Here is what my niece's coin looks like so far

maldar

monkeykathleencoincopyeg6.jpg

This is what the coin looks like so far. Her name is MonkeyKathleen. I have not talked to her yet about what she would like on the back. The design comes from the image I made for her, shown below.

monkeykathleenjepgqq9.jpg

I hope I can get the white placed back in with inking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

maldar

edit: forgot some information

Edited by maldar

This is what the coin looks like so far. Her name is MonkeyKathleen. I have not talked to her yet about what she would like on the back. The design comes from the image I made for her, shown below.

I hope I can get the white placed back in with inking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

maldar

Very Cute, we like seeing kids coin ideas. We will be in for a couple when they are ready.

sweetlife

maldar

i am not normally a naysayer, but this frankly is a little strange looking. are you sure this is how your niece sees herself? please forgive my frankness.

rsg

maldar

i am not normally a naysayer, but this frankly is a little strange looking. are you sure this is how your niece sees herself? please forgive my frankness.

rsg

My niece is a very cute 12 year old girl. She looks nothing like a monkey nor thinks she looks like one either. The name comes from when she was little and climbing and hang on everything, not her looks. She still likes the name and loves all the cartoonish monkey type things out there.

Do you only wear Red Shoes? I'm betting that is a no, nor do you see yourself as a shoe.

I'm not very familiar with the possibilities in the minting, but if the metal under the enamal had a 3D "crinkles" pettern would that help to add the look you seek with the white? Could some of the metal even protrude through the enamel, it wouldn't be "White" but could give a similar effect. are there no colors available that can be marbled, or like Mother of Pearl

The crinkled metal under a translucent color should give a slight apearence of being marbled, no?

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I guess one would have to be careful as to how or where the tail comes out :D

Yes, I agree - especially with the clothes, it would probably look weird. I've just never seen a tail-less monkey. *shrugs*

up in the air curling to one side, not down to the ground

Looks like some work on the proportions is in order

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I agree with several of the comments I've red so far. I think her head should be made to look more like a cute chimp instead of round. It also needs to be a little smaller. She needs a tail curling up, maybe toward the right side of the coin and under the GPS. I would like to see something different with her left hand and maybe you could add a little antennae to the GPS. Secondly, I would like to offer the observation that because she is carrying the ammo box, it suggests to me that she is placing a cache. If that is what you are going for then great, but if you are trying to convey her finding caches, then maybe you want her kneeling or just coming up on the ammo box. I like the crinkled effect, maybe using a silver coin, then slightly filling the coin with enamel so that the crinkle peaks rise up and show throught than the enamel.

I agree with several of the comments I've red so far. I think her head should be made to look more like a cute chimp instead of round. It also needs to be a little smaller. She needs a tail curling up, maybe toward the right side of the coin and under the GPS. I would like to see something different with her left hand and maybe you could add a little antennae to the GPS. Secondly, I would like to offer the observation that because she is carrying the ammo box, it suggests to me that she is placing a cache. If that is what you are going for then great, but if you are trying to convey her finding caches, then maybe you want her kneeling or just coming up on the ammo box. I like the crinkled effect, maybe using a silver coin, then slightly filling the coin with enamel so that the crinkle peaks rise up and show throught than the enamel.

I have a question. What do you mean by "something different with her left hand?"

Since she uses a Garmin Ledgend when we are out caching I'm going to stay with that design.

After reading the comment on the ammo can I gave it some thought and I think it could be view either way; as, hey I found it or I'm goint to place it somewhere.

I do think I need to add the tail, when I made the original some months ago I was not sure how to do it.

Thanks for the ideas on the background. The original was made to look as if a child used a crayon to color in the picture. I didn't do that to the monkey itself as I thought it would not look right, not enough color.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by maldar

maldar

rsg

My niece is a very cute 12 year old girl. She looks nothing like a monkey nor thinks she looks like one either. The name comes from when she was little and climbing and hang on everything, not her looks. She still likes the name and loves all the cartoonish monkey type things out there.

Do you only wear Red Shoes? I'm betting that is a no, nor do you see yourself as a shoe.

LOL Very good point there.

maldar

rsg

pretty much only wear red shoes except for my hiking boots. can't find them in red. do i see myself as a shoe? hmmmmm, no, more like don quioxte!

a shoe, that's a thought. :ph34r:

rsg

I think it looks very nice. Does good for a child's geocoin.

On the back how about showing her climbing the Geocaching emblem.

Is it going to be trackable?

If so how about having "Trackable at Geocaching.com" in an arch and showing her hanging from it. (Like monkey bars at a playground)?

I think this is one coin I will be waiting on to get.

