GPS Shows Name, Palm show description

ferventkids

Hello, I have been doing this about a week now and loving it :ph34r:

I have an old palm 3 that I dug out of the drawer, I have loaded cachemate on it, I am very suprised how fast it is with over 300 caches in the database (our area). I always remembered it as a dog lol (maybe that is why it was in the drawer).

I am using the Magellan 1412 and my problem is that the GPS unit shows the caches as the name e.g. GC783F, GC1CKHD ect ect, and the palm shows the descriptions Aladdin's Lamp, Weston Cache, ect ect.

I have tried to look through the faqs and stuff, but maybe since I am still so new to this, I am not catching it.

I have used a query to download the area caches, converted that with the cachemate convertor to the palm, then using vantage and poi editor, I convert the queary to a .mgln file for the gps unit.

Thanks for any help

Ron

ferventkids

n6ach

I'm pretty sure you can Export from GSAK for the Magellan.

Not for the 1412, this is a new version that uses an file extension .mgln

I have downloaded the program, it does export directly to the palm, still having troubles with the export to the VantagePoint software, same issue about it using the short name. I upped the name to 20 characters, but it still export it as the description. I will keep trying.

Thanks for the help and the tips

Ron

I have what may be the same issue when I try to export from GSAK to my Palm 515. I can't get the GCxxxx value to show up in the Palm which makes it crazy hard to find anything. I am not interested in "not" using the GCxxxx value in my GPS. I just can't figure out how to get the GCxxxx value into the Palm.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for earlier. :laughing:

I was able to get the smart names to work, so at least on the gps it is close to the description in the palm, but now when I have to load a query in a hurry, I know now how to display the name that will match the gps (GC783F, GC1CKHD ect ect).

Edited by ferventkids