Issues, vents and Questions about Ebay

RedShoesGirl

i have been holding this in for a while and trying not be subjective or accusatory, BUT when i an e-bay seller splits up the recent viking heritage set and has the ax for sale by itself and doesn't mention it on his auction, that is something that is driving me nerts!

and frankly that seems to be misleading - illegally, to call it the first coin in the viking heritage series. when the set is the important thing. this particular seller has said some really DUMB bubba-kinda things in the past but i have just laughed it off but this gets my goat.

oh, and how about sellers who say a coin is sold out but it is really still available? that is something they need to check before they put up their auction. i have written a couple of sellers mentioning that a particular coin is still available.

i have to admit, i bought a coin on ebay, paying an inflated price, thinking it was sold out and later found out, with a little research, that i could still buy the coin at the regular price. so now i google to make sure, if i can't find the info here.

buyers beware - do your homework before buying a coin on ebay. most of the sellers are great, many of these from these forums. but there are a couple that are not.

ok, rant off, back to your normal peaceful RSG

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Sounds like two seperate coins then. I am missing what the big deal about them being split is. If they were released to travel, we don't really think they would remain together do we?

we really do think they should remain together if being sold. it is up to the owner if they want to release them individually as travelers.

as a collector, the set is incomplete.

at least the buyer should be advised that the coin is a part of a set and not the first in a series of coins. the auction is deceptive.

but that is just my $2 worth. (inflation)

rsg

I don't think selling a coin that was only bought in a set is being deceptive. It's up to the buyers to educate themselves a little and not place all the blame on the sellers. I don't know who was selling this or anything else, but it wouldn't matter either. As long as the coin was described correctly, then it's legit. Just because some people wish to see these remain in sets, well that's pretty unrealistic.

I have a coin that was only sold in a set. I didn't want the set, but really wanted 1 out of the 3 that were sold, so thats what I bought off eBay. I was thankful for the chance at this coin.

Coins are sold in sets for alot of reasons, and not all are as glamorous as we would like to think. The first being the maker wants to ensure they sell X number of coins of both. They don't stuck with 125 shields if what everyone really wanted was the axes. Just using this coin as the example and not implying that was the reason these were sold as a set.

Yes, I have personally seen one a conundrumcoin marketed as "sold out" when there were over 50 left in stock. I don't know if you were the one who contacted them, or whether they noticed on their own, but they took the auction down. I am hoping other people noticed as nobody had bid on it. However, now that I see only 10 coins left in stock, I am expecting to see it back on ebay quite soon.

If the coins have the same tracking number then I would agree, it would only cause confusion to break up the set (and two people with the same tracking number). But I don't see a problem if the coins have two different tracking numbers. They are two separate coins in my mind... i guess the person is trying to maximize profits.

I don't see the problem if the coins have different tracking numbers. Yes, they were sold in a set, but that doesn't mean the person selling them on ebay has to as well. Some times a person can make more money by separating the set. As for being a misleading auction.. the majority of geocoins listed on ebay are misleading in one way or another. Sellers can be unsure about what metal the coin really is (gold vs. bronze, silver vs. nickel), if the coin is sold out, if it really is HTF, etc.)

I don't think selling a coin that was only bought in a set is being deceptive. It's up to the buyers to educate themselves a little and not place all the blame on the sellers. I don't know who was selling this or anything else, but it wouldn't matter either. As long as the coin was described correctly, then it's legit. Just because some people wish to see these remain in sets, well that's pretty unrealistic.

I have a coin that was only sold in a set. I didn't want the set, but really wanted 1 out of the 3 that were sold, so thats what I bought off eBay. I was thankful for the chance at this coin.

Coins are sold in sets for alot of reasons, and not all are as glamorous as we would like to think. The first being the maker wants to ensure they sell X number of coins of both. They don't stuck with 125 shields if what everyone really wanted was the axes. Just using this coin as the example and not implying that was the reason these were sold as a set.

ok, ok, you guys all make sense. my romantic nature says that these particular coins belong together, but i am willing to see y'all's point of view.

i didn't realize either, until i started studying the lists and googling more, than the piranha coins were all a set a once point. i only like the teal one, so i can see why others might sell off part of the set.

guess i owe the seller an apology. :laughing:

lara

I am currently in the process of breaking up a set to eBay. Maybe some people only want one or the other. They have 2 different tracking numbers and two different icons.

In defense of the sold out notice. Sometimes the coins are sold out but the vendor makes more or a seller decides to make one or two available. Many of us do DO our homework.

