each full version can only be used on ONE GPS. So for your intended use, you would need to buy two full copies. Thus it would be cheaper to buy one full version for the 76Csx and an upgrade for the 200W.

thanks for the info, mm and questerx. is what you say also true of the CO400t?? it has a different basemap than the 60csx, so will the 2009 nacn NT update do anything for that map??

i know what the box says, but if it's unusable for some of these units out of the box, then the product description for the update--both on the box and at the website--is a bit shady at best.

Edited by Coddfish

thanks for the info, mm and questerx. is what you say also true of the CO400t?? it has a different basemap than the 60csx, so will the 2009 nacn NT update do anything for that map??

i know what the box says, but if it's unusable for some of these units out of the box, then the product description for the update--both on the box and at the website--is a bit shady at best.

---

Garmin sells units that are preloaded with full version maps and units with only base maps. A base map will not update. A full version will update.

Some units like the Colorado 400t are preloaded with a Topo map: http://tinyurl.com/5zq3mw

It is important before you order a full version map or update to first determine what you have in the GPS. Is the map a "base" or a "full" version? The Garmin site will help with determining the maps that work with the GPS model you have. I use the CN NA NT for geocaching. The majority of caches are located in areas the map covers, and CN NA also allows the GPS to help with road trips etc. Figure out as much as you can here then confirm with Garmin. I ask via email to support. I then have their written response to cover me if an error is made. By figuring it out here first I know what to say in my email to them. They are responding to a large number of questions quickly and likely will not spend much time on their response. The more direct the question the better the chance of a good answer.

Is it possible you are confusing an update with an original-install (full-install) version? I’m not able to find a page on Garmin’s web site that shows a CN update; only the original-install version. This is not an update. When I click on the link on that page for the map updates, it requests a unit serial number to see whether any updates are available. Since there aren’t any for my unit, it doesn’t display a page to buy the update. I can’t find any other way to display a page describing the update. So when you talk about the product description on their web site, I wonder what you’re looking at. The product linked above will work with any compatible unit out of the box, because it’s an original-install version.

You might want to check out this post to make sure you are using the correct terminology.

Is it possible you are confusing an update with an original-install (full-install) version? I’m not able to find a page on Garmin’s web site that shows a CN update; only the original-install version. This is not an update. When I click on the link on that page for the map updates, it requests a unit serial number to see whether any updates are available. Since there aren’t any for my unit, it doesn’t display a page to buy the update. I can’t find any other way to display a page describing the update. So when you talk about the product description on their web site, I wonder what you’re looking at. The product linked above will work with any compatible unit out of the box, because it’s an original-install version.

You might want to check out this post to make sure you are using the correct terminology.

Could be I am not understanding your post. I don't think you are addressing a question to me, but I want to make sure. If you connect a GPS with a base map to Map Updates it will respond with no updates available because the base map does not get updated. If you have a full version map installed you can see if updates are available for that map. If you are shopping the Garmin website will describe what comes with the model you are looking at. If you click the Maps tab you can see what maps are sold for the unit. Also the accessories tab will take you via model to the page with a maps tab. If you have a unit in hand you can see what is in the unit. Am I following what you said? Were you advising Coddfish and I am showing my confusion by butting in? :laughing:

Can you provide a link to the description that you think is misleading?

As stated above, the UPDATE form of the City Navigator maps can only be used for GPS units which either come preloaded with the City Navigator maps or for GPS units for which you have already unlocked a previous version of the City Navigator maps.

The TOPO maps and the basemaps are completely, completely a different thing from the City Navigator detail street maps.

If you don't already have a previous the City Navigator maps unlocked to your GPS unit, you must purchase the FULL VERSION. Not sure what the confusion is.

Can you provide a link to the description that you think is misleading?

As stated above, the UPDATE form of the City Navigator maps can only be used for GPS units which either come preloaded with the City Navigator maps or for GPS units for which you have already unlocked a previous version of the City Navigator maps.

The TOPO maps and the basemaps are completely, completely a different thing from the City Navigator detail street maps.

If you don't already have a previous the City Navigator maps unlocked to your GPS unit, you must purchase the FULL VERSION. Not sure what the confusion is.

thank you all very much for your help.

1) from the box of the Map Update 2009 for North America NT: "DO YOU NEED THIS UPDATE? Check the map info page on your unit. If it does not display 2009, you need this update."

2) also from the box: "For the most up-to-date maps and navigation on your portable Garmin GPS unit, this is the software you want."

