Admitted cache pirates

The Jester

Hmm, 1 for the 20th, 1 for the 27th, 2 for either (including me) - hydnsek you have the deciding vote... :)

I'm gone for the weekend, I'll try and check here on Sunday night.

Oops, I forgot I'm out of town on the 20th. Gotta be the 27th or no go for me.

Well, I've been out-voted by a majority of one :huh: - my wife can go on the 27th, so that's the date - sorry LandRover. I'm a little groggy - I've had less then 8 hours of sleep since Friday :) - so details will have to wait until I'm really awake. But it takes about 3 hours to drive to the parking spot, it's two miles to the cave and about 1/2 mile thru it, so we'll work out the rest in the next few days. 'Till later ... Good Night!

Hmm, 1 for the 20th, 1 for the 27th, 2 for either (including me) - hydnsek you have the deciding vote... :)

I'm gone for the weekend, I'll try and check here on Sunday night.

Oops, I forgot I'm out of town on the 20th. Gotta be the 27th or no go for me.

Well, I've been out-voted by a majority of one :huh: - my wife can go on the 27th, so that's the date - sorry LandRover. I'm a little groggy - I've had less then 8 hours of sleep since Friday :) - so details will have to wait until I'm really awake. But it takes about 3 hours to drive to the parking spot, it's two miles to the cave and about 1/2 mile thru it, so we'll work out the rest in the next few days. 'Till later ... Good Night!

No problem, I'm still going next week and will just use the coordinates from you're disabled caches to find Ole's Cave and go through it even if there is no cache to find. The mark of a good cache is a cache that brings you to a place that you would want to go to even if there was no cache there and this is exactly that. Believe it or not the reason I bought my first GPS was to map out some of the caves in the area, and when we spent that vacation all hunkered down in the trail because it poured that entire week my plans of finding any caves went down the drain with all the rain. Well now I had this GPS that I had no idea what to do with so I got on that Internet thingy and discovered Geocaching.

Well, I've been out-voted by a majority of one :D - my wife can go on the 27th, so that's the date - sorry LandRover. I'm a little groggy - I've had less then 8 hours of sleep since Friday :blink: - so details will have to wait until I'm really awake. But it takes about 3 hours to drive to the parking spot, it's two miles to the cave and about 1/2 mile thru it, so we'll work out the rest in the next few days. 'Till later ... Good Night!

Doesn't anyone else work on Wednesdays? :) No problem, I should be able to take the day off and join the adventure on 8/27. Anyone interested in sharing the drive from the Seattle area?

Well, I've been out-voted by a majority of one :D - my wife can go on the 27th, so that's the date - sorry LandRover. I'm a little groggy - I've had less then 8 hours of sleep since Friday :blink: - so details will have to wait until I'm really awake. But it takes about 3 hours to drive to the parking spot, it's two miles to the cave and about 1/2 mile thru it, so we'll work out the rest in the next few days. 'Till later ... Good Night!

Doesn't anyone else work on Wednesdays? :) No problem, I should be able to take the day off and join the adventure on 8/27. Anyone interested in sharing the drive from the Seattle area?

depending on how many people go, I probibly could drive.

Well, I've been out-voted by a majority of one :blink: - my wife can go on the 27th, so that's the date - sorry LandRover. I'm a little groggy - I've had less then 8 hours of sleep since Friday :) - so details will have to wait until I'm really awake. But it takes about 3 hours to drive to the parking spot, it's two miles to the cave and about 1/2 mile thru it, so we'll work out the rest in the next few days. 'Till later ... Good Night!

Doesn't anyone else work on Wednesdays? :D No problem, I should be able to take the day off and join the adventure on 8/27. Anyone interested in sharing the drive from the Seattle area?

I'm interested in carpooling as well. Hydi can hold 3 comfortably (including me), 4 max. I live in Newcastle (between Bellevue and Renton), off exit 9 on I-405.

Well, I've been out-voted by a majority of one :) - my wife can go on the 27th, so that's the date - sorry LandRover. I'm a little groggy - I've had less then 8 hours of sleep since Friday :blink: - so details will have to wait until I'm really awake. But it takes about 3 hours to drive to the parking spot, it's two miles to the cave and about 1/2 mile thru it, so we'll work out the rest in the next few days. 'Till later ... Good Night!

