Garmin CO 400t Newbie Questions...

Just bought a Garmin Colorado 400t (topo) for geocaching and city and recreational driving but I'm feeling very lost for basic advice. I've updated to the beta 2.51 software. There is a software program called Spanner that I think I read will make it possible or give me the choice to use the same USB supplied PC to GPS cable to power the GPS so I can use it and save the batteries? However I can't find it at Garmin's site.

Any recommendations for NiMH batteries and a good charger for them (Radio Shack?)? How do I cycle (or condition) new batteries?

Is there an even better forum for the Colorado 400t? I'm going to have more initial questions outside of geochaching. Garmin's forum looks like a big fat zero at this point. But related to geocaching... How does one manually enter Long and Lat to a cache?

Does the Garmin hard neoprene case for the CO protect the screen? Anything (better) to protect the screen?

Thank you.

There is a software program called Spanner that I think I read will make it possible or give me the choice to use the same USB supplied PC to GPS cable to power the GPS so I can use it and save the batteries? However I can't find it at Garmin's site.

The Colorado will take power from a USB cable w/o Spanner. Chances are you don't need Spanner unless you are doing Tracking. See the Tracking section of the FAQ for details

Any recommendations for NiMH batteries and a good charger for them (Radio Shack?)? How do I cycle (or condition) new batteries?

2700 mAh PowerEx batteries and a good Maha charger. Power section of the FAQ has links. If you don't want to spend that much on a conditioning charger just use the batteries 5-6 times and they'll improve.

Is there an even better forum for the Colorado 400t?

Nope, this is where 90% of the actions is. There is a Yahoo group but it doesn't see nearly as much traffic.

I'm going to have more initial questions outside of geochaching. Garmin's forum looks like a big fat zero at this point. But related to geocaching... How does one manually enter Long and Lat to a cache?

Check out the basic operations section of the FAQ. Basically you need to mark a waypoint (press and hold the center button of the Rock'n'Roller) and then you will be given the option to edit the waypoint, edit the coordinates to the new lat/long.

Does the Garmin hard neoprene case for the CO protect the screen? Anything (better) to protect the screen?

Yes, but the screen is covered. InvisibleShield is a common solution to your problem. Links in the Accessories section of the FAQ.

GO$Rs

Thanks for the advice everyone. To get GPS operation with USB power I read/discovered that I could go to (and did) Setup > System > Interface > and change from Garmin Serial to Garmin Spanner. When I plug in now I get a choice of Mass Storage access on the PC or GPS functionality with USB 5 V supply only--not both. To switch back to the other requires disconnecting and re-connecting to get the choice screen again.

I need to get City Navigator NT next. Should I get it already on a SD card? I presume this would include on the SD card the 2008 update? :laughing: Or am I better off buying these things separate and on CD/DVDs? I was cautioned by the store salesperson not to use cards over 1G or it might slow access down. I don't plan on needing the whole thing installed anyway--the best reason for getting it in disk form? In fact, there might be enough room in the 400t for Oregon without using any card.

If and when I start needing a lot of storage is it better to swap out smaller capacity cards or have one big 2 GB card with everything on it?

Edited by Ratsneve

Thanks for the advice everyone. To get GPS operation with USB power I read/discovered that I could go to (and did) Setup > System > Interface > and change from Garmin Serial to Garmin Spanner. When I plug in now I get a choice of Mass Storage access on the PC or GPS functionality with USB 5 V supply only--not both. To switch back to the other requires disconnecting and re-connecting to get the choice screen again.

I need to get City Navigator NT next. Should I get it already on a SD card? I presume this would include on the SD card the 2008 update? :laughing: Or am I better off buying these things separate and on CD/DVDs? I was cautioned by the store salesperson not to use cards over 1G or it might slow access down. I don't plan on needing the whole thing installed anyway--the best reason for getting it in disk form? In fact, there might be enough room in the 400t for Oregon without using any card.

