Birmingham Cachers - Get together?

Of course! I work in the city centre (and have a few caches there - which you haven't done yet!!) so that would be ideal for me. Suggest some times / locations a couple of weeks hence and you're bound to get a few people turning up. If you buy me a pint I may accidentally let slip a hint . . . ;)

mj

I've recently introduced my friend Slappersire to caching, and we've noticed a few of the same names popping up in logs of our recent finds - anyone in Birmingham fancy a pub trip & a natter one night?

If you like, you could make it a "proper" cache meet. There's nothing to it! I'm sure the locals (Team Balders included) would be happy to offer advice and help.

If you like, you could make it a "proper" cache meet. There's nothing to it! I'm sure the locals (Team Balders included) would be happy to offer advice and help.

Time for a gratuitous plug ---

Team Balders will be holding a cache meet in November at The Griffin, Shustoke to celebrate a certain birthday ending in zero!

Thank you, now back to our regular programming.

Hi. I saw this thread earlier today whilst working with Team Balders. Firstly as a relative newbie I would love a local meet up and as I am a Kings Norton lad anywhere in Brum is ok for me. Secondly, as a co-worker with Team Balders, try as I might, I can't get the lowdown on his cache hides.

TB birthday...we know the second number is zero....what's the first?? It's all about the numbers!

Guessing the first digit "correctly" could earn an FTF for my event :)

well done kev on reaching your 70 th. :):)

is that close enough for a FTF or a clip around the ear .

Cheeky Young Whippersnapper!

Looks like some Midlands forum readers are up for this. And I'm sure others would be as word got out. What say we make it a (say) quarterly meeting somewhere in the city centre, which is readily accessible to everyone via public transport? I think it would be a great way for people to put faces to names etc... I'm pretty sure other areas do this sort of thing.

I'm too busy to organise something just now, possibly even to turn up to a meet (I'm hardly ever at my desk in Bham now it seems!), but think it would be great to get some dates in the diary eg 2nd Thursday of Sept, Dec, March and June. We could publicise dates and venue via a cache so that visitors to the area could turn up and know they will be among like minded folk for an evening. See for example this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...41-fd0bbdc096ae

Any thoughts?

mj

........ What say we make it a (say) quarterly meeting somewhere in the city centre, which is readily accessible to everyone via public transport? I think it would be a great way for people to put faces to names etc... I'm pretty sure other areas do this sort of thing.

------ cut ------

Any thoughts?

mj

Excellent idea Mumbo - I'm up for it (turning up, not actually organising it - okay, I'll help)

Looks like some Midlands forum readers are up for this. And I'm sure others would be as word got out. What say we make it a (say) quarterly meeting somewhere in the city centre, which is readily accessible to everyone via public transport? I think it would be a great way for people to put faces to names etc... I'm pretty sure other areas do this sort of thing.

I'm too busy to organise something just now, possibly even to turn up to a meet (I'm hardly ever at my desk in Bham now it seems!), but think it would be great to get some dates in the diary eg 2nd Thursday of Sept, Dec, March and June. We could publicise dates and venue via a cache so that visitors to the area could turn up and know they will be among like minded folk for an evening. See for example this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...41-fd0bbdc096ae

Any thoughts?

mj

Sounds great MJ - while I can't technically do Thursdays, I could skip the occasional Lindy Hop class for it!

I have spoken with "The Strangler" and we MAY be willing to organise a get together. Perhaps if Dave and I did the first one, someone else could do the next and so on.

The Strangler has started researching a venue, perhaps a pub just outside of the city centre (within walking distance)?

After a long day doing things other than caching, my attempts at research into a suitable venue failed miserably! I am hoping to do some 'research' over the weekend and will keep this thread updated. In the meantime, am I reading correctly that Thursday nights are not the best? So far, I think that we need a majority opinion on a suitable evening, venue notwithstanding so lets hear from you.

Well as Mr Team Balders is definitely not 70 I will guess 40 and he doesnt look a day older.

Black Widow - I love you :D

Methinks Team Balders is getting hot beneath the collar forsooth! :lol: Now I know his REAL age and I am willing to divulge the information to the first cacher at our forthcoming meet that plies me with beer! :D

Edited by The Strangler

:ph34r: Ok this is how i understand it! Thursday night in brum is the new friday night ! so thurs everywhere will be rammed ! Hardly the atmosphere we would wish for good conversation.

The Old joint stock is an excellent pub which also sells real ale! bonus however put to the vote my X would go next to the Wellington ( which is only next door to joint stock!)

So Andy says Mon to Wed in the Welly ( not mon TO wed that would be some kind of bender ! but im up for that too!) But i can do just about any day! :unsure:

:blink: Hi Snuggle bug, Welcome to our world! Write on a note on your pc saying Geocaching will never be about numbers! Then find it again in about seven months and cry because of what you have become! ONLY JOKING!! Now post again saying "yes i will be coming , wednesday is best for me , in the welly would be great!" Good luck caching! :(

Not sure I recognise the Thursday issue. Tues / Weds for me are likely to require special "dispensation". Unfortunately, I am in a constant state of matrimonial brownie point overdraft (recently worse than ever on account of a ridiculously intense job at work) :huh: I'll have to use all my charm and negotiation skills!!

The Welly doesn't have so many nooks and crannies for a group to gather and I'm not sure if it does food in the evening (for any that want it). I'll check and report back.

mj

Phil is going to do a recy of the Welly for us ! That man is a real martyr for the course! GOD BLESS YOU PHIL! Take one for the team! The space in the Welly could be a problem . I think we need a show of hands! For this i think we need to at least pick a week then narrow it down! Now im backing away with out opening up a whole new hornets nest!! :D

:rolleyes: Back again. I am with Mumbo on the venue (TOJS) and Wednesday for the night. :rolleyes: Just to add fuel to the fire, it is coming up to holiday :rolleyes: season so I would guess getting total agreement on a first meet date is going to be as rare as my recent cache finds! Personally, the mid two weeks in August are off limits for me but anything else is OK. I think we should be getting this on sooner than later for the first meeting but July is nearly gone. What about Wednesday 6th August or is that too soon?

Guess what? Another newbie!! :sunsure: You got the yanks to thank for this one I'm afraid. :rolleyes: I'd love the opportunity to get together with some other cachers and yap away. Being close to Stourbridge, meeting in Brum is good for me, dont know St pauls square well but not a prob being on the buses so to speak! Only problem I have is do I tell the wife that we are meeting up with other cachers when I tell her I'm taking her out for the night? or just surprise her? :rolleyes:

I much prefer Wednesday to Thursday & I think Slappersire will too.

Team Balders & The Strangler - we'd be happy to organise the 2nd one. City Centre pub would be good, one which does food would be nice. I know the knitters like the Shakespeare near the back of New Street station - nice place, good curly fries!

The Strangler and I ( in consultation with others) have made an executive decision to hold the inaugural Brummie Meet event at The Old Joint Stock, Temple Row, Birmingham from 7pm on Wednesday 6th August. It will be very informal - just a beer and a natter. There will be no new caches, no guided walks, CITO or the like.

It is hoped to hold a similar event in the first week of every third month (August, November, February and May) with different cachers hosting the event each time.

We have decided to make it a proper event so that some people can bump up their numbers (not that I go in for that sort of thing :lol: )

GC1EEB7