Doesn't anyone else work on Wednesdays? :D No problem, I should be able to take the day off and join the adventure on 8/27. Anyone interested in sharing the drive from the Seattle area?

I'm interested in carpooling as well. Hydi can hold 3 comfortably (including me), 4 max. I live in Newcastle (between Bellevue and Renton), off exit 9 on I-405.

Ok.... You're in Newcastle, I'm in Issaquah and Andrew will pass through our neck of the woods on his way south so looks like we have enough local folks to share the drive. BabyShoooter is fence straddling on this one, but may go too. My family truckster can carry 4 adults comfortably, 5 if everyone smells good (7 if 2 people are smaller than the average 7yo.)

BTW, I have coordinates for 3 other nearby caves if anyone is up for a bit more exploring. Not sure how much hiking is involved, but would guess 2-3 miles total.

I'm definitely driving - my van can hold 7 (2 spoken for - driver & wife :blink: ), we live south end of Renton (above Valley Medical Center). I know Prying Pandora is close by.

I don't mind getting an early start - depending on the the definition of early. This is a work day so we will have rush hour in Tacoma to deal with, depending on time. Though, Hwy 167 to 512 may skip most of that.

Where would be a good place to meet and join up?

BTW, I have coordinates for 3 other nearby caves if anyone is up for a bit more exploring. Not sure how much hiking is involved, but would guess 2-3 miles total.

Since I'm missing out on the group adventure but will still be down there next week woud you mind sharing the coordinates of the other caves? If you don't want to post the coordinates to the thread you can e-mail me through my profile.

Since I'm missing out on the group adventure but will still be down there next week woud you mind sharing the coordinates of the other caves? If you don't want to post the coordinates to the thread you can e-mail me through my profile.

I'll share if you promise to stir up lots of controversy by placing caches in/near these caves. :D

I'll share if you promise to stir up lots of controversy by placing caches in/near these caves. :(

Will a multi with nano waypoints inside each of the lava tubes that lead to an ammo can filled with what's left of my DB Copper's Hijack money? I've been waiting for the heat over that whole jumping out of the plane thing to simmer down, but every time I'm just about ready to start spending the money, some one finds a scap of something somewhere in SW washington claiming it to be part of my gear and up goes the heat again. So I've finally decided I might as well just figure out a way to get rid of all the money and be done with it. :D

I'll share if you promise to stir up lots of controversy by placing caches in/near these caves. :(

Will a multi with nano waypoints inside each of the lava tubes that lead to an ammo can filled with what's left of my DB Copper's Hijack money? I've been waiting for the heat over that whole jumping out of the plane thing to simmer down, but every time I'm just about ready to start spending the money, some one finds a scap of something somewhere in SW washington claiming it to be part of my gear and up goes the heat again. So I've finally decided I might as well just figure out a way to get rid of all the money and be done with it. :(

If you put a nano in one of those lava tubes and someone finds it, they deserve the money. Goodness knows you won't be using it as the irate mob will have lynched you for doing that :D

I'm definitely driving - my van can hold 7 (2 spoken for - driver & wife :D ), we live south end of Renton (above Valley Medical Center). I know Prying Pandora is close by.

I don't mind getting an early start - depending on the the definition of early. This is a work day so we will have rush hour in Tacoma to deal with, depending on time. Though, Hwy 167 to 512 may skip most of that.

I at least will be driving as well. I need to have to option of taking off early if needed. I can easily fit 3 in my truck. Hence the early start request. I know its early, but I was hoping to leave the eastside by 8 at the very latest. 7 or so would be better.

Edited by AndrewRJ

I'm definitely driving - my van can hold 7 (2 spoken for - driver & wife :D ), we live south end of Renton (above Valley Medical Center). I know Prying Pandora is close by.

I at least will be driving as well. I need to have to option of taking off early if needed. I can easily fit 3 in my truck. Hence the early start request. I know its early, but I was hoping to leave the eastside by 8 at the very latest. 7 or so would be better.

Any time between 7 - 8 works for me (that's hardly "early").

I have extra FRS radio's so we can stay in contact on the road, if anyone wants.

I have extra FRS radio's so we can stay in contact on the road, if anyone wants.

You are right, for me early is 5ish but I know that I get up far earlier then most. Lets do 7 then. I will hopefully remember my FRS.

You are right, for me early is 5ish but I know that I get up far earlier then most. Lets do 7 then. I will hopefully remember my FRS.

