UK MEGA EVENT - YOU TUBE MOVIE COMPETITION

We are today launching a competition for those budding cachers who are attending the Mega Cache Event

The competition is the best video of the day about the Mega event, any of the other Mega Related cache events around Harrogate or just simply a video of caches you did around Harrogate.

The video must be uploaded to You Tube after the event in line with competition rules.

The competition will be judged in various age related categories

To enter you will need a simple digital camera that takes movies

For full instructions on how to create a movie, upload to You Tube and an entry form can either be obtained on the day at the event, or for pre-entries send an email with your name, age (under 18 only or specify adult) and email address and we shall send you the competition entry form and instructions.

For those never uploaded anything to You Tube its easy... my daughter (not yet a teenager) took a video on her phone and uploaded on for a recent flash mob caching event... if she can do it so can you !

All the videos and the results will be linked from the event cache or our web site after the event for all to see !

Good luck, happy videoing and dont worry if you are not producing a professional cut and edited video.... there are prizes for a number of categories...

Enjoy and start to experiment with your video camera / mobile phone !

Robin

Harrogate Hunters

Mega Event Committee

Think this is now bordering on pure tat..

This whole event has gone from sublime to ridiculous

Who decides who wins whatever prize????

Too many things happening.. pre events! Pre pre event!

Then the Hog roast. You can’t book on the day.. so you have 20 people on the day who have booked.. what happens to the other 480 who might think.. hey that looks good! But cant!! I think you may end up with pork lunch for a few months!!

But will admit it was the Utube stunt that takes the biscuit.

Sorry.. but what happen to.. let’s have an even.. try for 500.. if they turn up.. claim a mega.. if they don’t.. welllllllllll we had a bash.. better luck next time

Not decrying the effort the guys/gals have put in but to date there are only 429 will attend logs.

Be pleased if it comes off but too much going on, to many variables.

and as I said.. UTUBE.. pure tat.

This is my opinion.. and sorry if this the wrong thread but there are too many mega event threads to pick from!!

Moss T

Some one had to say it :)

Edited by Moss Trooper

667 registered attendees so far.

We can't afford a professional cameraman to document the event.

I would say its a step too far, people are going to be doing it anyway making it into a competition is just tacky

I would also your excluding people who don't have the resources to do it

whats next are you publishing an agenda and turning it into a conference?

Edited by Munkeh

C'mon Moss T, you're starting to sound like Victor Meldrew!

This is the first time anything on this scale has been attempted in this country. The committee have one chance to make it an enjoyable day out for as many people as possible - if something doesn't work then it won't be repeated at a future event. And what appeals to one age group doesn't necessarily appeal to another. But I sincerely hope that the event is a success.

Personally I'm going along just to see what's there, probably spending too much on nice, shiny coins in the process, and that's about it. However, I do live fairly local!

667 attendees? I hope there are multiple signing in points - if it takes 30 seconds to 'process' an attendee then a single queue will take over five hours to admit...

Bah Humbug to Moss T. The committee are trying very hard to make it an enjoyable time. Give them a break, if you don't like the idea of something, then simply avoid it. Something for everyone is good and shouldn't be knocked down.

I don't like the menu arranged in the hotel, but hey they can't please everyone, so I haven't complained and will eat elsewhere.

As for the pre pre event, that was in fact the GeoX forum members that wanted that, the committee have been good enough to assist us with the arrangements. Something they didn't have to do as they have their hands full already.

COME ON THE COMMITTEE!!!! :anicute::D:anicute::anicute::anicute:

As with many aspects of caching you can pick and choose what you decide to get involved in. Forget all the other stuff thats going on and just go to the main event if thats your bag. I for one like the idea of the YouTube comp. Sounds fun.

go **** on someone else's fire :D

Profanity edited out Deceangi

Edited by Deceangi

I would say its a step too far, people are going to be doing it anyway making it into a competition is just tacky

I suppose a cynic could say that the same could apply for this competition. :D One would hope that the person organising that competition has nothing to do with the company hosting it? :anicute:

a competition usually has a prize and that one doesn't

I dont want to "pee on the parade" but..... :anicute:

I have just had the daft letter from school which I am sure many many other parents on here will have had, the one about your child is going to be in a school production, if yourself and every other childs parent sign this form to say you are OK with your child being....video taped/photographed ect then this will happen but if you disagree then the production cannot be filmed/photographed ect ect

