What is best unit for car with voice commands?

I friend of mine is in the market for a unit for his wife to use in the car. Ease of use and accurate maps for non-metro areas are primary factors.

Thanks for your input

I don't know whether this one is "best" or not, but I've had a Garmin Nuvi 350 for a year and I love love it!! The price is down to $199 at Amazon, I think. This unit is very easy to use (I am NOT a techie, I'm an elementary teacher!!) and speaks the names of each street for turns in addition to the distance, often tells me which lane to get in too. If you prefer to go another route, it will quickly recalculate and tell you how to go that way, no endless "make a U turn" messages as some units do. I highly recommend this GPS. (It does not respond to voice commands, if that was what you mean. But it talks TO you.) There are other, fancier models of Nuvis, but this one is great IMHO.

I've also used it for geocaching (although it's really made for car use), and it's very accurate in finding coordinates. It finds and holds the satellite signals very well.

If he gets any of the Nuvi series, there is a very good bean-bag mount that works great. (Everything else you'd need is included with the GPS, including the windshield kind of mount.) But I'm picky about my car and didn't want anything stuck to it. Be sure to get the beanbag that is specifically for Nuvis, not the other Garmin one. if you don't want to use the regular mount.

HTH a little--

Edited by busternfruss

I friend of mine is in the market for a unit for his wife to use in the car. Ease of use and accurate maps for non-metro areas are primary factors.

Thanks for your input

We have the nuvi 260. Basic,Simple, Accurate and a clear voice.

Except now I have 2 women telling me were to go.

We love it.

Thanks for your input

I don't know whether this one is "best" or not, but I've had a Garmin Nuvi 350 for a year and I love love it!! The price is down to $199 at Amazon, I think. This unit is very easy to use (I am NOT a techie, I'm an elementary teacher!!) and speaks the names of each street for turns in addition to the distance, often tells me which lane to get in too. If you prefer to go another route, it will quickly recalculate and tell you how to go that way, no endless "make a U turn" messages as some units do. I highly recommend this GPS. (It does not respond to voice commands, if that was what you mean. But it talks TO you.) There are other, fancier models of Nuvis, but this one is great IMHO.

I've also used it for geocaching (although it's really made for car use), and it's very accurate in finding coordinates. It finds and holds the satellite signals very well.

If he gets any of the Nuvi series, there is a very good bean-bag mount that works great. (Everything else you'd need is included with the GPS, including the windshield kind of mount.) But I'm picky about my car and didn't want anything stuck to it. Be sure to get the beanbag that is specifically for Nuvis, not the other Garmin one. if you don't want to use the regular mount.

HTH a little--

We also have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and we love it too. It work just fine for geocaching. We put it into pedestrian mode once we get to the location of the cache and it tells you which direction to walk.