As pointed out by one person here the Viking Heritage Axe Geocoins have their own tracking numbers and their own icon as do the Viking Heritage Shield Geocoins. They were sold in sets as also pointed out to keep from having (50) shields left over after the axes were sold out. We ONLY minted this series once and WILL NOT re-mint them. These are the first two of our Heritage Series and we wanted the numbers low to keep the collectible value high.

If purchased for a collection as a set, the shrewd buyer would look for a set being sold together.

then i shall keep my sets together. you guys have set me straight on the whole issue! i bow out gracefully - or not so much since a gazelle i am not. :laughing:

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

The eBay site used to say this at the bottom although i dont see it anymore...

caveat emptor

I used to collect Hot Wheels and once a year they released a set of cars which were highly collectible. I saw an auction which clearly stated that it was for the box only, no hot wheels. It went for $250+. Many times people see what they want and jump in without research.

It seems to me that people that own something can sell it however they like. Then it is up to the buyer to decide if they want it or not. Some people might not like racist items sold on eBay (if they are permitted) but that doesn't make the seller necessarily in the wrong. (Maybe that was a bad analogy-it kind of does, but for a different reason.)

I am currently in the process of breaking up a set to eBay. Maybe some people only want one or the other. They have 2 different tracking numbers and two different icons.

In defense of the sold out notice. Sometimes the coins are sold out but the vendor makes more or a seller decides to make one or two available. Many of us do DO our homework.

Actually, this was the case I had with the nocturnal coins I was selling. When I put them up on ebay there were no more being sold at C&P so I had put sold out on the ebay sales. A few days later they had restocked without my knowing it and RSG you did contact me to let me know and I very much appreciated you doing that and I changed the last sale for a nocturnal coin and took off the Sold Out but unfortunately the two others I had put on previously were about to be sold and had bids and I was unable to change the title on those. I really hate it when a vendor runs out of a stock and does not put on the site that they are going to restock at a later date. That really is misleading too because when we buy extras to sell on ebay, it really helps to put Sold Out to gain a little profit which is the whole reason for selling on there in the first place.

I think the majority of folk listing coins on ebay do so with the best of intent. I have been caught out listing a coin as sold out when in fact during the auction period the vendor has made more of those coins available for sale. Once a bid has been placed it isn't possible to change the title. I did however make a revision to the listing - which appeared at the very bottom of the page. I felt it was the least I could do, but I was uncomfortable about it. I've also listed a coin as Nickel, and did not specify shiny nickel, the buyer was under the impression the coin would be black nickel because the image shows the coin being darker because of the reflection when scanning the coin. The matter was resolved quite amicably, thanks to the buyer, but someone else might have been less accommodating. I have found it to be a learning experience as I go along. I also once sold a coin as unactivated from my collection, and only after mailing out realised that it was a coin I had activated. I was hugely embarrassed and I hope having learnt from that experience NEVER to repeat the mistake, again it was resolved quite amicably but it could have turned out quite differently. I will now only ever list a coin as sold out if it has been stated that it is a limited edition and no remints - but even then there have been instances of vendors who renege on that statement and end up reminting. Ebay is a fickle place, a coin can remain unsold get relisted and sell for $20, go figure. For me that is part of the fun of selling on ebay, like caching you never know what you're going to get until the end! As for splitting sets, if you collect em keep em, you want to sell em sell em, makes no difference to me.

On two occassions I ended auctions when I found out - on my own , not at someone elses instigation - that the coin was not sold out. The ebay thing is just kind of weird - its a great place to find coins you missed and can't find to trade for but sellers, but you feel a bit like a black sheep here in the forums if you sell coins on ebay. I've spent way more buying coins on ebay than i have ever made. and that money just goes into buying more coins...definitely an addiction...

On two occassions I ended auctions when I found out - on my own , not at someone elses instigation - that the coin was not sold out. The ebay thing is just kind of weird - its a great place to find coins you missed and can't find to trade for but sellers, but you feel a bit like a black sheep here in the forums if you sell coins on ebay. I've spent way more buying coins on ebay than i have ever made. and that money just goes into buying more coins...definitely an addiction...

well, you and the rest of the great sellers here are not black sheep - i apologize for my vent!

rsg

Jim and I almost considered attaching the shield and axe together with a small chain, hehehe!

I hate seeing folks making a profit off of the coins that I designed, but there's no a lot I can do about it, and admittedly, it is a bit of a compliment.... I think!

Either that, or they bought it and didn't like it and are trying to offload it, eek!! :anicute: Sure hope that isn't the case!