I am sure all you parents out there have had one of these :anicute:

So what happens at the Mega Event what if I make a short film on my mobile phone/camera and then place the film on YouTube, can Fanny Adams of Joe Bloggs come up to me and say you have 2 seconds of my little "angel" on that film you made and I did not give you permission to photograph/film him/her and now you have placed him/her on YouTube for the whole world to see, now I am going to sue the a*se off you? :D

I am sorry but we are beconing America, and if folks can get a few quid they will

Could this happen? :anicute:

As far as the events go we will be in Harrogate for 6 days and during that time there are things we will take part in and things we wont, I am sure this will be the same for everyone, do what you want to do and ignore the things you dont want to do. :anicute:

Mandy :anicute:

I have just had the daft letter from school which I am sure many many other parents on here will have had, the one about your child is going to be in a school production, if yourself and every other childs parent sign this form to say you are OK with your child being....video taped/photographed ect then this will happen but if you disagree then the production cannot be filmed/photographed ect ect

Point them here: http://www.lawdit.co.uk/reading_room/room/...lm-children.htm This "idea" by the schools was dreamed up by people taking anti-paedophilia measures to the Nth degree and has no legal basis.

I am sorry but we are beconing America, and if folks can get a few quid they will

I'm not aware of any such case in the US. They have this little thing called the First Amendment. I know that if you look enough at certain UK media you'd wonder how Americans find time to fly to the moon, build the Internet or GPS, or invent cool location-based games, in between pouring hot coffee on themselves and suing doctors for keeping them alive, but it turns out that the average American is less worried about frivolous lawsuits than the average Brit.

One country I can think of where you might have a problem is France. Here, everyone has an assumed right to their own image. However, if you were to announce at the start of an event that you intend to film, and everyone can reasonably have been assumed to be informed, then you're OK. For example, it's in the small print when you enter a football stadium that you may be filmed in the crowd.

Point them here: http://www.lawdit.co.uk/reading_room/room/...lm-children.htm This "idea" by the schools was dreamed up by people taking anti-paedophilia measures to the Nth degree and has no legal basis.

Very interesting :anicute: Thanks for that

But that does not cover the Mega Event, the films people will be making will not be for "private use" the films will be going onto the World Wide Web, for millions to see. :anicute:

Which still makes me think it I film Joe Bloggs little "angel" for 2 seconds and put it up on YouTube for the world to see without his permission .......... will he sue me?

I know this is ridiculous, but it's the world we live in :anicute: and I for one would rather be safe than sorry :D

Mandy :anicute:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Which still makes me think it I film Joe Bloggs little "angel" for 2 seconds and put it up on YouTube for the world to see without his permission .......... will he sue me?

The other day I saw a TV documentary where they showed people walking down a High Street, which illustrated some random point or other. There must have been a hundred or more faces, men, women and children, clearly identifiable. I don't think the BBC had researchers ten yards away getting everyone's name and number.

Since everyone has the right to look at footage which might be of themselves (or not) on four million CCTV cameras, I think any right to not be filmed would probably have been established by now.

Now I'll wait for a lawyer to give the proper version. ;)

Very interesting ;) Thanks for that

But that does not cover the Mega Event, the films people will be making will not be for "private use" the films will be going onto the World Wide Web, for millions to see. B)

I know this is ridiculous, but it's the world we live in B) and I for one would rather be safe than sorry :D

Mandy :D

I'm not sure what the basis for suing would be as the kids have suffered no loss and the video would not be for personal gain. If this were a real problem YouTube would have come a cropper itself before now.

Just some fun. Upload video and pictures taken at the event.

The more taken by the younger generation the better (they are probably better at it than us anyway)

Then everybody can have a laugh..

You know there was talk of a big bowl of ice cold water full of sponges.. some stocks a "mod" and a couple of his "ex" mod buddies.. Some cachers would pay good wonga for that footage ;)

You know there was talk of a big bowl of ice cold water full of sponges.. some stocks a "mod" and a couple of his "ex" mod buddies.. Some cachers would pay good wonga for that footage ;)

At GeoWoodstock 2008 there was to have been a "dunk the reviewers" stand, but it was abandoned because it was raining so hard anyway...

Im no lawyer, but i do know that permission will not be required for the mega event. The law says you have to get permission to video someone in private for example schools, where obviously only a select number of people are supposed to be. However in public, where anyone is allowed, such as the mega event, there's no law saying you have to get their permission.