I can do 7:00, altho that is early for ME. :( Maybe the PnR off exit 2 on I-405? Or where else, Jester?

And boy, the East Side carpool came to a crashing halt in a hurry, by the folks who suggested it. :( Andrew, can I still ride down with you? If you have to leave, maybe Jester can give me a ride back.

I'll share if you promise to stir up lots of controversy by placing caches in/near these caves. :D

Will a multi with nano waypoints inside each of the lava tubes that lead to an ammo can filled with what's left of my DB Copper's Hijack money? I've been waiting for the heat over that whole jumping out of the plane thing to simmer down, but every time I'm just about ready to start spending the money, some one finds a scap of something somewhere in SW washington claiming it to be part of my gear and up goes the heat again. So I've finally decided I might as well just figure out a way to get rid of all the money and be done with it. :(

Hey DB, I can offer an easier way to get rid of the cash.

Hey DB, I can offer an easier way to get rid of the cash.

Unfortunately, it's using it for fire fodder. The FBI has an active hotlist for the cash.

I'm definitely driving - my van can hold 7 (2 spoken for - driver & wife :) ), we live south end of Renton (above Valley Medical Center). I know Prying Pandora is close by.

I can do 7:00, altho that is early for ME. :) Maybe the PnR off exit 2 on I-405? Or where else, Jester?

And boy, the East Side carpool came to a crashing halt in a hurry, by the folks who suggested it. :) Andrew, can I still ride down with you? If you have to leave, maybe Jester can give me a ride back.

The P&R is pretty busy, it fills up fast - but if we're just meeting and not leaving a vehicle, any place will do. And yes, I can give you a ride back home. And just think, if you're not driving you can nap on the way down... :)

The P&R is pretty busy, it fills up fast - but if we're just meeting and not leaving a vehicle, any place will do. And yes, I can give you a ride back home. And just think, if you're not driving you can nap on the way down... :)

Well, um, we will be leaving a car - mine - if I get a ride with someone. Unless Andrew is willing to pick me up at home, and someone gets me back there.

So...we need to leave at least one car - where to meet? How about the parking lot at the Lowe's off exit 5 (Sunset)? That's big and doesn't get full. Or the even bigger Fry's lot next to it.

Edited by hydnsek

Well, um, we will be leaving a car - mine - if I get a ride with someone. Unless Andrew is willing to pick me up at home, and someone gets me back there.

So...we need to leave at least one car - where to meet? How about the parking lot at the Lowe's off exit 5 (Sunset)? That's big and doesn't get full. Or the even bigger Fry's lot next to it.

H

Why don't you just leave it at the PnR at exit 9? I can just swing off the freeway and pick you up.

The P&R is pretty busy, it fills up fast - but if we're just meeting and not leaving a vehicle, any place will do. And yes, I can give you a ride back home. And just think, if you're not driving you can nap on the way down... :(

Sorry, I thought you were coming with AndrewRJ (and maybe you will from his post).

The lot by the East Valley 13 movie theater is more on route, and never fills. Exit off Hwy 167 at the first exit (41st/180th) and turn right, then enter parking lot on left. Then we can jump back on Hwy 167 and bypass downtown Tacoma.

Is everyone still ready for this? Only a couple of more days - I hope the rain lets up by then...

I went through the cave yesterday it was 80+ degrees above ground and somewhere in the 40's underground. It felt really good to get out of the heat. Don't forget leather gloves, some type of head protection and knee pads if you have them, I had the first two but not the knee pads, which were only needed in a couple of places where you had to get down on all fours to get through through the passage.

Is everyone still ready for this? Only a couple of more days - I hope the rain lets up by then...

I went through the cave yesterday it was 80+ degrees above ground and somewhere in the 40's underground. It felt really good to get out of the heat. Don't forget leather gloves, some type of head protection and knee pads if you have them, I had the first two but not the knee pads, which were only needed in a couple of places where you had to get down on all fours to get through through the passage.

Yeah, the caves stay a nice even 42 degrees - fairly cool. And the roof will probably be very drippy, with all this rain it'll be coming thru the cracks. Dress accordingly.

As he said, gloves, knee pads (I have an extra pair) and helmets (I have extra of these too) are needed. Three sources of light that are independant (not needing the same set of batteries) is standard - headlamps are handy, but give you 'flat' light (no shadows to show the texture of the floor), handhelds are great in the crawls (you don't get a stiff neck trying to point the light where you need it), but use up a hand. A mix is good. Extra bulbs and batteries, of course.

