Inside job

I have recently had atleast 2 instances of what I can only imagine being 'Inside trash jobs' on my caches. Today a cache of mine was reported as waterlogged although it's snugly inside a building, another part of a multi has had the box removed from a place that no one would stumble over it in a million years and previously i've had reports of other things too which i'm not going to go into on here.

After the recent thread about ammo cans being swapped for plastic boxes and bags in some cases it seems like there are quite a few cases of people who play the game, messing with their fellow cachers hides.

I recently started caching again a bit more regularly now that my job allows a BIT more freedom with time, but maintainance trips take time and cost money (Petrol, Containers, Log Books) which I have little of either. I'm seriously considering pulling my caches as to be honest whats the point in constantly replacing caches which are trashed time and time again just to give a new oppertunity for someone to have a laugh behind my back. My favourite part of the whole caching experience is reading logs from 'satisfied customers' who enjoyed their trip and the challenge, and my least favourite, reading reports of clues scattered over the floor creating mess. Add on the fact that 50% of logs probably consist of 2 words and 'TFTC' the hiding side is getting mighty tedious, god I miss the old days of this hobby!!!

Rant over, smile placed back on face if slightly crookedly. :)

Has anyone else faced similar problems?

Edited by Rocky Balboa

Rocky,

Why the fuss? After all, it is only a hunt for a lunchbox n'est pas?

LiS

True true, just slightly annoying when you put effort into something for other peoples pleasure and that happens time and time again, when I started caching it was just a big fun filled hunt for a lunchbox :) a lot has changed in the last few years :anicute:

1.Finding caches. :anicute:

2.Hiding caches. :anicute:

I can live without hiding,but cannot live without finding. :)

If hiding becomes too unbearable for WHATEVER reason,then just don't do it.

Enjoy the sport,and if that means archiving now an again,then so be it.

HAPPY CACHING!

I've archived two of my caches in the last few days. Both had been 'interfered' with but neither had been physically removed. In one instance the fully labelled 'Hornet' size ammo can had been stolen and replaced with a fully labelled lid-less plastic tub that was two small to hold all the contents. The geocoin it contained had also gone. In the other, another large ammo can, the combination lock which forms an integral part of the cache had been stolen and the ammo can left open.

It's unlikely that I'll be placing any more caches. When those of mine that are still active reach the end of their time, that will be it as far as I'm concerned. I've just spent the last two days hunting trig points in East Anglia..... That was a lot more rewarding than finding a lot of the old tat that seems to be acceptable as a geocache these days.

Sorry to hear you've had problems Dan. I was aware of John's Ammo can troubles...

You don't get these issues with micros :):anicute:

Seriously, if it seems a cache has been messed with, it might not be cachers- things do get found, even when in they're in what you'd think were 100% muggle-free places. That's not to say you need to keep replacing caches that develop a problem. Relocate or archive- You can't keep throwing good money after bad. :anicute:

Today a cache of mine was reported as waterlogged although it's snugly inside a building,

Could be one of those Cachers who can't tell their Behind from their Elbow.

One of my coins went missing from a cache and a few weeks later was found in a nearby cache. Thing was the person who placed my coin had logged a DNF on the one it was found in, so clearly got that days caching mixed up. Perhaps your 'waterlogger' did the same thing...? :)

I've archived two of my caches in the last few days. Both had been 'interfered' with but neither had been physically removed. In one instance the fully labelled 'Hornet' size ammo can had been stolen and replaced with a fully labelled lid-less plastic tub that was two small to hold all the contents. The geocoin it contained had also gone. In the other, another large ammo can, the combination lock which forms an integral part of the cache had been stolen and the ammo can left open.

It's unlikely that I'll be placing any more caches. When those of mine that are still active reach the end of their time, that will be it as far as I'm concerned. I've just spent the last two days hunting trig points in East Anglia..... That was a lot more rewarding than finding a lot of the old tat that seems to be acceptable as a geocache these days.

Know the feeling marra.. All my fault yer know.. Interviews with computer active.. TV progs.. LOL but I do understand.. I'm archiving more than I am setting.. but will admit that there aint as many folks having a try and getting board.. or using ammo boxes.. being honest.. think they best left to the military lol

We were in, in the early days when it was fun.. and no one interfered with you cache.. manly as ther wernt that many around.

I still have a few to go before I burn out LOL LOL

But these days.. Think I'll get back to my walking and just taking in the views.. cheaper too lol lol

Moss T

god I miss the old days of this hobby!!!