Edited by Lotho

Think this is now bordering on pure tat..

This whole event has gone from sublime to ridiculous

Who decides who wins whatever prize????

We appologise if we have offended anyone... please bear in mind that the committee are only volunteers and that we are trying to provide a wide a choice of things to do as possible... Some things that I have organised I will not be attending myself, but I know we have been asked for them.

We assumed that some of the children would have fun (i) on the day (ii) in the week afterwards joining in on this part of the event, and probably learning some technical skills in the meantime...

I can remember when my daughter published a very ad-hoc movie for the recent flash mob event, the response from cachers afterwards as fantastic and I got so many emails regarding this.

The whole decision to make it open to cachers was in our opinion we were sure people were going to do it anyway and frankly I think the committee have enough to do on the day anyway then wander around with a camera.

We could have organised a 2 hour pub meet... so easy.. so boring !

Too many things happening.. pre events! Pre pre event!

Judging on the response cachers seem to be wanting them... after all we are giving the option. You can just turn up (or not) on the day if you so wish.... There is no obligation to anyone coming to Harrogate...

May I also please point out that it was other cachers not the committee that asked for the Friday night pub event, the camping event etc. In fact they have been organised by other cachers not the committee (Thanks Haggis Hunter etc etc).

Then the Hog roast. You can’t book on the day.. so you have 20 people on the day who have booked.. what happens to the other 480 who might think.. hey that looks good! But cant!! I think you may end up with pork lunch for a few months!!

The problem with the hog roast is that if we left it to the day, we could have received 10 people or 200 people, so if we had ordered a "small" pig to cater with 50 people we would have been left with the rest... yes eating pork for the rest of the week and who would pay for that... "sorry chaps" those 10 who ate can we have some more dosh please !"

Yes you will be able to turn up on the day... we will be able to cope with that, but at least with pre-booking we know 90% of the numbers required

May I also say that we have in exess of 110 people now pre-booked... I would have never guessed that originally !

But will admit it was the Utube stunt that takes the biscuit.

Sorry.. but what happen to.. let’s have an even.. try for 500.. if they turn up.. claim a mega.. if they don’t.. welllllllllll we had a bash.. better luck next time

Not decrying the effort the guys/gals have put in but to date there are only 429 will attend logs.

Be pleased if it comes off but too much going on, to many variables.

and as I said.. UTUBE.. pure tat.

This is my opinion.. and sorry if this the wrong thread but there are too many mega event threads to pick from!!

Moss T

Some one had to say it :D

Again I must point out that I personally have spent hours and hours (nearly 3 a day) for the last month on this event, and originally I volunteered knowing I could not even attend.... I have had to cancel a foreign holiday to make this happen !

3 hours probably better spend enjoying caching without being critisized at every turn we try to make.

Please also bear in mind this is a FREE event.... (we are not allowed to charge). We are trying to put on an event with no income with huge amounts of costs !

Personally I have laid out in excess of £400 so far and looking at the present finances I am doubtful if I will get it back !

Yes the coin sales are there to raise funds but I can say (and I am sure the committee will not mind me saying this) at this point in time we have not sold enough even to cover the costs of producing the coins, never mind re-imburse other associated event costs !

Please remember we are only cachers like you... we are learning fast... this has never happened before... we have asked for help and suggestions but little has been forthcoming from any cacher. We can only try things out... if we get them wrong, we have now learnt.

We are only trying our best and If at the end of the day people come away saying... "well it was alright - nothing special " we can only say "we did our best"

This reply has been made entirely by myself Robin (Harrogate Hunters) and not on behalf of the committee as I wanted to just put my reply in.

Remember our slogan "WE NEED YOU !" This event(s) is for you not us... we welcome your feedback and may I personally thank Moss trooper for his feedback - again we have learnt our mistakes.

(This is a true thank for this forum thread and not a snide comment !)

Finally may I take this oportunity to thank every email I have received in support of which I have had plenty over the last couple of months... it is these that have kept me going [B)]

p.s. Thanks G Force for your kind comments in the associated forum thread regarding the Hornblower [;)]

Edited by UK Mega Event Committee

What a miserable bunch of complainers we are all turning into. I would publicly like to thank the organisers for all the time and expense put into creating what will be a unique event in its scope and sheer size. I know I am looking forward to it and wouldn't want to be financing it!

