Weary, oh so weary!

cownchicken

After spending 4 weeks away from home, caching on the Isle of Man, London and in the Eastern Cape - well, we are weary beyond words :ph34r: Weeks of micro's - in graveyards (not our favourite place to go sneaking around in - really do NOT like walking over dead folk and poking around in age old walls ), beaches covered in sand that has covered the area by wind from a different direction to the prevailing one and shopping centres with no GPS reception. Puzzle caches with no clear instructions once you have deciphered what was needed.

We were ready to drop a TB in the Thames (had it been anywhere near us) after walking for 8km's trying to find a regular cache to drop it in.

Anybody else feel this way after caching in other Provinces or countries?

Edited by cownchicken

After spending 4 weeks away from home, caching on the Isle of Man, London and in the Eastern Cape - well, we are weary beyond words :ph34r: Weeks of micro's - in graveyards (not our favourite place to go sneaking around in - really do NOT like walking over dead folk and poking around in age old walls ), beaches covered in sand that has covered the area by wind from a different direction to the prevailing one and shopping centres with no GPS reception. Puzzle caches with no clear instructions once you have deciphered what was needed.

We were ready to drop a TB in the Thames (had it been anywhere near us) after walking for 8km's trying to find a regular cache to drop it in.

In all fairness where would you put a decent size cache along the thames that wouldnt get muggled? You missed out if you didnt get to Regents park or Hampstead heath all very easy to get to by tube. I dont like doing the churchyard ones myself which is why I just dont do them anymore.

I have to say geocaching for me in the east midlands UK has been super B) lots of lovely country side walks and big caches.

please dont take this the wrong way but surely you checked what kind of caches you were doing before you did them and knew you would find micros or large ones?

k

We were ready to drop a TB in the Thames (had it been anywhere near us) after walking for 8km's trying to find a regular cache to drop it in.......

If it was mine, I am so glad you didn't...... thanks for taking Load Shedder along. :ph34r:

In all fairness where would you put a decent size cache along the thames that wouldnt get muggled? You missed out if you didnt get to Regents park or Hampstead heath all very easy to get to by tube. I dont like doing the churchyard ones myself which is why I just dont do them anymore.

I have to say geocaching for me in the east midlands UK has been super :ph34r: lots of lovely country side walks and big caches.

please dont take this the wrong way but surely you checked what kind of caches you were doing before you did them and knew you would find micros or large ones?

k

Three days in London doesn't give one much choice!!

I have to say geocaching for me in the east midlands UK has been super :ph34r: lots of lovely country side walks and big caches.

k

3 days B) you cant do much with that can you :< oh well maybe next time B) dont go to london :D come to the country side next time lol

k

k

Edited by cownchicken

The budget doesn't always allow one to go where one would like. London was only a stopover between the Isle of Man and SA. Also it is a whole different ball game when one is earning pounds!

1 minute to create a PQ and look, over 100 Large and Regular sized traditional caches turn up within London.

Your Oyster card is capped at £6.50 for a whole days travelling within Zones 1-6 (covering most of London) valid on buses, the tube, trams, the docklands light railway and even a few train services.

Geo.Kitten managed to find a Large and a Regular cache on her last trip and we only had half a day in London.

Next.....?

Philip

Certainly is a popular cache - 962 logged visits with 34 DNF's and 252 Notes since being placed 25 June 2003. Although it is a favourite for TB's it is also a cache where TB's go MIA fairly regularly as well from what I can gather. I lost a Geocoin there last month MIA!! :rolleyes:

However, next time I'm in London it is on my list to visit. Hopefully my coin would have resurfaced by then - :rolleyes:

Your Oyster card is capped at £6.50 for a whole days travelling within Zones 1-6 (covering most of London) valid on buses, the tube, trams, the docklands light railway and even a few train services.

Geo.Kitten managed to find a Large and a Regular cache on her last trip and we only had half a day in London.

You earn £'s we presume!

When a cappucino costs R60 in London I don't think we need to say more!

What we are saying is that when one is paying close to R16 a £, life becomes expensive in the UK.

Food becomes more important than Oyster cards, so you rely on Shank's pony and finding those regular caches is not that easy.

Oh by the way, the cappucino was at Costa's. Would cost around R15 in South Africa.

We were paying about £1.20 for filter coffee at Subway = +R18.00 (in a paper cup and which you collected at the self service counter.) Here coffee costs anything from R7 up. Pricey for us there?

Edited by cownchicken

After spending 4 weeks away from home, caching on the Isle of Man, London and in the Eastern Cape - well, we are weary beyond words :lol: Weeks of micro's - in graveyards (not our favourite place to go sneaking around in - really do NOT like walking over dead folk and poking around in age old walls ), beaches covered in sand that has covered the area by wind from a different direction to the prevailing one and shopping centres with no GPS reception. Puzzle caches with no clear instructions once you have deciphered what was needed.

I feel your Pain C&C! After a month of tekking around Europe (Scotland, France and Switzerland) we finally dumped all the TB's that we had brought with us in a cache close to the Geneva airport. This after they had travelled with me from SA, to Scotland, through France and into Switzerland.

Note, we dumped all the TB on our last day on the trip. Both C and I felt rather sad about this.

The only thing worse would be to have returned to SA with them still in the ruck sack.... ;P

Glad you are back and (kinda) enjoyed your trip to mud island's close neighbour :huh:

Hmmm C&C, I'm a young South African living in the UK (not in London tho as I really don't like London) and my parents have had to postpone a trip to visit me for another year because of the exchange rate so I do get it about the exchange rate! Sadly I cannot come home this year because my passport is with the home office being renewed [;)]

Personally I've never cached in London so couldn't comment but do have to say that caching in the English countryside is good! What was caching on the IOM like? It's on my to do list to visit at some point in the distant future (distant as I'd rather come home for a holiday!).

If you do visit again in the future and would like to, mail me through my profile and I could try to meet up with you to exchange bugs if you have difficulty finding a suitable cache.

Thanks for the offer! We appreciate it. We won't be coming over again for a few years.

But we will be returning to the Isle of Man again sometime.

It is really beautiful! We enjoyed our walks along the magnificent coastline, along the Heritage Trail, the little harbours, the beautiful glens, the fantastic museums (notably The House of Keys) and of course, chicken and ShambleRamble enjoyed the TT Races.

Read our logs - a really wonderful cache was GC10HTX -The John Fairfield .

There are lots of Puzzle caches - these are not easy to solve! We solved most of them, but unfortunately having to rely on public transport and time restraints, we didn't get to do many of them - so we'll be back for more TT Races and some caching.

The island is small enough to walk across in a day (The Heritage Trail series of caches), also to walk from Castletown to Port St. Mary is a lovely walk along the coast, through fields, over stiles and among sheep.

If you do go, go in the summer months as the Island virtually shuts down in winter - museums, electric trams, tea rooms etc.