I am good to go and will be picking up Hydnsek and PP on the way by.

Actually, I'm going to have to beg out of this trip. Dangit! Due to some unexpected detours, I won't be home from my road trip until Monday night or Tuesday, and after 10 days on the road, I'm ready to be at home. :) Besides, I don't look so purdy - some nasty bacterial infection is eating my cheek. :) Thank goodness for the Colville ER. The doc said the antibiotics should help minimize the scarring. (Scarring?!)

I am good to go and will be picking up Hydnsek and PP on the way by.

Actually, I'm going to have to beg out of this trip. Dangit! Due to some unexpected detours, I won't be home from my road trip until Monday night or Tuesday, and after 10 days on the road, I'm ready to be at home. B) Besides, I don't look so purdy - some nasty bacterial infection is eating my cheek. B) Thank goodness for the Colville ER. The doc said the antibiotics should help minimize the scarring. (Scarring?!)

Bummer! Rest well. I hope you recover well.

As he said, gloves, knee pads (I have an extra pair) and helmets (I have extra of these too) are needed. Three sources of light that are independent (not needing the same set of batteries) is standard - headlamps are handy, but give you 'flat' light (no shadows to show the texture of the floor), handhelds are great in the crawls (you don't get a stiff neck trying to point the light where you need it), but use up a hand. A mix is good. Extra bulbs and batteries, of course.

I'm pretty sure I can come up with the gloves and light sources, but don't have a helmet or knee pads.

As he said, gloves, knee pads (I have an extra pair) and helmets (I have extra of these too) are needed. Three sources of light that are independent (not needing the same set of batteries) is standard - headlamps are handy, but give you 'flat' light (no shadows to show the texture of the floor), handhelds are great in the crawls (you don't get a stiff neck trying to point the light where you need it), but use up a hand. A mix is good. Extra bulbs and batteries, of course.

I'm pretty sure I can come up with the gloves and light sources, but don't have a helmet or knee pads.

Knee pads can be purchased for around $10 at your local Home Depot store.

Helmet: Which do you want? Plain white, orange with peace sign sticker, or purple bike helmet?

Knee pads: I think my wife wants the extra (heavy) ones I have - her gardening ones probably won't hold up. Sorry.

I've got a couple of bump caps, lightweight hard hats, you can use if you want to swing by and grab them.

OK, it looks like there are four of us (Me, Blooming Idiot, Prying Pandora, AndrewRJ). Shall we say 7am at the East Valley Theater parking lot (approx. 47 26.650 122 13.150). I'm bringing three caches and caving gear (an extra helmet for PP included).

Jester

I was going to pick up PP at the PnR a little further down the road at 7AM. If it is ok with you can we meet there.

The PnR is where this cache used to be

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...78-bb647fbc3c52

AJ

OK, it looks like there are four of us (Me, Blooming Idiot, Prying Pandora, AndrewRJ). Shall we say 7am at the East Valley Theater parking lot (approx. 47 26.650 122 13.150). I'm bringing three caches and caving gear (an extra helmet for PP included).

Jester

I was going to pick up PP at the PnR a little further down the road at 7AM. If it is ok with you can we meet there.

The PnR is where this cache used to be

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...78-bb647fbc3c52

AJ

Sounds good to me. See you there at 7.

Thanks Jester! I picked up a pair of knee pads at Home Depot after work today, so I'm all set. :unsure: See you at the PnR.

Mission accomplished! I'd never been caving before so it was an exciting and fascinating experience. No risk of new caches causing trouble - the cache listings were merely disabled, so continued to block any new caches from being placed within .10 mile. You can read more in our logs on the cache pages:

A Jester Unemployed...

...Is Nobody's Fool

Edited by Prying Pandora

Yep, a good trip. (Sorry to be late in posting to the thread, we just got back from a week-long trip to Reno.) The caches are back in place (well, almost ... new spots nearby). It was a lot of fun taking Prying Pandora on her first trip underground. You see things differently when you have someone along to whom everything is new. We also found a feature I'd heard about but never seen - George Washington's Face. It's a profile in rock (think US Quarter).

I also replaced Burst Bubble - but it looks like it's gone again... :D