* Nobody is forcing you to camp.

* Nobody is forcing you to eat delicious pig.

* Nobody is forcing you to become a documentary maker.

* Nobody is forcing you to meet the Scots

* Nobody is forcing you to buy stuff.

* Nobody is forcing you to be sociable and enjoy your free time meeting like minded people.

The organisers have gone the extra mile to make your long journey worthwhile. I know I will be doing as much of the above as I can pack in and afford. They could have just hired a field and told you to bring a packed lunch, but who would want to come. Please would all the killjoys think before you post!

Philip

I suppose a cynic could say that the same could apply for this competition. :lol: One would hope that the person organising that competition has nothing to do with the company hosting it? :D

a competition usually has a prize and that one doesn't

I stand corrected. The only winner appears to be Geotees for out of 3 options for entering 2 of them is buy your bug from them! Like I said nothing more than a cynic's point of view, as you are criticising the committees efforts but have organised a Mega Event TB race, that a company that you appear to be involved with, will make some sort of profit from it. Albeit a small profit but profit all the same!

I stand corrected. The only winner appears to be Geotees for out of 3 options for entering 2 of them is buy your bug from them! Like I said nothing more than a cynic's point of view, as you are criticising the committees efforts but have organised a Mega Event TB race, that a company that you appear to be involved with, will make some sort of profit from it. Albeit a small profit but profit all the same!

* Nobody is forcing you to take part.

Just for info, Tony sells TB tags on geotees on my behalf. He does not profit from them.

I have no connection with the Mega Event, or the TB race but I'm hoping to be there and will certainly have a TB in the race.

* Nobody is forcing you to take part.

Just for info, Tony sells TB tags on geotees on my behalf. He does not profit from them.

I have no connection with the Mega Event, or the TB race but I'm hoping to be there and will certainly have a TB in the race.

That is information that I wasn't aware of when making my post.

Perhaps I have gone about the wrong way in making my point. Munkeh has joined in on this thread with slating the committee with their being too much organised. Yet he has already jumped onto the band wagon to run a TB race, which is in fact a brilliant idea, but his comments are hypocritical when he himself has organised an additional activity for the event.

When I made my comments above it strongly appeared as though the TB race was profitable towards himself through Geotees. But I now stand corrected and apologise on that part alone.

That is information that I wasn't aware of when making my post.

Perhaps I have gone about the wrong way in making my point. Munkeh has joined in on this thread with slating the committee with their being too much organised. Yet he has already jumped onto the band wagon to run a TB race, which is in fact a brilliant idea, but his comments are hypocritical when he himself has organised an additional activity for the event.

When I made my comments above it strongly appeared as though the TB race was profitable towards himself through Geotees. But I now stand corrected and apologise on that part alone.

Not a problem. Actually I was even aware who Munkeh was until just now when I emailed Tony to ask him. :D

I do see you point though.

alex

As a newbie to caching i read this competition as such :-

Its a way of looking back at peoples memories/funny moments of the day. Kids (big ones aswell!) will love the idea of uploading to Youtube. Kinda like todays version of Jeremy Beadle, a bit of fun.

Now why on earth its sparked the debate as such on here, im staggered. But hey ho, each to their own, its obviously pressed the wrong buttons with a few people.

Personally i think its a wicked idea, its just a case of remembering to have your fingers on the button for when that "moment" might happen!!! :)

my only gripe with this was the need for a prize, people are going to do it anyway, I wasn't the only one saying this I was just the one who voiced it

as for the last two posts by moss I don't see how either are applicable to this

You know there was talk of a big bowl of ice cold water full of sponges.. some stocks a "mod" and a couple of his "ex" mod buddies.. Some cachers would pay good wonga for that footage :)

At GeoWoodstock 2008 there was to have been a "dunk the reviewers" stand, but it was abandoned because it was raining so hard anyway...

Table for 1 then! :)

Sorry folks I've got to close this topic. I've contacted the Mega Committee with a explanation why, and offered a possible resolution to getting this back up and running.

Deceangi Volunteer UK Moderator.

As several persons have requested a explanation as to the closure of this topic. Groundspeak do not allow competitions to take place on these forums, without first obtaining permission off them. As this topic is in regards to a competition, and had not received permission from Groundspeak it was closed. The OP was advised to contact Groundspeak for permission, which if granted, would enable this topic to be opened.

Deci

Edited by Deceangi