3)from the website on the City Navigator North America (NOT update) page: "Note: You cannot use this product to update the maps on your preloaded Garmin device. To order updated map data for your preloaded Garmin device, visit the Map Updates page" but the link takes you to a query without telling anything for those who have not yet bought and want to get the right maps.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavnt.jsp

4) also from the website on the Colorado description page: "Colorado's preloaded U.S. topographic maps. . . . ." ie., the CO does have a preloaded map. Truth be told, so does the 60 csx. and it says so somewhere.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=11022

there are other examples, but NO WHERE does it explicitly say that the full version of the software is needed for the update to work on these units, at least not in any place i've searched, and definitely not on the box of the product itself.

NOW, people might think that it's obvious that the cnnaNT 2009 update would never be used on a CO or 60csx out of he box, but why? where does it specifically state that? and even if it does state it somewhere in small print, there are statements to the contrary in plain view when, taken by themselves, indicate that the 2009 update is "needed" for all units with pre 2009 maps. misleading, and--i'll say it again--it's shady at best.

for newbies' (my) sake it would be a nice and reputable thing for garmin to simply state SOMEWHERE in plain view that the 2009 update will not update maps on the handhelds without a full cnnaNT version. there's no reason not to.

Edited by Coddfish

Coddfish, I appreciate the fact that your lack of understanding of how the maps and map updates work has caused you confusion. However, it's a big leap to say that their information on the subject is shady. That's a pretty strong word.

The 60CSx does not have preloaded TOPO maps. I'm not sure where you got that from.

Also, on the box for the City Navigator update, I'm guessing that if you continue to read, it will also list all the models and products for which it works. Only quoting part of what it reads is somewhat disingenuous.

And the Colorado having the Topo maps preloaded in no way influences it being eligible for use with the update product for a City Navigator product which is a completely, completely different product.

As to your #3 point, again you have only quoted part of it and left most of it off. The full statement on that page is, "Note: You cannot use this product to update the maps on your preloaded Garmin device. To order updated map data for your preloaded Garmin device, visit the Map Updates page."

It's very obvious that the link is provided only for people who are looking to update the maps preloaded on their GPS unit as indicated by the part that reads "To order updated map data for your preloaded Garmin device ..." and provides a link.

Otherwise, in order to purchase the product on the page, you scroll down on that page and click the "Buy" button.

And in addition to all that information, several people in this thread have attempted to clarify exactly what is needed to qualify for the update.

Here's Garmin's Customer Support phone number and hours. You don't need to already be a customer to contact them.

North America

(for all Garmin products except Apollo aircraft)

Hours of Operation

Monday – Friday: 8 am – 7 pm

Central time (closed holidays)

Product Support

Phone

1-800-800-1020 (U.S.)

1-866-429-9296 (Canada) or (913) 397-8200

I don't think you are addressing a question to me, but I want to make sure.
I appreciate that. :laughing: My intention was to reply to Coddfish.

If you connect a GPS with a base map to Map Updates it will respond with no updates available because the base map does not get updated. If you have a full version map installed you can see if updates are available for that map.
I realize now that I left out the rather important bit of information that my unit has CNNA 2009 NT unlocked to it. That’s why Garmin’s Map Update page doesn’t find any updates: because 2009 is the current product.

Were you advising Coddfish and I am showing my confusion by butting in? :laughing:

As I said, that was my intention; but your confusion was caused by my omission of crucial information. :laughing: My apologies. I have no problems with well-intentioned buttinskies. :unsure:

The way I read Coddfish’s post, I thought he was saying that he read a description of the CNN upgrade on Garmin’s web site. The purpose of that part of my response was to verify that he was indeed looking at a description of the update and not of the original-install version, since I couldn’t find any description of the update on Garmin’s web site. I believe Coddfish’s subsequent post is indicating that he saw the update description on Amazon’s, not Garmin’s, web site.

I believe Coddfish’s subsequent post is indicating that he saw the update description on Amazon’s, not Garmin’s, web site.

you are correct, sir. i realized after my last post that i hadn't really seen a 2009 update description on garmin's site, but neither was there anything there to point me to an answer to my question. i found that the other descriptions--cnnaNT2008, colorado, and 60csx--obfuscated the issue. and really, there's no reason for that. they got lawyers, they could figure it out.

i really do appreciate all the help y'all have given me. this seems like a great little community here; very helpful and quick!

since i'm sitting here with a useless 2009 update, and since the update should come free with a full cnnaNT 2008 purchase, you guys think they'd work a deal where i could pay the difference in the price between the two? that way i wouldn't have to pay to ship it to amazon just to have it shipped back.

i'm really frustrated and confused. and a little hungry.

I don't think you are addressing a question to me, but I want to make sure.
I appreciate that. :D My intention was to reply to Coddfish.

