Has The Cost Of Fuel Affected Your Caching?

I was just curious to find out whether fellow cachers have cut back on their hobby due to the madness in the cost of fuel these days.

We certainly have. However, this is partly due to having completed the majority of nearby caches. We now restrict our caching to fit in around the other reason why we are in the area.

Your comments / thoughts please.

I've just changed my car because of it. It still costs me about £90 to fill the car :) but now i get 525 miles out of it not 225. I can't say I've done that just because of geoxcaching, but next weekend I'm caching in France and I wouldn't have been doing that in the previous vehicle!

Has The Cost Of Fuel Affected Your Caching?, Has your find rate declined?

No, and no :).

The rate that caches are placed around here we've been able to travel fewer miles (around 2/3 of last year so far) whilst finding more caches (about 1/3 more than the equivalent period last year) :anicute::anicute:.

I've just changed my car because of it. It still costs me about £90 to fill the car :anicute: but now i get 525 miles out of it not 225. I can't say I've done that just because of geoxcaching, but next weekend I'm caching in France and I wouldn't have been doing that in the previous vehicle!

525miles for £90, yikes :) I've just changed my car and getting 400miles for £33 even before the engine has been broken in

525miles for £90, yikes :D I've just changed my car and getting 400miles for £33 even before the engine has been broken in

It would be useful to know what car it is, please. It's not possible for us to work out exactly what that means in terms of mpg because we don't know what rate you're paying, but it sounds pretty spectacular. I have a friend with a Renault Clio 1.5 diesel who gets just over 60mpg, and I thought that was fantastic, but yours might be even better.

I think it is worthwhile to share this sort of info - the published figures are better than nothing, but what people get in practice is much more useful.

Rgds, Andy

I'm riding my bicycle & caching now. Best of both worlds!

Me too :anicute::D:anicute:

It's win win situation caching by bike as you save money, help the environment and get fitter in the process.

I take my bike on the train too which gets me further afield as my local area was devoid of unfound caches until this morning when thanks to the "Severnsiders" I can now cycle from home to three new lovely placements next Saturday :anicute:

I have a friend with a Renault Clio 1.5 diesel who gets just over 60mpg

Rgds, Andy

Well my Clio diesel does about 650 miles to a tank full of fuel which costs about £60-00 at moment. At least it did the last time I filled up :anicute::D

ayepee

525miles for £90, yikes :D I've just changed my car and getting 400miles for £33 even before the engine has been broken in

It would be useful to know what car it is, please. It's not possible for us to work out exactly what that means in terms of mpg because we don't know what rate you're paying, but it sounds pretty spectacular. I have a friend with a Renault Clio 1.5 diesel who gets just over 60mpg, and I thought that was fantastic, but yours might be even better.

I think it is worthwhile to share this sort of info - the published figures are better than nothing, but what people get in practice is much more useful.

Rgds, Andy

Toyota Aygo (Petrol)

Fuel consumption mpg

Urban - 51.4

Extra-urban - 68.9

Combined - 61.4

I've just changed my car because of it. It still costs me about £90 to fill the car :anicute: but now i get 525 miles out of it not 225. I can't say I've done that just because of geoxcaching, but next weekend I'm caching in France and I wouldn't have been doing that in the previous vehicle!

Wow :D , and I thought that my Forester was bad at £60 for 300 miles.

I have a Corsa 1.2 petrol that fills up on about £45 now (18 months ago was about £33) and I'll do about 350 miles on that.

I've cut back on caching, but only because I've done everything on the penninsula and to cache means careful planning and a day out, rather than nipping off for one or two.

To be honest, I've really only been caching at events recently, but that's fine, It means I've had time at home to do other stuff, and not feel that urge to cache!

Edited by HazelS

I drive a Ford Focus estate so I guess middle ground on the fuel ecconomy stakes, I have swept most of the caches close to home since moving here (Ipswich area)a year ago and now only cache once per month rather than weekly to save fuel. The biggest change is the type of cache I go for I now look for 1 or 2 decent ones and then aim to sweep the area of all other caches whilst I am there, this leads me more down the numbers game route rather than only going for quality caches and only sweeping areas of easy caches whern I am short of time.