How Long Do You Look?

There's actually too many variables to even list. Unless we actually put some effort into it we don't log a DNF but will post a note. If we head to a cache but a thunderstorm rolls in fast and we head out quick, we didn't really look so don't feel just in posting a DNF. But it all depends on the location and the challenge (and who hid it as some of us locals put caches out to specifically challenge certain others).

As far as previous DNF's, that kind of a personal passion of mine now. I really get a big smile when finding a cache that has several DNF's, especially from experienced cachers. We went to a preserve and found a cache on the ground far away from it's hiding spot that had several DNF's and for good reason. But soon after we spent almost an hour searching an ammo can that had a half dozen DNF's and hadn't been found in almost a year. Kept starting to leave but like I said, I like finding caches that have eluded others. We stuck with it and found it and that was the most rewarding find of the day.

What's also fun is caches you 'find' but can't get to because of the muggles or some other reason, and you have to step back and plot your stealth moves to get it. Did a couple down in Key West like that which I even have pictures of me retrieving that were a total blast. 5 minutes to find the cache, 20 minutes figuring out how to get it and waiting for the opportunity. And the funniest part was in the toughest one I snagged a TB I saw on the listing but did it by feel. When we were away from the spot I looked at it and only part of the TB came out of the conatiner so we had to go back and do it again! :D

I've actually reached a point I'll post a DNF if I bookmarked the cache as part of the hike of the month I organize, go on the hike and then choose not to look for the cache for any variety of reasons. I wil however, put the reason for the DNF so the reader behind me can make their own determinations. Notes for me, are a continuation of a log too long for one post or incidental information. For me, logging a DNF boils down to the intent. Have I always done this? No, but it does add to the history of my evolution in this game. :lol:

Edited by TotemLake

How long to look is tricky for me. I'm primarily a hiker, and I don't generally search for caches described as challenging or cleverly hidden. By the time I reach a cache location, I've generally driven for a couple hours and hiked for several more. So I am eager to find the cache. In many cases, finding the cache in a reasonable amount of time is essential to completing my hike/trip on schedule. A protracted search can cause me to scrap a portion of my hike plan.

On a recent hike, I blew it. I got fixated on finding a particular cache (a #$%ing micro in the middle of nowhere) and burned 45 minutes looking. Not taking pictures, not enjoying the scenery, not hiking, but methodically turning over rocks. I can do that at home and call it 'yard work.' Forty-five minutes isn't a lot, but it was enough that I had to trim a couple miles from the end of my hike plan. In fairness to the cache owner, he did properly classify the cache as a micro, and he did rate the difficulty as a three, so I was forewarned. But I got sucked in anyway. Some lessons have to be relearned over and over...

I look until I stop having fun. Then I log a DNF.

Yes the #1 answer.. and for me the amount of time will vary according to the environment the cache is in. Micro in a muggle zone... 10 minutes max; but last week, 2 miles from the road, near a stream and nice waterfall, I had a 90 minute DNF.

I am of the same opinion. I look until I'm irritated by the cache and not enjoying the hunt anymore, then I look for another 5 minutes and call it quits.

A lot of times if I find it's a micro/nano in a thick tree, I don't even bother because I get more frustrated by those then any and I want to ENJOY the hides. Not be annoyed by them.

My rule on DNF's is not a rule. I log them when I feel the need to. If I have looked HARD for a cache and had no luck, I'll DNF it. If I didn't give it my best hunt, I won't DNF but I will likely be back. I've DNF'd this cache several times and the owner is a friend of mine.

Responding to my own topic here:

This thread has somewhat morphed into a "To DNF or Not DNF" discussion, so I'll add my two cents. My son and I were out caching just yesterday. I downloaded about 20 caches before we went out. Well, I think once we got to about five of the locations, we decided against actually looking for the container. For instance, three of them were hidden within a county park. Well, once we got to the park and figured out where two fo the three would be, we chose not to search for them, mainly due to very thick brush and knowing that the skeeter population would be virtually unbearable.

Now, since we never actually got near GZ and actually looked for the container, I chose to do nothing as far as a DNF is concerned. My opinion is that if you don't actually look for the container, then DNFing is not necessary.

How long do you spend looking for the container before you give up and consider it a DNF?

So again, how long do you look, and what kind of criteria determines the time you'll invest before giving up?

First, in my opinion, if you go and can not find it you should log a DNF.

Second you look until you decide you can not find it. Than can be 5 min or 30 min.

Third, come back again. Many times the second look will make a big difference.

Forth, since you are fairly new at this give the owner an email and ask for a bit of help. After a while you will be able to notice some "cache hiding places" that you would not think of before you started caching.

There is a hint on the page that looks like a really good hint.

Good luck to you and the boys.

;) Great answer, I am pretty new to this myself and I have tried twice to e-mail cache owner but never goat a replay, I was wondering if I had commited some kind of Geosin and risked being sent off to Geo jail :-) and I look some times for more than 30 min, but dang I hate to get stumped...

I look until I stop having fun. Then I log a DNF.

That's a really good measure of determining how long to search.

If I am on a holiday geotrip, the amount of time I search before DNF depends on how many caches are in the local area, or how urgent that I want the find.

