Piggybacking Earthcaches- can this be done?

wishing_on_a_star

Was looking for "new" EC's to do and saw this "new" one available, click on it and to my surprise :D , the new EC (GC1DBZ2) is actually put where another EC that is listed as Temporarily Unavailable (GC1CEHK) was located first... Can this be allowed? I find it very Ironic...

Edited by wishing_on_a_star

Yes I have seen and read the post in that Banning Someone.

I am new this Earthcaching and Geocaching, I have some friends that are in to it and I have been a few times on both hunts. This is how I knew of the Cave Hill Cemetery one that I am asking about.

So I am guessing here that when a person is "temporarily" banned that basically means that their EC's are up for anyone to go on and take over? I was reading in that EC and as Joranda pointed out it is "Temporarily Unavailable" and being "Archieved", wouldn't the owner of Earthcache save this cache til the owner of the Cave Hill cache's temp banned is lifted off of them? If you look the Hidden Dates are One month apart on this EC. :D

This happening makes me think do I want to get into Earthcaching at all, so if my son and I went out and was to set up a EC and I believe I have all the information/documentation and then a few weeks later my EC is put in Archieve or placed Temp. Unav. can someone else come in and go on and set their's up over mine, even if it is a few feet away? kinda unfair dont you think, with me putting it out first. It would seem that when a person is setting up a EC and if it is "overlapping" or a "few feet" away from one that is already there, that the Owner of Earthcache would notify that second person that there is already a EC there and that the second person's EC is null and void. If this is not the case then anyone can just go to other caches and walk a few feet away from the original coordinates and set your own up...... I am just trying to understand how all of this operates so I dont get the owner of Earthcache mad/upset at me. If I was setting up a EC and then was notified that there was one already there even if it was "Temporarily Unavailable" or not, I would not want to be "Piggybacking" over someone else's EC....

Edited by wishing_on_a_star

Yes I have seen and read the post in that Banning Someone.

I am new this Earthcaching and Geocaching, I have some friends that are in to it and I have been a few times on both hunts. This is how I knew of the Cave Hill Cemetery one that I am asking about.

Yes, I can see you are new...no finds and only posts about these earthcaches with issues.

You ought to come to some of the local events (I'm guessing you are local?). You can meet both these guys that have (had) the earthcaches there in Cave Hill and talk to them more about it.

My guess (and I haven't asked either of them about it so I am just guessing) is that both of them are less concerned with who gets that earthcache published and more concerned with the fact that it got published because the area is so cool.

I have sent Cav Scout a email and just waiting on a response about all of this. I am just wanting to know the rights and wrongs of this, because I have read through the policy, but coming into these forums where I thought "anything" could be talked about, there seems to be cracks that need to be fixed. I am not meaning to offened anyone in here with the questions and I didnt know there was a certain way of rank of finds before questions could be asked about these on going issues. Just wanting to get bases covered before I venture out doing Earthcaches/Geocaches, I like doing research on interests I have my eye on, thats all. :ph34r: no hard feelings, its all good! B)

I have sent Cav Scout a email and just waiting on a response about all of this. I am just wanting to know the rights and wrongs of this, because I have read through the policy, but coming into these forums where I thought "anything" could be talked about, there seems to be cracks that need to be fixed. I am not meaning to offened anyone in here with the questions and I didnt know there was a certain way of rank of finds before questions could be asked about these on going issues. Just wanting to get bases covered before I venture out doing Earthcaches/Geocaches, I like doing research on interests I have my eye on, thats all. :ph34r: no hard feelings, its all good! B)

Who suggested anything couldn't be talked about here?

Of course it is rather sad that we've only had these earthcaching forums a few days and already there are so many people who seem to want to drag a lot of ugliness into what has been a very enjoyable experience before now. But you just have to expect that out of these forums, I suppose.

I just thought that you'd like to meet a few of the other locals, being new and all.

I have sent Cav Scout a email and just waiting on a response about all of this. I am just wanting to know the rights and wrongs of this, because I have read through the policy, but coming into these forums where I thought "anything" could be talked about, there seems to be cracks that need to be fixed. I am not meaning to offened anyone in here with the questions and I didnt know there was a certain way of rank of finds before questions could be asked about these on going issues. Just wanting to get bases covered before I venture out doing Earthcaches/Geocaches, I like doing research on interests I have my eye on, thats all. :D no hard feelings, its all good! :D

Who suggested anything couldn't be talked about here?

Of course it is rather sad that we've only had these earthcaching forums a few days and already there are so many people who seem to want to drag a lot of ugliness into what has been a very enjoyable experience before now. But you just have to expect that out of these forums, I suppose.

I just thought that you'd like to meet a few of the other locals, being new and all.

So many people? So far all I've seen doing it are either related to each other or obvious sockpuppets. :laughing:

I suspect "so many people" is more like 1 or 2.