When I were a lad ......................!! :D I reckon you're turning into a G.O.G. and that's my territory you young whippersnapper. :anicute::anicute::anicute::anicute:

But I empathise with you as well. I know just what you are saying but I guess it's a consequence of the hobby "maturing" and almost going mainstream. Things have undoubtedly changed over the past 7 years since I started. Some changes are undoubtedly for the better, but also some to what I consider the detriment of the game.

But that's life.

Had a 'handmade' cache container go missing at our 'Motorway Mayhem' cache recently, which I will have to replace/ make soon. As for ammo boxes and padlocks being taken, I'm stunned as this is quite outrageous and I know that this would never have occurred years ago. I can understand the sentiment of the quote 'Things ain't what they used to be' as these days, I rarely look any deeper into a cache further than the log book due to the lack of effort of swaps inside, even at the expense of leaving TB's and geocoins. It seems as the hobby gets bigger, laziness is creeping in and more is being taken and less effort is put back in. :anicute:

I'll put on a tin hat now and wait for the incoming flack! :anicute:

P.s Nice to see some 'Old Timers' back on the forums :anicute::D

There's a long history of these type of incidents. A few years ago I had an ammo box pinched the first day after the cache was published, and it was hidden on a high hillside, definitely in "a place that no one would stumble over it in a million years"! There always seems to be a new story of a box being taken and replaced by a plastic bag. I think that in most cases it's a muggle who's interested in the container rather than the contents.

It is a shame when the actions of these few people starting spoiling it for others. I remember some incidents a few years back of people nicking all the contents of caches and leaving a calling card boasting about what they had done.

There is an area not far from me where cachers don't dare leave geocoinds any more as they tend to vanish. :D

Lisa

There is an area not far from me where cachers don't dare leave geocoinds any more as they tend to vanish. :D

That's a real shame.

Is there any way to notify cachers that a cache/area is at risk before they drop someone else's geocoin in the cache? It's bad enough being the last person to handle a TB/Geocoin before it goes missing, without then finding out the area/cache is well known for having TB's go wandering. Obviously I can appreciate that no cache is completely safe and the loss of items is all part of the risk all items take.

Jon

That's a real shame.

Is there any way to notify cachers that a cache/area is at risk before they drop someone else's geocoin in the cache? It's bad enough being the last person to handle a TB/Geocoin before it goes missing, without then finding out the area/cache is well known for having TB's go wandering. Obviously I can appreciate that no cache is completely safe and the loss of items is all part of the risk all items take.

Jon

I have seen cache listings saying things like "please do not place TBs/geocoins in this cache as it has gone missing in the past"

I have one that I adopted in a great position but it kept getting damaged so after 2 or 3 visits i moved it slightly to see what would happen and I guess that someone goes past this spot more often than I thought and hunted it out (even though I hadn't activated it), left a note next time asking them not to do it and moved it again guess what...damaged again.

So I reckon its either a cacher who is disgruntled for some reason or someone just pratting around. They must be having fun though as on the third occasion I moved it, I moved it a distance and hid it well, without the co-ordinates it would have been a challenge to find it, but they did.

So I am now faced with archiving it as I am getting sick off going up there.

I have one that I adopted in a great position but it kept getting damaged so after 2 or 3 visits i moved it slightly to see what would happen and I guess that someone goes past this spot more often than I thought and hunted it out (even though I hadn't activated it), left a note next time asking them not to do it and moved it again guess what...damaged again.

So I reckon its either a cacher who is disgruntled for some reason or someone just pratting around. They must be having fun though as on the third occasion I moved it, I moved it a distance and hid it well, without the co-ordinates it would have been a challenge to find it, but they did.

So I am now faced with archiving it as I am getting sick off going up there.

I'm seriously considering pulling my caches as to be honest whats the point in constantly replacing caches which are trashed time and time again just to give a new oppertunity for someone to have a laugh behind my back.

If you archive The Ring, can I have my ammo can back? ;)

Okay, the serious points I am trying to make are there are more good uns than bad guys out there and don't be paranoid, you may think no muggle could ever find your cache and trash it, whereas I think if you can get there, a muggle could. Just wait until the long summer holidays when the kids get into everything. Something we have to live with, I am afraid.

If you archive The Ring, can I have my ammo can back? :)

Okay, the serious points I am trying to make are there are more good uns than bad guys out there and don't be paranoid, you may think no muggle could ever find your cache and trash it, whereas I think if you can get there, a muggle could. Just wait until the long summer holidays when the kids get into everything. Something we have to live with, I am afraid.

