Cachemate

Searched for an answer to this, but didn't find it (I'm sure it's there somewhere but nevertheless it escaped me!!). A week ago I decided to try paperless caching. I did not have a handheld. I now have a Palm Vx, a Palm m505, and a Palm z22. The only one I have set up yet is the Vx. It works flawlessly. Can I use all 3 handhelds with one version of Palm Desktop. Also, can I use all 3 handhelds with one copy of Cachemate. I can't seem to figure how Palm Desktop will differentiate between the handhelds because I am under the impression that I must have the same username for each handheld in order for cachemate to be registered on each one. Is that assumption correct? What are the limitations of Palm Desktop and Cachemate and 3 different model handhelds? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Edited by GreatCanadian

Have you tried to hot sync all three with Palm Desktop? When I tried to hot sync two with the same user name it told me I could not. Each Palm must have a unique name.

Palm Desktop will let me hot sync each Palm to a different computer, ie home and work.

Try to get the Palms working first, then work with Cachemate. Take one step at a time.

Ok...with regards to the extra registration codes, when I am filling out the form, it asks for my hotsync name...do i enter the one that's currently registered or the username on my other palms? Again, thanks.

Disregard that part as I figured out that I do NOT enter the one that is currently registered. So I guess what I need to know now is if ONE Palm Desktop will work with 3 different MODELS of handhelds. Does anyone use more than one model handheld with one Palm Desktop. There are different Palm Desktops for the Palm Vx and the Palm Z22. (I think the m505 works with the same version as the Vx). Once I figure that part out I'm on my way. I need to be able to sync both the Vx and the Z22 from the same computer but they require different versions of Palm Desktop. That's the problem.

Edited by GreatCanadian

On one computer with one copy of Palm Desktop I have four Palm handhelds.

1. IIIx, 2. IIIc, 3. Treo 180g 4. Treo 650. # 1 & 2 are serial connection, # 3 & 4 are USB connection.

I have windows XP Pro. I understand there is a different Palm Desktop for windows Vista.

It works for me, but maybe Z22 is different. Have you looked at the Palm One site ? It sounds like you have a Palm problem.

My husband and I used one desktop for both of our accounts. He has a Zire 31 and I have a Palm IIIxe. You need a separate hotsync name for each user and the user account has to mesh with your PDA. You "name" your PDA the first time you hotsync it.

The different desktop is for Windows VISTA OS, not for the different Palms.

You could download the information to one Pam and beam the info to the others.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I took your advice and visited the Palm website again. While there I took up a live chat support, and their agent assures me that one Palm Desktop should support ALL the different models (as long as the version you install is supported by your latest model handheld). In other words, my latest model is the z22. By installing the palm desktop for the z22 it will hotsync with ALL models released prior to the z22. Again, thanks for all your replies.

From the Cachemate registration page at <a href="http://smittyware.com/register.php" target="_blank">http://smittyware.com/register.php</a>:

Each registration fee that is paid entitles you to 5 registration codes...

WOO-HOO! That's good news, when was that instituted? Since I have paid for two registration fees, I guess I have eight more registration codes coming to me!

Thanks for all the replies folks. I took your advice and visited the Palm website again. While there I took up a live chat support, and their agent assures me that one Palm Desktop should support ALL the different models (as long as the version you install is supported by your latest model handheld). In other words, my latest model is the z22. By installing the palm desktop for the z22 it will hotsync with ALL models released prior to the z22. Again, thanks for all your replies.

The only (and usually minor) hitch is that the newer desktop software may not support some of the conduits used by your older unit.

Could you please explain. What would be on the older units that would not be on the newer units? (I believe that's what you are talking about??)

I have both a Zire 71 and a Z22, so I can give a couple of examples.

The contact management application is called "Address" on the Z71 and "Contacts" on the Z22. The calendar application is called "Date Book" on the Z71 and "Calendar" on the Z22.

All it means is that a few conduit errors are logged when you HotSync, because the Z71 can't find the conduits that are exclusive to the Z22, and the Z22 can't find the ones that are exclusive to the Z71. It's no big deal. You can read the HotSync log if you want to make sure that no important problems have been logged.

Patty