Thanks

kf4oox - Paul

Hello! Nice design! :ph34r: I have to say that when I read that she used to climp and hang on everything, a funny image came in my mind!

Imagine a coin and as a design..... a tree and bushes, a young girl who climped on a the tree, and she is hanging from a branch, trying to reach a hiden cache (ammo box), with her hand. on the other branch, 2 monkeys are watching surprised!!! :D I do not know if you got the picture...B)

If so how about having "Trackable at Geocaching.com" in an arch and showing her hanging from it. (Like monkey bars at a playground)?

Thanks

kf4oox - Paul

Wow, I like that. I could do it with both. Have a foot on the edge of the Logo and her reaching for the "Trackable at Geocaching.com" in the arch.

Hello! Nice design! I have to say that when I read that she used to climp and hang on everything, a funny image came in my mind!

Imagine a coin and as a design..... a tree and bushes, a young girl who climped on a the tree, and she is hanging from a branch, trying to reach a hiden cache (ammo box), with her hand. on the other branch, 2 monkeys are watching surprised!!! I do not know if you got the picture...

This is a good idea for another coin. I like it very much. One of the monkies should be scratching he head in wonder.

Thanks for the ideas.

maldar

Thanks

kf4oox - Paul

Wow, I like that. I could do it with both. Have a foot on the edge of the Logo and her reaching for the "Trackable at Geocaching.com" in the arch.

Thanks for the ideas.

maldar

Hey you are welcome. I will be looking forward to this coin.

Thanks

kf4oox - Paul

Hey Maldar:

In reference to my comment about something different in her left hand, what I meant was that her "hand" didn't look like a hand (or paw?), it looked like an empty circle as opposed to what her right hand looks like holding the ammo can. I found it a little distracting as shown. Adding fingers wrapped around the GPS is graphically difficult, but that would be my preference. In place of doing that, if you could some how make her left hand look more similar to her right one without obscuring the GPS.

You said she uses a Garmin Legend. I don't know what they look like, but if what you have displayed looks like the Legend, I would agree that you should stick with that. Several years from now, your niece will look at one of these coins and it will bring back favored memories. Eventually, she will get another GPS, but seeing her current one in this coin will be historically important for her.

I think kf4oox's idea of having her swinging off of the Groundspeak Logo on the backside if the coin is outstanding, but like yours just as much about having one foot on the edge of the Logo and her reaching for the "Trackable at Geocaching.com" in the arch. Works perfectly. MonkeyKathleen is fortunate to have an uncle like you. Great job so far, very cool :laughing:

Thanks

kf4oox - Paul

Hello! Nice design! I have to say that when I read that she used to climp and hang on everything, a funny image came in my mind!

Imagine a coin and as a design..... a tree and bushes, a young girl who climped on a the tree, and she is hanging from a branch, trying to reach a hiden cache (ammo box), with her hand. on the other branch, 2 monkeys are watching surprised!!! I do not know if you got the picture...

This is a good idea for another coin. I like it very much. One of the monkies should be scratching he head in wonder.

Thanks for the ideas.

maldar

Yes! my friend! That was exactly what I had in mind! The monkey scratching his head in wonder!!! :D

It will be a nice design for the next coin! :laughing:

Hey Maldar:

In reference to my comment about something different in her left hand, what I meant was that her "hand" didn't look like a hand (or paw?), it looked like an empty circle as opposed to what her right hand looks like holding the ammo can. I found it a little distracting as shown. Adding fingers wrapped around the GPS is graphically difficult, but that would be my preference. In place of doing that, if you could some how make her left hand look more similar to her right one without obscuring the GPS.

You said she uses a Garmin Legend. I don't know what they look like, but if what you have displayed looks like the Legend, I would agree that you should stick with that. Several years from now, your niece will look at one of these coins and it will bring back favored memories. Eventually, she will get another GPS, but seeing her current one in this coin will be historically important for her.

I think kf4oox's idea of having her swinging off of the Groundspeak Logo on the backside if the coin is outstanding, but like yours just as much about having one foot on the edge of the Logo and her reaching for the "Trackable at Geocaching.com" in the arch. Works perfectly. MonkeyKathleen is fortunate to have an uncle like you. Great job so far, very cool :laughing:

Thanks for the info. I used the same circle for each hand. Maybe if I change the coloring it would look better. What the Garmin Ledgend looks like. That is a shrunken image of it in her hand, LOL. I only spent the afternoon making the original image and have not gotten back to it untill now. She liked it so I figured why change it. Now is a good time to tweak certain aspects of the image and everyone's help is much appreciated.

Thanks for all the ideas and keep them coming. Even if you think your idea is silly or minor, it could inspire big change.

Thanks,

maldar