I agree with that but its an odd muggle that drops to his or her knees on a disused railway and pushes away a thick covering of rocks between old rusty rails for the fun of it. And like i said at the top there have been other circumstances which i dont want to discuss here where someone made a school boy error and gave themselves away! What a muppet! And yes you can have your can back if it gets archived although to be honest i havnt checked it in a while and its probably an Aldi bag now! ;) i thought that was a gift from Pharisee?!? Maybe that was interception it was a long time ago!!

Edited by Rocky Balboa

I’m really new to this activity and very sorry to hear of RB’s problems. It’s raised a few concerns in my mind.

I must admit having only 6 caches under my belt I am somewhat surprised at the tokens left by some people. I’m fortunate that in my work I have suitable and very attractive tokens to leave behind. OK I’ve only done six caches but is it really acceptable to leave hand wipes, Burger King tomatoe sauce sachets, rubber gloves as a token? Ok I’m not expecting to find the Elgin Marbles in a cache and the tokens are not the reason why I started this activity but at least cacher’s could make a bit of an effort. If only for the children that take part.

Likewise writing a log. A few words describing the hunt would be appreciated by the owner of the cache I’m sure. A downloaded photo maybe?

I’m think of placing my own caches in the near future. I’m currently locating suitable spots and sourcing materials. But if this is what happens maybe I’ll not bother. I’ll certainly wait until summer is over and the school holidays gone.

I really do hope it’s not an insider doing this. That would be very sad indeed.

After the recent thread about ammo cans being swapped for plastic boxes and bags in some cases it seems like there are quite a few cases of people who play the game, messing with their fellow cachers hides.

I know a cacher in Wiltshire (who doesn't visit the forums) who has recently had two ammo boxes disappear. Almost certainly an inside job apparently. I know he's understandably not going to use them any more. :D

... OK I’ve only done six caches but is it really acceptable to leave hand wipes, Burger King tomatoe sauce sachets, rubber gloves as a token?...

I guarantee that at some point, before you get to 100 Finds, you'll be at a cache site and you'll think to yourself, "I could really do with some rubber gloves/Wet Wipes right now..." :lol:

As for writing logs: Some cachers will only write very few words in the actually log book, but will write a more detailed log on-line. There again, some cachers will only write very few words...

Personally, I like to try and write and interesting log because I see it as the "payback" for the cacher setter taking the time and effort to place the cache (assuming I feel that they have taken time and effort :D ) but not everyone sees it that way.

MrsB :D

I still think that if you believe that cache muggling is due to other cachers rather than muggles then you will just end up unhappy. Unless I see positive evidence for it, I will just put it down to muggles. When I was a kid I was into everything, I would certainly have nicked an ammo can if I had found one lying around! Oh, and please don't archive the Ring Dan, it's well worth keeping (I gave the ammo can to the JGGs when they had charge of it for a while!).

I still think that if you believe that cache muggling is due to other cachers rather than muggles then you will just end up unhappy. Unless I see positive evidence for it, I will just put it down to muggles. When I was a kid I was into everything, I would certainly have nicked an ammo can if I had found one lying around! Oh, and please don't archive the Ring Dan, it's well worth keeping (I gave the ammo can to the JGGs when they had charge of it for a while!).

I agree Ali, kids get everywhere. I spend ages trying to find a good spot that is in a nice area and not obvious to muggles. Unfortunately most of the places I can get to with my limited transport (pushbike and Shanks's pony!) are easy access to kids and walkers also. I do the best with the available space to give someone else entertainment. Sometimes the logs are very critical of my choice of hide. If all they want to do is criticise I may as well archive the lot.

I spend ages getting the swaps right and placing the caches etc., not for my benefit, I can't even log them!! ;)

I recently had to replace a small lock n lock box because a cacher had reported that the lid was smashed.

After visiting the cache site it became clear what had happenend to the cache. The compression mark under the cache showed that it had been stood on, and the lid had badly cracked. Because of the way in which the cache is hidden, the only way to stand on it, is to be looking for it.

My point is this.

If you stand on a cache by mistake (breaking it), tell the owner, and let he/she get it sorted quickly, before it gets soggy and has all manner of bugs crawling inside it. It's nothing more than bad manners just to leave it and say nothing. B)

On a lighter note.

I carry spare caches with me when I'm caching. I'm sure we've all come across the "under the weather/missing" cache on our travels. Whenever I come across caches like these I always either replace the log, or cache, as I'm sure that most cache owners would welcome this type of help.

A few weeks ago whilst caching in Dunkeld, I replaced a soggy log for a fellow cacher, and only a couple of days ago he replaced an "under the weather" cache of mine (I've noticed he does it to a lot of caches that need attention, and not just mine)...................great result!

The way I see it, the more I help with first aid on caches, the more it will encourage others to do the same. ;)

Edited by Jacobite