Maps For GPS

Hi All

Have just upgraded our GPS to a Etrex Vista Hcx. Just wondering what maps would be best to buy to go with this. There seems to be a few from Garmin that are compatible with the Vista. I am thinking that the TOPO maps would be best, but are there any others to consider?

Many thanks

Well i will give you one vote for the TOPO GB map for the garmin........just got my new 60csx and loaded the map......well impressed.

Does the TOPO map cover footpaths / bridleways? Can you see which footpath leads to a cache?

So far ive not found them.....but i could be wrong......like i said ive just uploaded my new map yesterday.

Well i will give you one vote for the TOPO GB map for the garmin........just got my new 60csx and loaded the map......well impressed.

Does the TOPO map cover footpaths / bridleways? Can you see which footpath leads to a cache?

It covers a lot of footpaths but not all. Also remember that not all caches are on footpaths :) I know I've said it before and I know there will be groans, but you should have proper OS maps. Whether you do the OS maps on memory map on a PDA or like I do, good old fashioned paper, is up to you. But the Garmin Topo maps I do not think offer the level of detail required.

However, I still think they're worth the money because the road turning, point of interests are much more in depth compared to the other less specific routing maps for the UK.

IMHO.

Go here on Garmin's website to view the UK Topo map. Find your location and look at the detail shown. I've not been that impressed with the Topo maps as they don't have anywhere near the cover of OS maps. But they are useful as they are the only ones (with other versions from Garmin) that run on their GPS's.

Chris

Edited by The Blorenges

Hi All

Have just upgraded our GPS to a Etrex Vista Hcx. Just wondering what maps would be best to buy to go with this. There seems to be a few from Garmin that are compatible with the Vista. I am thinking that the TOPO maps would be best, but are there any others to consider?

Many thanks

The Topo ones are by far the best that Garmin supply, though they are nothing like as good as OS maps. What they show is somewhat variable. They do have paths, but not all, and it's almost impossible to predict what they will and won't show. Combined with a low resolution screen it does rather reduce their usefulness, but I still find it quite a bit better than no maps at all.

Someone on another thread has suggested some free contour maps, but it isn't yet clear to me what they offer.

Rgds, Andy

There are several posts on these forums about scanning your own maps to use with Garmin GPS's and Memory Map.... It isn't that straightforward and they have to be calibrated but it is quite possible to do. Of course you need paper maps to scan that have no copyright issues. I've found this website which has a large map collection of scanned images of unusual places - for example street maps of Beijing and detailed maps of Iran! The copyright statement on the website (Uni of Texas) says most of the maps are from the public domain and copyright free! So if you are going to the Olympics and want a digital map of Beijing on your GPS get cracking!

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/

Chris