More than 1000 WP's in 60Cx?

I recently upgraded from a broken Merigold to a Garmin 60Cx.

I'm used to having an SD card where I can load sets of waypoints into memory, therefore allowing me access to virtually as many thousands of waypoints as I had space to store.

Now witht he Garmin, I can't see that there is a way to store more than 1000 waypoints at any given time, no matter what capacity the SD card is.

Am I wrong? Is there no way to store more than a thousand waypoints, geocaches, benchmarks, etc in a Garmin SD card without having to reload them from a computer everytime you wanted a different set of 1000?

How do I do this POI stuff?

Do I need an external POI program or is it incorporated in Mapsource somewhere?

Waypoints are stored in the unit's memory, not on the card. POI's are stored on the card. Garmin has a POI loader, and some folks load caches as POI's in the tens of thousands.

How do I do this POI stuff?

Do I need an external POI program or is it incorporated in Mapsource somewhere?

Waypoints are stored in the unit's memory, not on the card. POI's are stored on the card. Garmin has a POI loader, and some folks load caches as POI's in the tens of thousands.

You need to download the free POI Loader program from the Garmin website.

POIs are similar to waypoints but have some limitations and advantages that waypoints don't.

Advantage:

* limited only by card memory (up to 2gb)

* longer description field than wayponts

Disadvantages:

* can only see PIOs with 50 miles of current location

* no way to mark them "found", or change their icon or text

Edited by Prime Suspect

QUICK STEP INSTRUCTION:

1) install: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927

2) Take all your waypoints from Mapsource and save it under e.g. c:\myWaypoints\test.gpx

3) connect gps

3) start the POI-Loader and load c:\myWaypoints\test.gpx

4) on the gps you have all the waypoints under custom POIs

for further steps with more experience and better results try this one:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...0808&hl=poi

That is correct. BIG disadvantage is they do not show up on the display unless you zoom in very close. You can change the POI display zoom setting but then all 6 million other POI’s in City Navigator will also be displayed. The 60Cx doesn’t know the difference between a POI or a Geocache loaded as a POI. To it a POI is a POI.

Disadvantages:

Once you select a custom POI, you can use the save button to transfer it to waypoints as a geocache. From there you treat it like any other geocache including marking as found and changing the icon. Just leave some room in the waypoints memory for the transfer.

Disadvantages:

Once you select a custom POI, you can use the save button to transfer it to waypoints as a geocache. From there you treat it like any other geocache including marking as found and changing the icon. Just leave some room in the waypoints memory for the transfer.

You missed my point. What you're suggesting still doesn't mark the POI as found. Since you've loaded the caches as POIs, you're going to be looking at the POI list to see where nearby cache are. And there's no way to mark the ones you've already found, or remove them from the list.

Is there a tutorial or something about this POI stuff?

I loaded some up using the POI loader, but can't see them on my mapscreen.

It is true the POIs only show up when you are zoomed in, but I use the POI loader to put almost 8,000 POIs on my GPSr.

This is what I have in my "Update" folder:

Unfound.gpx

Unfound.bmp (Treasure Chest icon)

Found.gpx

Found.bmp (Treasure Chest icon with Checkmark)

FoundArchived.gpx

FoundArchived.bmp (Little Tombstone)

Benchmarks.gpx

Benchmarks.bmp (Blue Dot)

I just point the POI loader to that Update folder and it loads all those files at the same time.

Now for my next trick.

Seperating different databases into different GPXs for conversion to POIs is great. Using different Icons for singles, multis, and benchmarks.

So can anyone tell me how I could seperate the child waypoints with GSAK so I can use difereent custom icons for those as well?

Is there even a way?