The way I read Coddfish’s post, I thought he was saying that he read a description of the CNN upgrade on Garmin’s web site. The purpose of that part of my response was to verify that he was indeed looking at a description of the update and not of the original-install version, since I couldn’t find any description of the update on Garmin’s web site. I believe Coddfish’s subsequent post is indicating that he saw the update description on Amazon’s, not Garmin’s, web site.

I think if Coddfish provided a specific model being considered and the map desired it would be easier to determine how to get there from here. Garmin has put out many models and it can be confusing. Thanks for the good reply. :D :D

Coddfish, I appreciate the fact that your lack of understanding of how the maps and map updates work has caused you confusion. However, it's a big leap to say that their information on the subject is shady. That's a pretty strong word.

The 60CSx does not have preloaded TOPO maps. I'm not sure where you got that from.

Also, on the box for the City Navigator update, I'm guessing that if you continue to read, it will also list all the models and products for which it works. Only quoting part of what it reads is somewhat disingenuous.

And the Colorado having the Topo maps preloaded in no way influences it being eligible for use with the update product for a City Navigator product which is a completely, completely different product.

As to your #3 point, again you have only quoted part of it and left most of it off. The full statement on that page is, "Note: You cannot use this product to update the maps on your preloaded Garmin device. To order updated map data for your preloaded Garmin device, visit the Map Updates page."

It's very obvious that the link is provided only for people who are looking to update the maps preloaded on their GPS unit as indicated by the part that reads "To order updated map data for your preloaded Garmin device ..." and provides a link.

Otherwise, in order to purchase the product on the page, you scroll down on that page and click the "Buy" button.

And in addition to all that information, several people in this thread have attempted to clarify exactly what is needed to qualify for the update.

I believe Coddfish’s subsequent post is indicating that he saw the update description on Amazon’s, not Garmin’s, web site.

mm, i never suggested that the 60csx has a topo preloaded. it does, however, have a preloaded map. so when a software product says i need it if my maps are pre 2009, then why would i think i wouldn't need it if my maps are pre 2009??

the cnnaNT 2009 update box i have does not mention the colorado at all.

i appreciate that the TOPO and the cnnaNT maps are completely, completely different products, but nowhere does it say that they are incompatable and that one won't work with or enhance the other? but really, it doesn't even matter that they are different. for a person who's new to the game, what's that matter?? other software works with completely, completely different software all the time. i simply can't find where it indicates you need a full version of cnnaNT for ANY unit.

as for being disingenuous, a bold lettered statement on the plastic package stating that i "NEED THIS SOFTWARE" IF MY MAP INFO PAGE INDICATES A YEAR PRIOR TO 2009. . . . .THAT is disengenuous. period. it's apparently not true. some might call that a lie.

that statement and others make it seem as though the update could be used by any and all garmin units with maps dated prior to 2009. those statements are out in plain view, no digging required. there is, on the other hand, no statement from garmin itself (except perhaps via a csr?) that the updates won't update an out-of-the-box colorado, or that the colorado needs a "full' version of cnnaNT rather than an update. please show me if i'm mistaken.

FACT: there is no plain indication on any garmin page, or on the product itself, that the 2009 update will not work on a new colorado (or 60 csx). to avoid confusion, there should be.

shady(or "unreliable") is, i think, by definition really not that strong a word. dishonest, corrupt, swindling, murderous, theiving and the like; those are strong words.

i may be thick, but i'm not disengenuous. i have a useless copy of garmin software to prove both.

Edited by Coddfish

Here's what it reads on the card that is in my update DVD.

Compatible unit:

Preloaded GPS unit: (and then it lists a long list of units that came with these maps preloaded)

Will also update MapSource City Navigator North America NT when used wth eTrex Legend Cx, Venture Cx, Vista Cx, GPSMPAP 276, 376, 60Cx, 60CSx, 76Cx, 76Csx.

It seems very clear to me. It doesn't just say "if you don't have the latest maps, you need this".

Again, just because you lacked the knowledge about the difference between the different map types and products does not mean that Garmin is being misleading. The people in this thread have tried to information and educate you about the differences.

Simply put, the 60CSx and the Colorado do not come preloaded with the City Navigator maps. And units that don't come preloaded with the City Navigator maps are not compatible with the update DVD. If you didn't understand that prior to purchasing the disk that's unfortunate, but I can't see how it's Garmin's fault. It's important to to adequate research prior to making a purchase.

i lack the knowledge because garmin has shady info. believe me, it wasn't for lack of research.

you don't have the cd, so you apparently wouldn't know what my cd says. it says quite clearly verbatim what i wrote above. i need it, cuz my maps are pre 2009.

and yours doesn't say anything about a colorado, does it???? what's clear about that??

a family friend who is a judge of 26 years looked at it and did not understand how or why they could print that statement on the box when it's clearly untrue. she actually spent some time looking into it, and came away with the same conclusions i did.

i called garmin, and the csr said this confusion is quite common. there is a special procedure he has for those who make this mistake. . . . .since it happens so frequently!

