The use of Segways on hiking trails

The Mikelson Trail is a 109 mile trail system that runs along an abandoned rail line in the Black Hills region of SD. This trail, like many trails are closed to motorized vehicles. Segways are being used as part of sightseeing tours on the trail system by 2 local cities. Under state law, Segways fall under pedestrian rules and regulations and is considered an electrical personal assistive device. SD state law places Segways in the same class as bicycles which allows them on sidewalks, bike lanes and bike paths. The Mikelson Trail is a mountain biking and hiking trail. Due to several complaints by local hikers on the Segway issue, the SD Game, Fish and Parks will discuss further whether the Segway issue should be reclassified.

What is your take on this and do you have Segways on your local trail systems?

Trail use Segways have a maximum 10 mile range which means they have to turn back well before the midway point in order to bring the equipment and customer back safely.

Multi-use trails are for everybody. Hikers (generally not involved with Geocaching) are exclusionists and really dislike sharing the trail with anybody else on bicycles, wheelchairs (motorized or not) and horses.

After you step over or through a big pile of road apples or go through a giant mush puddle created by the half-ton creatures, a Segway on the trail is pretty minor in comparison when put in the proper perspective.

Edited by TotemLake

While they call it a "trail," it's really an abandoned rail line. As such, it seems like a good place for multiple compatible uses, such as hikers, bikers, and Segwayers. I am generally in favor of just anything that gets people outdoors and into recreation areas, as once they experience these fine recreation areas, they are probably more likely to support them via taxes and fees.

That said, I would not likely support the use of Segways on traditional hiking trails...but hey, that's not the question before us. :laughing:

My first thought was that this was kind of goofy, but I was able to chase down the Rapid City Journal article, and the Black Hills Travel Blog write up, and I don't any problem with what Rushmore Segway is doing. Looks like a much ado about nothing. I think they would have a rough time even with the x2 model, running what I call a trail.

At 175.1 km, the Mickelson Trail crosses several populated areas, and it looks to me that is where the Segways are used.

The same could also be said about the Pacific Crest Trail, where at 4,240 km, crosses through a town or two. As a hiking and equestrian only trail, there are points where it crosses, or shares a motorway. But for the most, it is just hiking and equestrian.

Edited by coggins

I've started riding one of these, please note the videos are riders on a closed course. I have gotten some flack from spandex clad bike riders who forget that they are riding multi use trails, not a bike only trial. The majority though have no problem.

If a Segway can be ridden safely on a trail and the trail can handle the wear and tear I see no problem. Some people get very possive about "their" trail. If Segway tours get more people outdoors then I am fine with that. Maybe the next time they go exploring they will hike, because the Segway tour allowed them to see things they didn't plan on.

Geocaching went through the same problem before it was considered acceptable by the majority of park rangers in my area. Now they call me to place caches in parks that don't have them.

I say let 'em try, provided they aren't given access where bicycles are forbidden. I still smart a little bit whenever I encounter a trail that's open to horses and closed to mountain bikes.

If nothing else, it's a business opportunity: "Mule Ears Segway Towing and Recovery Service."

If it's closed to motorized vehicles and a segway runs on an electric motor I fail to see why it would ever be allowed on the trail. If it's a dedicated hiking trail there shouldn't be any motorized vehicles allowed regardless of disability. There are plenty of places to be enjoyed without trying to cater in every case to every one for every reason regardless of the cost to everyone else. And this is coming from someone with a paraplegic in my immediate family. Oh, well, gives me one more reason to head out to even more remote trail systems. :D

The Mikelson Trail is a 109 mile trail system that runs along an abandoned rail line in the Black Hills region of SD. This trail, like many trails are closed to motorized vehicles. Segways are being used as part of sightseeing tours on the trail system by 2 local cities. Under state law, Segways fall under pedestrian rules and regulations and is considered an electrical personal assistive device. SD state law places Segways in the same class as bicycles which allows them on sidewalks, bike lanes and bike paths. The Mikelson Trail is a mountain biking and hiking trail. Due to several complaints by local hikers on the Segway issue, the SD Game, Fish and Parks will discuss further whether the Segway issue should be reclassified.

My take is that, barring a handicap preventing you from walking, you are being lazy using one of those.

I believe segways are now banned in the UK unless they are used on private property. ONce there are a few accidents involving them on trails I reckon they will start getting banned in other places too.