While on holidays, I did the hike to Mission 9: Tunnel of Light (GC1169). Since I had "invested" a lot of time getting to the cache, I spend a couple hours hunting for the cache before finding it. When I got to the general area, I was getting really poor satellite reception, but I didn't want to leave without finding this particular cache.

I've done geotrips where there might be 10 caches within a couple mile area, so I usually do not search too hard if I cannot find the cache. I know that there are many others in the area that I can try. And I've been known to return to a previous DNF if I have extra time, to try the second time to find a cache.

And sometimes, certain caches take on a life of their own, and you become obsessed to find the cache. For me, it was Loci (GCMTDA). Every time I was in the area, I would search for this cache. I must have returned over 5 times to try for this cache. Finally, with a little help from a posted photo, I was able to find this cache and remove it from the "do list".

instance, three of them were hidden within a county park. Well, once we got to the park and figured out where two fo the three would be, we chose not to search for them, mainly due to very thick brush and knowing that the skeeter population would be virtually unbearable.

Now, since we never actually got near GZ and actually looked for the container, I chose to do nothing as far as a DNF is concerned. My opinion is that if you don't actually look for the container, then DNFing is not necessary.

We were on our way home last night, 20 minutes of daylight left. We pulled into the parking lot of 2 caches, one was .3 away and the other .5. We decided we'd pass and do them another day. I wouldn't log a DNF, a note or anything because we never set out to try them.

Generally, though, if I head out to find a cache and I can't find it or get there because there's too much poison ivy, a skunk near ground zero or something else, I'll log a DNF.

Edited by Skippermark

Depends on the complexity of the cache, easy caches around 15 min, more complex around 45-1 hour and even more. There is one cache i've been 5 times and i've searched for 1-2 hours each time, because it's very complex and people have found it after i've been there and it's still a DNF!

I hope it ain't the saame one I tried first! My first try at geocaching and I spent almost 3 hours looking for the cache. My first DNF but that has not affected my "passion" for geocaching. I'm gonna try that one again, but I have to mention that some caches do have either very poor clues / too complex for newbies at the sport.

Edited by shotgunpr

About 30 minutes as most of my finds are urbans[if its a good sized container e.g. small or larger]

maybe 10 minutes if its a blinkie with lots of tiny places.

if its a place with like 99999999999999999999 rocks and the clue is "under a rock", i'll flip a few and call that one a dnf and off to ignore it goes.

if i couldn't find it, it gets a dnf log. gave up asking for a hint via email because nobody writes back

IF after you are completely sure cache is not there. PUT IN MAINTENANCE NOTICE to owner. Can't tell you how many times I have seen multiple DNF's and nobody puts in a notice.
I don't know how many times I've had multiple DNF's on a cache only to hike, bike or kayak out to it and find out it's still there and hidden as originally hidden. I have had caches that had more DNF's then finds, I've checked it a dozen times because of what people post only to find out it's still there. I think maintenance notices should be for what they are, when a cache needs maintenance. If someone can't find a cache they can email the owner and ask them to check it, but since they don't KNOW the cache needs maintenance they should refrain from posting that it DEFINITELY DOES. That's right up there with the logs stating "We looked all around and couldn't find it, this one is probably gone". Yeah, right....

Yah, I have a cache that receives the same wrong answer at times too. Once they have found it, they realize how deceptively easy it was and do the Homer Simpson slap. Sometimes a DNF simply indicates the seeker was over thinking the hide.

Depends Depends Depends......I will spend 30 mins to an hour...now if someone has hidden a micro IN THE WOODS...where we all know your coords will be bouncing and it could be 40 or more feet in any direction with literally hundreds of places to hide the dadgum thing...i may spend 30 minutes tops before I leave disgusted and log the DNF :unsure:

My basic rule is 10 minutes total time spent looking, depending on how many of us are there looking, muggles and weather.

This would mean that if three of us look for 5 minutes and find nothing once we have zeroed in on ground-zero, that's an accumulated 15 minutes. So, we move on to the next cache and log a DNF.

If I'm caching solo I'll put in that 10 minutes, maybe more. Difficulty would add time too.

I do go to caches that have previous DNFs just to verify that it might be gone for the owner's sake so they might go check on the hide themselves. It's also fun when you do make the find even though others haven't. But more often, it's time for maintance.

Now, if I've already logged a DNF and go back and still don't find the bugger, I log a note saying as much. One official DNF per cache is my rule. All attempts after that are notes.

Often the owner will step up and check the cache after a few notes or DNFs or they will email me offering a hint.

When I read a find log on one of my own hides and it said they'd been to the location three times before making the find, I went back up and recalibrating my coordinates (changed them by 8.5 feet) and discovered that it had been re-hidden about 6 feet from where it should have been. I also made the hint better but without giving too much away.

I am fortunate in that I can do some searching while working. I am in sales and there are many hundreds of caches in my territory. Its easy to stop at a park and grab that is along m y route. But sometimes there is time in my schedule to look for a more challenging cache. So I guess my work schedule determines how long I will search. So far the longest I have searched is 15 minutes.

How long do you spend looking for the container before you give up and consider it a DNF?

As long as it takes for the goals at hand. If I am just out casually caching, I won't leave until I find it or I'll make multiple trips until I do (obsessed). If I am on a planned cache run or have a specific goal to accomplish, I use a strict 5 minute or 10 minute rule.