Naomi :D

black sheep here in the forums if you sell coins on ebay. I've spent way more buying coins on ebay than i have ever made. and that money just goes into buying more coins...definitely an addiction...

Well, come and join the black sheep flock! I sell coins on ebay, generally there are a few guidelines to follow and nobody bothers you. I miss list coins whether I get the metal wrong or the coin was sold out when I listed it (since many vendors now either make more or put their overstock up later.

Here are a couple of pointers since this has become more of an ebay thread.

(1) inquire about personals, if they were sold to the public, then they can be resold

(2) anything commercial (which also includes personals), anything that was originally sold

(3) I don't distinguish between XLE XXLE versions, if someone sells a regular edition and the XLE is trade only, and I get hold of one to sell, well, the coin to me is classed as commercial. Most times I will ask first.

(4) If the coin was traded or gifted to me by the owner with stipulations not to sell it, i won't.

(5) I only ebay mystery or trade only coins with permission

(6) I don't ebay gifts

Lastly, I look to see what other ebay sellers have up. Just throwing a coin up there will usually result in two of the same being auctioned within an hour of each other (not good for sale price).

I hate seeing folks making a profit off of the coins that I designed, but there's no a lot I can do about it, and admittedly, it is a bit of a compliment.... I think!

Why? You made a profit off of them so why can't someone else? They took the risk of buying extras and placing them for sale not knowing if they would make their money back or not. These were commercial coins, not some personal coin that were only available through trades.

Why? You made a profit off of them so why can't someone else? They took the risk of buying extras and placing them for sale not knowing if they would make their money back or not. These were commercial coins, not some personal coin that were only available through trades.

I dunno, I guess I just get jealous that they are getting more than I did for them :anicute:

No biggie, though, like I said, I actually do see it as a compliment, so I'm not complaining!

Sounds like two seperate coins then. I am missing what the big deal about them being split is. If they were released to travel, we don't really think they would remain together do we?

Clarity.

If you buy a Car on eBay you expect it to have a motor because it came with one when new. Coins sold in a set, mentioned as a set, but sold individually should be clearly called out as being only one coin out of a larger set.

I've been looking a laptops on eBay. Every now and then I find motherboards for sale. Nice. But motherboards come with a lot of parts attached. The auctions are normally careful to describe what used to be attached that isn't attached now...but some are not clear at all what's included out of what could have been included.

It gets back to clarity so you know what you are bidding on.

Clarity.

If you buy a Car on eBay you expect it to have a motor because it came with one when new. Coins sold in a set, mentioned as a set, but sold individually should be clearly called out as being only one coin out of a larger set.

I've been looking a laptops on eBay. Every now and then I find motherboards for sale. Nice. But motherboards come with a lot of parts attached. The auctions are normally careful to describe what used to be attached that isn't attached now...but some are not clear at all what's included out of what could have been included.

It gets back to clarity so you know what you are bidding on.

That has got to be the worst analogy I have ever seen. A car expected to come with a motor? But these are 2 seperate coins with seperate tracking numbers! If you want to use the car analogy, it would be buying a car, with a title, and a trailer, with a title. You bought them as a set. Since when would you be required to keep them as both? If you decide to sell one, would you be required to state it in the eBay ad that you bought these in a set and now you are selling them alone? Would the seller to you have the right to complain when you unhooked the car from the trailer causing some time of seperation anxiety? Gimmie a break. These are two coins with seperate numbers to which the person who owns them has the right to do anything they want with them.

Edited by pghlooking

I dunno, I guess I just get jealous that they are getting more than I did for them ;)

No biggie, though, like I said, I actually do see it as a compliment, so I'm not complaining!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the shield and ax were adaptations of something that already existed. In fact they were done from pictures of the actual tools of war. The lighthouses came from published stained glass patterns, IE someone else's art. So if we are worried about people making money from someone else's art and such, wouldn't calling them the Artist Edition be a little bit of a gray area?

I think people get jealous that a coin they produced is getting a lot more money through the secondary market... however, it's the secondary market (either selling or trading for a coin) that fuels the original sale... so if you want to sell a coin a day for 250 days just on ebay, one has every right to do that. But they will get shunned and after about 20 coins the interest on ebay will be zero.

I hate seeing folks making a profit off of the coins that I designed

one way to mitigate this practice would be to produce enough of the coins so that everyone who wanted one could get one (or more) from you

if that were the case, there would be very little point in re-selling them on eBay

another option would be to limit sales to one per customer

with any luck, most would go to collectors who would keep them