If and when I start needing a lot of storage is it better to swap out smaller capacity cards or have one big 2 GB card with everything on it?

I bought NT for the PC so that I can use it there as well. Bought a 2 gig card but so far I have not used it. I have CA and about 8 other western states along with 4 or 5 states in the area of OH which appeared to load just fine in the unit itself. So far I see no update issues with the maps in terms of loading speed.

I'm a newbie myself, but I think getting City Navigator on an SD card is a bad idea. You can't upgrade it so you have to purchase the whole thing over again if you want to update. At least updates are cheap.

I would opine that getting the SD cards is only needed if you travel to a lot of different countries and need those maps without having to swap out via a laptop. It would be easy to swap out SD cards.

I have the same setup. I bought City Navigator off of Amazon, registered it, and got the 2009 update via download for free (it'll show up as a link in myGarmin).

edit: Spanner mode, I think that's what was screwing up my installation. The drivers never loaded because I was in Serial mode, not spanner. Go figure. I wish the included documentation with the Colorado wasn't so incredibly lacking...

Edited by quintios

I'm a newbie myself, but I think getting City Navigator on an SD card is a bad idea.

I have the same setup. I bought City Navigator off of Amazon, registered it, and got the 2009 update via download for free (it'll show up as a link in myGarmin).

edit: Spanner mode, I think that's what was screwing up my installation. The drivers never loaded because I was in Serial mode, not spanner. Go figure. I wish the included documentation with the Colorado wasn't so incredibly lacking...

The CO 400t is making an idiot out of me with City Navigator NT and its updates--I can't find the base City Navigator to buy from Amazon! I've found 2007, 2008, and the 2009 update DVDs but you say I can download the 2009 update--which I will somehow one day manage to do. What or which City Navigator do I buy first and register?

Regarding the Garmin Spanner interface. There is a beta software 2.51 that may relate to using this Spanner function you might want to take a look at if you don't already have it installed.

I agree that the Garmin documentation for the CO is awful--certainly for newbies and/or people like myself that would like to learn every angle correctly the first time through. Thank goodness for this forum and the FAQ referenced here.

I'm going back to Amazon to see if I can't figure things out now. :laughing:

First of all there are 2 City Navigators (CN):

There is the regular uncompressed CN and there is compressed call NT (New Technology).

Then you choose the region. If you want USA maps then you want CN North America (CNNA) or CN North America NT (CNNANT).

Finally you add the version. Garmin updates every year:

v.8 – released 2006

v. 2008 – release 2007

v. 2009 – released 2008

Now you add it all together and get City Navigator North America NT2009 (CNNA NT2009) as the latest release for North America. CNNA 2009 has not been released yet on DVD. Which brings up another point, DVD or preloaded SD? DVD can use in multiple computers and can be updated for about 60% the cost of the full version. Peloaded SD can be used in multiple GPS’s but can’t be updated.

There is a free upgrade to version 2009 maps if you buy a version 2008 maps. You have 30 days to get this update. You can download for free (2 gb download) or Garmin will send it to you for $10 shipping.

Now that I've discovered spanner mode, makes me think that I could simply use my iPod car power adapter (it has a usb input at the end of the cigarette lighter adapter) to power the GPS and have the brighter screen.

Anyone try this?

I would try without Spanner mode to start. If it is the same type of cable as the Garmin vehicle adapter it will power the Colorado without requiring Spanner mode. If the cable puts the Colorado immediately into mass storage mode you'll need to switch to Spanner mode and answer no to the mass storage mode query you get when you plug it in.

GO$Rs

I have the Colorado 400t. To save batteries I use the same 12v cable that came with my Nuvi 350. It powers the 400 and does not send it to mass storage mode. As for City NT 2009. I downloaded it and then used map installer that comes with map source and placed it on a 2gb sd card then put it in my 400t. It only slows it down during boot up not so bad during operation.

Edited by kayakxtreme

I have the Colorado 400t. ... As for City NT 2009. I downloaded it and then used map installer that comes with map source and placed it on a 2gb sd card then put it in my 400t. It only slows it down during boot up not so bad during operation.