Fantastic photo, Kit Fox! Who ever said "Robocop" was purely a work of fiction? :)

I'd laugh the rider into embarrassment! Are you kidding me - who the heck is so lazy they can't get out and walk once in a while. I've seen one person in my community ride one - except he looks like he REALLY should be walking a whole lot more. That and the one-eyed headlamp coming at you while your driving down the street in the middle of the night should give anybody the willies.

OK OK, if you have a physical ailment that prevents you from walking -- then it's alright.

Trail use Segways have a maximum 10 mile range which means they have to turn back well before the midway point in order to bring the equipment and customer back safely.

Multi-use trails are for everybody. Hikers (generally not involved with Geocaching) are exclusionists and really dislike sharing the trail with anybody else on bicycles, wheelchairs (motorized or not) and horses.

After you step over or through a big pile of road apples or go through a giant mush puddle created by the half-ton creatures, a Segway on the trail is pretty minor in comparison when put in the proper perspective.

Something against horses? personally i would rather step in horse poop than other animal poop, like dog crap. this may because i ride horses but even still, horse poop just doesnt have that nasty quality.

I hike, bike, and ride horses so maybe im not objective but i totally get the exclusionist attitude. i think segways are rediculous but if its multiuse, who cares.

I think it is a fine idea. Those trail segways look pretty cool. As long as it is quiet and don't destroy the trail then all systems go.

I've started riding one of these, please note the videos are riders on a closed course. I have gotten some flack from spandex clad bike riders who forget that they are riding multi use trails, not a bike only trial. The majority though have no problem.

I've ridden one of those. I hated it.

I have long wanted to ride the Mickelson Trail end to end, just as I have longed to ride the C&O end to end. But to do so would take a couple of days . In the case of Mickelson I believe that the reason the segways were allowed was part of the eco tourism movement of Deadwood and part of the attempt to bring in outsiders for gambling and the historic tours. Part of the total package as it were. Hikers and bikers will do there own thing, but some of the others do not want to expend the energy necessary to traverse a trail any great distance, so the answer is a low speed powered device. Recognize it for what it is, it is part of the effort to develop the local economy. BTW, this trail has been featured as trail of the year by Rails to Trails Conservancy and information regarding the same may be found on their website. I would love to ride a groomed crushed limestone rail trail, but the closest ones to me are over 100 miles. NJ has the worst rail trails in the country. They repair them with trap rock and don't know any better. So enjoy the Mickelson. Over the weekend last past, we attempted to do some Rail Trail Riding in NY and found the trails incomplete, dangerous in that rail bridges had big holes in them. Rail Trails of the Mickelson variety are rarities, so enjoy even with the segway.

As long as the segway tours aren't forcing people off the trails, riding the things haphazardly (like the guy who rode his off a cliff...), being discourteous, and all that, then let 'em use them on multi-use paved/crushed stone type rail-trails.

I do not favor permitting the off-road types onto singletrack trails (bikes permitted or not) because they're too wide for the surface. They cannot maintain both wheels on an 18" wide trail tread and would wind up widening the trails, especially when someone needed to go around one.

And yes, a segway rescue service could make a killing.

I own a segway, and I use it on the trails at times. I also walk, or ride a bike. I think of it as a tool, like a canoe or kayak. I could swim out to the island, but canoeing is easier. I have the gen 1 XT which has the large off road tires. It has a maximum range of 20 miles. They work great on the multi use trails, but are very difficult if not impossible to ride on a single track mountain bike trail. Steep hills and/or narrow trails are not friends of segways.

I think that on a multi use trail it could be a good thing. I have to say that I don't like the feeling of being run over by grocery carts at the grocery store so I wouldn't like people coming up close to me on one of those, either. It sure would be nice if there could be a lane for vehicles that is different than the space for pedestrians.

At the same time, there are a lot of mobility challenged people who may not look like they have challenges who could get a lot of enjoyment out of getting out on the trail.

Something against horses? personally i would rather step in horse poop than other animal poop, like dog crap. this may because i ride horses but even still, horse poop just doesnt have that nasty quality.

I hike, bike, and ride horses so maybe im not objective but i totally get the exclusionist attitude. i think segways are rediculous but if its multiuse, who cares.

Personally when I ride I usually choose trails only open to horses because many hikers do not know to act correctly when they encounter a rider on a trail. They don't realize that horses are prey animals and think much differently than dogs. And don't even get me started on ATVs.. <_<