"am i the only one to do this?" says i. "not at all ," says he. "when you told me what was going on, i knew exactly what to do because this happens to a lot of people." people who've made the mistake can send in the opened or unopened 2009 update from any retailer, and get the "full" version for the price difference. . garmin pays for most shipping, making mine an additinoal 35$. i'm still out more than i would've been had they or amazon simply stated what's up. from what i can tell, amazon's "full" version is only listed as an update, a 2007 update.

even retailers, he said, were wont to pass on the 2009 update as if it were usable with the colorado AND OTHERS.

btw, i sincerely appreciate garmin's call center being usa based. man, what a difference between them and earthlink.

anyhoo, garmin acknowledges its info causes confusion that leads to unusable purchases. don't you think they would put some simple statement somewhere, on the site or on product boxes, that explains a person needs a full version first???? or at least take the misleading statements OFF??? why wouldn't they do this?? it would take all of a few minutes to do it on the site, and it would save who knows how many dopes like me hours of annoyance.

what, do you work for them?? do you write the product descriptions?? something's not quite right. unlike you, i'm not personally attacking anyone's intellegence or honesty, just poking at a big international company that's known for getting what money it can out of people. it is a fact that they continue to perpetuate this confusion. why??

i'm done with this. thanks to some of you here, i'll get the maps i need. thanks to garmin, i'll get them in 10-14 days at a slightly higher overall cost than what i could've paid to get them last week. problem (annoyingly) solved.

i sincerely thank all of you who've offered your help. all except mm, who was insulting and disengenuous.

Edited by Coddfish

While initially I didn't quite suffer the same level confusion as CodFish when purchasing City Nav NT 2009 for my Legend HCx I did have to do some research before making my purchase. If you go the map area of the Garmin web page things are not really laid out that well (it's clearly a much older design that the rest of the site). Familiarity with Garmin's products and software nomenclature is a must for anything to make since without reading everything first. Look at it from the eyes of a beginer. Who would guess that you would buy City Navigator for detailed road maps of North America (wouldn't North America Road/City Maps 2009 make more since?). What exactly is MetroGuide (does the name mean it will have better city details then City Nav, the description is not clear about this)? Why wouldn't I buy that for my GPS instead of City Nav 2009? The descriptions on the web page are just barely sufficient and you really need to read them carefully (3 times) to make sure your doing things correctly.

It really falls apart when it comes to the City Nav 2009 upgrade. You can't even find any info in the Maps area about that. Just a small link in one of the pages telling you that to upgrade maps on your preloaded device you need to click on this link. Preloaded.....if I was new at this I might think that the basemap was the preloaded map they are talking about. After all it's not very good and it would make a lot of since to upgrade it.”

When I called Garmin to order City Nav 2009 NT last week (I called because the Map site was having security issues) the CSR said, and I'm quoting him, "ya, our map website is retarded."”

Edited by ryleyinstl

Look before you leap is good advice. I did not see any problem with MM's replies. Frustration being mostly emotion can make things look different. All is turning out pretty well because of Garmins customer service. Coddfish, if you can get to an REI they are usually a great place to learn more about Garmin GPS. REI stores are in Boston, Framington, Hingham, and Reading. There may be more locations? I suggest patience for caching and with learning all of the tricks a Garmin can do. You are on the right track looking at upper end models. One other suggestion, use the Garmin site enough to get use to it. There is lots of info at their site (and here in the forums). :rolleyes:

can some one tell me when the City Navigator 2009 not the NT version is out all i keep seeing is the NT try the Gramin site and the web shops or do i buy the City Navigator 2008 and then do i get a free update or do i have to pay for it.

I now there is a lot of question's seems very hard to understand my GPS is garmin GPSmap60cs

Thanks

Labrador wild man

can some one tell me when the City Navigator 2009 not the NT version is out all i keep seeing is the NT try the Gramin site and the web shops or do i buy the City Navigator 2008 and then do i get a free update or do i have to pay for it.

I now there is a lot of question's seems very hard to understand my GPS is garmin GPSmap60cs

Thanks

Labrador wild man

If you own any prior version of city navigator AND have unlocked it, then you should find the update order link in myMap section, in your account @

https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces

Otherwise, you have to purchase a full version

Either full or update version (for non-nt) have to be purchased directly from garmin @ the URL below. This is different from NT version, which you can purchase it from many resellers.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynav.jsp#

Many recent handhelp GPSrs can read either formats, If a handhelp GPSr claims support NT map, it most probably support non-NT map too even though Garmin may not claims so.

Edited by dualcore