Temporary fiberglass pole repair

Does anyone have a trick for temporarily reinforcing a splintery fiberglass tent pole? I know there are repair kits, but I need the tent sooner than I can get one. I'm sure it will hold for the next trip, but I'd like to be sure (just car camping, not back country life-and-limb survival stuff).

Also, I'm having trouble finding a repair kit for the size I need. The diameter seems to be slightly more than 10mm and the length from end to end, including the metal sleeve, is just over 24 inches. I was looking at Campmor, and they have a 9.5mm that is 23.5 inches long, or an 11mm that is over 27 inches. Do I have an oddball size or is the 9.5mm correct? This is a RedHead brand tent from about 10 years ago.

Thanks!

Does anyone have a trick for temporarily reinforcing a splintery fiberglass tent pole? I know there are repair kits, but I need the tent sooner than I can get one. I'm sure it will hold for the next trip, but I'd like to be sure (just car camping, not back country life-and-limb survival stuff).

Also, I'm having trouble finding a repair kit for the size I need. The diameter seems to be slightly more than 10mm and the length from end to end, including the metal sleeve, is just over 24 inches. I was looking at Campmor, and they have a 9.5mm that is 23.5 inches long, or an 11mm that is over 27 inches. Do I have an oddball size or is the 9.5mm correct? This is a RedHead brand tent from about 10 years ago.

Thanks!

Technology changes are your bane. What was common then isn't so much now. I would try a hardware store and put a kit together. A little mesh/rosin kit and a ferrule is all you really need. smear on some rosin, wrap with the fibermesh, and then slide a ferrule over it.

If it has just a couple of splits on the end, I have used super-glue with success (cyanoacrylate.) Clean the pieces first. Glue and hold it together for a minute. You might want to get the thicker, gel type glue.

I have not tried, but will probably work is two part epoxy. Clean, sand area, wind with thread or string and coat with epoxy. First put a wire or nail in the hole so it does not fill up.

I just repaired one today. It split in half from one end about half way up the pole. This was on the end without the metal. I used super glue, making sure that I didn't glue the cord. After a minute or two checking that it was holding I also wrapped it in three places with good old duct tape. We'll find out how it's going to hold up this weekend.

If the problem isn't at the pole end, then

Duct Tape

Like the Force

Has a Light Side and a Dark Side

And Holds the Universe Together

- T of TandS

That's what I ended up doing. Black Color Duck Tape, to be precise. We got washed out of our campground early due to very high winds and rain, but the poles held. We dismantled in the storm, stuffed everything in the car, and reassembled at home to dry -- everything is good!

Everyone seems to carry the wonder fix within their packs and never realize the use. I have even walked over and picked on off the trail and thrown it into my pack as a repair for the metal poles.

A pop can... yes. A pop can. Cut a piece to wrap around that broken area. You will want to make sure the length is 1 1/2 longer on each side of the break and a double wrap. Then wrap that with Duct Tape. It may not look like a new REI pole but for a weekend quick fix it will do. Who cares the rainfly covered it.

Try spending 4 days at Lake Constance and the first day the Goats want to play Tent tag and break a pole. The repair took 15 minutes and the fix worked.

OK.. I got lazy and did not replace the pole for a year because the fix worked. Sure it took a bit of patience when setting up and taking down the tent.

Duct tape everytime B)

I always pack a small roll for this reason and many more, list below are some of my reasons for carrying a roll of Duct tape.

repairs:

tent poles

cuts and rips in waterproofs

cracked drinks bottles

flapping soles on boots if like me one time you fall alseep with you feet to close to the fire and then find that the stiching has burnt away and you can now remould your sole :huh:

use it to seal poly bags

rips in tents, i've got one of my tents and so cheesed off with seam seeler that i've gone over the seam with Duct tape

It's always worth carrying, so are cable ties, great for lashing kit onto your pack, and good if straps or buckles and zips break on your rucsack.

Duct tape everytime B)

I always pack a small roll for this reason and many more, list below are some of my reasons for carrying a roll of Duct tape.

repairs:

tent poles

cuts and rips in waterproofs

cracked drinks bottles

flapping soles on boots if like me one time you fall alseep with you feet to close to the fire and then find that the stiching has burnt away and you can now remould your sole :huh:

use it to seal poly bags

rips in tents, i've got one of my tents and so cheesed off with seam seeler that i've gone over the seam with Duct tape

It's always worth carrying, so are cable ties, great for lashing kit onto your pack, and good if straps or buckles and zips break on your rucsack.

Seam sealer really blows big chunks. I went to the local hardware and pick up clear silicone. The same soft stuff you can use to seal your bathtub with will adhere very well to the tent fabric. Wet your finger when applying every few inches so it doesn't stick to you. Reapply every couple of seasons.

Got tired of doing that so I just bought a higher quality tent. No problems yet in the three years I've used it.