Confusing as heck...Are all of you saying that these DVD labeled 2007 Update, 2008 Update, and 2009 Update function as stand-alone too? Garmin's Maps section sells a base NT DVD that doesn't say it is an update...then I assume you buy or download for free the latest update to go with it? I also assume at this point that you don't need the 2007 or 2008 labeled updates if you download/buy the 2009 update. I couldn't find this base DVD at Amazon or any mention of it. In my searches I only found the updates.

Once this gets sorted out and I have City Navigator NT 2009 loaded and running on my PC can I from the PC create a trip route including all waypoints on the PC through several states and feel satisfied with its correctness and then download just those states to the 400t (and if there is enough room maybe not even need an SD card?) and then end up with that same trip route and waypoints ready to actually use on the 400t?

Thank you. I'm spending enough money on this gadget that sooner or later it should all start to work and make sense--right? :)

Edited by Ratsneve

I have the Colorado 400t. ... As for City NT 2009. I downloaded it and then used map installer that comes with map source and placed it on a 2gb sd card then put it in my 400t. It only slows it down during boot up not so bad during operation.

How were you able to download City NT 2009 if you didn't already have City NT installed on your PC? Edited by Ratsneve

First of all there are 2 City Navigators (CN):

There is the regular uncompressed CN and there is compressed call NT (New Technology).

Then you choose the region. If you want USA maps then you want CN North America (CNNA) or CN North America NT (CNNANT).

Finally you add the version. Garmin updates every year:

v.8 – released 2006

v. 2008 – release 2007

v. 2009 – released 2008

Now you add it all together and get City Navigator North America NT2009 (CNNA NT2009) as the latest release for North America. CNNA 2009 has not been released yet on DVD. Which brings up another point, DVD or preloaded SD? DVD can use in multiple computers and can be updated for about 60% the cost of the full version. Peloaded SD can be used in multiple GPS’s but can’t be updated.

There is a free upgrade to version 2009 maps if you buy a version 2008 maps. You have 30 days to get this update. You can download for free (2 gb download) or Garmin will send it to you for $10 shipping.

I have only had 2008 for about a month. Where do you find the free download for 2009?

Edited by Cache Viking

Garmin has had trouble with these updates showing up. There are 2 ways. First try here to see if you have an update available. You can either enter the GPS serial number or connect it to your PC and click find to let it find the GPS serial number. The second way is to check here. You log into your MyGarmin and it should show up there. Mine didn’t show up either place and I had to end up calling Garmin (800-800-1020) to get it. Warning! Do not email Garmin unless you are very patient. Email to Garmin is low priority and get answered very slowly. Several days is not uncommon.

Confusing as heck...Are all of you saying that these DVD labeled 2007 Update, 2008 Update, and 2009 Update function as stand-alone too? Garmin's Maps section sells a base NT DVD that doesn't say it is an update...then I assume you buy or download for free the latest update to go with it? I also assume at this point that you don't need the 2007 or 2008 labeled updates if you download/buy the 2009 update. I couldn't find this base DVD at Amazon or any mention of it. In my searches I only found the updates.

Once this gets sorted out and I have City Navigator NT 2009 loaded and running on my PC can I from the PC create a trip route including all waypoints on the PC through several states and feel satisfied with its correctness and then download just those states to the 400t (and if there is enough room maybe not even need an SD card?) and then end up with that same trip route and waypoints ready to actually use on the 400t?

Thank you. I'm spending enough money on this gadget that sooner or later it should all start to work and make sense--right? :)

That brings up another point. There are 4 types of City Navigator North America you can buy.

1) City Navigator North America, full version

2) City Navigator North America, update

3) City Navigator North America NT, full version

4) City Navigator North America NT, update

You must have the full version installed before you can use the cheaper update.

