Suggestions for an EarthCache in south central Michigan

TerryDad2

Does anyone have some ideas for an EarthCache in South Central Michigan. I've been asked for suggestions, but that area is not my forte.

I might be out in the area this weekend... I have a 14 yr. old nephew in South Bend who is interested in ECs.

Most of the ECs in northern IN and southern MI deal primarly w/hyrdography or glacial features.

Does anyone have some ideas for an EarthCache in South Central Michigan. I've been asked for suggestions, but that area is not my forte.

The salt mines should be re-invigorated! (if they haven't already...)

Are you talking about Detroit Salt Mines GCNR7Z

oops... thought that one missed the 'new guideline' cut. thanks!

(...looking back over the geological history of Michigan) I was always told that ocean water once covered the state. Surely, there must be some other facinating remnants of this phenom exposed to the elements... somewhere?

Glacial landforming - moraines, erratics, kame & kettle kind of stuff. I spent three years finishing up my undergrad degree at Central Michigan University (Mt Pleasant) thirty+ years ago, and one of the science curriculum classes had us looking all over the counties to the south at the glacial remnants.

The folks buying up the Centennial Farms (those plain folks who still use horses instead of tractors) like the 100+ year old farms because the 'potato field' of small glacial cobble has been made into fences and rockpiles on the oldest farms... which makes that country a great place to wonder where all the rocks came from.