Now here’s the real confusing part, City Navigator North America NT v.8, 2008 and 2009 are all Garmin part number (010-10816-00). There is a new updated version every year but the part number hasn’t changed. How do you know what version you are buying? You don’t unless you have the product in hand. The version is marked on a label on the back next to the UPC code. If you order from Garmin you get the latest version (2009). If you order from another distributor you may get version 2008 but then you have 30 days to update for free to version 2009.

How were you able to download City NT 2009 if you didn't already have City NT installed on your PC?

email me at kayakxtreme@hotmail.com and I can tell you how to get it.

Garmin has had trouble with these updates showing up. There are 2 ways. First try here to see if you have an update available. You can either enter the GPS serial number or connect it to your PC and click find to let it find the GPS serial number. The second way is to check here. You log into your MyGarmin and it should show up there. Mine didn’t show up either place and I had to end up calling Garmin (800-800-1020) to get it. Warning! Do not email Garmin unless you are very patient. Email to Garmin is low priority and get answered very slowly. Several days is not uncommon.

Thanks. Your second link took me to a page I had checked before so I looked again and this time found it. Should have looked closer before. I showed I had an update available of which is downloading now. Thanks

Thanks. Your second link took me to a page I had checked before so I looked again and this time found it. Should have looked closer before. I showed I had an update available of which is downloading now. Thanks

Well after all that download time it keeps getting errors. Guess I will be making a phone call and ordering it on disk. ;)

I recently bought my 60Cx and City Nav 2008 DVD and I can't find where to d/l the upgrade to 2009. When I go to the Garmin site it asks for my serial number (on the GPS) and they says there are no upgrades.

Didn't I post somewhere that this process of upgrading, registering, and activation was an absolute nightmare requiring phone calls to Garmin with their 30 minute initial wait times plus another minimum 30 minute wait to get to the software side of things? I may have described it as fubar even. I'm pretty sure you won't see the 2009 update to download until after your base 2008 City Nav is registered and activated--that took one phone call. The site considers when you bought/registered/activated the original 2008 base to determine if you get a free download of the 2009 update. At that time you can elect to have them mail you the 2009 update DVD for postage. Once you have the update, either way you choose, you install it, register it, activate it and this took the second (or were there three) phone calls. Then believe it or not the original 2008 version is useless. You don't need it because the 2009 version is complete in itself. I deleted my version off my PC and MapSource. If it is stand-alone why can't you just buy the 2009 version?

I strongly suggest you give up a whole weekday morning to this task and wish you good luck.

Edited by Ratsneve

I recently bought my 60Cx and City Nav 2008 DVD and I can't find where to d/l the upgrade to 2009. When I go to the Garmin site it asks for my serial number (on the GPS) and they says there are no upgrades.

Didn't I post somewhere that this process of upgrading, registering, and activation was an absolute nightmare requiring phone calls to Garmin with their 30 minute initial wait times plus another minimum 30 minute wait to get to the software side of things? I may have described it as fubar even. I'm pretty sure you won't see the 2009 update to download until after your base 2008 City Nav is registered and activated--that took one phone call. The site considers when you bought/registered/activated the original 2008 base to determine if you get a free download of the 2009 update. At that time you can elect to have them mail you the 2009 update DVD for postage. Once you have the update, either way you choose, you install it, register it, activate it and this took the second (or were there three) phone calls. Then believe it or not the original 2008 version is useless. You don't need it because the 2009 version is complete in itself. I deleted my version off my PC and MapSource. If it is stand-alone why can't you just buy the 2009 version?

I strongly suggest you give up a whole weekday morning to this task and wish you good luck.

i think you and i are caught in the same circle of hell.

i get to call garmin again tomorrow cuz mygarmin gives no option to order my semi-free update. :(

wonder why their stock is 1/4 what it was.

I was hoping things had changed. I registered and activated my 2008 online but didn't realize I'd have to go thru the phone nightmare, too. I also sent them an email on how to upgrade but have heard nothing yet. I'll try the phone routine while working at my desk this next week. Thanks!!